Author Topic: Diaper Rash: Causes and Cures  (Read 123303 times)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Re: Diaper Rash: Causes and Cures
« Reply #210 on: February 09, 2010, 09:37:32 AM »
Do you think it could just be swollen and red from hormone levels?

Do you think it could be a reaction to the diapers especially once wet with urine?

Probably the best bet would be to keep her very dry to prevent urine scald and also leave her diaperless in a warm room as much as possible, in a sunny window would be even better. I am so hesitant to use  or suggest anything topically and even more reserved for anything orally for newborns unto toddler stage. If you've never heard about it researching the blood-brain barrier will get you started on WHY I feel that way.

If it's yeast it's likely to show up soon as thrush also. If she does have yeast it's likely something that passed on to her from the mama.   :P Have any symptoms yourself?

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #211 on: February 09, 2010, 09:54:40 AM »
What kind of diapers do you use? If it's disposable, she might be sensitive or allergic to whatever they put in them. If it's cloth, it might be the laundry detergent you are using. That would be my first guess. If one of these things are causing it, it probably won't get better until you switch. If you're pretty sure it's not caused by her diapers, I've always had the best luck with not putting anything on the rash. If it's a really bad rash that's hurting her, I will sometimes put a salve on at night time to protect her skin. But otherwise, her rashes have always healed faster when I just kept her dry. And undiapered as much as possible.  :) Hope that helps!
~Andrea
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #212 on: February 10, 2010, 04:07:49 AM »
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried a dead sea salt bath?  I have found those salty baths to work wonders on all kinds of rashes in my house.  Just an idea.

If you think it could be your cloth diapers, you could buy disposables and try them just for a couple days to see if there is any change.  If you've got her in disposables, you could use regular diaper rash cream to see if that alleviates it at all.

HTH

Offline MommabyHisgrace

• Adept
« Reply #213 on: February 10, 2010, 08:32:23 AM »
Thanks for all your suggestions.  I stopped putting anything on her and I'm changing her disposable diaper often.  It does look like it's not getting worse and may be a little bit better this morning.  I did try the salt bath, but only once--might try that again this evening and let her dry out real well!  I still think it must be yeast-- I have no real symptoms now, but I did have some itching right before(like two days before) she was born.  Will try to keep her nice and clean and dry and see what happens!  Thanks again! 

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #214 on: February 10, 2010, 10:06:48 AM »
Thanks for all your suggestions.  I stopped putting anything on her and I'm changing her disposable diaper often.  It does look like it's not getting worse and may be a little bit better this morning.  I did try the salt bath, but only once--might try that again this evening and let her dry out real well!  I still think it must be yeast-- I have no real symptoms now, but I did have some itching right before(like two days before) she was born.  Will try to keep her nice and clean and dry and see what happens!  Thanks again! 

If it doesn't seem to be getting better, you might try probiotics.  You could dissolve some in water (if you have capsules) and apply it.  My daughter had a diaper rash like that and it wouldn't go away for anything else.  I actually used a probiotic "yogurt" called Bio-K.  Since it is thick, it tends to stay on better than the probiotics in water.  I just applied it topically to the rash and the rash was considerably better within one day and completely gone in 2 days.  She had the rash for about 5 days before I tried the bio-k.  Since the bio-k worked so well, I just figured it must have been yeast-based.   

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #215 on: February 12, 2010, 04:25:05 AM »
OK, all you diaper rash experts out there:
 We've been battling this rash for a week or so, it almost went away then came back.  so, do you think it is yeast?  Ive been bathing him with some tee tree oil in the water and blow drying the area every diaper change, and using burts bees powder.  All because I thought it was yeast.   Do you think it is?  We use cloth diapers, so Ive been adding TTO to the wash water as well.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #216 on: February 12, 2010, 06:18:21 AM »
OK, all you diaper rash experts out there:
 We've been battling this rash for a week or so, it almost went away then came back.  so, do you think it is yeast?  Ive been bathing him with some tee tree oil in the water and blow drying the area every diaper change, and using burts bees powder.  All because I thought it was yeast.   Do you think it is?  We use cloth diapers, so Ive been adding TTO to the wash water as well.

This *looks* like eczema.  Have you patch tested with both benadryl cream and a yeast cream?  The reason I say that is the fastest way to determine if it's yeast or eczema is to do a test on about a 1/2" spot with both creams.  One will aggravate, the other will clear it up.  Whichever clears it then you'll know and you can move on to healing it naturally.  The thing that makes me think it's eczema is he has a pretty good dry patch in one section and typically with yeast I have not seen the dryness, just the redness. 

