Author Topic: Favorite Summer Beverage  (Read 13224 times)

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
Favorite Summer Beverage
« on: July 03, 2007, 08:54:38 AM »
Warm, humid day here in the midwest and was wondering what you all like best for you and your family to cool down and enjoy?

Kombucha is new favorite for us this year, plus various teas and of course a nice cold glass of water  ;)
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline InEverything

• Adept
Re: Favorite Summer Beverage
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 09:29:19 AM »
Fresh iced peppermint tea is good with sugar. However, Kombucha is now the most refreshing thing I can think of.  

I believe I found this info in the Little House on the Prairie cookbook.... they used to bring a honey-vinegar-water mixture out to the men on the hay crews because it quenched their thirst better than water and also was energizing.   I told my dh that a lot of the WTM husbands take Kombucha to work for this reason but he is not convinced yet.
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

YoopreMama

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 09:38:15 AM »
Warm, humid day here in the midwest and was wondering what you all like best for you and your family to cool down and enjoy?
Hello, "neighbor" (we're more the "upper" midwest.  ;))!

Lemonade USED to be a favorite, but the Master Cleanse has parted us.   :-X  We have a favorite non-beverage (of course, we agree that Kombucha is GREAT in the summer!) way to stay cool...frozen grapes!   Mmm...they last so much longer that way, and they are so refreshing.

We also like peppermint essential oil diluted and sprayed/wiped on our forehead and neck.   

And when we are very hot...Luigi's Lemon Ice.   :-[  ::)  ;) Hey!  There are no dyes in it!   :D

Offline LavenderMom

• Learning
    • From Fields and Gardens
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 09:45:21 AM »
Frozen watermelon chunks blended into an icey cold slushy drink, sweetened just a tad...delicious!
I make herbal sunshine infusions on a daily basis to enjoy as "iced tea" during the summer months.  Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice and sweeten with a touch of honey.  You can use any variety of herbs.  This is a great way to benefit from the medicinal properties of certain herbs, too.  Peppermint is always refreshing and is also a perfect way to dull a headache or lower a fever.  Red raspberry tea would be good for pregnant mamas.  Chamomile and lavender tea is nice during times of stress.  
Kombucha is a hit with me, too.

www.fromfieldsandgardens.com sells kombucha cultures!

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 09:51:26 AM »
Oh you healthy ladies, you!  It all sounds so good, and my true favorite is ice water, but I can toss back a diet Pepsi with great pleasure on a day like today!  I also love iced tea - the real kind - sun brewed, with NO sweetener, only a squeeze of lemon.  Delicious!
I have heard of an alcoholic drink calle mojitos and I would like to make it at home sans rum, of course.  Anyone every attempt this?  I think the essentials are fresh mint, sugar, lime juice, soda water, but what would one substitute for the rum?
Greetings from warm, humid, but skeeter-free (so far) Minnesota!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 09:54:03 AM »
but what would one substitute for the rum?
Vodka?   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 09:54:57 AM »
Mmm..Ice cold water, Ice cold lemonade and ice cold Red Raspberry Tea with lemon.   I have been using stevia to sweeten the lemonade and tea this summer and they have been great!
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 09:57:31 AM »
HB, you are a funny one!  Is it your avatar that depicts your true personality?  I wish my eyebrows were that finely waxed!  My niece does them, but not often enough!!!
Now, if we were talking about my FORMER life, vodka would be the bev of choice, mixed with lemonade, and slugged by me in a bikini.  Thank the Lord for what He hath done!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 09:59:22 AM »
I think Iced Cappuccino or Starbucks Frappuccino is amazingly refreshing.   ;D
It's not bad with a snort of Irish creme in too... ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 10:57:33 AM »
I think Iced Cappuccino or Starbucks Frappuccino is amazingly refreshing.   ;D
It's not bad with a snort of Irish creme in too... ::)

Our smalltown "Starburcks" (really called Badger's Den  8))  makes some heavenly frappuccinos.  My favorite is the Mocha English Toffee frappe without whipped cream - I don't really crave the cream so why should I eat the calories.  ;D  In fact, I go there so often that the one young lady that usually takes my order knows it by heart anymore.  I just tell her I want my normal and she gets it!!  :o :o 

That is my favorite summertime beverage . . . come to think of it, I get it in the wintertime, too.  :P

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 12:53:32 PM »
We drink a TON of water in the summer.  I make sun tea on a weekly basis.  1 Gallon glass jar with 3 bags black tea and 3 bags herbal(mint, sleepytime, chamomile/lemon) with 1/2 cup sugar.

Also, hubby and I love this one:

Coconut-Lime Cooler

1 can coconut milk
1 cup ice
4TBSP maple syrup
1/2 cup lime juice

Blend in a blender and enjoy!

