Author Topic: Foods to Eat While Fighting Candida  (Read 181778 times)

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
Re: Foods to Eat While Fighting Candida
« Reply #150 on: May 05, 2008, 02:34:05 PM »
What about dried berries like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc. ? Maybe not durring the 2 week non-carbs, but the weeks after that???

Why is squash (like pumpkin) OK and yet sweet potatoes/yams are a no-no, I wonder?

Starch=carbs=yeast food.  That would be my guess.

Of course!  ::) Hmm...pumpkin and raw walnuts coming right up. Yum.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #151 on: May 05, 2008, 02:57:28 PM »
For some reason, dried fruits are supposed to be more starchy than the real ones, so, if you can, it would be better to eat the fresh berries.  Berries are a good fruit to start with, though, as they are less yeast-feeding than other fruits.  Green apples and grapefruit are also acceptable in small amounts. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2008, 09:28:43 AM »
For some reason, dried fruits are supposed to be more starchy than the real ones, so, if you can, it would be better to eat the fresh berries.  Berries are a good fruit to start with, though, as they are less yeast-feeding than other fruits.  Green apples and grapefruit are also acceptable in small amounts. 
Dried and candied fruits do not have more sugar than the original piece of fruit in total but in ratio.

If a berry has .5 gram of water in it and .5 gram of flesh and .5 gram of sugar then 15 grams of berries would contain 5 grams of sugar.

If you remove the water, then it will take more berries and therefore more sugar to make up the total weight.  So now, 15 grams of berries would actually contain 7.5 grams of sugar.  Make sense?

My favorite herb book!!

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2008, 10:33:55 AM »

Dried and candied fruits do not have more sugar than the original piece of fruit in total but in ratio.

If a berry has .5 gram of water in it and .5 gram of flesh and .5 gram of sugar then 15 grams of berries would contain 5 grams of sugar.

If you remove the water, then it will take more berries and therefore more sugar to make up the total weight.  So now, 15 grams of berries would actually contain 7.5 grams of sugar.  Make sense?

Yep. Drying berries doesn't make things sweeter, but the sugar is still there. Shrink berry, shrink amount. Just pure logic, dear Watson (ett)  ;D Sorry. No name calling, even if it was aimed at myself  ::)  :-X

My question stemmed from an idea I've had to create a "candy" bar to take to work for my breakfasts that:

1. I can easily eat
2. Doesn't have many carb.s
3. Is tasty.

I've come up with a variety of things that I could make a bar with, but I wanted to make sure of the dried fruit idea first, as I would be drying the fruit in the oven with the other ingredients. I plan to combine in a bowl something in the variety of:

Nuts
Seeds (ground flax)
Coconut oil
Stevia (in packets from Sweet Leaf. I've tried others, but I like this best)
Carob powder
Berries, dried or not (Could dry them first if I want "raisens")
Dried tart cherries, cut into small bits for fun coloring
Salt
Soda
Spices (ie cinnamon, ginger, etc.)
vanilla or other extract
Possibly some sprouted and/or soaked GF grain of some sort...buckwheat? Quinoa? The like, anyway.
Maybe some vit. C to preserve colors a bit.

I would then find the NT cookbook ( I think is what it is called. It's what everyone in here is talking about, which I have but don't have it handy ::)) and find a similar recipe and follow the baking instructions from there on; keeping the oven temp. low, turning the mixture/block over once, storing the result in bar shapes wrapped in plastic and stored in the refrigerator.

Anyways, there's my idea. Any helpful suggestions would be gladly read by me! :)

I'll post the results later of my glob invention... ;D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 12:41:22 PM by naturalgirl »

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2008, 08:02:36 AM »
Both my sister and I are doing a Candida detox right now, and we both, although we've felt funny and have had a few gas cramps, haven't had much to complain about sickness-wise. Yea!  ;D I thought we'd be feeling sick for at least two days and was really dreading that.

