Author Topic: Swollen Lymph Nodes: Diagnosis and Cures  (Read 66457 times)

Offline GarlicMom

• Adept
Re: Swollen Lymph Nodes: Diagnosis and Cures
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2008, 03:53:47 AM »
I've been taking kelp for pregnancy and when I read about that it said that it reduces lumps and swelling related to lymph. Just a thought!
And be not weary in well doing for in due season ye shall reap if you faint not. Gal.6:9

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2008, 04:24:04 AM »
oh wow WR that is big.  I guess you don't really understand how big it is until you see the picture.    I'll be praying for your little guy.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2008, 06:16:11 AM »
My 5 yo just has a similar occurance...it was further back though...by day five I could not touch it without a yelp...I was applying tea tree oil but I think he had a bad reaction to it cuz his ears turned red...anyway I took him in to the ER and when he opened his mouth to have them stick a yongue deoressor in, he screamed cuz everything was so inflamed...anyway, they actually gave him a CAT scan to make sure there was no absess.

No absess, but he had strep REALLY bad...those stinkin' antibiotics made him a new boy the next day!

PS..they also gave him a gulp of steroids because of all the hives on his body---that could have either been from the strep, or the eucalyptus oil that I was simmering on the stove  :-\...they wanted me to keep him on the steroids for 6 days and I refused...since the hives were gone the next morning and the swelling was down.

Does your son have other symptoms (sorry if you mentioned this above) could it be his teething? He is the same age as my other little guy and he has been teething.

Hope something in here helps, poor little thing I hope it goes away soon!

This is his third day on the antibiotics and I don't see any improvement.

It's funny you should mention hives. He doesn't have hives but about four days ago he broke out with these little rough, red, patches (like eczema). He has a few of them on every part of his body -- two on his bum, three or so on each leg, etc. I thought he was having a reaction to the pasteurized/homogenized milk my mom gave him, but maybe it's connected to the infection.

The doctor mentioned the possibility of the swollen node being caused my ear infections, abscessed teeth/teething, etc. but she checked his ears, mouth, throat and declared that everything looked perfectly healthy. He didn't even have a fever. But since you mentioned strep, the coughing and fussiness that went on the night before the node swelled up, might point to that.  ???

Maybe we will see something happening with the antibiotics soon. I hope.

Oh, I was thinking about the yeast problem that often follows antibiotic use, and brainstorming on preventing it with him. I know he will need lots of probiotics but I wanted to keep the yeast in check during the time that the good guys are being killed off by the meds. So his little adventure with the garlic (that seems to have had no ill effects on his tummy) gave me an idea. What if I keep giving him garlic so that the yeast is being killed right along with everything else? I was thinking that it would rob the yeasties of the opportunity to fill all the empty real estate left by the antibiotics and then when the probiotics are reintroduced, they will have the upperhand.

What'a you ladies think? Well, actually, I think I'll ask this in the propper thread instead of getting off topic.

WR
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 06:26:41 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2008, 06:30:41 AM »
I've been taking kelp for pregnancy and when I read about that it said that it reduces lumps and swelling related to lymph. Just a thought!

Last night I gave him a bath with Epsom salt, sea salt, and kelp. I was thinking about the iodine in the kelp and wondering if it would help since it has a positive affect on the glands. So thanks for the info, I think I will continue to do this.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2008, 06:33:42 AM »
oh wow WR that is big.  I guess you don't really understand how big it is until you see the picture.    I'll be praying for your little guy.

Thank you so much for the prayers!
WR
Who Needs God?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2008, 06:24:43 AM »
My 6yo had one of these behind her ear.  It was very startling, but her doctor told me to do nothing for it at all.  So we did nothing.  It was gone in a couple of months or so.  I suppose if it had been more painful for her, we might have tried to be more aggressive, but she never complained, so we ignored it until it went away.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2008, 07:51:48 AM »
We are still having some serious problems with Josiah's infection. It looked like the antibiotic was kicking in because the lymph node shrunk a bit. But it was still hard and red. Now (day six on the meds) it has stopped shrinking and it is getting redder every day. It is so red now that it really scares me. I've never seen skin that was such a deep red - it's like a ripe cherry.

