Author Topic: Mineral Foundation  (Read 86045 times)

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
Re: Mineral Foundation
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2007, 04:16:31 PM »
Sorry I was out of town for a couple of days.   The Kabuki from littlestuff is good.  She has a pink one that is really soft!  :)    One thing with mineral makeup is that I think it is different on each persons face.  Meaning, my daughter likes Monave and Littlestuff but I like the littlestuff better because it stays on my face better than Monave.    I think there is something about your skin type etc so if you can get some samples from the different companies and try them you will find one that fits you just right.   :D
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline Jesuslovinmomma

• Learning
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2007, 09:51:22 AM »
 More comments on the Everyday Minerals...
They have 3 different formulas for the foundation. I've tried 2 only like the intensive coverage, it is supposed to stay on better than the others??? Also it helps me when my mousturizer is still a little wet on my face.I have heard the best way to set mineral make up is to use a spritzer over the top. I know there are some out on the market or I think you can use distilled water in a spritzing water bottle( with a very fine mist)? Does anybody know about the water? Anybody try it? Also using the finishing powder is supposed to helpit stay on.

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2007, 01:51:40 PM »
I just use a toner for a spritz after I apply my mineral makeup and that seems to work fine.  I actually don't think I need it because my minerals always stayed on well before but I like the fresh smell.  Doesn't your makeup get a little tacky when you put it on right away after your moisturizer?  I would be afraid it would get streaky.   I always leave my moisturizer set about 10 minutes before applying minerals.

Offline Jesuslovinmomma

• Learning
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2007, 04:50:44 PM »
I do let it set in for a few minutes, I just can't wait say an hour or so..  Depending on how dry it is. I live on the central coast of CA , so we don't get too humid here. I like to still feel "dewy".  I also read , and have tried a couple times, tinting my moisturizer with my minerals for a very light coverage. I did put too much in before and it was no so nice :-)

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2007, 07:56:40 AM »
I have heard you can tint your moisturizer also but have not tried that.  Littlestuff has 2 different foundations besides the loose powder.  One is a creamy base and the other is a mousse.  I have the mousse and do like it but much prefer the loose powder  If I want a dewy look I use the mousse and just brush a light coat of loose minerals over it and get great coverage.

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2007, 06:08:14 AM »
Hi friends
Just got the neatest email from Sandra on the littlestuff4u site.

I created a coupon code for anyone coming from the WellTellMe site and buying from us for the first time.

They can use coupon code WellTellMe and get 10% off an order of $10 or more.

If they have questions on products they can email me or post on the board.
[/color]

Thanks to all of you who have ordered from Sandra.   I know she really appreciates your business.

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2007, 02:42:15 AM »
I know it's taken me a while to get back to this.  What can I say, I'm "bizy" :) I went with Everyday Minerals, and absolutely LOVE it!!!!  Highly recommend to anyone!  I started with their sample kit and then ordered a full kit and would love to order more!!  I'm hooked!  My skin has greatly improved since using it.  I ran out of my samples a few days before my full kit came and used my old tinted moisturizer.  My face was dried out and broke out in 2 days!!  It made me see what a huge difference there was in my skin.   :D

Offline Mrs_H

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2007, 06:18:50 PM »
I've been using BM for over a year but I have also tried avon & some others- My kabuki brush is filthy! How do I clean it? I've tried just rinsing it with hot water and it dosen't seem to work? How do you mineral makeup users clean your brushes? I have started breaking out lately and I don't know if it's the avon or the dirty brush.   :-\

Thanks  ;)

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2007, 07:38:44 AM »
I've been using BM for over a year but I have also tried avon & some others- My kabuki brush is filthy! How do I clean it? I've tried just rinsing it with hot water and it dosen't seem to work? How do you mineral makeup users clean your brushes? I have started breaking out lately and I don't know if it's the avon or the dirty brush.   :-\

Thanks  ;)
You can use a gentle shampoo and wash your brushes with that.   I even sometimes put a little conditioner on them after I wash them and work it in then rinse really well.   Let air dry and your set to go for another 2 weeks or so.   They should be washed about every 2 weeks or so.    That sort of depends on how often you wear makeup.   If you are an every day user 2 weeks is about the max time for using without washing.   Sometimes if I don't wear makeup every day I can get by with washing them once a month but that is stretching it.   Clean brushes are really a lot nicer to use too.   :)   I'm not familiar with Avon's mineral makeup but I wouldn't think it is as pure as either littlestuff4u or monave.    HTH

