Author Topic: Foods to Eat While Fighting Candida  (Read 159476 times)

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
Re: Foods to Eat While Fighting Candida
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2008, 03:30:39 PM »
Has anyone tried eating the quinoa or millet or alt. grains?  I haven't tried them yet.  I'm not sure how the carbs work or if it doesn't matter since they are gluten free.  I'm still eating mostly salads, meat, cheese and eggs.  I do have some recipes for quinoa and hot cereals, but was afraid to try them yet.  I've also had a few potatoes here and there (like maybe 1/4 c.)  Last night I had two tostadas (12 carbs) with 1/2 c. refried beans (11 net carbs) topped with lettuce, tomato, cheese and sour cream.  I think I calculated my whole meal to be around 24 net carbs.

This week we are having salmon patties.   I also bought some spaghetti squash, turnips, and cauliflower.  I'm making cauli-"rice" with the cauliflower.  You run the cauliflower in the food processor until it is fine like rice.  Then you steam it and season it.  I'm thinking we may have beef and broccoli with it using venison.

We are also having:
Crustless Quiche (not sure the total carbs)
    *  5 eggs
    * 1/4 cup flour (I may leave this out or try quinoa flour)
    * 1/2 tsp. salt
    * 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    * 1/2 stick melted butter
    * 1 cup cottage cheese
    * 1/2 lb. grated cheddar cheese

Combine all ingredients and pour into a well-greased 9x9 pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce to 350° and cook for 30-40 more minutes.

Jammie
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 03:32:54 PM by pljammie »
Mrs. P

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2008, 04:47:23 PM »
here's my recipe for Egg Frittata:

12 eggs
2 c. milk (heavy cr. would prob. work)
1/2 pound or so cooked breakfast sausage
1/2 -1 c. cheese
green onions

mix and add sausage, then top with cheese & gr. onions.  also, may omit sausage and use bacon bits on top.  salt and pepper over the top.  bake
for 30-35 min til not slimy in middle @ 350*  it's great!! 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 05:24:36 PM by 4myhoonie »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline bpryor

• Learning
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2008, 06:04:30 AM »
Can I eat canned tomatoes?

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2008, 08:36:24 AM »
Canned tomatoes should be fine...they are a little lower in carbs than some veggies.  The can should give you a carb count on the back for each serving.  You can subtract fiber from that amount.

Roasted Veggies

2 small turnips, diced
1/2 large sweet potato, diced
1 zucchini, diced
3-4  T. coconut, olive oil or butter
1 small sprig of rosemary, finely chopped
a generous sprinkle of seasoned pepper
1/2 t. coarse kosher salt

Stir all together.  I use my round stoneware baking dish.  An 8 x11 dish would work too.  I pre-cook in the microwave for 5 minutes, if I'm in a hurry.  Roast at 475* until crispy and browned on top (15-20 minutes).  You will need to stir every once in a while to get the veggies evenly browned.  Everyone loved this at lunch today...well, except 2 out of 3 kids kids, but they ate it anyway since they didn't get a choice. ;D

We also had this cabbage recipe http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fried-Cabbage-II/Detail.aspx from www.allrecipes.com  You can sub stevia for the sugar or just leave it out like I did.  Although my mom in law said her mom always added the sugar and it makes a big difference in the taste.

Also, we tried the spaghetti squash and it was very good.  It is a little tiny bit crunchy, but I really liked it with spaghetti sauce.  I think it would be really good with butter and parmesan cheese as well. 

Jammie

Mrs. P

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2008, 12:04:38 PM »
Are Mushrooms ok on a candida diet? How about alcohol? Like Crown Royal?
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2008, 05:18:28 PM »

Mushrooms are not permitted on a Candida cleanse.  I don't have the info at my fingertips.  My MIL is doing a CC now, she started this week.  She got all her info from the Hallelujah Acres folks. 
If you want specifics, I can post them tomorrow............
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2008, 04:25:07 AM »

Mushrooms are not permitted on a Candida cleanse.  I don't have the info at my fingertips.  My MIL is doing a CC now, she started this week.  She got all her info from the Hallelujah Acres folks. 
I would love to have specifics when you have time. Thanks!