I actually ask the pharmacist at Wal-Mart if there was anything I could do at home that might help. He said that the only things [that he knew of] that might work would need a doctors prescription.

He looked at Josiah and asked what antibiotic he was on and told me that there were two ways that doctors usually handled this... One was with antibiotics, which he noted we are already doing, and the other was with a shot of cortisone or other steroids to bring the swelling down fast.

I said, "So an anti-inflammatory would help?" to which we replied yes but that it would take a prescription to get anything like that. Of course I wasn't asking so I could buy a drug, I was wondering in what direction to go with my home remedies.

He then looked at Josiah again and told me that he would not let this continue past this weekend before taking him back to the doctor.

So last night I gave Josiah some b12 because while reading up on bell's palsy, I found that in large doses, it is more effective than steroids.

Then I cooked tacos with turmeric and fed him some of the meat. I also chopped up some garlic and covered it with sour cream (which Josiah loves) and fed that to him and gave him VCO orally.

Then I made a fresh batch of GOOT while Dh gave him a bath with sea salt, kelp, and Epsom's salt.

I put the warm GOOT on his lump and on his feet. I had left the crushed garlic cloves in the GOOT and Josiah grabbed one and ate it while I rubbed the Goot on his feet for the second time and got him ready for bed.

Today, I think I will give him some echinacea tea (if that's not ok for babies please let me know).

Dh wants me to see if we can get in to see the doctor today or tomorrow.

WR
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 07:56:41 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2008, 08:05:31 AM »
Wow, WR. Sure wish I had a magical cure for the poor guy! Sounds like he has a wonderful mommy though and I'll keep praying.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2008, 08:41:37 AM »
We are still having some serious problems with Josiah's infection. It looked like the antibiotic was kicking in because the lymph node shrunk a bit. But it was still hard and red. Now (day six on the meds) it has stopped shrinking and it is getting redder every day. It is so red now that it really scares me. I've never seen skin that was such a deep red - it's like a ripe cherry.

I actually ask the pharmacist at Wal-Mart if there was anything I could do at home that might help. He said that the only things [that he knew of] that might work would need a doctors prescription.

He looked at Josiah and asked what antibiotic he was on and told me that there were two ways that doctors usually handled this... One was with antibiotics, which he noted we are already doing, and the other was with a shot of cortisone or other steroids to bring the swelling down fast.

I said, "So an anti-inflammatory would help?" to which we replied yes but that it would take a prescription to get anything like that. Of course I wasn't asking so I could buy a drug, I was wondering in what direction to go with my home remedies.

He then looked at Josiah again and told me that he would not let this continue past this weekend before taking him back to the doctor.

So last night I gave Josiah some b12 because while reading up on bell's palsy, I found that in large doses, it is more effective than steroids.

Then I cooked tacos with turmeric and fed him some of the meat. I also chopped up some garlic and covered it with sour cream (which Josiah loves) and fed that to him and gave him VCO orally.

Then I made a fresh batch of GOOT while Dh gave him a bath with sea salt, kelp, and Epsom's salt.

I put the warm GOOT on his lump and on his feet. I had left the crushed garlic cloves in the GOOT and Josiah grabbed one and ate it while I rubbed the Goot on his feet for the second time and got him ready for bed.

Today, I think I will give him some echinacea tea (if that's not ok for babies please let me know).

Dh wants me to see if we can get in to see the doctor today or tomorrow.

WR

Echinacea tea is fine for little ones.  In fact, while dealing with this flu, my midwife recommeded I give it to my baby (5 mo) in her milk or juice or whatever fluids I could get down her.  She said even if it was only a little it would help.

I am praying for you and little Josiah!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2008, 09:22:37 AM »
WR, what kind of antibiotic is Josiah on?  If he perhaps has strep there are certain kinds of antibiotics that don't knock it out. 