Offline SunRose

• Learning
Re: Mineral Foundation HELP
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2007, 01:29:06 PM »
Hi all
I'm so happy that some of you have tried the Sandra's Minerals.   :)    I love them so much I just wanted to share them with everybody.     Anyway, as for getting correct color~~~just write and ask Sandra for help.  She is really a very helpful.  She will ask about what you currently wear, what skin tone you have and suggest some colors for you.   Baggie samples are only $1 so that is a good way to try foundation.    I now have so much fun with my makeup because I know it looks as natural as I want it to but it evens out all the imperfections.     :D    One thing though is that you really need good brushes to get a nice coverage.   That is the only area I don't skimp on.   
Lookin' good girls.

Hi. I do want to contact Sandra and ask her some questions. How can I contact her? Thanks so much!

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2007, 03:17:49 PM »
Go to www.littlestuff4u.com and click on "contact us." She will get back to you very quickly.

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
Go to www.littlestuff4u.com and click on "contact us." She will get back to you very quickly.

Also, I think if you want to buy something from her and you go to her site by clicking on the ad she has on the bottom of the main WTM page it helps her know how many people are coming to her from WTM.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 03:32:58 PM by Kati*did »
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline LavenderMom

• Learning
    • From Fields and Gardens
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2007, 07:52:47 AM »
I know this reply is a few weeks late, but the best mineral makeup I have found is Joppa Minerals.  I have used some other brands and some I really liked, but this brand is the best I have ever used.  It is very reasonably priced.  A full sized foundation is only like $14.00.  You can purchase it at www.fromfieldsandgardens.com.  The best is the foundation/bronzer combination.  It is fabulous for summer!

Offline clearanceshopper

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2007, 06:58:17 AM »
The itchiness that people are experiencing is from an ingredient called Bismuth Oxichloride this ingredient is in most mineral makeup and is the main ingredient in Bare Escential/Bare Minerals if you become allergic to this ingredient it can cause major skin inflamation and cyst like acne.  There are alot of good companys that offer great mineral cosmetics (ie. www.mineralbasics.com, www.joppaminerals.com, www.everydayminerals.com, www.lumiere.com)  that do not use this ingredient you just have to look online unfortunatly you will not find any of these in a store.

This is an article on Bismuth that you might find of interest

Mineral makeup is becoming ever popular as we become more and more conscious of what we are putting onto our skin and bodies. Because of this increased awareness people are asking more questions. And one of the most popular questions is about the ingredient bismuth oxychloride. Women want to know what it is and why it is in so many brands of mineral cosmetics.

There are a lot of almost facts and half- truths flying around out there. In this article we'll learn what bismuth oxychloride is, where it comes from, why it is used, and if makeup with it as an ingredient is a good choice for you.

Bismuth is the by-product of lead and copper refining, as well as other metals to a smaller degree. Bismuth occurs very rarely in nature. It is on the periodic table of elements under the symbol Bi at atomic number 83. It is very heavy and chemically resembles arsenic and antimony. It has a whitish/iridescent hue and has a very high shine property to it. Of all the heavy metals it is the only non-toxic. Bimsuth is a carrier for fuel in nuclear reactors. Bismuth components are used in everything from detection work, to making acrylic fibers, to safety devices in fire detection and extinguishing items, soldering, magnets and medicine as well as cosmetics. Because it is a by-product of lead refining, bismuth oxychloride should be lead free when companies begin using it in their cosmetics.

Companies use this in their cosmetics because it is cheap to buy and is an inexpensive filler. It does have binding qualities, so the makeup will "stick" to your skin, so to speak. There are other products that are just as effective at adhesion, and are better for your skin. Because of its molecular make up, it is often viewed as shiny or pearlescent. It is often sold in these two varieties. This makes it highly refractive, which is something companies want. Refraction will camouflage fine lines, wrinkles and discolorations. If you use a brand with bismuth oxychloride you'll notice a shiny look after applying the makeup. Not like oiliness, but almost shimmery. That's the bismuth oxychloride.

