Author Topic: Mineral Foundation  (Read 87848 times)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: Mineral Foundation
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2008, 06:08:24 PM »
I don't know if you ever found the "right" one or not, but just wanted to toss this one out there...

I use the Physicians' Formula mineral makeup sold at Target.  It's talc free and doesn't cost very much $$.  ;)   I have used this brand for a year + and I love it!  I have the mineral foundation, mineral blush & mascara.  It's like wearing nothing, but still looking your best! One of the things that surprised me the most was how long it last.  I want to say that I've had my first container of mineral stuff since summer of 2006.  I don't usually wear makeup daily, but at least twice a week ...and some weeks more depending on what's happening.  I've not had any skin problems (that were not related to being 36 wks pregnant  :P) and the makeup didn't aggravate it. Hope that helps someone!!  I know I personally don't have lots of $$$ to spend on makeup....  :o

thanks, i will look at this next weekend. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
here is some discussion of mica bella...

http://www.makeuptalk.com/forums/f128/micabella-53477.html#post1206300

thanks!  not too positive!  glad i didn't let the saleslady get me at Christmastime! 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline JoyElizabeth

• Learning
« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2008, 07:55:40 PM »
I just went to an Arbonne party the other night and they had mineral makeup (which I'd never heard of) for $34 a pop. I couldn't afford that so I started researching and ordered samples from everydayminerals.com and another one which seemed to be a little better deal: http://www.signatureminerals.com/

Is anyone else familiar with signatureminerals.com? I have actually ordered 2 sets of samples a couple days apart. Shipping was $5.25 for 6 samples! I ordered a Kabuki with the everydayminerals.com samples but they still haven't arrived.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2008, 03:42:17 PM »
hi gals, wondering if anyone has tried the new Mary Kay mineral foundation?  my sis is a consultant, and i decided to wait to buy anything til now.  theirs has come out, but i'm unable to find an ingredient list on their website.  anyone have it or know where to find it?  anyone used this makeup?  here it is:

http://www.marykay.com/whatsnew/newproducts/mineralpowderfoundation/default.aspx?ab=minpowderbb

looks good, any opinions?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 05:20:12 PM by 4myhoonie »

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2008, 07:32:13 PM »
I have tried to find the ingredient list for Mary Kay products and even emailed the company.   You have to buy something to get a ingredient list.   That in itself makes me suspicious.   Any company that doesn't readily make their ingredients available makes me wonder.  Just my opinion.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2008, 04:01:02 AM »
I have tried to find the ingredient list for Mary Kay products and even emailed the company.   You have to buy something to get a ingredient list.   That in itself makes me suspicious.   Any company that doesn't readily make their ingredients available makes me wonder.  Just my opinion.

I'm a consultant - I'll get a list I saw somewhere.  I do know the MF has talc - you have to be careful handling it or it makes you sneeze.  It has more other ingredients in it than just the minerals. :(  I like it, but I wish it didn't have the extras.

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2008, 03:50:31 PM »
My friend is a consultant and I think you can only get a complete ingredient list if you are a consultant...something about "secret recipe."  She hasn't tried the mineral foundation but I'm thinking about it.  I looked at some at Wal-Mart the other day.  It listed only minerals as the ingredients.  What are the rules on ingredient labels?  Do they have to tell you everything that is in them?

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2008, 05:14:13 AM »
What are the rules on ingredient labels?  Do they have to tell you everything that is in them?

Jammie
No.  These rules only apply to things we eat/ingest.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2008, 09:53:29 AM »
http://www.signatureminerals.com/ingredient-comparisons.html
Here is a link to compare some of the mineral makeup ingredients from different companies.    I don't think a lot of companies (especially the bigger ones) feel they need to provide that information.   Hope it helps some.

Offline JeffAngie

• Adept
    • Our Joyful Living
« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2008, 06:47:01 PM »
Want to try Mineral Makeup but don't know if it is for you?
I just came upon this link.  You can get a starter kit for FREE, you just need to pay the shipping.  I think it is $2.50.
They even have natural foundation colors.
Check it out
http://www.ktnaturals.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=102

Angie

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
« Reply #160 on: February 11, 2008, 05:03:51 AM »
I'm a MK consultant and there is no "secret recipe" the ingredients are right on the box.  Check out the link above.  If it were a "secret recipe" they wouldn't put the ingredients on the box.  I tried a mineral powder kit from Costco online and the foundation colors were not any natural skin tone I had ever seen way too much pink but MK's matched my skin perfectly.  They have a special handheld computer that they put up to many many skin types and get the majority of shades so it is a much truer match by far.  If you want the list of ingred PM me and I will type them out for you.   ;)
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no, she's awake."  Above Rubies e-newsletter

www.homesteadblogger.com/prestonacreage

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #161 on: February 11, 2008, 05:39:24 AM »
What are the rules on ingredient labels?  Do they have to tell you everything that is in them?