One of the things I've come to the conclusion on is probably familiar with many of you, but I'm going to say it anyway to encourage any newbies like myself... IMO, you do what you can and don't worry about what you can't, food-wise (Or anything, for that matter, I guess  :D). I don't count my carb.s. I eat a minor amount of no-nos, as does my sister, because that is what we have to eat. I don't pout or tense up when my Dad wants me to eat a helping of potatoes, and I sleep well at night.    I am so glad for water. Actually, water has become sweet to me, to my surprise. I drink a lot because I can tell it is helping ("light" instead of "dark" neon yellow pee!  :D :D), and because I now love the taste of it. I drink a special carrot drink when my mom has time to make it, and don't worry about the carbs in the carrots. I'm getting bord of stir fry, so I'm going to make up a batch of maybe soup next. Hopefully my family will leave me some, lol... See what I mean? It has become a fun game in my mind to focus on what I can instead of what I can't, and a big relief too. I do miss the foods I see at the store sometimes, I admit, but not much. I guess I've personally had it easy there as allergies have closed doors to me many times in the past.

OK, I'll stop jabbering for now. I just thought my "new" discovery of not having to be nitty gritty picky and worried over what I eat/should eat an exciting one. You know what I'm going to eat first when I get off my more strict diet? A banana with peanut butter. Yummm... ;D

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #155 on: May 11, 2008, 12:04:11 PM »
I read somewhere that small anounts of goats milk is ok when on a candida diet. My dh has been using it as creamer in his coffee. Why is g :ooats milk ok and cows milk is not? I am trying to convince him to use Kefir.... We will see!
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #156 on: May 13, 2008, 05:54:54 AM »
For those who are fighting hunger/cravings, I found that taking my  supplements when i get hungry (instead of during meals) helps to curb the craving for a bit and usually until the next scheduled meal.  The extra bulk from the supplements and the water fill up the tummy and give it something to do beside growl at me.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2008, 04:11:24 AM »
OK  All...I am back with more questions!! My DH did the candida diet for 10 days with about 95% sticking to it. Then he ate what ever for 3 days. Then 7 more days at 100%. Now brokke it for 2 days and I think is going to start sticking to it agin today. So...he is really getting frustrated with what he can't eat. He seems to see no improvement with the Rash he has which is the main thing he wants to get rid of on this diet. My opinion is if he keeps sticking to it he will see results, but he is tired of it and isn't  sure. If I cooked a low carb diet with no sugar for him and he kept taking his supplements would that be enough tokill the Candida? I am at a loss as what to do to help him that he will be able to stick to. Ideas?? Help??
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #158 on: May 22, 2008, 01:16:58 AM »
HB...and anyone else who has done a candida cleanse...did you quit drinking coffee while on the cleanse?  HB, I know you love your coffee as I do, so I am particularly interested in knowing if you stopped or not. 

I have been on a liver cleansing diet for 2 weeks now- no dairy at all- well, except a little bit of 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee  ::), tons of raw fruits and veggies and raw juices, whole wheat bread, pasta and brown rice, lots of sardines, tuna, and salmon, no red meat, no sugar.  Anyway, I am thinking this will be a great jumping off point to do my long awaited candida cleanse since I will have already eliminated many of the forbidden foods.

I've got the coffee down to one cup a day with just a little 1/2 and 1/2 in it.  So to make a long post short, DID YOU GIVE UP THE COFFEE??!!??  ;D :D
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2008, 03:26:59 AM »
HB...and anyone else who has done a candida cleanse...did you quit drinking coffee while on the cleanse?  HB, I know you love your coffee as I do, so I am particularly interested in knowing if you stopped or not.
Umm........ ;D

