Author Topic: Seasonal allergies and croup  (Read 3236 times)

Offline VickyO664

• Learning
  • No mad scientist here! :)
Seasonal allergies and croup
« on: September 23, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »
My 3YO son has seasonal allergies.  We live in Kentucky so this lasts about April -September, depending on weather. He was diagnosed at around 18 months.  He was breastfed for 2 years, always very healthy.  I actually took him to the pediatric allergist this year for testing.  He is allergic to many trees, grasses, weeds, dust, mold (slightly), cats, dogs, and tobacco smoke.

Figuring out what was going on last year was terrible.  He got a spring cold that seemed to linger on and on and eventually turned into this terrible cough that would keep him up all night.  He was fine during the summer; then in the fall, he got another cold (upper respiratory infection) and the cough returned.  He then got a cold in the winter that turned into croup, which was a scary experience.  He is currently fighting a cold and I am hoping and praying it doesn't turn into croup. :(

He is taking OTC Zyrtec once a day for the allergies, and we have a nebulizer to use if he starts exeriencing the coughing.  When he is croupy, we take him into the steamy bathroom or (if cool out) outside for a while.  The allergist wanted him to take Singulair also, but I said no.  I don't even want him to be on the other two meds, but I don't know what else to do for him and I have no knowledge of herbs and other therapies.  My sister mentioned mullein but I don't know how to use it and the staff at our health food store aren't very helpful.

I've tried taking him off dairy but no change.  He sleeps with an air purifier in his room.  He has a pretty good diet (i.e. I cook at home with whole food ingredients and not much processed food). He gets adequate rest and water.

Any help you can give me would be wonderful!  TYIA!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Seasonal allergies and croup
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 06:47:30 PM »
I don't have any other answers for you, but mullein isn't a hard thing to use.  You can tincture it, or you can do what I do - make tea.  The hardest part is straining.  Mullein has little prickly hairs in it and you don't want these floating in your tea.  They will bother the throat and cause you to cough more.  I run the mullein through a steel mesh strainer first and then run it through a coffee filter.  I also usually steep the mullein separate from the other herbs just to make straining easier.  A few floaties from the other herbs is no biggie IMO.  This takes a bit extra time, but it's worth the effort.  Mullein is awesome at thinning out and loosing congestion.  Here's a tasty recipe we use all the time (just made some last week) for colds.

For one gallon tea:

10 T Mullein (steeped for 20 minutes in a couple of cups of boiling water)
2 T Stevia
2 T Orange Peel
4 T Oat Straw
4 T Cinnamon Sticks (about 2-4 sticks)

Steep all herbs together or separate as desired for 20 minutes.  Strain and put into gallon container and fill to top with water.  Refrigerate.  Should keep as long as regular iced tea in the fridge.  Drink liberally as needed for congestion.

The other herbs have their own properties as well, but mullein is the key ingredient.  The others are more for the palate.  You could also use the above recipe to make a more palatable tincture or glycerite if you like.  Check this link for how to's.

http://bulkherbstore.blogspot.com/2010/03/herbal-preparations.html

My favorite herb book!!

Offline VickyO664

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 11:13:07 AM »
Thank you so much!  I am going to get the ingredients tomorrow or Monday (most stores in our small town seem to be closed on Sundays....).  Can't wait to use it. :D

Offline VickyO664

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 07:33:19 AM »
Is there any need to limit intake by my 3 year old son?  I'm not sure if there are limitations to mullein for children.  TY!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 03:30:00 AM »
Start small.  If mullein is going to work, you probably won't need much to see results, then adjust as needed.  Also, mullein allergies are rare but a possible risk.   Other than the potential risk for allergy, I don't believe there is any toxicity level for mullein.
  My favorite herb book!!