Author Topic: Foods to Eat While Fighting Candida  (Read 147890 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Foods to Eat While Fighting Candida
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2007, 08:46:15 AM »
I have never understood why one should not eat yeasted foods while fighting candida overgrowth. The yeast in bread is killed in the baking process and it is not the same yeast that colonizes the human body. Also, to my understanding, yeast feeds on sugars not on more yeast. Any insight on this?
I agree.  I think this is a common misconception; however, if you're eating something with yeast, such as bread, there is the fact that it most likely contains sugar which WILL feed candida.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2007, 08:46:54 AM »

Now another pondering about foods that are OK as I work away at yeast.
I have no problem eliminating sugars from my diet but have been craving chocolate terribly. So, I'm thinking about sweetening some cocoa with stevia. There are quite a few posts about stevia and it's beneficial effects and lack of negative effects.
What I would like to know, though, has anyone used stevia during yeast cleansing and still had success in getting rid of the yeast?

Regarding my earlier question about eating yeasted foods.
Not sure about this, but I think it pertains to the composition of the yeast.   It is similar enough in structure to aggravate the body, just like the candida variety and can cause the wide spread reaction that candida causes.   Much like your body reacts to something it's allergic to.
Yes, that seems like a plausible explanation. Thank you.
As far as I know, stevia does NOT feed yeast and should be fine to consume while fighting candida.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline hodgy

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2007, 09:53:56 AM »
I use stevia often, and also follow a candida diet.  The stevia itself doesn't seem to aggravate the yeast, but as we know, anything we use in the diet too often can become a problem because the food allergies associated with leaky gut from candida.  It took me awhile to realize how these food allergies were presenting themselves(I mistook them for candida when it was just causing the symptoms).   Thick, slimey mucous, pain in joints etc., discharge.  Yet, as far as the usual allergy symptoms, runny nose,itching eyes etc. I didn't have any.  I thought for a bit it was the stevia until I started to rotate what I used it in(ex; instead of sweetening kefir, I would use it in soy milk) symptoms didn't occur, so it wasn't the stevia.  You must also be careful, I have found, how the stevia is blended.  i have no problems with Kal pure stevia, but some brands combine it with maltodextrin(big no-no), or corn vegetable glycerine(also causes symptoms). HTH

Offline Mrs. Visionary

• Adept
    • PureBulk, Inc.
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2007, 01:10:57 PM »
Thanks HB and Hodgy. That is very helpful. I think I will experiment a little with the stevia.
Talking about all this made me wonder about non-caloric sugars such as xylitol which is OK'd by dentists since it doesn't promote tooth decay.
On the bread topic: yes, breads in general have lots of carbs. I like to eat the flourless, sprouted grain breads that have a lower glycemic index. However, even with those there is still yeast as an ingredient which it looks like should be avoided during yeast elimination.

Offline hodgy

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2007, 02:40:21 PM »
I too have yeast issues, and have found that the "clean eating" that body builder type athletes use is very helpful.  Except they seem to utilize splenda alot. (Bad for GI and immunity)  An example menu for myself for the course of one day would be eggs scrambled in walnut or avocado oil with veggies like spinach and onion tossed in, lunch would either be homemade veggie soup and plain yogurt(stevia to sweeten).  Then for dinner, grilled, baked or crock pot chicken, fish or some other fresh prepared protein,(you cannot find any packaged or prepared  meat w/o sugar, high fructose corn syrup, or dextrose) large spinach or dandelion greens salad with various veggies and herbs thrown in.  I use Annies vinegar-free green goddess dressing because it doesn't have any bad-for-yeast stuff in it.(very hard to find store bought dressing w/o vinegar or sugar in it.  Then for a snack, usually fresh nuts.  Yes, very hard and somewhat boring but you lose the taste for real sugar after awhile.  It is truly "eating to live" not "living to eat."   Oh yeah! I wouldn't be afraid of trying to do an enema.  I too was terrified and always skipped over that topic until I just couldn't ignore it any longer.  I would suggest maybe trying the coffee enema( a lot on info on the curezone sight).  I tried one and it was very relaxing and my gut and liver felt like it was working for a change.  It did seem to remove much of the yeast in my gut then was able to replenish with good flora. HTH
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 02:48:15 PM by hodgy »

Offline Marisa

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2007, 04:58:38 PM »
Thank you for sharing! That helped a lot. I'm gonna try to find the vinegar free dressing. That made my day! And I'll go look on curezone.