I typically drink coffee all thru the winter and stop as soon as it gets too hot.  This is just a normal seasonal thing for me.  I cleansed for 10 months, but if I remember correctly, I started my "no carbs" thing in the summer when I was off coffee for the season....however, if you use only real cream (1/2 & 1/2 isn't real cream  :D ) and stevia in your coffee, then I don't see any reason why you couldn't have it.  No carbs in there.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2008, 04:07:57 AM »
if you use only real cream (1/2 & 1/2 isn't real cream  :D )

I usually use light cream in my coffee actually :)  I don't like that oil slick that the heavy cream leaves on the top LOL

If I sweeten my coffee at all, I use a teaspoon of real maple syrup.  MMMMM.
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2008, 11:13:59 AM »
I've been working on an article on vegetable oils as a result of a statement I heard during a conference. The speaker spoke about vegetable oils as if everyone knew they were pretty much unhealthy. It got me to wondering what I had missed. I mean, these are heart-healthy things, right?

I started doing some digging. At the end of this post is the link to my results, but I wanted to also take the time to say that one of the things I did discover is that in oils that have been extracted from seeds and vegetables by solvent extraction (basically, your exceptions to this process are the cold-pressed, extra virgin, organic oils) . . .

Off the top of my head, these would include canola (rapeseed), cottonseed, soy, corn, sunflower . . . etc.

ALL of these oils are dangerous to consume if you are trying to fend off an overgrowth of yeast (or make other healthful changes in your diet).

Why is that?

Because of the chemical solvents used in processing. The product is cooked and then a solvent is introduced to bind with the oils. The solvent is then extracted from the oil. This process is called solvent extraction. These are octane-type chemicals that are poisons and should never be introduced into the body. ONE of these chemicals is called Hexane.

Hexane has mutagenic effects for bacteria and/or yeast. A mutagen is a substance that tends to increase the frequency or extent of mutation. This means that bacteria and yeast could be made to mutate and become resistant to attempts to rid the body of the invaders. . . . And, BTW, this isn't even one of the more potent toxins that are used. . . But the industry assures us that all of these things are filtered out of your 'heart healthy' oils -- or at least lowered to inconsequential amounts.  ;D ::) :-\

Anyway, here's the link to the article (it contains links to source material)
Vegetable Oils Unsafe? A Lot to Swallow!
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #162 on: September 29, 2008, 08:52:02 AM »

Yep. Drying berries doesn't make things sweeter, but the sugar is still there. Shrink berry, shrink amount. Just pure logic, dear Watson (ett)  ;D Sorry. No name calling, even if it was aimed at myself  ::)  :-X

My question stemmed from an idea I've had to create a "candy" bar to take to work for my breakfasts that:

1. I can easily eat
2. Doesn't have many carb.s
3. Is tasty.

I've come up with a variety of things that I could make a bar with, but I wanted to make sure of the dried fruit idea first, as I would be drying the fruit in the oven with the other ingredients. I plan to combine in a bowl something in the variety of:

Nuts
Seeds (ground flax)
Coconut oil
Stevia (in packets from Sweet Leaf. I've tried others, but I like this best)
Carob powder
Berries, dried or not (Could dry them first if I want "raisens")
Dried tart cherries, cut into small bits for fun coloring
Salt
Soda
Spices (ie cinnamon, ginger, etc.)
vanilla or other extract
Possibly some sprouted and/or soaked GF grain of some sort...buckwheat? Quinoa? The like, anyway.
Maybe some vit. C to preserve colors a bit.

I would then find the NT cookbook ( I think is what it is called. It's what everyone in here is talking about, which I have but don't have it handy ::)) and find a similar recipe and follow the baking instructions from there on; keeping the oven temp. low, turning the mixture/block over once, storing the result in bar shapes wrapped in plastic and stored in the refrigerator.

