Author Topic: Foods to Eat While Fighting Candida  (Read 161405 times)

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
Re: Foods to Eat While Fighting Candida
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2008, 11:42:57 AM »
I don't know if it is low carb or not  ??? didn't think about that, goodness and this is our fifth day!  Wonder what damage I have done.  I tried to search out a website that can give you the counts but haven't found one yet!  I will keep looking.  Sorry!  I did get the recipe from allrecipes.com.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no, she's awake."  Above Rubies e-newsletter

www.homesteadblogger.com/prestonacreage

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2008, 01:04:46 PM »
I don't know if it is low carb or not  ??? didn't think about that, goodness and this is our fifth day!  Wonder what damage I have done.  I tried to search out a website that can give you the counts but haven't found one yet!  I will keep looking.  Sorry!  I did get the recipe from allrecipes.com.

one i have been using is www.sparkpeople.com  you can input your own recipes and it will give you all the nutrition info, it is geared toward weightloss, but will track everything you eat for the day, etc.  the membership is free. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2008, 07:13:23 AM »
I went to sparkspeople.com and checked out the recipe section and found the taco soup that I use with taco seasoning and ranch dressing seasoning and the carbs range from 29 to 59 grams so unfortunately it is very high in carbs.  Before we did this cleanse I did so much research so that we would be eating the right foods and it really doesn't matter how much I try to be informed I have messed up big time.  But I'm not worried about it because we aren't eating anything with sugar, I am only occasionally allowing my family an apple etc.  Plus we aren't eating whole grains of any kind other than brown and wild rice.  I've read that eating an orange is ok but then somewhere else like in this candida booklet it says not to.  Very very confusing!!  I feel a little frustrated  :-\ but I guess the occasional orange or overdose of carbs is not as bad as having sucanant or raw honey.  At least that is what I am hoping!!  :D  I would love it if someone else who has successfully done this candida cleanse would post some of the things they ate, that would be helpful!  Thanks!  ;D
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no, she's awake."  Above Rubies e-newsletter

www.homesteadblogger.com/prestonacreage

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2008, 07:58:38 AM »
hi all, i am looking to find a successful recipe for a low carb bread or something that can be used as toast with eggs.  i would like to have the 3 grains in it amaranth, quinoa, and buckwheat or some combo like that.  anyone have a tried and true recipe that has been used on a anti-candida diet?  thanks!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2008, 03:27:42 PM »

I loved the link on Kombucha Naturalgirl, I read it out loud to my 13 yr old dd who doesn't like Kombucha and is suffering from terrible die off.  Maybe just maybe I can get her to drink a big glass of it today.  Thank you for the link! 

You're welcome! However, at least part of the credit goes to Gabe as all I did was followed a link he provided in the "How to" thread  ;D

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2008, 04:26:16 PM »
Glutino makes flax crackers that are just whole flax seeds deyhdrated into flat crackers.  It was a big help for my DS, who has a love affair with crackers.  They're fairly low carb, and his pooping habits have never been better! ;D

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2008, 06:11:10 AM »
i am really enjoying www.sparkpeople.com.  you can add foods not in their database, you can track how much water you drink, i have had a little trouble with things like ounces, grams, etc.  but it is really helping me to track how many carbs i am eating. 

on a side note, my hubby found where it is ok to eat cooked cheese, but other things say no cheese at all.  is it ok to add that in after a couple weeks?  in very small amounts?  or never as long as you are cleansing for yeast?  anyone eating cheese?  which kinds are NOT stinky, thus ok to eat?

are we supposed to be counting "net" carbs, (after subtracting the fiber) or just total carbs?--i'm guessing it's net, since HB removed the fiber on page 1 of what to eat.  i am really surprised at how fast carbs add up.  i am at 37 for the day after putting in what i plan to eat.  am taking herbs and TTU AB, maybe some garlic.  hope this works!

i've ordered my stevia, now i just need to figure out a low carb bread.  yippee! to finally being brave enough to do this and getting it figured out!   ;D  so good to have the support of friends too.  thanks!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 06:56:05 AM by 4myhoonie »

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2008, 08:27:18 AM »
not sure if i posted this the other day, but i have had trouble finding it each time, so thought i would share it so we could all find it easily.  it is for adding a recipe of your own, and it will show you nutrition facts. 

http://www.sparkrecipes.com/home.asp

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2008, 09:56:03 AM »
Grain Alternatives
ß Amaranth
ß Buckwheat
ß Quinoa

Breads, Biscuits and Muffins – All breads, biscuits and muffins should be
made with baking powder or baking soda as a leavening agent.

ok, so after reading about these three grains, i am wondering if their carb amounts need to be counted, or do they just not feed the yeast so it doesn't matter?   ???

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2008, 11:37:12 AM »
Can I drink kefir while fighting candida?  Does the probiotics outweigh the yeast that is in it?

