Author Topic: Mineral Foundation  (Read 87179 times)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Re: Mineral Foundation
« Reply #210 on: November 18, 2008, 11:28:25 AM »
My Mom and sister and I just got together for a mineral makeup night...we watched the DVD that she got with her I.D. Minerals (by Bare Minerals)

Here's what I learned:
-Use a very fluffy, fan style brush, dusted off completely after dabbing in just a tiny schprinkle of minerals, will give good overall light coverage.
-A larger to medium domed brush concentrates the pigments, and will give you tighter and heavier coverage. (for blushers and highlighters)
-Only use a tiny amount...like the tiniest sprinkle in the lid...pick it up with your brush, then shake off any powder so that you don't see any on the outside of the brush.  Gently swirl the brush around your face from the outside to the inside for overall coverage.

We had a great time, and tried a bunch of colors from my Mom's kit.  We also compared the coconut bay to the I.D. mineral colors, and placed an order.

Then we got all hyped up on Starbucks Peppermint Mocha Latte's and did crazy makeup to scare our hubbies.  ;D
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #211 on: February 04, 2009, 11:28:04 AM »
Just wanted to give my opinion on the different makeup brands that I've tried. I started with Littlestuff4u (Pure Skin Minerals), then tried out Lumiere, Everyday Minerals, and Coconut Bay as I read about them on here. They seemed to be less expensive & others liked them. I didn't really have much of a preference at first.

However, after a year of experimenting with those, I just decided to go back to Sandra's Pure Skin Minerals on Littlestuff4u.com. It just seemed like I had to use so much to get the coverage I wanted with the others. I never seemed to get my skin tone even. So finding makeup that works beautifully in only a couple of layers is sooo worth the little bit more $. Plus Sandra has such great customer service, pretty packaging, and sends little samples, it's so fun to get her stuff.

So, I thought I could share that in case anyone else was wondering about all the different brands. Hope this helps someone!

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2009, 03:22:44 PM »
Has anyone tried Ferro cosmetics? I'm wanting to try some mineral makeup, and their website LOOKS good...

I'd rather base my decision on someone else's testimonial than going off of how good their website was designed, though.  :)

So. Anybody tried 'em?
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2009, 05:45:01 PM »
I agree with mommyoftwins----Sandra's Pure Skin Minerals from littlestuff4u are my favorite.  The coverage is the best I have found.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline eatyourveggies

• Learning
« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2009, 06:16:23 PM »
I've tried a couple mineral makeup lines. Bare Escentuals, Alima and Everyday Minerals. I don't like BE since 1. their tagline "so pure you can sleep in it" is misleading IMO. Noone should sleep in their makeup and to suggest this is wrong. Any skincare pro or makeup artist will tell you NOT to sleep in makeup as it's unsanitary and terrible for your skin. 2. BE uses bismuth oxychloride (sp) which is a CHEAP filler and many people have skin irritations from it as well as blemishes. A family member of mine used BE and her face puffed up like a balloon and she had to return the items she bought.

Everyday Minerals is great because 1. they send an EXTREMELY generous free sample kit,though you pay shipping, of shades you pick out yourself. 2. The foundation melts into your skin and stays put. Gives your skin a great glow. My one major drawback is that their warm foundations tend to oxidize, meaning they turn orange when reacting to the oil your skin makes, so it takes awhile to find the right shade and one that does not oxidize.  Cool shades usually remedy the problem though they can be a bit too pink looking.

Alima is great cause 1. not too expensive and generous packaging 2. improves skin quality and 3. customer service is fantastic 4. great shade matches. My only drawback though is that you kind of need to pack this stuff on cause it wipes off really easily. Rubbing your face, even gently can cause skin to peek through.

Also as a tip to those who find mineral makeup itchy: after you apply it spritz your face with water and blot off. I've heard so many gals say they can't wear mineral makeup and had to return something due to the itchy feeling they get after applying mineral makeup. Many would be able to fix the problem by spritzing with water. Try this before you do a return.

Offline aireachail

• Adept
« Reply #215 on: February 04, 2009, 07:45:32 PM »
I'm not much of a makeup wearer, but occasionally I do wear a very light amount of mineral foundation. I find that it evens out my skin tones, acts as a light concealer, and gives my skin a pleasant, very natural, appearance.

The only brand I've ever used is Arbonne. It's quite expensive, and I have no idea how well other brands would work, but I've been very pleased with the color of their mineral powder and concealers. Plus, when using it as infrequently and lightly as I do, a little mineral powder goes a long way!

Just my 2 cents!

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #216 on: February 05, 2009, 06:23:18 AM »
Did all you gals know that mineral makeup is a natural sunscreen?  I forget which ingredient it is that makes it a sunscreen but would like to remind everyone that when your makeup gets old that ingredient gets less or non effective.   One good reason to buy small amounts so you use it within a years time therefore having the sunscreen protection.  Just for your info.   ;)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #217 on: February 05, 2009, 06:55:31 PM »
I forget which ingredient it is that makes it a sunscreen...