Anyways, there's my idea. Any helpful suggestions would be gladly read by me! :)

I'll post the results later of my glob invention... ;D

wondering if you ever did this?  it sounds good and would love a recipe like this.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #163 on: October 06, 2008, 03:57:30 PM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #164 on: October 07, 2008, 10:06:57 AM »
I've read whole grains are okay and I've read no carbs at all. Do you think that if I made some biscuits with whole wheat flour, no white flour, no sugar, and yogurt instead of milk, those would not encourage candida? I'm starving here trying to avoid everything and need something to fill up with.

Offline carolina girl

• Adept
« Reply #165 on: October 14, 2008, 09:35:59 AM »
Alright, I ordered my list of supplements this morning and I am armed with a great list of foods that I can eat.  The only problem is that I don't know how to prepare most of the foods on this list.  And, are there any seasonings that I need to be avoiding on my foods?  I will list out all the foods listed by someone else previously, and if you know a great way to prepare the listed food item, would you please be so kind as to post that, as well? Obviously, some items are well known, but a new way to prepare them for a candida cleanse could be helpful and provide some variety.  Thanks so much!

avocados
broccoli
cauliflower
celery
lemons and limes
coconut oil
fresh seeds and nuts
Psyllium
glucomannon
inulin
artichoke
asparagus
bamboo shoots
bell pepper
beet top
bok choy
brussel sprouts
cabbage
chive
cilantro
collard
chard
cucumber
dandelion
eggplant
endive
escarole
garlic
green beans
kale
kohlrabi
leek
lettuce
mushroom*
okra
onion
parsley
fresh peas
radish
radiccio
spinach
sprouts
squash, (not banana or hubbard)
swiss chard
turnip top
watercress
zucchini

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #166 on: October 14, 2008, 10:57:17 AM »
I saute in oil and garlic; or roast in the oven in the same; cardomon and cinnamon is a great combo to make you think something is sweet; I posted a recipe for almond scones you could try..ommitting the raisins and using coconut oil on them...
1 1/2 c. almond flour ( or meal)
3/4 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 tsp cardomon
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup yogurt
2 eggs
1/4 c walnuts
mix all and bake at 375 for about 15 mins
From the SC Diet.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #167 on: October 14, 2008, 05:05:09 PM »
here's my guacamole recipe (blue items were on your list):

1 avocado
2 T sour cream
2 T salsa
2-3 cloves garlic pressed
a handful of cilantro
2 t. onion
2 black olives
1 t. lemon or lime juice

puree in food processor.

this can make lots of other things taste flavorful!  you can leave out the salsa and sour cream if you want to avoid them, or replace with yogurt.  it just makes it creamy.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 05:08:36 PM by 4myhoonie »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #168 on: October 14, 2008, 05:07:42 PM »
i would put the garlic, onion, kale, cabbage, & zucchini into most soups.  if i chop them fine my kids don't even know what they are!   ;D

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #169 on: October 14, 2008, 06:05:13 PM »
The first thing I noticed on that list were leeks.  They are delicous!  You have to rinse them really well, layer by layer, then boil them in water.  The water makes a great veggie broth.  The leeks are really good sprinkled with sea salt, and a drizzle of olive oil or butter.  I could make a meal just out of leeks.  Yum!

They are also really, really good in eggs.  You could make a crustless quiche or frittata, and put in some leeks for flavor. 

Cauliflower is fabulous in a pureed soup.  It adds thickness and creaminess to it, kind of like potatoes, but good for a yeast diet!

This time of year, fall squash is really good as well.  Butternut squash is really yummy mashed up with cinnamon, and spaghetti squash is an awsome pasta substitute.

You can add kale to cole slaw, to give it some color.   Kale is also used a lot in green juices.  I blend mine in a vitamix with a green apple, whenever I need energy (which is pretty much every day)  :)  It's not very good cooked like collard greens, though.  I tried that once, and it was really slimy.   :P

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #170 on: October 19, 2008, 06:12:52 AM »
For Nappa cabbage, swiss chard, and turnip tops, make kimchi.  For the cabbage, serve as a condiment or eat as a side.  For the dark green kimchi, boil with chicken until chicken is done and eat as a side with the chicken.