I'm interesting in knowing about the previously mentioned grains as well. :)
Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2008, 11:39:55 AM »
Can I drink kefir while fighting candida?  Does the probiotics outweigh the yeast that is in it?

Jammie

yes, kefir is highly recommended to fight yeast.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2008, 05:22:09 PM »

Jammie
Kefir is good.  You might want to read this thread to help with clarification.

Candida Albicans vs Other Yeasts: Are All Yeasts Created Equal
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2008, 07:11:25 PM »

Jammie

The kefir bacteria eat the sugars in the milk, so it doesn't feed the yeast at all.  It just populates your stomach with the good bacteria.  Wonderful stuff!

Those grains are actually seeds, and don't feed the yeast.  Carb counts don't matter as long as you strictly follow the diet, and only eat approved foods. Millet is also allowed!

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2008, 01:31:06 AM »
Are all yeasts created equal....

I should have known there was a thread like that.  ;D
Thanks, HB

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2008, 06:44:27 AM »
on a side note, my hubby found where it is ok to eat cooked cheese, but other things say no cheese at all.  is it ok to add that in after a couple weeks?  in very small amounts?  or never as long as you are cleansing for yeast?  anyone eating cheese?  which kinds are NOT stinky, thus ok to eat?

I am planning on eating cheese when the YA gets here...ordered it today.  Stinky cheese would include those that have molds added to them, like brie, blue, etc.  Cheddar, colby jack, mozarella, parmesan and other aged cheeses like that have cheese cultures added, but no molds.  In general, fresh cheeses like cream cheese, cottage cheese, and chevre also don't have molds added.  However, there is a goat cheese that is fresh and has molds added.  It has a mold rind on it similar to brie, (sorry can't remember it's name).  Anyway, I hope that helps.   (note*I have dairy animals and took two cheese making classes - which is why I happen to know trivial information about molds and cheese...lol)

We also found in our initial no sugar/low carb trial some popcorn cakes tha have lower carbs than most snacks...however, I'm sure the process in which they are made and the additives would make them unhealthy.   

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2008, 09:33:20 AM »
thanks, Jammie!  that clears things up considerably! 

Offline jewelrylight

• Learning
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2008, 12:32:02 PM »
Yeast Assasin is made by the company Beeyouthiful:)

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2008, 04:51:16 AM »
I made a batch of the Nourishing Traditions mayo to go on a salad last night for supper.  Do you all think this is an ok substitute for salad dressing?  It does have some lemon juice, but mostly it's egg and olive oil.  It tastes very similar to Hellman's mayo.  In fact when I made it I said, "You aren't going to believe what this tastes like!?!"  And my four year old, very matter of factly says, "Mayonnaise"

Anyway, it was better than dry salad but not as good as ranch. :D

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2008, 05:15:54 AM »
i am using ranch and it only has 1 carb per serving.  unless there is some other reason it shouldn't be used when fighting yeast? 

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2008, 05:27:10 AM »
i am using ranch and it only has 1 carb per serving.  unless there is some other reason it shouldn't be used when fighting yeast? 
Are you making homemade? Should  be fine  ;)
Storebought-  :-\ - go for one that is msg and citric acid free.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2008, 05:44:20 AM »
Are you making homemade? Should  be fine  ;)
Storebought-  :-\ - go for one that is msg and citric acid free.

does msg and citric acid aggrivate or feed the candida?  really i am not too concerned about it aside from that.  i have tried several homemade varieties and we weren't really thrilled with any of them.  i figured since we have given up all storebought premade items it wouldn't make or break us to keep 1.   :-\  maybe i am wrong........   :P  thanks for your input!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2008, 03:44:16 PM »
sorry, I missed this at first. Yes, I do think the MSG and citric acid aggravate the candida. 
You just have to see how it goes for y'all as to whether it is important to cut every bit.  MSG is easier to avoid than citric acid.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2008, 10:23:16 AM »

I am planning on eating cheese when the YA gets here...ordered it today.  Stinky cheese would include those that have molds added to them, like brie, blue, etc.  Cheddar, colby jack, mozarella, parmesan and other aged cheeses like that have cheese cultures added, but no molds.  In general, fresh cheeses like cream cheese, cottage cheese, and chevre also don't have molds added.  However, there is a goat cheese that is fresh and has molds added.  It has a mold rind on it similar to brie, (sorry can't remember it's name).  Anyway, I hope that helps.   (note*I have dairy animals and took two cheese making classes - which is why I happen to know trivial information about molds and cheese...lol)

We also found in our initial no sugar/low carb trial some popcorn cakes tha have lower carbs than most snacks...however, I'm sure the process in which they are made and the additives would make them unhealthy.   

Jammie

hey Jammie, any idea about Risotto?   ??? 

