Author Topic: Newborn Needs for New [First Time] Mom  (Read 71493 times)

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
Re: Newborn Needs for New [First Time] Mom
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2007, 09:35:02 AM »
I couldn't live without my Boppy.  My brother got it for me after my c-section.  What a lifesaver!

I also love the carseat cover.  Much easier that getting baby all bundled up.  (I don't know about anyone else's kids, but mine always seemed to fill their diaper as soon as I had gotten done bundling them!)

With this one, I don't know what I'd do without my bouncy seat, swing, and my bassinet that vibrates.  She's very colicky, so we use them all a lot!

Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2007, 09:56:24 AM »
I was going to mention that for sickness, my standbys  are a thermometer, saline spray and a bulb syringe, and a humidifier.

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2007, 10:17:26 AM »

That's funny... My mom brought over lots of dark chocolate after my 2nd baby, cause she said chocolate makes happy babies.  :D
[/quote]
  when my son was born I had misunderstood my mom to say that her grandma would always eat a little dark choclate when she would sit and nurse her babies, so I did that too, very HAPPILY. my baby was so happy untill he got whooping cough at 6 mo. but otherwise he was a dream.  my mil had a fit when she found out, she says choclate makes unhappy, fretty, babies with tummy ache. :)
  a few of my musthaves is chamomlie tea that I drink often thru out the day.   
  a comfy nursing lounger you can wear even with company. 
  and of course my clock..... I do the baby wise schedule.(tho I dont condone the whole book) 
  Oh yes and lets not forget the nursing station, a comfy rocking chair with a stand, magazines, books, big water pitcher, mug of tea, choclate :), extra diapers, wipes and change of clothes.  its so fun if you dont have to run here and there after you sit down.   
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 10:23:01 AM by Helen »

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2007, 06:33:43 PM »
I was going to mention that for sickness, my standbys  are a thermometer, saline spray and a bulb syringe, and a humidifier.

YES! A bulb syringe is a good must have... My babies would always spit up, and it would come out their noses, too. It got me so upset at first, till I realized that's just the way they are. Having a good bulb syringe made it easy to suck out the extra white breast milk spit-up clumps that stuck in their noses. Anybody else experience this?

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2007, 06:36:27 PM »
Sometimes...mine always tended to hide breastmilk in their neck rolls which would turn to cheese later... :Peeewww  ;D

Offline mamatomany

• Adept
« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2008, 05:00:30 AM »
I'm making my official "walmart/baby" run this weekend and was wondering what kinds of things everyone thinks is essential to have for a newborn? 

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2008, 05:31:59 AM »
I'm making my official "walmart/baby" run this weekend and was wondering what kinds of things everyone thinks is essential to have for a newborn? 

I am a big fan of keeping it simple.  I make sure I have:
-a place for baby to sleep,
-a carseat,
-some newborn onesies, burp cloths, blankets, and sleepers washed up (and I don't bother with baby soaps either--my baby things get washed with our other clothes and I haven't had a problem),
-enough diapers and wet ones to get through about a month (since I won't feel like shopping for at least that long),
-some baby wash if you use it (or whatever you like to wash your baby with),
-a few bottles and a starter can of formula (just in case something unforeseen happens to interfere with breastfeeding)
-a diaper bag
-a few binkies
Those are my basics that i have found sufficient for the first few weeks.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2008, 07:20:20 AM »
You may have read this thread already, but in case you haven't, it may have some ideas:
Must Haves for a First Time Mom [First Baby]
merged with current thread.

I personally always make sure I have goldenseal for belly button and/or circ. and lanolin for sore n*pples. And plenty of disposables diapers for baby (I always open the pack of tiny ones when I get home and get all nostalgic  :D) and pads for myself.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 08:55:10 AM by healthybratt »

Offline steadygirl

• Adept
    • My church home page
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2008, 08:37:36 AM »
Receiving blankets instead of onesies for my personal preference because the baby is right next to me all the time and my body heat keeps baby warm and it is easier to change diapers.
My midwife recommended olive oil for baby's bottom to keep meconium from sticking making diaper changes easier.
If the baby is going to be in a crib or co-sleeper make sure you have sheets.  ;D

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2008, 10:30:16 AM »
What would you recommend for a (gift) first-time mom, in the "healthy baby" dept. who is open to more natural stuff, but doesn't know much about it.  How could I share some alternatives to Dimetapp/Robitussin/etc to help her with those little colds and bugs little ones often pick up?
A jar of GOOT? ::)  ;D

Any great recommendations for a healthy baby gift?  (p.s. book ideas?)

thanks!

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2008, 10:45:02 AM »
Definitely give reading materials along with whatever you choose to give her.  Like if you give her a jar of GOOT give her a printout on what GOOT does, how to use it, why using it is better than other not so natural things. KWIM?
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2008, 07:11:46 AM »
bump

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2008, 10:11:45 AM »
http://www.bulkherbstore.com/Natural-Baby-Care
A review quoted from their site on this book:
"This book is a perfect fit for a mother-to-be or young mother who
enjoys beauty and detail in life. Natural Baby Care provides much
more information than the cover describes. It is an introduction to
all things natural! For example, the reader will be introduced to:
Herbs, essential oils, homeopathy, pregnancy, childbirth, labor,
breastfeeding, baby care, organic food, avoiding harsh chemicals in
our environment, skin care, massage, homemade shower gifts, and so
much more!

Advanced herbalists will enjoy this book for the recipes
provided, but will find much of the writing introductory and basic.
The simplified information is a plus for someone just breeching the wall of Natural Living.

Natural Baby Care is on my gift list for new mothers with an emerging interest in natural health!"

and here's another one: http://www.bulkherbstore.com/Herbal-Remedies-For-Childrens-Health
and a review:
"This will be a book I reference often for common childhood ailments.
Well researched remedies are given for afflictions such as teething,
colic, diaper rash, diarrhea, fever, earaches, and much more!

Rosemary Gladstar does not just provide the herb mixtures to treat,
but also gives practical advice about things like probiotics and diet.
If the reader can make it past Chapter One, which outlines the
“truth” of plant spirits and her own philosophy on religion, the
rest of the book is very informative for beginning and intermediate
herbalists.

Overall this is a very well written, researched, and enjoyable book
to read. Enough information, but not too much!"
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2008, 11:13:04 AM »
Thanks, Gwen, those are the kind of books I'm looking for... Especially the "Herbal Remedies for Children's Health" I'll check them out!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2009, 05:01:49 PM »