Author Topic: Home colonics, hydrotherapy  (Read 6070 times)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
Home colonics, hydrotherapy
« on: July 26, 2007, 03:52:05 AM »
The local hydrotherapist here charges $200 for the first two visits (two visit minimum) and $65 for each subsequent session. She uses a whole house filtration system, which means (to my thinking) that material from the pipes could still possibly enter into the water being used.

So, I'm thinking that by the time I pay for a week of therapy (three sessions, $265), I've pretty much paid for a simple, gravity fed system with tubing. Also, a little time with the power tools in the garage should help me fashion a toilet bench to suit the purpose. Additionally, I could use my own unit whenever I felt it necessary along with water I've distilled and my own herbal recipes.

Much searching has shown me that I can spend a LOT (over $2,000) for a fancy shmancy unit with bells and whistles (and it better leave me with a refreshing minty feeling for that price :o) or $100 to $200+ for something as simple as an oversized hot water bottle, tubing and a 5 gallon bucket  :-\.

I'm comfortable enough to handle the procedure (if I can keep the kids out of the room  ::)). I'd like some word of mouth recommendations from someone in the know that uses home colonics. I don't want to spend too little on something that doesn't work well or is too difficult to use. I don't need the luxury, deluxe model either.

What do you experienced home hydrotherapists recommend? Do I even need anything more than my enema bag and a few additional pieces of equipment? What else would I need? Do you use catheterization tubing for more access? Which supplier do you recommend for quality products?

Of course, this goes along with all of the warnings about not trying this yourself at home. This procedure should only be done by a licensed practitioner. Just like you should only be attended by a doctor to give birth  ;).
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
Re: Home colonics, hydrotherapy
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 09:31:34 AM »
I found this unit but am not familiar with the supplier. This is a good price at $207 compared to other kits. But I'm still wondering if I couldn't rig something up just as nicely with some supplies from the hardware store and local pharmacy.
http://www.everesthealth.com/colon-cleansing-board-kit.html
Thoughts?

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 03:19:01 PM »
Here is another option, and it flows directly into the toilet, so you don"t have to clea n up the mess.
http://www.homecolonics.com/

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »
I am so interested in this! 

I guess I should get past doing my first few enemas before I shoot for "THE BIG ONE"!

Let me know what you end up doing, SC!
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 04:35:56 PM »
Here is another option, and it flows directly into the toilet, so you don"t have to clea n up the mess.
http://www.homecolonics.com/
Mexmar, pretty much all of the ones I've seen have been along these same lines -- with a bench that allows everything to flow into the toilet bowl. I even saw one that allows you to sit upright (not for me).

Have you used this unit? I'm looking at models with fewer parts and a little more streamlined. How would you rate this one as far as ease of use?

I'm thinking that for personal use, it would be important to be able to operate it yourself and many models are made so that the technician can control the flow as opposed to the patient.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 02:25:14 AM »
So, the first one that you linked did flow into the toilet?  When I looked at it, I assumed that everything went into that bottom part, and then you had to clean it out.  :o I should have known better... :-X

No, I have never done a colonic.  But, if I had more space and more money, I'd buy a kit in a heartbeat!  I read a bunch about them last night after you posted this.  Then I had to consule my self with an enema.  LOL.

Please keep me informed with what you come up with.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 04:19:00 AM »
So, the first one that you linked did flow into the toilet?  When I looked at it, I assumed that everything went into that bottom part, and then you had to clean it out.  :o I should have known better... :-X

*Snicker*
Yes, the rounded part fits over the toilet with a raised lid (if you look closely at the picture, you can see the bowl underneath). That rounded part is a splash guard. Your bottom is towards the end over the bowl. A folding chair supports the end where your head goes.

SOME people place a screen or a colander over the toilet opening so that they can examine their results.  :-X I don't think that's anything I'd care to try. If you see anything that looks particularly odd, there are lots of sites online where you can view other people's 'results.'  :P :P :P

I may just end up going to the hydrotherapist. Haven't yet decided. I'm going by the hardware store and pharmacy today and look at tubing and fittings that could be attached to a bucket. I was looking at one of those 5 gallon solar showers for camping last night. It was cost effective, but I don't think it would suit.

I can't get past the idea that I may just be reinventing the wheel. Surely someone on here has already found something that worked well?

Offline joyofthelord

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 05:24:08 AM »
I have friends who do their own colonics, but the kit cost them around $1,000.  I could ask them the mechanics of it if you'd like. I don't know much about this, so I'd have to have you tell me what to ask.  Let me know.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 05:57:00 AM »
Basically, a colonic is what is called a high enema. The liquid can be gravity fed or operated by a machine. You can use a simple board to recline upon or purchase a pre-formed support that is made to fit over your toilet. You'll need to recline as the process involves a larger volume of water and takes 30 minutes or more.

Most processors use a more flexible applicator tube that is also narrower than an enema applicator as you want to place it a little further in the colon. Some applicators have both entry tubing (to insert the fluid) and exit tubing (to drain the fluid).

The liquids used vary. Some just use filtered water. Some use softening agents and/or teas. Some finish with a probiotic/enzyme blend to repopulate the gut.

Some systems come with heated, padded reclining boards, filtration systems, complicated plumbing, etc. These cost extra $.

I'm just looking for the basic tubing that I can connect to a bucket and control the flow. I don't need it to sing me a song or anything.  ::) :D

Offline joyofthelord

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 05:58:34 AM »
I know they have a board, tubing and a bucket.  That's about all I know about it. 

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 10:26:22 AM »
Well, I went to the hardware store and stood around in the plumbing section. A nice young man helped me find a "nylon barb to mip adapter" and matching faucet coupling nut and a washer that fit. Then it was over to the closet organization section to find one of those square plastic bins with clip on lid (10 gallons) so that I would have flat sides to work with.

I used a spade bit to cut a hole near the bottom of one of the short ends of the bin using my electric drill. I fit the mip adapter through the hole, pushed the rubber washer over it inside the bin and then screwed the coupling nut securely over that. I was able to fit the tubing from an enema bag (with the flow adjuster and tip on the other end) over the barb (it was 1/4" x 1/2"). After adjusting the nut, we tested it with water and mechanically, it works well -- no leaks and gentle flow. The tub and hardware ran maybe $8 with tax. I already had the tubing from the hot water bottle.

My bathroom is VERY small, but I took a folding chair in there to see how things might best be arranged and it appears that a folding chair placed in front of the toilet will work well -- although the door won't open or close with the chair in the way. The bin is just the right size to sit on the toilet tank. If a person were to straddle the seat and sit facing the tank, he/she could lean back on the chair for support as he/she reclined. A towel placed over the lap could act as a splash guard.

Even if it isn't a complete spa experience  ::), I figure my $8 contraption is much more budget friendly than the hundreds that could be spent going to a therapist.

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 01:06:35 PM »
Well, I went to the hardware store and stood around in the plumbing section. A nice young man helped me find a "nylon barb to mip adapter" and matching faucet coupling nut and a washer that fit.

So did you tell the nice young man what you were going to use it for?   ;):D :D :D
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.  -- Albert Einstein

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 01:27:44 PM »
 ;D ;D
He asked & I told him is was one of those things that seemed like a good idea but may not work out that way.  ;)

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 03:47:33 PM »
I had a good laugh just picturing his face when he knew why he was looking for those parts.   :D  Then I pictured you inviting him for a trial run -- and him bolting out of the store isle!!   :D :D :D  Poor guy  ;)
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.  -- Albert Einstein