It's a very heavy element, which makes it difficult for many people to wear. It has to be forced into the pores (hence the buffing technique) otherwise it is capable of sliding off the wearer's face. The heaviness can result in clogged pores or irritated skin. Bismuth oxychloride often feels silky and not rough when rubbed between the fingers. Mineral makeup companies that do not use it have a lighter feeling makeup that usually blends into the skin better and with less effort.

Its molecular makeup is a crystalline shape, which may be a cause of the itchiness some women get when they wear it. Many women experience noticeable itching when they sweat. Don't forget it is also kin to arsenic, chemically. Your body will reject things it does not like, and if you'll get sick from ingesting arsenic, it would make sense that your skin would get irritated from having arsenic forced into it.

So, if you find you're experiencing some problems with your current mineral makeup and it contains bismuth oxychloride, you may want to consider switching brands. Many women experience skin irritation when using mineral makeup and don't know why. It's likely that bismuth oxychloride is the reason.

Offline LavenderMom

• Learning
    • From Fields and Gardens
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2007, 07:54:30 AM »
I just wanted to let everyone know that my sister is the owner of Joppa Minerals.  She created the formula herself.  I actually formulate some of her natural skin care products.  I also sell Joppa Minerals on my site www.fromfieldsandgardens.com.  It is the best mineral makeup on the market...although, I may seem a bit biased.  Honestly, though...I have used others and I am not a big fan of makeup to begin with.  It is good for your skin and it looks natural.  The bismuth is what causes irritation with other brands of mineral makeup.  Joppa contains no bismuth. 

Offline ScottsHelper

• Adept
  • Army Family...Proudly Serving Our Country!
    • The Munchkins and Me
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2007, 04:37:18 AM »
I am so interested in trying the mineral makeup...with all the good things you all have to say about it!  I have several questions that I couldn't find answers to yet on the forum.

Those of you who are singing the praises of littlestuff4you.com, which line of products are you actually using?-it appears that there are several brands that she carries.  I've been looking at the Pure Skin Minerals line. 

Also, has anyone tried using honey to remove mineral foundation?  (looking to go as natural as possible, and on another thread it sounded like many loved what honey did for their complexion, but some said it would not remove some makeup well). 

Finally, as the makeup was described to sit on the surface of your face and is not absorbed, do you find that it rubs off on clothing very easily?  (I'm picturing sending my dh off to work with a hug and kiss, and a smear of makeup on his collar! :-)    ) 

I am so glad there are inexpensive samples to try-- it's not such a financial risk to find the right shade!!!!

Thanks everyone!
Heather

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2007, 05:38:34 AM »
Also, has anyone tried using honey to remove mineral foundation?  (looking to go as natural as possible, and on another thread it sounded like many loved what honey did for their complexion, but some said it would not remove some makeup well). 

Finally, as the makeup was described to sit on the surface of your face and is not absorbed, do you find that it rubs off on clothing very easily?  (I'm picturing sending my dh off to work with a hug and kiss, and a smear of makeup on his collar! :-)    ) 

I am so glad there are inexpensive samples to try-- it's not such a financial risk to find the right shade!!!!

Thanks everyone!
Heather
For what it's worth, I use honey to wash my face all the time.  Whether I use my Mary Kay (it's faster for me than the mineral!) or my mineral makeup, honey seems to get it all off.  I use white washcloths, so I think I would notice if it didn't come clean.  I love the way my face feels with honey!

So far, I haven't noticed any smearing with the mineral makeup - I haven't checked for it, but I haven't noticed it!

It's great to use - have fun!

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2007, 08:52:16 AM »
I am so interested in trying the mineral makeup...with all the good things you all have to say about it!  I have several questions that I couldn't find answers to yet on the forum.

Those of you who are singing the praises of littlestuff4you.com, which line of products are you actually using?-it appears that there are several brands that she carries.  I've been looking at the Pure Skin Minerals line. 