Offline wyomama3

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 01:02:51 PM »
Plain ol' iced tea for me.  Western style, sans the sweetner.  The stronger the better!  The rest of the family prefers water with lemon.  We drink bucha too, but tea and water dominate. 

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 01:23:28 PM »
For a treat, my family likes homemade cherry limeade or agua fresa. 

For the cherry limeade, I start it the same way I make lemonade.  I wash a whole lemon, cut off the ends nearly to the pulp, and cut into quarters or eighths.  These pieces go into the blender with a little water to puree.  With limeade, I use a little less lemon and add a lime half.  Strain the blended mixture into a gallon glass jar.  Rinse the blender jar and fill 3/4 full of water.  Add 3/4 to 1 cup sugar, or to taste, and a handfull of our home-frozen cherries.  Puree this until liquified and add to the lemon mix.  Add enough water to the taste you prefer.

Agua fresa is a Mexican strawberry drink.  It is mashed or blended strawberries, sugar, and water.  Yummy!    :D  Although it is watery - we use about a pint of berries for 2 or 3 quarts of drink - it sure is refreshing.  When we lived in the western part of the country, we could buy agua fresa syrup at the carneceria.  Can use club soda to make a bubbly drink of it, as well.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 02:06:02 PM »
ohhh, so many refreshing ideas -

my kids are excited about the agua fresa and the coconut lime cooler

and the frozen grapes we discovered last summer - you gotta try em if you haven't
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline NotLuckyButBlessed

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 02:45:03 PM »
I have heard of an alcoholic drink calle mojitos and I would like to make it at home sans rum, of course.  Anyone every attempt this?  I think the essentials are fresh mint, sugar, lime juice, soda water, but what would one substitute for the rum?

My sister and I tried to make this from scratch last year (with light rum). We were unsuccessful in our attempt but I am going to try to make it again this week. Will let you know how it turns out as it does indeed seem like a very refreshing drink.

If you want to make a Mojito Mocktail, the recipe follows. When my dh turned 40, I had a party for him with the theme of Flamingo Lounge/80's. It was hilarious. My bro who is a police officer, dressed like Sonny Crockett from Miami Vice. Several people wore pink or green polo shirts with the collars turned up, leggings with long shirts and wide belts and I wore a handkerchief dress with admiral shoulder pads to rival Michael Jackson. I hired a young lady to make mocktails so rounded up lots of mocktail recipes. It was a kick!

Mojito Mocktail Recipe Instructions:
1 1/2 oz Club soda
3 fresh Mint sprigs
2 tsp Sugar
3 dashes bitters   
3 tbsp fresh Lemon juice 

Mix all ingredients in a cocktail shaker / stirrer and pour into an unusually shaped glass. Add Crushed Ice and decorations to create a great speciality drink from an easy to make recipe!

View my blog at www.ButIHadATiara.blogspot.com
(private, request an invite by messaging me:)

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

YoopreMama

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 03:37:06 PM »

Coconut-Lime Cooler
1 can coconut milk
1 cup ice
4TBSP maple syrup
1/2 cup lime juice

Now that's my kind of drink! :D
Frozen watermelon chunks blended into an icey cold slushy drink, sweetened just a tad...delicious!
Great!  Now I know what to do w/ (leftover) watermelon! 

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 05:09:20 PM »
Leftover watermelon?! Does that really happen?!
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 05:50:13 PM »
Leftover watermelon?! Does that really happen?!
WR
yes, sadly, i let some of mine turn to mush in the fridge and had to throw it out.   :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 03:39:08 PM »
I made mojitos today. It was 95 degrees outside and boy, was it refreshing!

I worked it the recipe a couple times and then came to the following for the best one:
~ Rub about 6-7 large leaves of mint between fingers then rub the inside of the (tall and narrow) glass with it and drop it into the bottom of the glass.
~ Squeeze about 3Tablespoons of lime juice over top
~ Add 1 tablespoon of sugar (or desired sweetener).
~ Mash mixture together (I used a chopstick) so as much mint flavor as possible is released from the plant.
~ Let sit for awhile (the longer you let it sit, the more minty it is). If you want rum, add 1.5 ounces.If you do not want rum, you can add 3 dashes of bitters instead (I didn't, I liked it with just club soda).
~ Stir
~ Fill glass with crushed ice and top off with club soda.

YUM! SO refreshing on a hot summer day:) Happy Fourth of July!

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 04:47:54 PM »
I made mojitos today. It was 95 degrees outside and boy, was it refreshing!