My 3yo dd had a swollen lymph node, also red and hot.  The medical student (wasn't a real doc) at the clinic didn't say she had strep and put her on azthromycin (sp?).  2 weeks later we all had strep and the real doc wondered if she didn't have it with her swollen lymph node.  He had to put us all on Keflex to take care of the strep.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2008, 10:01:25 AM »
He's on "Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium" as an oral suspension.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2008, 06:07:07 PM »
How is Josiah, Whiterock? 

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2008, 06:43:01 PM »
Thanks for asking. He's doing well. Here are some updates from the prayer thread that I forgot to post here...

Ok, there's so much to type but I am so completely drained. Here's the short version. Josiah's lymph node is gone. The infection (staph) had been killed. An abscess had formed. They cut a small hole and got all the fluids out (about 10cc), then packed it with 10 inches of string that we have to pull out and cut off an inch of every day...

The string was there to take up space so that it would heal from the inside out as we removed it and let the "pocket" close up slowly. They also put him on a new antibiotic since it would be an open wound for at least ten days.

Josiah's face/jaw seems to be healing. There's a large "bruised" area and it is still draining (some pretty nasty looking stuff), but he acts like he feels so much better than before, and it is not swollen, or hot to the touch.

We started the new antibiotic today so I will be looking for any side affects. I just can believe they want such a little baby to take, what seems to me to be, such large doses of this stuff. He's 21lbs and he is taking 1 1/2 teaspoons twice a day (the first antibiotic was only 1/2 teaspoon twice a day). I can hardly get him to swallow that much of it "in one sitting".

We called the doctor and he said that we could reduce the dose to 1 tsp twice a day. Everything's been going well. The last of the string came out today so he should be all healed up soon.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2008, 01:19:11 PM »
OK wonderous women!!!  My sister is here visiting and was telling me that her lymph nodes in her groin are swollen.  From what I have read through this thread it sounds like I need to use some GOOT which I just made yesterday on the nodes and on the bottom of the feet, don't have any echinecia tea.  I don't have all the herbs I want yet but I do have some Thieves essential oil for colds/flu etc.  Any other ideas, she goes home tomorrow.  Thanks!!!
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no, she's awake."  Above Rubies e-newsletter

www.homesteadblogger.com/prestonacreage

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2008, 04:56:21 PM »
OK wonderous women!!!  My sister is here visiting and was telling me that her lymph nodes in her groin are swollen.  From what I have read through this thread it sounds like I need to use some GOOT which I just made yesterday on the nodes and on the bottom of the feet, don't have any echinecia tea.  I don't have all the herbs I want yet but I do have some Thieves essential oil for colds/flu etc.  Any other ideas, she goes home tomorrow.  Thanks!!!

Besides the GOOT, you can have her swallow some fresh garlic.  Either chop it into manageable "pill sized" pieces or mince it and swallow with a spoon of honey.  The most important thing, though, is to keep drinking water to flush out her system.

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2008, 05:55:02 PM »

Besides the GOOT, you can have her swallow some fresh garlic.  Either chop it into manageable "pill sized" pieces or mince it and swallow with a spoon of honey.  The most important thing, though, is to keep drinking water to flush out her system.

I've used castor oil to help a lymph node drain.  HTH
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2008, 05:16:22 AM »

Do you just apply the castor oil to the outside of the skin or drink it?  I'm new to this stuff so I'm just learning.  :)
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no, she's awake."  Above Rubies e-newsletter

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2008, 06:00:54 AM »

Do you just apply the castor oil to the outside of the skin or drink it?  I'm new to this stuff so I'm just learning.  :)

PLEASE DO NOT DRINK IT!  Castor oil is very poisonous taken internally.  I just rubbed a small amount into the skin over the node.  You can also try castor oil packs.  http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/dietarytherapy/a/CastorOilPack.htm
HTH   Please tell me she didn't drink it.  I'm worried now.  :-[
Wife to J (10 yrs)

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2008, 06:29:43 AM »
No she didn't drink it, I don't even have any in the house I was just wanting to get all the details prior to giving her any treatments.  I didn't know it was poisonous, my lay midwife had me drink a bottle in some rootbeer when I was overdue  :-[   Good thing children are resilient right?  :-\