Thanks everyone!
Heather

Hope you will love minerals as much as I do.   I use littlestuff4u pure skin line.   I believe Sandra offers the other lines so people have a choice but I know she is trying to close out on all but her own line which is the pure skin line.   I started with minerals by using Bare Essentials but that did indeed rub off on my clothes.   The Pure Skin Line does NOT rub off on your clothes.   I don't know if that has to do with individual skin or not but if you do find you have some rubbing off try spraying your face after you put your minerals on with a toner or other refreshing skin spray.   I have a refreshing citrus spray that I use when I need a pick me up. 
If you have questions Sandra is a jewel to help.  Her service is  super and you will love your mail once you order.  She makes opening a package a real treat.  HTH   Have fun!!!! :D

Offline ScottsHelper

• Adept
  • Army Family...Proudly Serving Our Country!
    • The Munchkins and Me
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2007, 09:31:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies to my questions!

For those who do use the Pure Skin Minerals from littlestuff4you, have you noticed that it is necessary to use the concealer, foundation, AND finishing powder, or that the foundation is enough by itself? (I mysellf am used to having to use quite a bit of powder and liquid foundation--the bad stuff from wal-mart-to cover the redness from my face.  With the mineral makeup, I want to look natural, but not like I have no make-up on at all, if that makes sense!)

Heather

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2007, 10:26:57 AM »
Makes perfect sense.    :)
I think it depends on what you like.   I usually use concealer just on red areas etc.   Some days I don't have any so I don't use concealer.  There are days when I am in a big hurry and I mix some foundation with the finishing dust, put that on and am out the door.    I am a SAHM so I don't have many days when I'm truely in such a hurry but once in awhile life does get hectic.   I really like the pure silk powder and use that as my finishing dust.   I am anxiously waiting for an order which includes the new foundation that is for more mature skin.   I'm anxious to see what the difference is.   HTH

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2007, 12:25:45 AM »
For what it's worth, I use honey to wash my face all the time.  Whether I use my Mary Kay (it's faster for me than the mineral!) or my mineral makeup, honey seems to get it all off.  I use white washcloths, so I think I would notice if it didn't come clean.  I love the way my face feels with honey!

So far, I haven't noticed any smearing with the mineral makeup - I haven't checked for it, but I haven't noticed it!

It's great to use - have fun!

Honey?  Wow....how do you clean your face with honey?  Just smear it on & rinse off, or leave on it for a bit, or what?

Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2007, 06:39:44 AM »

[/quote]

Honey?  Wow....how do you clean your face with honey?  Just smear it on & rinse off, or leave on it for a bit, or what?

[/quote]

I know it sounds strange, but I read about it on acne board and decided to try it.  I just get my face wet and then rub it all (gently) around.  You would be amazed at how easily it rinses off  - it leaves my face very soft.  I thought it would be too thick to wash with, but it is very easy when your face is wet.  Of course, if you get distracted and don't rinse well, it doesn't taste bad when you lick your lips! ;)

I tried leaving it on once like a mask, but it almost tingled when I did that, and it seemed to feel a bit tight afterwards.  It wasn't bad, but I'm usually in a hurry anyways and just use it as a wash.  I actually like it better than my Mary Kay!

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2007, 06:50:40 AM »
Hi,
I've been using minerals for awhile.  I tried Signature, Laremin, Everyday Minerals, and Meow Cosmetics.  It took me a long time to find the right foundation shade.  I am using Meow's foundation.  I like Everyday Minerals for blush.  They have excellent prices but I would have to mix a few shades to get the right color and the foundation didn't have very good staying power on my skin.   :(  The only thing about Meow is that some of the names of their eye shadows are a bit  :o.  So beware if you are sensitive to things like that. 
I have been trying to come up with a natural face cleaning routine.  I keep changing it.  Here is what I do right now.  At night I use a wet microfiber washcloth to remove my makeup.  Then I use kefir as a face mask for a few minutes or more.  When I take my shower I rinse the kefir and use the micro washcloth again or just wash with honey.  In the morning I use the micro cloth or honey or aloe to clean my face depending on what I think my face needs.  At night I use emu oil to moisturize and sometimes aloe with it.  In the morning I use jojoba oil or olive oil to moisturize and sometimes aloe.  I will oil cleanse once or twice a week when I think I need it.  The kefir works like an exfoliating mask for me. 
Briana

Offline Rikki

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2007, 11:44:07 AM »
I have been using bare minerals for about 3 yrs now -- and LOVE it! It is about $60 to get started, but my make up last over a year. It always looks so natural but covers so well! Now that I have researched some and see that it's really not all natural, I'm hoping to try another brand. now for the embarrassing part.....
     I've been using my makeup that log and didn't know I was supposed to be washing my brushes!!! AAAAHHHHH!! I have bought new ones, but the one I have now I have used for prob 10 months and never washed!! Why would I even admit that to ya'll.....?? ;D

I am washing them tonight tho!