I worked it the recipe a couple times and then came to the following for the best one:
~ Rub about 6-7 large leaves of mint between fingers then rub the inside of the (tall and narrow) glass with it and drop it into the bottom of the glass.
~ Squeeze about 3Tablespoons of lime juice over top
~ Add 1 tablespoon of sugar (or desired sweetener).
~ Mash mixture together (I used a chopstick) so as much mint flavor as possible is released from the plant.
~ Let sit for awhile (the longer you let it sit, the more minty it is). If you want rum, add 1.5 ounces.If you do not want rum, you can add 3 dashes of bitters instead (I didn't, I liked it with just club soda).
~ Stir
~ Fill glass with crushed ice and top off with club soda.

YUM! SO refreshing on a hot summer day:) Happy Fourth of July!

mojitos can also be made with gin.  Good mojitos are very refreshing, but a bad one tastes terrible!   if I am out and ask for one, I always ask them to go light on the alcohol, I don't like to taste it!

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 06:40:43 PM »

Oh, I will have to try that. I don't think I have ever had gin in any form. But I do know I love rum in things   ;D

When my sister and I made mojitos last year they were not good at all. The lady didn't tell us to do anything to the mint, but to just stir it in. So it was pretty much sugary lime water with rum.  :-\

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 03:34:53 PM »
We drink a TON of water in the summer.  I make sun tea on a weekly basis.  1 Gallon glass jar with 3 bags black tea and 3 bags herbal(mint, sleepytime, chamomile/lemon) with 1/2 cup sugar.

Coconut-Lime Cooler

1 can coconut milk
1 cup ice
4TBSP maple syrup
1/2 cup lime juice

I had my mom pick up the coconut milk for this and she couldn't find it so she got cream of coconut  instead...I made this with that:

Key Lime Kokonut Kooler  ;D--eventhough they weren't actually "key" limes

juice of 1 lime
1/2 can (8oz) Cream of Coconut
few cups cold water
some ice cubes
Blend in blender..

No need for sweetner because of the Cream of Coconut

yummy, yummy..but not to healthy I am sure --the Cream of Coconut has sugar as 2nd ingredient and ingredients called sorbate 60 and polysorbate 60..anyone know what that is?
..I am a glutton for punishment because I know this isn't going to taste as yummy after you tell me what the sorbate is...why can't I just enjoy it ???  ;D

Sandra
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 10:53:47 AM »
    We have enjoyed several large containers of cold water and sliced lemon and lime this summer while painting the house and going camping.

Also, a few years ago my mom had us buy a whole bunch of melons--Watermelon, muskmelon, honeydew, and a few others-- and blend them up together after seeding and peeling them. Then we poured the mixture into small yogurt containers and put them into the deep freeze. Then, whenever we wanted something refreshing or a treat, we just pulled those out. They lasted a long time that way.   You might like to try that idea out if you have major melon spoilage problems. It's also a good idea if your kids like pops from the freezer. Those frozen grapes are a wonderful idea too!

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 05:48:18 PM »
The Good Earth Restaurants in the Twin Cities sell a whole lemonade that is just fresh juiced lemon and apples. They serve it in a tall exotic glass and it costs like $4 but I love to treat myself to it when we go there. It is incredibly good and couldn't be that hard to make at home if you have a juicer.

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 06:05:43 PM »
The Good Earth Restaurants in the Twin Cities sell a whole lemonade that is just fresh juiced lemon and apples. They serve it in a tall exotic glass and it costs like $4 but I love to treat myself to it when we go there. It is incredibly good and couldn't be that hard to make at home if you have a juicer.

It is awesome, we make it.  All you do is juice apples and a quarter or so of lemon with the rind, and it just tastes like lemonade!  Love it! 
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline BettaGurl3

• I used to be BettaGurl3
  • Master
  • I LOVE HORSES!
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2009, 01:01:22 PM »
Lemonade..mmmmmm....ice cold lemonade...and of course cold water is delicious as well.... ;D

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 04:02:11 PM »
I like making limeade the way a missionary friend made it in Bolivia.  Very easy, and no squeezing!  Also, uses fewer limes than if you were just using the juice. 
Wash a couple of limes, cut in 1/4s, and put in the blender with water.  Blend a few seconds till chunky, then pour through a strainer over ice in a pitcher.  Add more water to the blender, swirl around, and pour through the blended lime in the strainer a second time.  Add a little sugar to taste(doesn't take nearly as much sugar this way).  Has a very fresh taste.  However, leftovers don't taste quite as good, I'm assuming b/c it's made with the rind, which gives it a little bit of a bitter taste.
Easy, delicious, and very fresh!  You get so much flavor from using the whole lime.  I haven't done this with lemons, but I remember eating at an Israeli food restaurant and they served fresh lemonade blended with mint.  Done the same way as above, but with fresh mint added to it.  They didn't add sugar though.
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com