I think it's zinc oxide.  The same thing in diaper rash cream and those nose sunscreen sticks that turns you white. :)
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #218 on: February 16, 2009, 05:47:36 PM »
I'm gettng ready to use Sandra I think. Any coupon codes for WTM users currently? Daisey I will be PMing you my order # so you can get the $10 off code. I guess if you refer a friend and that friend sends in their name and order # you get $10 off your next order!!! Yay!! We all need to send Daisey our order #s since she's been such a great ad for Sandra!! :)

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #219 on: February 17, 2009, 02:21:05 PM »
I'm gettng ready to use Sandra I think. Any coupon codes for WTM users currently? Daisey I will be PMing you my order # so you can get the $10 off code. I guess if you refer a friend and that friend sends in their name and order # you get $10 off your next order!!! Yay!! We all need to send Daisey our order #s since she's been such a great ad for Sandra!! :)

Wow, thanks chrissyjoy!   I was just thinking I needed to make an order.   I will wait until I get your ordre #.   Thanks a lot.    I guess I am just so satisfied with her products I would like everybody to like them as much as I do.    :)

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #220 on: February 19, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »
So what do you ladies think about this
http://www.organicmakeup.ca/TitaniumDioxide.htm

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #221 on: February 19, 2009, 12:08:57 PM »
welll ladies, I am pleased to announce that I have found a place that sells mineral make up w/o the TD
allnaturalcosmetics.com Earth's Beauty brand

I don't like the regular make up for obvious reasons, but disliked the boron, titanium dioxide, magnesium stearate and ultramarine blue (aluminum) ... Some of Earth's Beauty has some of those ingredients but you can find plenty of stuff w/o it!!! YAY!! they also have $1 samples of almost anything. So we'll see how they work I guess. Has anyone tried them. I will try to keep everyone posted...I'm so excited!

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #222 on: February 23, 2009, 06:24:08 AM »
I was looking at the littlestuff4u and have a few questions for those who have used it before.

If you have tried the different foundations (mouse, creamy and regular) which one did you like the best and why?

I also noticed that there are several brands on  this site Pure Skin, Monave, LaurEss, and Bare Essentials.  Is there one that is liked more than the others?  I know a lot of people said they liked littlestuff4u and I am trying to figure out what brand you all are talking about on littlestuff4u.

thanks
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #223 on: February 23, 2009, 06:37:59 AM »
I was looking at the littlestuff4u and have a few questions for those who have used it before.

If you have tried the different foundations (mouse, creamy and regular) which one did you like the best and why?

I also noticed that there are several brands on  this site Pure Skin, Monave, LaurEss, and Bare Essentials.  Is there one that is liked more than the others?  I know a lot of people said they liked littlestuff4u and I am trying to figure out what brand you all are talking about on littlestuff4u.

thanks

littlestuff4u is run by Sandra----her products are the Pure Skin line.  The others are things she carries for the convenience of her customers. 
I have tried her regular and mouse foundation.   I did like the mouse but since  I don't wear makeup on a daily basis I thought it got old before I had finished using it so I switched back to the powder.   I didn't try the creamy foundation because it had things in the base that I don't want to put on my skin.   

I have watched this thread for a long time and sometimes find it amusing because we all would like others to love the product we love-------------yet, each of us has to decide which things we want to put on our skin.   There are some who don't mind glycerin (just an example) and think it is wonderfully natural while others will think it isn't natural enough.    I guess I would suggest deciding exactly how natural/pure you want to go then research the products that fall in line with that decision.   The tendency is to take one ingredient and think that one is bad, find something that doesn't have it yet ignore all the other bad things in it because it doesn't have the one bad one.   (Did that make any sense?    ::) )    Anyway,  Sandra's is pretty pure overall, there are a few things I wouldn't buy because, like I said they have something in them I don't want to put on my skin.   You really need to pick and choose even within a certain line.
Sorry I went on so long.   HTH   Just my opinions.     Try some samples and see what you think.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #224 on: February 23, 2009, 07:00:04 AM »

thanks

littlestuff4u is run by Sandra----her products are the Pure Skin line.  The others are things she carries for the convenience of her customers. 
I have tried her regular and mouse foundation.   I did like the mouse but since  I don't wear makeup on a daily basis I thought it got old before I had finished using it so I switched back to the powder.   I didn't try the creamy foundation because it had things in the base that I don't want to put on my skin.   