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2007, 12:14:42 PM »
I have been using bare minerals for about 3 yrs now -- and LOVE it! It is about $60 to get started, but my make up last over a year. It always looks so natural but covers so well! Now that I have researched some and see that it's really not all natural, I'm hoping to try another brand. now for the embarrassing part.....
     I've been using my makeup that log and didn't know I was supposed to be washing my brushes!!! AAAAHHHHH!! I have bought new ones, but the one I have now I have used for prob 10 months and never washed!! Why would I even admit that to ya'll.....?? ;D

I am washing them tonight tho!
Don't feel bad~~~sometimes my brushes get left to long also.   It is so nice to use clean ones though.    Yours are probably still good.  I'd wash them up and keep using them.

I just got an order from littlestuff4u.   Tried her new foundation for drier skin.  It is the Pure Skin line called Normal/Dry foundation.   I really was pleased with the original formula but since my skin is of the older persuasion I thought I would try this.   I was really impressed!!!  My skin looked so dewy and soft.   If anybody is thinking their minerals look a little to powdery once in awhile I would definitely recommend this.    :)

I have been using minerals for almost 3 years also and I would have to say the brushes are probably the biggest initial investment but I've had mine all this time so they are really worth the price. 

cecac

« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2007, 10:41:18 AM »
I am looking into mineral makeup for my dd for her birthday.  Does she absolutely need the base?  If she were to put on her face oil each morning and then allow it to sink in for 10 minutes, what kind of coverage would she get using the loose powder?  She has a nice complexion, so we just want some light coverage.  Then, we were going to get her three of the "colors" of minerals for eye shadow and blush.  I'm just wondering if it will all stick and stay during the day without the foundation.

Also, I was going to link from WTM for one of the companies that sell mineral makeup, but I don't see any of their adds.  Have they been dropped from WTM?

Thank you,
Cara

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2007, 11:10:49 AM »
 I  use the powder foundation, a little bronzer (I need the color) and the mineral veil. That combo works really well for me. Sometimes I'll add a little blush. I think the coverage is light and so natural but can be appplied in layers and also on any spots ;) if you need a little more coverage. I love it! I wash my face with honey and use just a touch of coconut oil for a moisturizer. Let it set a minute and apply the makeup. I have accidentally used the mineral veil instead of the foundation. I didn't think it did anything by itself. Even with the foundation hubby can't tell I'm wearing makeup.
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2007, 01:23:46 PM »
I am looking into mineral makeup for my dd for her birthday.  Does she absolutely need the base?  If she were to put on her face oil each morning and then allow it to sink in for 10 minutes, what kind of coverage would she get using the loose powder?  She has a nice complexion, so we just want some light coverage.  Then, we were going to get her three of the "colors" of minerals for eye shadow and blush.  I'm just wondering if it will all stick and stay during the day without the foundation.

Also, I was going to link from WTM for one of the companies that sell mineral makeup, but I don't see any of their adds.  Have they been dropped from WTM?

Thank you,
Cara

If your daughter has really nice skin she could get by with just a Silk Powder finishing Dust.  littlestuff4u has 3 different choices in her Pure Skin line for the Silk Powder finishing dust.  One of them is tinted if you want just a hint of color.    It is always a good idea to let your facial moisturizer to set about 10 minutes before putting on your makeup.   You can kind of control the coverage you get by applying layers.  If you need more coverage on certain days then put an extra layer on.    I have 3 teenage dd's and they all use minerals and their skin has a really nice natural healthy glow.   HTH

cecac

« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2007, 02:59:21 PM »
Daisey,

Do your teenage daughters use a foundation, or do they just use the dusting powder?

Thank you, Ella, for sharing.  We are in the decision mode right now so I can use all the suggestions I can get!!

Thank you,
Cara

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2007, 03:26:50 PM »
It depends on the time of the month.   They do have trouble with blemishes and during that time they do wear foundation but when their skin is clear they can get by with just the Silk Pearl Dust.   The foundation really helps to even out skin tone when that is a problem.  HTH