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2008, 09:04:57 AM »
I've been to the store and I am back with more ???'s! ::) Is popcorn ok to eat? Is it a seed or a grain? I would still like to know about alcohol and details on mushrooms.... ;DThanks!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2008, 09:58:39 AM »
I've been to the store and I am back with more ???'s! ::) Is popcorn ok to eat? Is it a seed or a grain? I would still like to know about alcohol and details on mushrooms.... ;DThanks!

no popcorn, no alcohol, just count your carbs and limit it.  i did great when i stayed under 30 or 35.  then the higher i got the more trouble i had.  when you add things in, just add in whole grains.  lowest carb fruits maybe.  counting them of course.  be sure you are using probiotics and if you have leaky gut, use something like Primal defense, cod liver oil, or other things that would heal the gut lining.  hope this helps! 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2008, 11:24:51 AM »
If you scroll down after clicking on this link, there is a very easy to understand list of what to eat and what not to eat.

http://www.yeastinfectionadvisor.com/candidadiet.html

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »
Has anyone tried eating the quinoa or millet or alt. grains? 

Yes.  I like quinoa best in pilafs.  It's really good with indian spices and sauteed veggies.  Millet is the best bfast cereal IMO, and buckwheat makes good flatbread.  You can make pancakes with buckwheat, but they taste pretty strong.  Not our favorite.  How are you doing??  Still on the diet?

Thanks for the quiche recipe.  We might make that this week!

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2008, 05:57:57 PM »
I'm still on the diet...sort of...there was a bad time this weekend that involved Blue Bell ice cream...but I'm pretending it didn't happen.  :-[

I'm still enjoying my taco salad on a regular basis...although the kids asked why I keep making mexican food...lol.  They really would like some pizza, but I haven't had time to try out the parmesan pizza crust recipe from here.

So far, I am eating lots of cheese, boiled eggs, nuts and meat of some sort.  I've also stooped to eating pork rinds for something crunchy.  :o   I bought more turnips for the roasted veggies.

We had chili rellenos casserole last night and it was good. (12 net carbs for 1/8th of it.  I used raw milk in place of the evaporated milk, and whole wheat flour for the thickener.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chiles-Rellenos-Pie/Detail.aspx

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2008, 05:24:22 PM »
we had a meal that passed the test the other night.  nothing spectacular, but pretty good.  cook chicken breasts (boneless) in a skillet or stoneware, cover with cheese and crumbled bacon.  we had green beans with cheese, and salad.  everyone seems to miss the potatoes, etc.  i think it may be a consistency thing.  after i get going i don't miss that stuff.  my kids are too back and forth on it.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2008, 07:42:10 AM »

Mushrooms and stinky cheese and other types of edible fungi and mold are not recommended by most of the experts who write about yeast.  The only reasoning I have been able to find was on one website where the author said that yeasts cross react.  I've even read the Yeast Connection Cookbook and other than giving a directive not to eat these things I cannot recall the author giving any reasons why not to.

Here's my thoughts.  Mushrooms do not cause yeast as far as I know.  The are very low in carbs and contain no unnatural sugars or hormones that might feed candida.  They also do not crossbreed with candida as far as any logical research that I've done.  If you can find some documentation to refute this, I'd be very interested as this question comes up alot.