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2007, 04:29:21 PM »
My dd (13) is begging me to buy her some TTU and YA because she has dandruff and thinks she must have candida. Im thinking i have it to because of other symptoms. I have copied this thread of things to eat and things to avoid and im gonna buy her some TTU and YA but how long should she use it and follow the diet? What else can she do. Also, i see that i cant take YA because of nursing my 11 month old but will TTU be enough for me to see a change in the Candida? Will it help my dandruff and constipation?
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2007, 04:41:38 PM »
I just want to say also that we don't have a lot of extra money so im feeling so hopeless on how to cure this. Its not that bad but i know we probably should try to get rid of it and it is a pain anyway. Im feeling overwhelmed by all the threads and stuff they say to do and buy. I just want an easy cheap answer. Anyone?? ???

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2007, 02:16:59 AM »
My alltime favorite is garlic. The boys will eat it by the spoonful ( chopped) like I do...I chase it with raw ginger when I have it. My little girl will take it via coconut oil...I slice or chop the garlic and let it steep in warm oil, then strain it. If she chases it with a glass of juice she's fine.

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2007, 02:48:09 AM »
I just want to say also that we don't have a lot of extra money so im feeling so hopeless on how to cure this. Its not that bad but i know we probably should try to get rid of it and it is a pain anyway. Im feeling overwhelmed by all the threads and stuff they say to do and buy. I just want an easy cheap answer. Anyone?? ???

Cutting out sweets will help a lot (less ground for the yeast to take) And can even save $$.  ;D

Drink all the water you can.<a href="http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.smileycentral.com%252F%253Fpartner%253DZSzeb008%255FZNfox000%2526i%253D12%252F12%255F4%255F63%2526feat%253Dprof/page.html" target="_blank">[img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_4_63.gif[/img]

I would do the water cure.IMO water can help cure everything.

Cut down on yeast breads and such should help a bit I would think.

I am not very knowledgeable here yet I believe this would help a bit.

Em

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2007, 05:43:09 AM »
also adding onions, and if you have them: GSE, aloe juice, and CLO would help alot

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2007, 07:07:15 AM »
My dd (13) is begging me to buy her some TTU and YA because she has dandruff and thinks she must have candida. Im thinking i have it to because of other symptoms. I have copied this thread of things to eat and things to avoid and im gonna buy her some TTU and YA but how long should she use it and follow the diet? What else can she do. Also, i see that i cant take YA because of nursing my 11 month old but will TTU be enough for me to see a change in the Candida? Will it help my dandruff and constipation?

Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures
Fungal-Bacterial Infections
Treating Children for Candida/Yeast
Candida Cleanse Without Supplements
Treating Candida/Yeast While Pregnant
Natural Antifungals
Fighting Candida w/o Sugar [Carb] Restrictions
Candida Albicans vs Other Yeasts: Are All Yeasts Created Equal
Die-Off from Candida/Yeast: Causes, Effects, Risks & Reduction
Leaky Gut:  The Cause of it All?
I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut:  What Now?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2007, 08:26:50 PM »
Can someone tell me if any of these foods are a no-no on a candida diet? Thanks!

rice, ketchup, Worchechestir (sorry I butchered that word  ::)) sauce, carrot, cauliflower, corn, peas, potato, pumpkin, beef jerky, amaranth, quinoa, black olives, margarine (dairy allergy. Trying to find SOMETHING tasty. its for my sis) And I think I read that chili was bad but that seemed weird to me, so why would that be?
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2007, 03:14:05 AM »
Off the top of my head things like ketchup and Worst. have sugar in them..so....NO ! Instead of margarine, use coconut oil. Its a delicious alternative. Use Amaranth and Quinoa with veggies.. I will roast a bunch of cut-up veggies in a 450 oven with salt and oil, then during the week throw them in pasta or grains. There are several threads on here about yeast, fighting it, what to avoid, etc. Read labels, keep it simple, try Stevia as a sweetener. I've been drinking Yerba Mate Tea...not only tasty and energizing but it seems to me I am LESS HUNGRY !!