I have watched this thread for a long time and sometimes find it amusing because we all would like others to love the product we love-------------yet, each of us has to decide which things we want to put on our skin.   There are some who don't mind glycerin (just an example) and think it is wonderfully natural while others will think it isn't natural enough.    I guess I would suggest deciding exactly how natural/pure you want to go then research the products that fall in line with that decision.   The tendency is to take one ingredient and think that one is bad, find something that doesn't have it yet ignore all the other bad things in it because it doesn't have the one bad one.   (Did that make any sense?    ::) )    Anyway,  Sandra's is pretty pure overall, there are a few things I wouldn't buy because, like I said they have something in them I don't want to put on my skin.   You really need to pick and choose even within a certain line.
Sorry I went on so long.   HTH   Just my opinions.     Try some samples and see what you think.

Thanks.  I guess I wasn't clear enough with my question.  I am more interested in the quality, how it works (goes on, stays on, feels good, etc.)  not so much the ingredients because I know like you said we all have different op pinions of what we like.

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #225 on: February 23, 2009, 07:16:05 AM »
Sorry---------The mouse foundation went on really smooth.   I did like the way it felt because my skin has a tendency to be dry in the winter.  It also had a really nice dewy look.
 I guess the one thing I really like about mineral makeup is that it doesn't leave that ugly makeup ring on your clothes----although when I tried Bare Essentials that did rub off on my clothes, don't know why, it just didn't stay put as well.
Sorry I can't help with the creamy foundation.   
Just wanted to let you know that Sandra has a $1 shipping for today only so if you are close to ordering today would be a good time to do it.  :)

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #226 on: February 23, 2009, 07:22:56 AM »
Sorry---------The mouse foundation went on really smooth.   I did like the way it felt because my skin has a tendency to be dry in the winter.  It also had a really nice dewy look.
 I guess the one thing I really like about mineral makeup is that it doesn't leave that ugly makeup ring on your clothes----although when I tried Bare Essentials that did rub off on my clothes, don't know why, it just didn't stay put as well.
Just wanted to let you know that Sandra has a $1 shipping for today only so if you are close to ordering today would be a good time to do it.  :)

No biggie.  Sometimes I have issues with the transfer of what is in my head to what comes out of my mouth or typed by my fingers. ;) 
Thanks.

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #227 on: February 23, 2009, 07:28:37 AM »
Sorry---------The mouse foundation went on really smooth.   I did like the way it felt because my skin has a tendency to be dry in the winter.  It also had a really nice dewy look.

No biggie.  Sometimes I have issues with the transfer of what is in my head to what comes out of my mouth or typed by my fingers. ;) 
Thanks.

Totally know what you mean.   For some reason I seem to be a total dunderhead on Mondays.   ;D
Have a good day.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #228 on: February 23, 2009, 05:58:55 PM »
Just a little FYI. Sandra got the water dispersable TD now I believe!! which I think is better. Yay! I am still not happy w/ any TD so I'm going with Earth's Beauty (which I'm very pleased w/ $1 samples arrived in several days) Haven't tried them yet (they are smallll)

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #229 on: March 10, 2009, 10:26:22 AM »
I received my order from Sandra yesterday and was so excited to try it out that I was putting on makeup at 9:30 last night.  ;D  I love it.  It definitely covers a lot better than what I was previously using and with less.  The brushes are amazing too.  I will definitely be order more from Sandra.  DH likes how the makeup looks on me better too. ;)  Like many have said before Sandra is really sweet too.  She answered all my questions and even sent me a couple extra samples.  The packaging was just lovely.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #230 on: March 10, 2009, 10:34:19 AM »
what kind were you using previously?

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #231 on: March 10, 2009, 10:37:51 AM »
I received my order from Sandra yesterday and was so excited to try it out that I was putting on makeup at 9:30 last night.  ;D  I love it.  It definitely covers a lot better than what I was previously using and with less.  The brushes are amazing too.  I will definitely be order more from Sandra.  DH likes how the makeup looks on me better too. ;)  Like many have said before Sandra is really sweet too.  She answered all my questions and even sent me a couple extra samples.  The packaging was just lovely.

I am so glad you are pleased with your order............what foundation did you decide to order?
Enjoy

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #232 on: March 11, 2009, 03:15:43 AM »
what kind were you using previously?

Everyday minerals.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #233 on: March 11, 2009, 03:19:04 AM »

I am so glad you are pleased with your order............what foundation did you decide to order?
Enjoy

I ordered a trial size of the Natural Bisque and the Satin Buff powdered minerals, because summer is right around the corner actually it has pretty much already started here in FL and the humidity is crazy.  I think I would like to try the  mouse foundation during the winter since it is dryer at that time of the year.  I also went with the pearl silk dust for the finishing powder.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #234 on: March 11, 2009, 04:53:23 AM »
Loving mama...PM your name and order # to Daisey and she'll get $10 referall credit...Daisey deserves all our referall credits..she's a great ad! :)