Author Topic: Ulcerative Colitis - UC  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Cimmaron

• Adept
Ulcerative Colitis - UC
« on: August 01, 2011, 10:38:31 AM »
Does anyone have information on ulcerative colitis?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Ulcerative Colitis - UC
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
TAKEN FROM THE DIVERTICULITIS THREAD AND REPOSTED HERE:
My MIL has ulcerative colitis.
For some reason stress does make it worse.  Causes are unknown but is being linked to a poor diet especially in the area of fiber.  I believe that my MIL contracted hers through her "yearly" flu shots.  I believe that the toxins in the vaccines are penetrating her intestinal walls.  Also, I feel the consumption of homogenized milk products plays an important role, so in a way would be a "leaky gut" thing.
If this father-in-law is eating pasteurized and homogenized yogurt, it could be making it worse.

Symptoms of diverticulitis:  painful cramps with attention to the left side of the body, constipation or diarrhea, or possible blood in stools.

Symptoms of ulcerative colitis:  the lining of the colon develops ulcers causing pain, diarrhea, and bloody stools.

My MIL was told to take aloe vera juice to heal the walls of the intestines.  Not bad advice coming from an allopathic doctor!  :D
Also, I would suggest eliminating all forms of pasteurized and homogenized dairy.
Taking a "green" supplement such as: chlorophyll, spirulina, alfalfa, wheat grass, etc. is highly recommended.
Enemas are good for "flare-ups".  Regular luke warm enemas are good, but if you have any lobelia, wheatgrass, or lemon juice, those are very healing.  I have been trying to tell my MIL about enemas, but she is like most people and does not want to go there!!   ;D

She has also reported that when she does not do some form of exercise during the week(walking, stretching, or pilates)  she is sure to have a "flare-up".  Exercising is very good for the colon. She also says that when she does have a flare up, to eat very softened foods, even baby foods.  HTH.

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 03:57:30 PM »
I concur...
1. Cut out processed foods (white flour white sugar, past/homo milk)
2. Increase naturally fermented foods (kefir, sauerkraut, etc) to increase good bacteria and digestive enzymes (Nourishing Traditions cookbook is invaluable with this)
3. Increase good fats (coconut oil, olive oil, good butter)
4. Cut out other oils - soy, canola, crisco, vegetable, etc)
5. There are many herbs that are helpful to sooth, coat and some clean out the intestines (slippery elm, marshmellow, comfrey, mullein, etc) The How To Herb Book is a breat starter book and so is Bulkherbstore.com
6. Make good bone broths (Nourishing Traditions cookbook is invaluable)
7. Find a local farm to obtain quality raw milk
8. Make changes soon....it is worth it, but you do need to try and work hard at it.
9. Also, there was a new story on National Public Radio a while back pertaining to this topic. A man purposly went to Tailand (I think) to get a parasite that aids the intestines in healing itself. You may be able to find that broadcast if you look it up on the site.
10. Also, there is another medical procedure that implants healthy poop (no kidding) into the colon and it recolonates the intestines and there is seriously overnight success stories. He would still benefit from a healthy diet afterword, but it may be something to look into (article can be found at thehealthyhomeeconomist.com site.

Hope these help.

Tennille

Offline titterbee

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 11:25:23 AM »
I agree with Tynnille.  My husband has been experiencing symptoms of colitis (not yet to the ulcerative stage yet) for years.  He has also been diagnosed since the 1st grade with Bi-polar, ADHD and was heavily medicated for it until he turned 20 and stopped taking the meds.  I don't doubt his unhealthy lifestyle of mainly processed white flour, sugar and dairy on top of the drugs has let to his colitis.  We started the Maker's Diet with suppliments, eliminating all grains, beans (except for lentils), un-cultured dairy and sugar and he began to see immediate results with his bowel movements.  The inflammation began to go down.  We also realized that he had been suffering from a grain sensitivity his whole life which surfaced as Bi-polar disorder.  Within 15 min of eating any kind of grains, he would go into a depressed funk and have to lie down.

We have been on the diet for nearly 2 months and the whole family is seeing results in their health (4 yo, 2 yo and me at 31).  I am tearing through my Nourishing Traditions book and making bone broths frequently to help with the healing.  We don't do any dairy that isn't fermented....usually kefir...and restrict our fruits mainly to berries.  It was a big change at first, but the results we were seeing helped us keep the course.  We both have lost about 2+ pant sizes each and are eating really delicious, wholesome foods.  I would recommend this diet to anyone suffering from GI troubles.  I found the book Patient Heal Thyself to be beneficial in helping me get started with the diet, but have also read up on GAPS (www.gapsdiet.com) as well as info from the Weston A Price Foundation (.org)

So.....sorry for the ramble....I guess I just wanted to give encouragement for a diet change ;)
Erika

Offline Cimmaron

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 09:46:19 AM »
Thank you so much for the information! I will pass it on to my friend who has UC.