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2008, 02:55:06 AM »
Oops...posted this in the wrong place.  Risotto is rice (maybe you're thinking of ricotta?).  I wouldn't eat risotto during a yeast cleanse just because rice in general has a pretty high carb count.  1/2 a cup of risotto can have around 25 grams of carbs.
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2008, 04:04:55 AM »
I agree risotto is rice so I wouldn't do it yet.  Interestingly, the Yeast Connection cookbook uses lot of alternative grains.  I am getting the idea that he thinks the gluten feeds the yeast, not necessarily the carbs.  1/3 c. quinoa has 30 carbs, but he uses it in a lot of recipes. 

Here's a nice treat for a snack or breakfast
It is slightly sweet and does have that nasty art. sweetener aftertaste, but  a nice change just the same.  I'm out of stevia, that might be a better choice for the sweetener.  I also left out the cheddar cheese...just thought it was a weird addition.  I ate it warm, but I think it might be better cold.
2 net carbs each...makes 8 servings
Cheese "danish" (and I use the term danish really loosely...lol)
Ingredients:

* 4 oz cream cheese
    * 4 whole eggs
    * 1/3 cup heavy cream
    * 1/3 cup Parmesean cheese
    * 1/4 cup Splenda
    * 1 teaspoon cinnamon (more if you like)
    * 1 egg yolk
    * 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
    * 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
    * 4 oz cream cheese
    * 1/4 cup Splenda

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Beat together the first six ingredients until smooth. Spray 8" x 11" pan with PAM. Spread grated cheddar cheese evenly over the bottom of pan and gently pour batter over it.

Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes; then lower heat to 300°F

Mix the remaining ingredients and beat until smooth.

Gently spread topping over the crust. Bake an additional 25 minutes at 300°F. Allow to cool to room temperature.

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2008, 06:36:06 AM »
Oops...posted this in the wrong place.  Risotto is rice (maybe you're thinking of ricotta?).  I wouldn't eat risotto during a yeast cleanse just because rice in general has a pretty high carb count.  1/2 a cup of risotto can have around 25 grams of carbs.

oops, yup you're right.   ::) ;)

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2008, 07:09:20 AM »

oops, yup you're right.   ::) ;)
Sorry 4myhoonie!  I didn't mean you posted this in the wrong place.  I had posted it before in the wrong place and just moved it today.   ::)
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2008, 03:18:52 AM »
just as a lunch or snack idea, i've been wrapping tuna salad or leftovers of it in a lettuce leaf, it's not hugely filling, but it's not something i wouldn't have thought of if WTM'er skelliot2 hadn't mentioned it!   ::)  i am normally a little low on creativity, my 1st child took it when she was born or something....... ;D

so what are ya'll yeast fighting people eating???  anything new and unusual or interesting???  post them here!    ;) 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 05:09:26 PM by 4myhoonie »

Offline wendyp

• Learning
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2008, 11:47:09 AM »
Thanks 4myhoonie for the link to this thread. :D

Well, I just started really looking through this site yesterday so have much to learn.  But we are trying to get started with what we have right now and will really get going later this week when our produce order comes in.

For lunch we had red potatoes that I sliced into wedges and then dipped them in melted butter and sprinkled garlic salt on and baked. I also just saw the post about potatoes with bacon grease, beans, etc.  That looks good.  We had sauerkraut, too, but just saw something that said to avoid that.  We made our last year from our garden produce with salt brine.  Is that okay to eat?  I am assuming some is made with vinegar and that is why you should avoid it.  Am I wrong on that?

I have searched for recipes for millet or quinoa oatmeal type recipes and haven't found any.  Does anyone know how to make hot cereal out of these grains?

Blessings

Wendy

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2008, 01:56:55 PM »
Thanks 4myhoonie for the link to this thread. :D

Well, I just started really looking through this site yesterday so have much to learn.  But we are trying to get started with what we have right now and will really get going later this week when our produce order comes in.

For lunch we had red potatoes that I sliced into wedges and then dipped them in melted butter and sprinkled garlic salt on and baked. I also just saw the post about potatoes with bacon grease, beans, etc.  That looks good.  We had sauerkraut, too, but just saw something that said to avoid that.  We made our last year from our garden produce with salt brine.  Is that okay to eat?  I am assuming some is made with vinegar and that is why you should avoid it.  Am I wrong on that?

I have searched for recipes for millet or quinoa oatmeal type recipes and haven't found any.  Does anyone know how to make hot cereal out of these grains?

Blessings

Wendy

hey Wendy, you are welcome!  i am not eating any potatoes yet, or just a couple bites, even red.  i think i would just double the water for the millet or quinoa, and cook for  a while, then put the lid on for a bit.  guess someone could give more specifics.  you might try this thread, "what do your kids eat for breakfast?"

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,12713.0.html

and there is a millet recipe for millet delight in reply #16 here:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,8335.msg108405.html#msg108405

good luck!