This looks like eczema to me which means he'd be allergic to something you're eating.  How did you clear it up last time?  Have you eaten something in the past few days that you hadn't had much of for the last few weeks?  I'm thinking dairy.  

After looking at this pic again, it really does look like eczema.

patti
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:20:14 AM by mykidsmom »
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2010, 07:23:02 AM »
so should I try a cortisone cream?  I dont have any yeast cream on hand.  dont drink milk, so no unusual dairy lately.  I cant think of anything Ive eaten that I dont eat all the time......Ill pay closer attention

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #218 on: February 12, 2010, 07:31:56 AM »
  If it's yeast a wash with 1 tsp of boric acid per cup of water will clear it up. This is perfectly safe as a external wash and soothing.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #219 on: February 12, 2010, 07:37:53 AM »
so should I try a cortisone cream?  I dont have any yeast cream on hand.  dont drink milk, so no unusual dairy lately.  I cant think of anything Ive eaten that I dont eat all the time......Ill pay closer attention

If you do test it out I would only use like a 1/2" circle of it.  That stuff is bad, but it's the quickest way I know of to figure out what you're dealing with.  The boric acid wash may also tell you if it's yeast.  If you use the wash and it gets worse then it would be eczema.  The treatments for yeast and eczema exacerbate each other (the rash). 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #220 on: February 12, 2010, 07:47:11 AM »

If you do test it out I would only use like a 1/2" circle of it.  That stuff is bad, but it's the quickest way I know of to figure out what you're dealing with.  The boric acid wash may also tell you if it's yeast.  If you use the wash and it gets worse then it would be eczema.  The treatments for yeast and eczema exacerbate each other (the rash). 

patti
thanks, Ill try that stuff next change.  It is dry and scaley, I thought that meant yeast.  Guess I was wrong.  I was using Eden Salve and it didnt seem to help though. 

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #221 on: February 12, 2010, 07:53:39 AM »
I feel like a johnny-one-note, but my ds had a similar looking rash and we absolutely narrowed it down to OLIVE OIL. 

That was all that we changed and the rashes have not returned. 

Just wanted to throw that in there in case he's getting olive oil.

He can now eat olive oil just fine (it's been a year since the rashes.)

HTH

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #222 on: February 12, 2010, 12:00:05 PM »
If it's yeast, adding some baking soda to the bath should help a bunch. 

Oils, like in salves, messed up my diapers, and caused my little to get rashes and funky/smelly diapers.  Now, I will use an aloe gel blended with whatever herbals I want to get onto her.  The aloe holds it in place long enough to soak in, and moisturizes.  I suspect oil based products of holding in moisuture for too long, and allowing the yeast to flourish in a moist enviromnent.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline TariOronar

• Learning
    • Herbal Scents
« Reply #223 on: January 04, 2012, 08:13:10 PM »
My son is 15 months old.  For the last 6 months, I have been battling diaper rash with him.  If I think about diaper rash too hard, he has it.  For the first 9 months of his life, he was exclusively cloth diapered.  Then I started having rash problems, he'd break out, we'd switch to disposables and put cream on him, it would go away.  Then he got a rash with little sores that were getting bigger rather than smaller, and the doctor said he had a bacterial form of ring worm (I forgot what it was called exactly) so after a rather annoying bout of antibiotics, he was better while in the disposables.  Every time I put cloth on him, within about 30 mins, he smells strongly of ammonia, and is all red.  At first I thought maybe my homemade detergent wasnt getting them all the way clean, so, I bought a new diaper, and tried it with the same results.  I've about decided that his urine is to acidic for his skin, but I'm not sure why, he drinks water like a little camel.
The disposables wick enough that it doesnt bother him, but I'd really rather not have him sitting in funky chemicals all the time...

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #224 on: January 05, 2012, 06:47:40 AM »

It sounds like he is very prone to yeast (which is essentially what diaper rash is) but you said two things that are very key.  1) his urine smells of ammonia and 2) he drinks like a camel.   He's got food allergies.  And you can play the chicken and egg game (which came first) but candida and food allergies go hand in hand.  I would suggest you pull dairy out of his diet (all but butter) and see what happens.  If he improves some, but not totally, go for gluten next.  This type of rashing (continual/returning over and over) is so indicative of food allergies and is exactly what happened to my son and daughter.  The reason disposable diapers work better is because they do pull the acidic urine from his skin but only for so long because a propensity to yeast will quickly kick in another rash.  You can use organic disposable diapers and you won't have the chemicals.