Author Topic: Is there such thing as a Gall Bladder Cleanse?  (Read 10321 times)

Offline ecajean

• Learning
Is there such thing as a Gall Bladder Cleanse?
« on: April 14, 2006, 08:07:44 AM »
If so can I do it while nursing? I had boughts with it after #2 was born ( almost four years ago) and my midwife said that as long as I keep having more kids, I'll probably have to deal with it coming out. They never found stones, thought it was just sludge.  I felt odd twinges the other day and thought maybe it was my GB. SOOOOOO tell me about a GB cleanse...

Thanks
~Erica

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Is there such thing as a Gall Bladder Cleanse?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 08:51:29 AM »
Beka posted this in another thread.  I don't know anything about it, but the information you need is probably here at curezone.com.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 09:02:07 AM »
I think this might be similar to the info that was already mentioned, but I found it on another website:  www.deepdownwellness.com/store/gallbladder.html
Hope this helps.

having a baby" border="0

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 06:22:14 PM »
Here's a gallbladder story/recipe/instructions:

http://curezone.com/forums/m.asp?f=447&i=33369
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline ecajean

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 04:30:48 AM »
Hi girls, thanks for the info. I'm really considering doing this. I just need to get all the ingredients, curiously enough, my folks came for a visit and left two grapefruits! I'm looking for the Black Walnut Tincture online as my Herb store burnt down last month  :o! Oh and the Ornithine too.

Anyway, Dr. Hulda thinks I need to do a parasite removal thing too. Anyone do that and ahve sucess? or not do it and still have sucesss? Their message board is a bit difficult to navagate...

TTYall soon!
Erica

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 12:44:32 PM »
I checked out another book from the library and as I was reading, I noticed a write-up on gallbladder therapy.

From Herbs for Health and Healing by Kathi Keville

GALLBLADDER PROBLEMS

Think of the gallbladder as the liver's sidekick.  In comparison to the much larger liver (under which it appears to nestle for protection), the gallbladder has comparatively little to do.  Primarily, it stores bile manufactured by the liver.  When you eat a fatty meal, the gallbladder contracts and release bile into the first section of the small intenstine, which is called the duodenum.  In fact, two signals of gallbladder problems include stomach pains and a bloated feeling after eating high-fat foods.  Bitter herbs like gentian are the best way to stimulate bile-production and improve fat digestion.

Most North American physicians are not very concerned about bile deficiency, but European doctors do worry about this problem.  If a patient of a European doctor is dignosed as being bile-deficient, chances are, the physician will prescribe an herbal formula to correct the problem.  Several European drugs contain one of the most potent bile stimulants in the plant world--dandelion.  When the German over-the-counter drug Hepatichol--which is made mostly from dandelion--along with nettle and a few other herbs, was tested, the results were impressive.  A study conducted in Germany in 1952 showed that all the people with gallbladder problems who took Hepatichol improved within only a few days.

Several compounds in turmeric increase bile and also help other bile stimulants do a better job.  In the early 1970s, German researchers found that when turmeric was taken with milk thistle and celandine, it increased bile flow about six times more than when the herbs were used without it.

One of the most common--and most unpleasant--gallbladder problems is gallstones.  The little "stones" are usually formed from concentrated bile and cholesterol combined with minerals and pigments.  Gallstones do not create much trouble until they journey out the gallbladder through the narrow duct that leads into the small intestine.  If the stones are large, this can be very painful  Even worse, if the stones get lodged in the duct, they can block the flow of bile, upset the digestion of fats and cause inflammation, infection and even jaundice.

Because of these serious consequences, any gallstone treatment should be conducted only under the expert care of a health care professional.  Any herbs that increase the production and flow of bile will encourage gallstones to move along.  However, if the stones are moved out into the duct or are already blocking it, you could make things worse instead of better by taking herbs.  This particularly true of "the liver flush"--a popular home treatment for gallstones.  If someone recommends drinking this unappetizing combination of olive oil and lemon juice, be wary.  I have heard many people describe the impressively large "gallstones" that they magically passed with no pain.  According to Michael Murray, N.D. and Joseph Pizzorno, N.D., the authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, these are not gallstones at all, but rather balls formed when a chemical reaction causes oil and lemon to combine with minerals in the intestine.

British physicians suggest the over-the-counter drug Rowachol, which contains a mixture of compounds from numerous herbs, including peppermint.  Several studies proving this drug's effectiveness in dissolving gallstones have been done in England.  This product is not readily available in North America, but capsules of peppermint essential oil are.  If you want to take these capsules, you should take one or two with each meal.  Also, you should know that the enteric-coated ones are best--they will act most directly because their special coating will not dissolve until they reach the intestines.

The best use for herbs is for preventing gallbladder attacks in the first place.  Dandelion root, Oregon grape root, fringe tree bark, yellow dock, wahoo and radish root were once considered so effective in treating stones that they were listed in the U.S. Dispensatory, a common doctor's prescription guide.  Milk thistle, artichoke and turmeric all help prevent gallstones by making bile less saturated.  Whatever route you choose to treat your stones, you can reduce the inflammation with marshmallow, chamomile and an old Russion folk remedy, nettle.  And you can use cramp bark to help prevent painful spasms.

A diet that contains too much refined food and too little fiber may be at least partially responsible for gallstones.  With such a diet, the gallbladder secretes less acid into the bile fluid.  The body needs this acid to dissolve cholesterol.  Without sufficient acid, cholesterol builds up into stones.  One reason that vegetarians hardly ever get gallstones may be that they eat so much fiber.

Gallbladder Formula
1 teaspoon each dandelion root, Oregon grape root and marshmallow root root
1 quart water
1/2 teaspoon each chamomile flowers and nettle leaves

Combine roots and water and simmer for about 5 minutes.  Turn off heat, add remaining herbs and steep for about 20 minutes.  Strains herbs.  Drink at least 1 cup daily.  The formula can also be used to make a tincture or pills.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 12:51:12 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 01:03:38 PM »
I read part of that book too, and it has some good information. I think the herbs are a legitamate way to cleanse the gallbladder.

However, if you are in bad shape and need to get the stones out RIGHT NOW - like I did, I think the flush is effective. The stones have been analyzed to confirm they are not just olive oil. You do pass the olive oil as well, and it looks like soft green peas. The stones, on the other hand, are very obviously stones - very hard, and very old looking. I know that the stones were there before my flush because I was in continual pain. I know that I passed them because

1) I saw them, and tried to break one
2) I felt them leaving my gallbladder
3) I have no more pain since the last flush, during which I passed the stones.

Some people (including doctors) will say that your gall stones are not gall stones but fecal matter.  To quote from Dr Lewis:

"To clarify the situation and eliminate such questions, I sent a sample of gall stones to a medical analysis lab run by a Ph.D. who heads up the Science Department at Texas Woman's University in Denton.  He ran the necessary tests…

His analysis of the stone sample I sent was 91% cholesterol and the rest was bile salts, water and inert ingredients.  In other words, the sample had the chemical contents of gall stones.  And the report clearly states it was gall stones".

It's always good to study both sides of an issue though, and to know the pros and cons of any treatment.

Rebekah
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 01:05:26 PM by BeeyoutifulGirl »
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 02:03:57 PM »
It's always good to study both sides of an issue though, and to know the pros and cons of any treatment.

I couldn't agree more.  Thanks for your input.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!