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2007, 06:02:31 AM »
Can you have sprouted bread or home made wheat bread? My poor dd is so tired of eggs. She needs so variety but it seems there is hardly anything she can have. How about cheerios? They say whole grain on them. I would think they would be bad but she is so hungry and needs some carbs to fill her up.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2007, 06:32:45 AM »
Corn, potatoes, regular white rice and carrots are high(er) glycemic carbs and would best be avoided. However there are large variations in say the type of rice -wild, brown rice and I think basmati brown are all lower than refined white-, fresh, red potatoes are lower than white, and surprisingly, there is a listing on kenkey (a fermented corn staple from Africa) that shows an extremely low glycemic index. I wonder if all fermented grains and dairy  have lower GI values than even their unfermented whole grain counterparts?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2007, 06:35:48 AM »
Can you have sprouted bread or home made wheat bread? My poor dd is so tired of eggs. She needs so variety but it seems there is hardly anything she can have. How about cheerios? They say whole grain on them. I would think they would be bad but she is so hungry and needs some carbs to fill her up.

I am not sure if I would do bread (because of the no yeast aspect), but I would add something like soaked oatmeal, brown rice (really good fried w/ eggs  ;))

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2007, 07:12:48 AM »
Thank you for the info.  :) I should mention she is also allergic to wheat and eggs, so would the amaranth and quinoa bother the wheat allergy? I don't know much about them, but I would love to learn to use them if they are not wheat? Once again, thanks! I am so glad for WTM right now, she is super stressed about all of this.

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2007, 10:44:23 AM »
Bump  ;D

Also, is oatmeal ok or not? And cooked or just the oats?

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2007, 01:02:42 PM »
Bump  ;D

IMO, I would not do oatmeal or any carbs for the first few weeks.  Then, add them back into your diet, slowly.  I am contemplating going full force on the anti-candida thing, also.  I have to get up the nerve to do it.  I can't go out and buy a bunch of special foods, either, which is a challenge.  I have to do it with pretty much what we have.  If I know that I only have to do it for a certain amount of time, I can do it.  So I will set a start and end date for the most crucial part of the process and then lessen the extremity of the cleanse. 

Ok, I more than answered your question.  I am just trying to talk to myself her, I guess. ;)

So, for those of you who have gone cold turkey, all or nothing, can you give me come creative ideas of how to make meat and veggies fun to eat? ???  I think I might already be bored with it and I haven't even started. ;D

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2007, 01:52:04 PM »
Bump  ;D

IMO, I would not do oatmeal or any carbs for the first few weeks.  Then, add them back into your diet, slowly.  I am contemplating going full force on the anti-candida thing, also.  I have to get up the nerve to do it.  I can't go out and buy a bunch of special foods, either, which is a challenge.  I have to do it with pretty much what we have.  If I know that I only have to do it for a certain amount of time, I can do it.  So I will set a start and end date for the most crucial part of the process and then lessen the extremity of the cleanse. 

Ok, I more than answered your question.  I am just trying to talk to myself her, I guess. ;)

So, for those of you who have gone cold turkey, all or nothing, can you give me come creative ideas of how to make meat and veggies fun to eat? ???  I think I might already be bored with it and I haven't even started. ;D

Thanks! I am actually doing all of this research for my sis and she just told me she is not doing any carbs for 30 days, so no on oatmeal! But after that, I think it will be a good choice for something to add back in.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2007, 07:12:33 PM »
Thank you for the info.  :) I should mention she is also allergic to wheat and eggs, so would the amaranth and quinoa bother the wheat allergy? I don't know much about them, but I would love to learn to use them if they are not wheat? Once again, thanks! I am so glad for WTM right now, she is super stressed about all of this.

Amaranth and quinoa are gluten free, and allowed on an anti-candida diet.  So are millet and buckwheat.  These are the only grains we used when we fought candida. 

Bump  ;D

We made a lot of soups, salads and stir fries.  You'd be amazed how much variety you can get when you really think about it.  We threw out everything that wasn't allowed, so we wouldn't be tempted, and then just went with it.  You can  make flours by grinding the allowed grains, dredge veggies (like zuchini slices) in the flour, and fry in coconut oil.  We did a lot of root vegetable dishes using red potatoes, carrots, taro root, olive oil, and seasonings like sea salt, rosemary, etc.  You can have veggies with a simple dip, omelets with veggies like peppers and onion or salsa, meat and fish, lots of raw foods work as well.  We made crackers from sprouted buckwheat, or flax seeds, or nori with veggie nut stuffers on top.  Recipes in raw foods books have lots of great ideas for crackers that are allowed on a candida diet.  My favorite book is Rejuvenate your Life by Serene Allison.  Some of these crackers are good with guacamole and/or salsa.  Celery with almond butter is also good. 

It's hard to change habits, but there are lots of foods you can eat.  It just takes more time to cook, and a lot of thinking.  Have fun!