Jammie
No.  These rules only apply to things we eat/ingest.

And even then there are loop holes out there...
Some companies however DO have "full disclosure" Label policies.  If in doubt call the company and doublecheck what their policy is before taking for granted that the label tells the whole story. 
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2008, 09:02:11 AM »
I'm a MK consultant and there is no "secret recipe" the ingredients are right on the box.  Check out the link above.  If it were a "secret recipe" they wouldn't put the ingredients on the box.  I tried a mineral powder kit from Costco online and the foundation colors were not any natural skin tone I had ever seen way too much pink but MK's matched my skin perfectly.  They have a special handheld computer that they put up to many many skin types and get the majority of shades so it is a much truer match by far.  If you want the list of ingred PM me and I will type them out for you.   ;)

thanks so much, i already ordered it from my sis to try once and see if it agrees with my skin.  will post my results after using it. 

Offline anb

• Adept
« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2008, 10:41:25 AM »
I HIGHLY recommend Everyday Minerals (www.everydayminerals.com).  There are only four ingredients, listed on their website, and it's a lot less expensive than most mineral makeups I looked at.  I am extremely sensitive to parabens, bismuth, and talc, and will itch horribly with most makeup. Everyday Minerals hasn't made me itch at all, and that is quite a feat! They offer free samples, too, so you can get your colors right!

Offline carolina girl

• Adept
« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2008, 10:43:46 AM »
I was walking by the make-up counter at Kohl's the other day and I saw that they have mineral makeup there.  Does anyone know anything about the store brand they have at Kohl's - does anyone use it?  Do you like it?  Do you have anything to say about the ingredients?  What should I watch out for?

Thanks so much!

Offline carolina girl

• Adept
« Reply #165 on: February 11, 2008, 05:34:59 PM »
Bump

Offline JeffAngie

• Adept
    • Our Joyful Living
« Reply #166 on: February 11, 2008, 06:10:14 PM »
I hope I did not get anyone upset with me, that is not what I was trying to do at all.  I just thought maybe there was some intrest in trying out the Mineral stuff that is why I posted.

Angie

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2008, 04:39:27 AM »
Like Blessed Mama said, there is no reason you can't get the ingredient list to Mary Kay products - they are always printed right on the labels.  I really like their mineral makeup so far!  Here is the ingredient list (if anyone cares! ;D):

Here are the Mary Kay Mineral Makeup Ingredients:
Talc , Zea Mays (Corn) Starch , Zinc Stearate , Dimethicone , Boron Nitride , Zeolite , Methylparaben , Sorbic Acid , Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer , Propylparaben , Tetrasodium EDTA , Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate , BHT , Iron Oxides , Mica

One thing, this makeup is milled very fine, so don't shake up the container with the makeup right before you open it - it will float out and make you sneeze!  Because it is so fine, you can easily control how little or how much coverage you want.  Just my 2 cents...

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2008, 06:44:52 AM »
I hope I did not get anyone upset with me, that is not what I was trying to do at all.  I just thought maybe there was some intrest in trying out the Mineral stuff that is why I posted.

Angie
I don't think you upset anyone.    ;)   
I looked at the site you had the link to, although they did not list ingredients they did list what their minerals do NOT contain.  That included Bismuth, parabens, and talcs etc.   
Personally I try to stay clear of all parabens and anything that has propyl anything in it.   
There have been a lot of good minerals recommended on this link so if you do your homework you should be able to find one that works for you.   
In this diverse world there will always be those of us who want the purest we can get and others that find ingredients not as important as ease of use or availability.    Seems to be pretty much personal preference.
No matter what you decide~~always check to see if you can order samples so you don't get stuck with a lot of something you can't use.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2008, 08:49:10 AM »
Like Blessed Mama said, there is no reason you can't get the ingredient list to Mary Kay products - they are always printed right on the labels.  I really like their mineral makeup so far!  Here is the ingredient list (if anyone cares! ;D):

Talc , Zea Mays (Corn) Starch , Zinc Stearate , Dimethicone , Boron Nitride , Zeolite , Methylparaben , Sorbic Acid , Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer , Propylparaben , Tetrasodium EDTA , Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate , BHT , Iron Oxides , Mica

One thing, this makeup is milled very fine, so don't shake up the container with the makeup right before you open it - it will float out and make you sneeze!  Because it is so fine, you can easily control how little or how much coverage you want.  Just my 2 cents...

yikes!  wishing i would have waited to order it. now i have to use it all.  oh, well. i was so hoping to just buy it from my sis.  i like to support her MK ordering.  one less thing to buy online.

