Author Topic: Mineral Foundation  (Read 87122 times)

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
Re: Mineral Foundation
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2006, 09:28:31 AM »
I have never tried to make the mineral makeup but I do know you can.   If you want information on that try www.monave.com     It is another really good mineral makeup site and they sell kits to make your own.   
God Bless
Daisey
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline Gods_child

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 05:11:53 PM »
So can someone please tell me which other mineral foundations, besides sandra's minerals, are 100% pure and natural??? I use bare minerals now but am going to switch to one that is ALL NATURAL! I want to look at all of them and compare quality and prices too...so any help from those of you who ALREADY know this would be greeeaaaatly appreciated! Thanx!  ;)

Offline Gods_child

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2006, 12:21:43 PM »
Has anyone ever tried Afterglow cosmetics? They say they are 100% pure minerals but I would like to see if anyone has tried it and what they think about it! Thanx! Maybe there is something similar to it but cheaper???

Offline Joy2BMommy

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2006, 12:56:58 PM »
Forgive me if this one has already been mentioned, I only skimmed the previous messages in this thread.  I use Mineral Basics and love it.  Chandi, the owner/operator gives great customer service.  I've e-mailed her on occasion with questions about color, coverage, brushes, etc.  She's always responded quickly and thoroughly.  Again, I didn't check for all the links here, but just checked the first one (the litlle stuff 4 u one) and Chandi's prices were quite a bit lower - like by about $10 for the same size foundation.  For example, the 30 gram jar at that site says it's 8 grams by weight and it costs $24.  From Mineral Basics a 30ml sifter jar contains 10 grams by weight and costs only $14.99.  The quality is great and there is none of the bismuth or other "fillers" in it.  Her ingredients are all listed on her site.  So anyway, for those of you on a tighter budget, looking for good quality mineral make up, perhaps look into her website http://www.mineralbasics.com  I use her brushes too, the kabuki is wonderful and gives perfect coverage. 

I don't know her personally or get anything for the recommendation, just a satisfied customer happy to share ;D.

If it was mentioned already, sorry for the repeat!

Debbi
Blessed mama of six kiddos with #7 on the way!

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2006, 07:42:49 AM »
So can someone please tell me which other mineral foundations, besides sandra's minerals, are 100% pure and natural??? I use bare minerals now but am going to switch to one that is ALL NATURAL! I want to look at all of them and compare quality and prices too...so any help from those of you who ALREADY know this would be greeeaaaatly appreciated! Thanx!  ;)

Hi Gods_child
I know that the Monave minerals are REALLY pure.   I am planning on checking out the site mentioned after your original post.   I usually get littlestuff4u and really love it.  I use the mini jars so the cost is low and I don't have a bunch of makeup sitting around getting old.   I know the minerals have a long shelf life but I don't wear makeup every day so it takes a long time for me to go through a large jar of foundation.   
God Bless
Daisey

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2006, 09:55:29 AM »
Forgive me if this one has already been mentioned, I only skimmed the previous messages in this thread.  I use Mineral Basics and love it.  Chandi, the owner/operator gives great customer service.  I've e-mailed her on occasion with questions about color, coverage, brushes, etc.  She's always responded quickly and thoroughly.  Again, I didn't check for all the links here, but just checked the first one (the litlle stuff 4 u one) and Chandi's prices were quite a bit lower - like by about $10 for the same size foundation.  For example, the 30 gram jar at that site says it's 8 grams by weight and it costs $24.  From Mineral Basics a 30ml sifter jar contains 10 grams by weight and costs only $14.99.  The quality is great and there is none of the bismuth or other "fillers" in it.  Her ingredients are all listed on her site.  So anyway, for those of you on a tighter budget, looking for good quality mineral make up, perhaps look into her website http://www.mineralbasics.com  I use her brushes too, the kabuki is wonderful and gives perfect coverage. 

I don't know her personally or get anything for the recommendation, just a satisfied customer happy to share ;D.

If it was mentioned already, sorry for the repeat!

Debbi

hi, i have been looking at the site mentioned.  is the brush set necessary for application?  and is the one on their clearance sale a good one to get?  how would a person know what color to order for foundation?  i guess she must get lots of emails!  thanks for sharing this.  i am interested in switching over, just trying not to spend too much doing so. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Joy2BMommy

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2006, 10:43:49 AM »
I don't think a brush set is necessary, but a good foundation brush (such as a kabuki) is really important.  If you don't have a good brush for foundation it will not apply well.  I have the kabuki and a basic brush for blush and a bigger, yet still pretty basic brush for my finishing powder.  That's pretty much all I use on a regular basis.  I have a few other things but I don't use them very often.