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2007, 10:22:41 AM »
Well, are y'all tired of me yet? Never mind, I don't think I want to know! ;)
I am not sure if this is the correct thread or not (HB please move me if I am ruining this thread).........
 I have been trying to do the no sugar (much harder than I thought it would be) and low carb. I was trying just to do eggs, meat, and veggies. My problem is that I am nursing a 5 mo old and I don't seem to have as much milk anymore. He now nurses for a long time on each side (he used to be real fast), doesn't go as long between feedings, and is up more in the night. If I add back some of the healthier carbs (and I am assuming that the Kettle potato chips I ate with my lunch :o do NOT qualify here ;)) will I still be able to beat this yeast? Because I am nursing I am a bit more limited on supplements so I know diet is extra important. I am also confused as to which of the carbs are really o.k. I have read so much that I have confused myself! :-[  Are potatoes ok?  Other than the chip form? ;) If I add whole grains like quinoa once a day? Or what about our GF biscuits? Thanks all!
B

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2007, 11:21:33 AM »
Dh and I are doing the meat,veg,egg, and plain yogurt diet. He only eats spinach,romaine lettuce, and string beans. We are planning on 10 days at this restrictive level and then reintroduce non-yeast carbs slowly. I have thrush that doesn't want to clear up. Of course we are taking supplements, but I've been brushing my tongue with bs, rinsing, and the swishing with fresh lemon juice. This is helping clear it very well. I do still feel we need to do the diet and probiotics, just to give our bodies a little extra boost in fighting it. I'm just hoping we cam make it ALL 10 days (this is day 2).
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2007, 02:22:24 PM »
Well, I checked my urine and I'm spilling ketones and I'm acidic :o. Translated Ive got ketoacidosis. This is where your body goes into starvation mode and starts using it's own tissue to fuel itself. So, I am going back on non-yeast whole grain breads and rice. A pregnant lady will probably want to be monitored (or monitor herself ;)) while making dietary changes to get yeast in check. I'm still going to keep up the supplements, but the diet is too restrictive for my caloric and energy needs. Hope this helps someone.Amy
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2007, 03:58:59 PM »
If I add whole grains like quinoa once a day? Or what about our GF biscuits? Thanks all!
B

i just found this above about these grains being ok to use while fighting candida:  (from Skelliot2 quote)

"Amaranth and quinoa are gluten free, and allowed on an anti-candida diet.  So are millet and buckwheat.  These are the only grains we used when we fought candida." 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 04:23:08 PM by 4myhoonie »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2007, 07:08:57 PM »
Red potatoes are also allowed, but not russet.  For some reason, red potatoes are not as starchy.  We would slice these really thin, and bake with olive oil and sea salt until they were crispy.  Or, you can bake them, slice them open, pat on butter and rosemary, and rebake for about 15 minutes -- YUM!  Also, carrots are allowed.  You can serve these with stevia and cinnamon.  Stevia is a great sweetener that makes a lot of things taste better.  Makes it a little easier to give up sugar.  You can also put stevia and cinnamon into the millet.  It's somewhat like having oatmeal for breakfast. 

Gluten free biscuits would probably not work, since they're usually made from starchy flours, unless you can come up with a recipe from the four acceptable grains.  You can make pancakes with buckwheat, but they're a little strong tasting.  We did make them, though, since we were a little desperate.  :)

I got all of this information from the Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates.  It's really helped a lot of people with yeast problems.  The other thing to remember, though, is you have to repopulate with the good bacteria.  We had kefir everyday, and tried to get in lots of cultured veggies.  These are an aquired taste, so we weren't as consistent with the cultured veggies as we should have been, but every little bit helps! 

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2007, 08:22:55 PM »
Thanks for the info skelliott2.  :)

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2007, 06:01:44 AM »
Thanks for the info ladies! I have added back some carbs (red potatoes, etc...) and am delighted to report that baby is now sleeping better, going longer between feedings during the day, is happier, and is eating faster :D. Poor guy, didn't mean to make him hungry. :( I think that I am going to make a bunch of quinoa today, yum....... Will have to find the other things at the store.........  Thanks again for the advice!

Offline HerbGirl29

• Learning
    • Nebraska Heritage Turkeys
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2007, 12:29:46 PM »
Does anyone know of any herbs we should NOT have during a candida killing diet?
We are doing a very strict version for 13 days.  Just meat, eggs, kefir, & (most) green veggies.  I've done the diet before, this strict and not as strict, and did not purposely avoid any herbs but I'd like to know if I should worry about any; in particular, licorice and peppermint.  Thanks for any information. :D
"People often miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"  Thomas Edison