I personally ate stinky cheese and mushrooms alot while cleansing from yeast and had no issues.  I suppose it's possible that this slowed my healing time, so use your judgment based on what you know and be sure and let us know your results and your conclusions.  Wine is also cautioned against for the same reasons; however, I think alcohol in moderation should be fine IF the carb count is low.  Beer would most likely be out for this reason as the average bottle of beer contains about 10-20 carbs.  You could sneak one in on occassion, but I don't think it would be a big sacrifice for most of you to give up beer for a couple of weeks.  ;)  I don't honestly recall the carb counts for distilled liquors.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2008, 08:09:49 AM »
Thanks HB! My Yeast connection cookbook has not come yet so I am still sort of blindly hoping I am doing this all right. Yesterday we were out going errands and my dh Went ahead and atea hamburger fro McDonalds and 2 doughnuts from Krispy Kreme's! :o Will this set him back like a day....back to the beginning...?? Can you cure candida without doing the diet 100%? Besides yesterday, He has been staying on the good foods about 95% I think. Can he make progress and kill the candida like that? I hope I am not asking toooo many questions! There is sooo much info it can be hardto find the answers!!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2008, 09:16:55 AM »
Thanks HB! My Yeast connection cookbook has not come yet so I am still sort of blindly hoping I am doing this all right. Yesterday we were out going errands and my dh Went ahead and atea hamburger fro McDonalds and 2 doughnuts from Krispy Kreme's! :o Will this set him back like a day....back to the beginning...?? Can you cure candida without doing the diet 100%? Besides yesterday, He has been staying on the good foods about 95% I think. Can he make progress and kill the candida like that? I hope I am not asking toooo many questions! There is sooo much info it can be hardto find the answers!!!
Okay, yeast multiply very rapidly and if you have candida, consider you have millions of them all multiplying at an exponential rate.  Now...you do things to kill "some" of them - changing diet, eliminating sugar, taking supplements etc.  If you could kill them all in a day, most ppl probably wouldn't be dealing with so many issues related to yeast and Diflucan would probably be over-the-counter by now.  ;D 

Then you still have some of them left and you give them some Krispy Kremes.  Yippeee, sugar buffet.  ;D  Then they eat and remultiply.

Kinda taking two steps forward and one step back if you ask me.  This is to say it's not impossible to beat candida and eat a Krispy Kreme donut; however, it's going to substantially slow the process and depending on the amount of donuts, it may impede it completely.  Keep him as close to regimin as he will allow.  Up his probiotics if you can.  Give him more antifungal foods and supplements as he'll tolerate.  Try to beat it down with everything you've got.  Then if he eats a donut, give him a double does of garlic .   :D  but don't give up.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2008, 11:30:54 AM »
Is unsweetened Chocolate ok to eat while on a candida cleanse? Like the bakers choc?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2008, 12:38:14 PM »
Is unsweetened Chocolate ok to eat while on a candida cleanse? Like the bakers choc?
Absolutely but good luck with that.   :-X
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2008, 01:09:05 PM »
I am thinking of mixing some xylitol in with the choc and then use the sweetened choc to cover almond butter(made into balls). Sort of like Peanut butter balls.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2008, 01:26:17 PM »
I am thinking of mixing some xylitol in with the choc and then use the sweetened choc to cover almond butter(made into balls). Sort of like Peanut butter balls.
Let us know how that turns out.  I tried stevia and lets just say, the results were not worth posting about. :P
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2008, 01:36:52 PM »
Let us know how that turns out.  I tried stevia and lets just say, the results were not worth posting about. :P
I really am hoping for at least edible results! My poor DH is really having a hard time with this candida diet! Meals are going ok, but I am realizing he like to snack alot! For Breakfast I am doing fried eggs(3) with some sort of meat(leftover steak, salmon patties or lamb sausage. The lamb and salmon were not a hit!) Lunch is a salad with meat and lots of veggies, homemade salad dressing ands a hard boiled egg to go with it. Also some toasted pumpkin seeds. Dinner is Beef or chicken or fish with lots of mixed steamed veggies. I made a "dessert" that was pumpkin pie filling made with goats milk and no sugar. That was decently good. I have also made a veggie dip with Avacado, goat yogurt and seasoning. He actually likes that, but can only eat it sooo much! I guess I am rambling.... ::) I jsut feel bad for him and me, because he is really wanting more things to eat!!!

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2008, 02:07:21 PM »
Hang in there! Sometimes life just isn't easy   :) Here's some ideas:

~~I've found that quinoa, a bit of cinnamon, coconut oil, and some stevia (I use the white kind found in packets) tastes good.

~~ Have you ever tried to wrap romaine lettuce around raw cashew butter? Some might think I'm nuts ( ;D) but I like that for a snack.

If you mix half sour cream (homemade, if you can) with yogurt, put a bit of onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, dill, and some salt in it, that makes a great dip for veggies.

