Author Topic: Protein Snacks & Foods [Pregnancy, (Pre)Eclampsia, Atkins, Yeast/Candida]  (Read 24328 times)

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
Re: Protein Snacks & Foods [Pregnancy, (Pre)Eclampsia, Atkins, Yeast/Candida]
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2007, 02:13:48 PM »
Foods I've found to help with protein are -

cottage cheese

protein drinks by Bolthouse Farms (they have a chai one).  The ingredients didn't look too bad, unless you don't want any soy in your diet.  They also hae a cappuccino one that is scrumptious but does have some caffeine.

I just bought a few Naked brand protein smoothies that are fruit and whey protein.  Like mentioned above I'm sure these would be very easy to make.

I ditto the eggs and meat in the a.m.

Morning is the most important time for me to eat protein.  I need it all day but if I don't get it in the a.m. the whole day is shot and then my blood sugar goes haywaire all day.

I am wondering too about the good fats in my diet but I am leery of increasing any fat intake because I had my gallbladder out last summer and it still bothers me to eat any fatty foods.  (I get a hot seering feeling where my gallbladder used to be that seems like I can feel bile squirting somewhere it shouldn't  :o)  So, I don't know about adding the fats.

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2007, 02:45:36 PM »
Ditto eggs and meat, cheese, beans, nuts and seeds.

My standard breakfast (for me, preg or not) is a shake made from:
2 scoops chocolate fudge protein powder from Biochem
1 banana
handful of ice
1 cup water
whip it up in my Bosch blender, yummy!

The Biochem powder is whey protein, and the only "objectionable" ingredient might be the fructose, which is no biggie to me.  It's 20 grams of protein!  Good start to the day, not to mention, as made above, only 200 calories!

Jill

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 12:55:01 PM »
here's a kinda salty but really easy one! 

get one really large can of mixed nuts (WM $8)
add 1/2 really large bag of craisins (Sam's not sure the price)

mix and enjoy!

if you like a few other things we tried were:

sunflower seeds
pumpkin seeds
unsweet coconut (found these to be messy)

a few pretzels the tiny kind work good.

just thought this was kinda fun and easy to have made up ahead. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2008, 01:02:48 PM »
Any type of Jerky...especially if you make it yourself. 

I just rediscovered my affinity for beef jerky. :)  Unfortunately, I know little about what makes one good or bad...I found some w/o msg, but there was sodium nitrite in it...I have a dehydrator but I don't see adding homemade beef jerky to my list of things to do anytime soon.  Anyone know of a good brand/things to look for?

I checked google under "organic jerky" and there were lots of hits for some really great ones that are also preservative, nitrite, MSG, etc..free.  I thought one called "Blackwing" looked good!
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Lovin'myHoneyinVT

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2008, 03:03:59 AM »
Any type of Jerky...especially if you make it yourself. 

Anyone know of a good brand/things to look for?

Nope, but I did make my own without a recipe...wouldn't recommend it!  My husband is so sweet, he just eats whatever I put in front of him.  The rest of it was still dried and uneaten in my refrigerator.  I think you have to have the right marinade.  HTH to not wing it :-X ;D

YoopreMama

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2009, 04:51:21 PM »
Bump.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2009, 04:49:06 AM »
well, it's not beef jerkey, but it's a protein snack and really good!  i got this recipe out of a vegetarian cookbook i borrowed.  they are awesome and taste like BACON!!!

Perfect Pepitas

1 c. raw hulled pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
a large pinch (about 1/16th tsp.) cayenne pepper
1 T Bragg's liquid aminos or soy sauce
1/2 tsp. liquid smoke flavoring

Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.  Place the pumpkin seeds in the skillet and stir constantly with a wooden spoon.  Toast the seeds for about 8 to 10 minutes until puffed and making popping noises.  Lower the heat as needed to avoid burning; some of the seeds should turn golden brown.

Remove from heat and sprinkle with the cayenne. Pour in the Liquid Aminos or soy sauce and the liquid smoke (the liquid should sizzle when it hits the pan--don't inhale that first puff of peppery smoke!) Return the skillet to the burner, stirring continually.  Stir and scrape the bottom of the skillet until the seeds are dry, about 1 to 2 min.

Pour the seeds out onto a large plate and spread them out to cool.  Cool completely and store in an airtight jar at room temperature.

i like to take these along in case i need a snack when i'm out and about.  now i just need to find a cheap source for them.  i had a bag of them in my freezer that i bought one time, for a different recipe, then ended up not liking it that much.  anyway, these are awesome!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."