Actually, in looking at the clearance, the multi-use brush that's only $4.00 is the one that I have for my blush, it would work well for finishing powder too.  But I highly recommend a Kabuki for the foundation. 

As for colors and products, I didn't know what to get either.  She has some basic descriptions on her website, but I e-mailed her for suggestions.  She e-mailed back with some questions and then made suggestions based on that.

In the end I ordered the 6 piece Medium set sampler for $14.99.  She says it's a 90 day supply, but I don't wear it as "full" coverage, probably medium to sheer so it lasted me longer than that.  The perfect tan bronzer that came with it is the blush that I use, I love it, it gives my face a nice healthy look without really looking like I'm wearing blush and it's neutral so I never have to worry about it matching what I'm wearing.  The little sample that came with it lasted me several months.  So the $14.99 kit along with a couple brushes would likely give you everything you'd need to get you started.  Even now that I'm ordering the full sizes, everything I use regularly was included in that starter kit, except for the foundation that I change to in the summer. 

Chandi is great with returning e-mails, even returned one of mine during the busy holiday season regarding how to clean a brush.  She's been great, I plan to use her products long term.

Blessings,
Debbi
Blessed mama of six kiddos with #7 on the way!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2007, 05:23:22 AM »
I just saw an ad on TV the other night for a mineral foundation by one of the leading "regular" cosmetic companies.  Don't remember which one (Loreal, I think).  They are probably not as good as the stuff mentioned here, but it might be a start for those of us who are on a tighter budget for makeup.  Just a headsup, this is starting to catch on.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2007, 05:34:57 AM »
I've been using the AVON mineral makeup. I bought two colors and I mix them together. I'm pretty amazed at the coverage. The downside is that if you apply too much it looks the same as liquid foundation. I'm working on getting that natural look...but when I get it right my skin looks great!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2007, 05:41:56 AM »
I just saw an ad on TV the other night for a mineral foundation by one of the leading "regular" cosmetic companies.  Don't remember which one (Loreal, I think).  They are probably not as good as the stuff mentioned here, but it might be a start for those of us who are on a tighter budget for makeup.  Just a headsup, this is starting to catch on.

I saw the Loreal mineral makeup at walmart the other day -- here's a little article about it.  It tells about some of it's ingredients and mentions that it's not a completely natural mineral makeup.
http://makeup.lovetoknow.com/Loreal_Mineral_Makeup
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 07:00:30 AM by Kati*did »
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2007, 06:13:15 AM »
I haven't checked out the price of any of these minerals that you can buy in the store but I would caution anyone buying them to check out the ingredient list.   If you are wanting something really natural you might have to really search to find out if these are really natural.   I did check the Loreal and couldn't find an ingredient list (on the web that is.)   Granted I didn't spend to much time on it but just wanted to throw it out there so all are aware that main stream companies may put 'other' things in the minerals that you don't want.
One thing about some of these independent companies like littlestuff4u and mineralbsics is that they usually all offer baggie samples for about a dollar so you can try things to see if they work.   I know the littlestuff4u has foundation baggies so if you are uncertain about a color you can just get the baggies and try them.  Sandra is also very good about helping you choose a color if you email her.   
I do agree that a Kabuki is about the best brush to have for applying the minerals.   I don't think a brush kit is necessary but you do want a good brush for the foundation.   Your finger will even work in a pinch for eyeshadow.   :)   Most people probably have some kind of fluffy blush brush on hand.  Just make sure you wash your brushes once in awhile so they are clean.  Especially when you first start using your minerals.
One this I probably mentioned before was to watch out for Bismuth Oxychloride in the ingredients.   For quite a few women it makes the skin itch which is not pleasant.
Happy minerals.   :D

Offline cajunmom

• Learning
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2007, 05:47:09 PM »
Just a warning... I bought the Bare Minerals makeup, also, and they claim that it is so gentle you can sleep in it.  Well, I can't!  If I do, it really irritates my eyes ( very sensitive! ).  Also, I couldn't  find a mix of base colors that really matched my complexion.  Maybe this is my fault (?) but I've gone back to using L'Oreal's line of blendable make-ups.  It seems to match my needs better, and looks very natural!