Use the traditional kimchi recipe for both.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,44.msg122.html#msg122
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #171 on: December 29, 2008, 05:13:37 AM »
My daughter is on a anti yeast and fungal diet whilst taking Nystatin.  I was given a list of foods to eat and avoid.  Surprisingly, it stated that honey could be eaten in small quantities, because it contained anti-fungal properties.  I thought that was odd, because I figured all sugar had to be avoided? 
But on this diet, absolutely NO grains are allowed at all.  I am wondering why there are some grains that people have said were o.k. on this thread?  Maybe I am reading the wrong thread, or something. lol ??

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #172 on: December 29, 2008, 11:39:48 AM »
Many of the vegetables you listed are excellent in stirfries. Hopefully I will remember to come back and post recipes soon.  ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2008, 03:31:39 PM »
My daughter is on a anti yeast and fungal diet whilst taking Nystatin.  I was given a list of foods to eat and avoid.  Surprisingly, it stated that honey could be eaten in small quantities, because it contained anti-fungal properties.  I thought that was odd, because I figured all sugar had to be avoided? 
But on this diet, absolutely NO grains are allowed at all.  I am wondering why there are some grains that people have said were o.k. on this thread?  Maybe I am reading the wrong thread, or something. lol ??
I avoided all grains until week 3 and then only added whole grains (oats & wheat) back in gradually thereafter.
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #174 on: December 30, 2008, 04:29:37 PM »
We, ahem ::), were cheating w/ some of the "better" grains...buckwheat (isn't that a grass?), blue chips, red potatoes, quinoa, etc.  Some purists would say NO grains at all.  I guess it depends on how fast/painful you want to go.  ;D  Steve Tallent had a good post...it's quoted in the anti-yeast log thread...about battles, the war itself, and strategies...GAPS has no grains, but that's a bigger issue than yeast.

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #175 on: December 31, 2008, 05:28:09 AM »
Here is a cheater cookie...it does have a small amount of honey.  I made a half batch and they were yummy.  I also subbed crispy almonds for the cashews.  If xylitol is antifungal they are a good choice...not sure how you could leave out the honey though...it sort of binds it all together.

Cookies:
Soak 2 cups of cashews for about 8 hours.
Rinse well in a bowl of fresh water and strain.
Repeat about 3 times.
Add the cashews to the food processor with:
2 tbs ghee or use virgin coconut oil for raw cookies
2 tbs honey
1 tbs xylitol
2 tsp vanilla
Puree. Scrape the sides, then add:
1 cup shredded coconut
Puree. Roll and press into shape. Dehydrate for 24 hours at 130 to 140 degrees.

Mrs. P

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #176 on: December 31, 2008, 05:30:41 AM »
oh..the above cookie would not be approved for the Bee's diet (nuts, coconut, xylitol, honey all are not permitted on it)...but possibly for GAPS and with the exception of xylitol it would be maker's diet friendly...

Jammie

Mrs. P

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #177 on: January 19, 2009, 11:26:59 AM »
How bad would it be for someone trying to fight candida to have RAW Organic Cows milk?? Would it REALLY sabbatoge the whole cleanse? Or would it just slow it a tiny bit? ???
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #178 on: January 19, 2009, 11:56:54 AM »
How bad would it be for someone trying to fight candida to have RAW Organic Cows milk?? Would it REALLY sabbatoge the whole cleanse? Or would it just slow it a tiny bit? ???

My daughter and I consumed it and it didn't seem to affect us at all.

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #179 on: January 20, 2009, 09:14:16 AM »

My daughter and I consumed it and it didn't seem to affect us at all.
Thats awesome to hear! We JUST found an AWESOME source of RAW milk, and I just DON'T wanna pass it by! Obviously if it does affect us, we'll have to stop... but we'll see! Thanks!
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.