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2008, 10:09:38 AM »
yikes!  wishing i would have waited to order it. now i have to use it all.  oh, well. i was so hoping to just buy it from my sis.  i like to support her MK ordering.  one less thing to buy online.
Well, as long as you officially paid for it, you can return it to your consultant (sister) for 100% of your money back.  Also, it doesn't cost her any loss either - she just turns that in online, and gets replacement product of equal value for free.  I'm sure she'll be glad to take it back if you think you don't like it.  You might as well try it once!  MK is great about returns - 100% satisfaction guarantee for any reason.  Have fun with whatever you decide to use!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2008, 10:24:52 AM »
Well, as long as you officially paid for it, you can return it to your consultant (sister) for 100% of your money back.  Also, it doesn't cost her any loss either - she just turns that in online, and gets replacement product of equal value for free.  I'm sure she'll be glad to take it back if you think you don't like it.  You might as well try it once!  MK is great about returns - 100% satisfaction guarantee for any reason.  Have fun with whatever you decide to use!

hey Thanks!  i will give it a try and if i don't break out just use it all.  i have not tried to return things, but that's nice to know.

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2008, 10:30:19 AM »
I find that especially with family or friends, no one wants to "put me out" by returning something.  I often have to reassure people that it's not a big deal to me because the company made it easy for me to stand behind and return the product.  Let's face it, Mary Kay's not the cheapest thing around, but the quality and no-hassle return policy makes the products you do like worth the investment.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I'm selling!  Besides, I better get back on topic or I'll be in trouble! ;D

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #173 on: February 12, 2008, 04:59:50 PM »

You should be able to return the products if you aren't satisfied.   There is really not reason to keep such expensive stuff if you aren't satisfied.   Like others said your sister should still get  credit.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 05:02:45 PM by daisey »

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2008, 06:34:52 AM »
I think Mary Kay is the only place that is sooo good to let you give back the make up if you don't like it.  This is why I tried them initially.  I had sensitive skin with lots of eczema and they let me try lots of samples until I found what worked for me.  I've been happy with their makeup.  Also, I found it to be cheaper than the clinique I was using before(although I don't know if it still is...that was a few years ago).  Just my thoughts...it's worth trying out, especially if you have a consultant nearby.

I did try the free mineral sampler.  I'm not sure if I like it enough to switch...I may try the Mary Kay to compare.  I do think there is some skill to applying the mineral makeup.  I did LOVE that it felt like I wasn't even wearing makeup.  I just didn't find that I had as much coverage as with a liquid foundation...again, I'm thinking it is because I haven't figured out the best way to put it on. 

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline JesusIsKing

• Learning
« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2008, 10:28:54 AM »
Has anyone tried the Sheer Cover minerals.  The infomercial makes this product look wonderful.  Also, I noticed people mention the minerals cake in the lines of their face.  I saw another infromercial on an airbrush cosmetics.  I suppose that product is very unnatural.  I was wondering if anyone has tried either of these products.
She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness ~ Proverbs 31:26

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2008, 02:01:16 PM »
their autoship program is very expensive.  you can find better deals, talked about in this thread, that are great quality.  i was unimpressed.  theirs is ok, but too expensive.  JMO.

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #177 on: March 30, 2008, 04:49:01 PM »
If you have trouble with mineral makeup settling in fine wrinkles etc. try dusting your face with Sericite Powder before putting on your foundation.

Offline anb

• Adept
« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2008, 05:42:38 PM »
If you have trouble with mineral makeup settling in fine wrinkles etc. try dusting your face with Sericite Powder before putting on your foundation.

Where do you get this?

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2008, 05:38:46 AM »

Where do you get this?

You can get it from littlestuff4u.com       I'm not sure if she has it listed but if you ask her she will tell you how to order it.    Or.............I have quite a large container of it, I would be willing to sell you some for a small amount.   PM me if you are interested.