Another favorite of mine is butter stuffed celery

Casserole: Cook up some pieces of chicken. While that is cooking, cook up some kind of grain...quinoa or millet or brown rice. Use the broth from the chicken to make a somewhat watery gravy. Slice in some olives, a bit of jalapeno pepper, cumin, salt, and oregano. Stir fry some colorful veggies. Mix 1/3 of the gravy with the grain and add a few eggs, one egg per 2c. mixture. Put in a greased oven dish/pan. (9x13 for 4-6c. mixture) Mix chopped chicken, veggies, and remaining sauce and pour over top. Cook for around thirty minutes or until mixture is bubbly. Arrowroot can be used as a thickener, but if you're not used to that, I'd feel free to, at least at first, use half whole grain flour and half arrowroot. Just a thought.

~~ Sweet potato and raw walnuts

~~A bit of dill in yogurt, stirred, with cucumber slices to dip with

~~ Might sound funny again, but did you know that you can used raw, scooped out onion as a "bowel" for baking grain-based casseroles in? You can fry up some meat, add some leftover cooked whole grain and veggies to it (with spices), spoon into the onions and bake for a while. These are really filling.

~~ use a greased pie pan and bake a filling for a quiche in that.

There's some ideas! Hopefully it is OK to post them here.

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2008, 03:05:12 PM »
Thanks for the ideas!! As I understand sweet potatoes and grains are all no no's during the first part of a candida diet. But I will definitely try those ideas once he can have them!!! I have "created" a decent salad dressing recipie for anyone interested.....
2T Sesame Oil
1/4 C Apple Cider Vinegar or lemon Juice(best w/ 1/2 and 1/2)
1 1/2 t soy sauce(tamari)
2T Olive Oil
1t dried oregano
2-3 crushed garlic cloves.
Shake and serve!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2008, 11:17:34 AM »

I am sorry it took me a while to get back with you.  The reason mushrooms are forbidden is because they can be tainted with mold spores.  Later in the same booklet it says that some people react badly to mushrooms.  I think it has to be a personal decision.  I really LIKE mushrooms and would probably eliminate them at first.  But, if reintroducing them had no adverse effects.  I would eat up and be happy.
Probably washing them in a diluted vinegar wash would kill any mold or yeast...........
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 03:40:34 PM by amazonmama2five »
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2008, 11:41:09 AM »

I am sorry it took me a while to get back with you.  The reason mushrooms are forbidden is because they can be tainted with mold spores.  Later in the same booklet it says that some people react badly to mushrooms.  I think it has to be a personal decision.  I really LIKE mushrooms and would probably eliminate them at first.  But, if reintroducing them had no adverse effects.  I would eat up and be happy.
Probably washing them is a diluted vinegar wash would kill any mold or yeast...........
Hope this helps.
Thanks! I like the idea of washing them in diluted vinegar.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2008, 12:51:44 PM »

Probably washing them is a diluted vinegar wash would kill any mold or yeast...........
Hope this helps.
This is the same reason peanuts are not recommended.  Interesting.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2008, 03:36:09 PM »
Why is squash (like pumpkin) OK and yet sweet potatoes/yams are a no-no, I wonder?

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2008, 02:34:11 AM »
everyone seems to miss the potatoes, etc.  i think it may be a consistency thing.  after i get going i don't miss that stuff.  my kids are too back and forth on it.

Have you tried turnips?  I'm beginning to like them. :)  At first I diced a turnip a zucchini and half of a potato.  I swirled them in coarse sea salt and coconut oil with a dollop of butter.  Then I roasted them at 450* until they were tender.  This is our favorite potato sub and we don't add the potato now...

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2008, 03:09:55 AM »
everyone seems to miss the potatoes, etc.  i think it may be a consistency thing.  after i get going i don't miss that stuff.  my kids are too back and forth on it.

Have you tried turnips?  I'm beginning to like them. :)  At first I diced a turnip a zucchini and half of a potato.  I swirled them in coarse sea salt and coconut oil with a dollop of butter.  Then I roasted them at 450* until they were tender.  This is our favorite potato sub and we don't add the potato now...

Jammie

thanks for this idea!  i will see if i can get them around here, haven't ever even seen one!   ;D  more ideas welcome.  i got in a rut!   :P 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2008, 10:57:23 AM »
Why is squash (like pumpkin) OK and yet sweet potatoes/yams are a no-no, I wonder?

Starch=carbs=yeast food.  That would be my guess.
  My favorite herb book!!