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2007, 06:11:20 PM »
L'Oreal's line of "mineral" make-up has talc and lots of other stuff in it.  It is not all mineral.  You really have to check.  And I never sleep in my mineral make-up.  I don't care what they say, sleeping in it would have to clog my pores :P
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.  -- Albert Einstein

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2007, 04:54:07 AM »
Just a warning... I bought the Bare Minerals makeup, also, and they claim that it is so gentle you can sleep in it.  Well, I can't!  If I do, it really irritates my eyes ( very sensitive! ).  Also, I couldn't  find a mix of base colors that really matched my complexion.  Maybe this is my fault (?) but I've gone back to using L'Oreal's line of blendable make-ups.  It seems to match my needs better, and looks very natural!
Sorry you had such a bad experience with Bare Minerals.   It was probably the Bismuth that caused the problem.   If you ever want to try again check out littlestuff4u, Monave or Mineral Basics.  They are all really pure and don't have Bismuth.  You might have better results and even like it.
As far as matching complexion I think they all have $1 baggies you can sample and they are really wonderful to work with you on figuring that out.  If you tell them what brand and shade you wear they can come pretty close to what you would need in their line.
Good luck

Offline Jesuslovinmomma

• Learning
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2007, 06:05:43 PM »
I love mineral make up. About a year ago i went on a hunt. At first a friend told me about BM, I tried my mom's, didn't like the feeling, not to mention the price. I tried Larinim (?), same thing, but these where more pure. Ended up getting them from everydayminerals.com..LOVE IT! Incredible prices, great service and I like the company a lot Her desire is that all women can afford safe make up, no bismuth, etc. I  highly recommend them. They will send free sample, just pay for shipping a couple bucks. I absolutly love them.  Thier prices beat anything else I saw out there. Like a custom kit full sizes of 2 foundations, 4 eye colors, concealer, finishing powder, 3 blushes, and 2 brushes for $48!!! Can't beat it!

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2007, 02:20:40 PM »
Wow!  I just checked out this new site!  Although I probably will never switch from littlestuff4u because I like it so well, I did check out the ingredient list on this site.   I would say they are comparable to a lot of the minerals sites I have checked out but~~~~~the really neat thing is the comparison they have at the bottom of the list.  They compare ingredients of a lot of the new "mineral" makeups by commercial companies like, Loreal, Neutrogena, etc.  If any of you other gals are interested to check this out it is under FAQ.   Pretty enlightening.

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2007, 05:45:44 AM »
Physician's Formula has a mineral make-up line that is talc free (Loreal has talc, etc.)  It is in the same price range as Loreal and is available at Walmart, etc.  So it also might be a less expensive option for tight budgets and sensitive skin.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.  -- Albert Einstein

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2007, 07:42:45 AM »
Physician's Formula has a mineral make-up line that is talc free (Loreal has talc, etc.)  It is in the same price range as Loreal and is available at Walmart, etc.  So it also might be a less expensive option for tight budgets and sensitive skin.
Hate to tell you this but Physician's Formula is one of the companies listed where you have to be careful of ingredients.  They say pure and matural but they aren't.   Check it here:  http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2/findings/index.php?content=companies_of_concern#begin
or here:
http://everydayminerals.com/g?t=viewDocument&incParam=ingredients

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2007, 08:12:38 AM »
Hate to tell you this but Physician's Formula is one of the companies listed where you have to be careful of ingredients.  They say pure and matural but they aren't.   Check it here:  http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2/findings/index.php?content=companies_of_concern#begin
or here:

I couldn't get your first link to come up (probably my computer) but the Physicians Formula foundation that was listed on the Everyday Minerals site is not the one they are marketing as 100% minerals.  They have just come out with a "Mineral Wear" line that is supposed to be natural.  Again, it is probably not as great as advertised, but might be better than some other cheap alternatives for those who cannot afford the "real" stuff.  I like the prices of Everyday Minerals and may try that the next time I need to buy.