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2008, 07:21:56 AM »
No she didn't drink it, I don't even have any in the house I was just wanting to get all the details prior to giving her any treatments.  I didn't know it was poisonous, my lay midwife had me drink a bottle in some rootbeer when I was overdue  :-[   Good thing children are resilient right?  :-\

Ok, let me clarify.  I should have said castor oil can be poisonous if taken internally.  Castor oil is derived from castor beans, which is what they use to make the deadly poison ricin.  Maybe it depends on the brand or whatnot.  I'm sure your MW knows more about it than I do.  :-\  :)  HTH
Wife to J (10 yrs)

Offline keeperof7

• Learning
  • Soaking in summer!
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2010, 12:37:39 PM »
This week we found a lot of swollen lymph nodes on our 9 year old son, in his neck and also his groin area. the nodules are hard and about bean size or a little bigger.
 He has had a low grade fever at times and complains of his stomach hurting, however his appetite is good and no diarrhea or anything.

In November he had 1 swollen nodule in his groin area which was visible without feeling for. We treated it with a Lymph cleanser tincture from the book ABC Herbal. Over several months it did shrink but did not go away completely.

This time we decided to go to a doctor just to make sure something big wasn't going on. We are in a new area, we found a doctor recommended by a friend and made an appointment. He took 2 vials of blood, tested for mono which was negative.His blood counts where good, they tested for lymphoma cancers and those results were negative. The Dr said the test indicated that it was viral.

This doctor is great, seems very open to natural treatment and asked us where we wanted to take it from here. I told him I would like to try and treat this naturally and was thinking along the lines of  treating Yeast / fungus... He shows no outward signs of this, no rashes, no known allergies or anything.

We are now on a diet to treat for any candida/fungus. Basically The Makers Diet by Jordan Rubin. When we do add the grains back into his diet I plan on adding them 1 at a time to catch any allergies.
I am giving him ;
raw garlic
Vit. C,
ACV,
lemon water and added salt to his foods (water cure, just doesn't like the salt in his water)
olive leaf extract,
kombucha,
Lymphatic cleanser Tincture
he jumps on a mini trampoline 3-4 times a day for 5min.

Any thoughts on this? Am I missing anything I should consider? This is day 2 of this regiment and he is not complaining of his stomach hurting. He has plenty of energy and is eating well.

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2010, 01:41:54 PM »
Castor oil used externally is wonderful for moving lymph around.  You can do a castor oil pack on a troubled spot, like a hard nodule, or rub him down before a warm shower or bath to let it soak in everywhere.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2011, 12:01:25 PM »
Ok, need some advice.  I found what felt like a 2-3 inch growth on my spinal cord right below my skull. I  went to doctor, they did an Ultrasound, they could find Nothing at all on the ultrasound. Nothing. NO mass, no cyst, or anything. So doctor Refused to do anything more. I wanted MRI, needle biopsy or regular biopsy. They said No, its a normal part of your neck.

Ok now  a week or so later, I found a swollen lymph node,  towards the back of my  neck.  Not huge, dime sized. Just one.  Below theback of my neck. NOt near my ear or skull and more towards the back, close to my dress collar.

I havent had hardly any sickness, no fever, not much of any colds, or anything. Basicly no symptoms with it.

Should I be alarmed?  I have a very bad Anxiety problem, and recently went through HUGE amounts of stress with the other thing on my neck.  Could it swell from stress?  The doctor thinks I am hypocandriac.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2011, 06:10:24 AM »
I have a very bad Anxiety problem, and recently went through HUGE amounts of stress with the other thing on my neck.  Could it swell from stress?  The doctor thinks I am hypocandriac.
Anxiety is usually health related.  In other words, stress is more caused by illness than the other way around.  I would look into addressing the physical cause of the stress.

http://bulkherbstore.blogspot.com/2009/09/acid-reflux.html
http://bulkherbstore.blogspot.com/2009/06/lou-gehrigs-disease-and-help-for-other.html
http://bulkherbstore.blogspot.com/2010/01/hormone-imbalace-checklist.html
  My favorite herb book!!