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2007, 08:20:20 AM »
or here:

I couldn't get your first link to come up (probably my computer) but the Physicians Formula foundation that was listed on the Everyday Minerals site is not the one they are marketing as 100% minerals.  They have just come out with a "Mineral Wear" line that is supposed to be natural.  Again, it is probably not as great as advertised, but might be better than some other cheap alternatives for those who cannot afford the "real" stuff.  I like the prices of Everyday Minerals and may try that the next time I need to buy.
Sorry you couldn't get that first site.   I did realize the product listed wasn't the one you mentioned but it is the same company and I guess I just think they would use basically the same things.   One thing that I really like about the littlestuff4u site is that she has the cheaper sample sizes of all her products.  I know a lot of the minerals sites do that so you don't have to invest a lot of money.   littlestuff also offers $1.00 baggies if you are unsure of colors.  I know that you can get about a weeks worth of foundation out of the baggie and the eye colors last longer because you don't use as much. 
I am really not a sales rep.   ;D   I just love the minerals so much that I would like everyone to love them as much as I do.   It is so nice to find something that you are so satisfied with that you know you will never have to look for something else.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 08:22:14 AM by daisey »

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2007, 05:55:23 PM »
Thanks Daisey!  I absolutely love mineral makeup, too.  I am wondering how I ever lived without it :)  I am going to have to check out those samples!

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2007, 02:42:47 AM »
What is it exactly that is bad in regular makeup?  Talc?  Mineral oil?  Dyes/perfumes?  Anything else?
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2007, 03:51:37 AM »
What is it exactly that is bad in regular makeup?  Talc?  Mineral oil?  Dyes/perfumes?  Anything else?
Guess I would have to say, "What IS good about regular makeup?"   Yes to all that you mentioned but then they add things like Paraban, FORMALDEHYDE, PETROLEUM DISTILLATES, ( almost anything that says Porpyl is from petroleum)   Hang on~~~I think I will try copy this one article and past it in a post.   

Offline jett leann

• Adept
  • www.janettesjava.com
    • janettesjava.com
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2007, 06:25:59 PM »
I was wondering how the kabuki brush is from little stuff 4 u?  My kabuki brush from Bare Ess. sheds soooo bad, it drives me nuts to have it shed on my face when I'm trying to use it!  Or, if anyone has used another brand of kabuki brush that doesn't shed, maybe you can let me know....my sis says that any type of natural hair brush will usually shed...maybe that's why???
Jett Leann

Offline momto6

• Learning
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2007, 07:35:39 PM »
I have a kabuki brush from Lumiere ( www.lumierecosmetics.com ) that I really like.  I've had it for several months and haven't had any problem with shedding.   I really like their mineral makeup, too.

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2007, 03:10:13 AM »
I just ordered the free sample kit from Everyday Minerals.  I also ordered a small brush ($4).  I should get it in the mail today or tomorrow.  I like the fact that the sample kit contains several colors.   Although the sample kit is free you do have to pay for shipping.  For the kit, brush and shipping I paid less than $8.  Seems like a reasonable price to be able to try it out, see how I like it and make sure I pick the right colors before spending a bunch, ya know?

earthymomof2

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2007, 03:22:32 AM »
I just ordered the sampler too.  Can't wait to try it.

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2007, 08:21:08 AM »
I have a kabuki brush from Lumiere ( www.lumierecosmetics.com ) that I really like.  I've had it for several months and haven't had any problem with shedding.   I really like their mineral makeup, too.

I just ordered this one, too. My current one sheds like crazy, is a little scratchy, and the center has sunk down into the brush :(. So, this one sounds like it should be what I'm looking for. I love that there is NO SHIPPING!! I got several samples a little while back and just ordered some more because there is a new line of foundation.

I got the sample kit from Everyday Minerals the same time I got the Lumiere last time. I like them also. I just like the FREE SHIPPING on Lumiere!  ;)

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2007, 09:11:28 AM »
I got the sample kit from Everyday Minerals the same time I got the Lumiere last time. I like them also. I just like the FREE SHIPPING on Lumiere!  ;)

Which product line did you like the best and why? 
I've never tried any mineral makeup, so I didn't mind spending a little to try some out, but I would like to know more before I spend a big chuck of money.  I'm going to ask hubby for a kit for Mother's Day  ;D, so I'm interested in any feedback I can get!  Thanks!

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2007, 09:38:23 AM »
I'm liked them both. I got both kits at the same time. They both came with 3-4 different foundations colors, and they all seemed to look fine on me. My friend tried them also & said the Lumiere stayed on better and had better cover. They also have a sample kit for $3, free shipping. It's worth a try if you are at all picky.

I wanted to try a few more shades from Lumiere because they now have 3 types of mineral foundations (they only had 2 last time I ordered). So, I want to try that and make sure I have the right color.