Author Topic: Mineral Foundation  (Read 85165 times)

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
Mineral Foundation
« on: June 12, 2006, 10:59:05 AM »
I have a husband that likes me all made up (I agree with him...I've always liked a little color.) My skin looks better all evened out but I am so frustrated by regular foundations...right now I use cream-to-powder but I know there has got to be something better. I'm intrigued by the mineral foundations I see on tv and I wonder if any of you have any experience. I like the idea of it being all natural and good for your skin, plus the other benefits of how good it looks. I am a bit turned off by the price and I wonder how long it lasts and if its worth it to spend $30 instead of the $8 I usually spend. We are trying to cut down on spending!

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
Re: Mineral Foundation
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 11:32:13 AM »
I love this stuff!  I use "Bare Minerals."  This is the *only* makeup that my husband likes me wearing.  It's so natural, and blends in so perfectly you can't even tell that you are wearing makeup...You just notice that you look really GOOD!!  ;D

I too was worried about the cost of it but my MIL uses it and graciously let me try it.  Hubby liked it so much he said "Get that stuff!"  :D 

I didn't buy their sample packs, but bought what I thought I needed from Sephora.com.  I've been using it for three months and can't tell that I've made a dent in the little jars of powder they send.  It take so very little to make such a big difference.  I think that my initial purchase of the basic foundation powder, the blush or "warmth" and the mineral veil will last me a couple of years.  The "warmth" will probably last me five or more years just because  such a tiny little bitty bit of it is needed.
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 11:44:22 AM »
I've never used mineral foundations because my mom is a Mary Kay consultant, so I just use that. (For the record, MK is very good, I don't mean to say they aren't) but I'm going to look this Bare Minerals line up! It's sounds awesome from what you said. 

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 12:03:39 PM »
Hehehe, Yeah.  I was a Mary Kay Consultant when I got married.  Hubby doesn't like MK.   ::)

Wasn't "natural" enough.  If he can see by looking really closely makeup on my skin it's not "natural."   :D

I will say though that for the Bare Minerals to be effective you kind of have to have the whole set.  If you just buy the foundation it will look tacky with out the mineral veil.  So, the initial purchase price is HUGE because it's pretty much switching to a whole new makeup line as far as foundation/blush go.  All the components work together really well, but I've notice that I can't get away with skipping one or it just doesn't look right.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 12:08:33 PM by StephTallent »
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Dewbear

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 12:16:08 PM »
My sister just got this entire set for Mother's Day, & she loves it!  She likes more eye makeup than she gets out of wearing theirs, so she still wears her Mary Kay slate eyeliner, but everything else is Bare Minerals.  She did tell me, also, that a very little amount goes a long, long way.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 03:04:57 PM »
Well I am in my element here.    ;)   I have been using Mineral makeup for  over a year now.  Before I didn't wear much makeup at all because I didn't like that ucky stuff on my face.  I started with the BE kit and love the brushes but hated the product because it made my skin itchy.  Found out later that it has a mineral called Bismuth Oxichloride in it that is known to cause itchiness.  I found a wonderful site that sells sample minerals for just $4 and there is no Bismuth in it.  That is the only thing I use now.  Check out www.littlestuff4u.com  It is so reasonable that you can buy the foundation and a few colors for way less than BE.  The foundation and face color come in a little larger jar so they are a little more expensive, I think $6 but the eye colors are smaller and cheaper.  I think the real key to mineral makeup is the brush you use.  You need a good brush to get good coverage.    Hope you girls will check this out.  It makes me happy to be somewhat of an artist,  I can't even draw a straight line but this way I can use color and blend them and make myself look a little nicer at the same time.  One other advantage of minerals is that they have natural SPF so you don't need greasy old sunscreen.   :D
JNC
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 03:10:18 PM »
Wow...sounds fantastic! I am definitly going to check this out! I'm so excited about changing my makeup  :)

Offline jessyru

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 04:59:43 PM »
Thanks Daisey!

I tried BE foundation and mineral veil but didn't like it. I have very oily skin and I thought it made it worse.

I checked out the message board on www.littlestuff4u.com and found that Sandra's mineral are more matte so I will have to try them out. It's great that you can get samples too in case it doesn't work out.

:)
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
~1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 04:25:19 PM »
How well does this stuff cover blemishes? My hubby hates the made up look and I wouldn't wear anything at all if I didn't have acne. =(
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline blessedwife

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 07:03:48 PM »
I must say that I have found mineral makeup to be the way to go for me!  For the past year I've been dealing with the sudden onset of rosacea/acne.  This has been quite frustrating for me-- someone who never really had a blemish in her life. So I just stopped wearing makeup all together.  I use a really good line of skin care (MyChelle dermaceuticals) which has helped the problem, but not cured it.

For the past month I have been using Larenim mineral makeup--just the foundation, and my skin looks beautiful!!  I read that certain minerals in the makeup are actually anti-inflammatory, and this helps cover (and calm) those areas with the rosacea/acne.  I would DEFINITELY recommend mineral makeup for someone with acne or other inflammatory skin conditions.  The Larenim is rather pricey ($24 for the jar) but a little does go a long way.  I'm sure there are plenty of comparable lines that are much cheaper.  I just happened to start using it because it is available through a local health food store, and I like to avoid mail order if I can.

The great thing about the mineral makeup is that you don't get that pancakey look.  It doesn't even look like you're wearing makeup-- you're just left with beautiful skin.  It's wonderful!!

Offline jbbabyslings

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 07:52:01 PM »
I use Burts Bees Tinted Moisturizer. I LOVE it.

Marie
WWW.JellyBeansBabySlings.com Handmade with Care

Now selling Supermom Vitamins & other Beeyoutiful Products. FREE SHIPPING

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 02:12:05 AM »
Just a heads up, if you use AVON, they are coming out with a mineral foundation in the next month or so, and it will retail for $10.00. 
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 07:47:21 AM »
I found a wonderful site that sells sample minerals for just $4 and there is no Bismuth in it.  That is the only thing I use now.  Check out www.littlestuff4u.com

I looked up this website and found that Sandra's also doesn't contain any parabens, as nearly ALL skin care products do (including BE). I ordered some samples that I think will last me a while. I really like it! I still need to get the brushes, it would work much better.

Has anyone else tried Sandra's Minerals?

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 08:28:19 AM »
If I wanted to order some of this off of the internet, how would I know what shades to get and the order of application?  Since it all has to be used to get the "look"  :D is there a place that tells how to do this?

Katie
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline jessyru

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 10:07:37 AM »
Has anyone else tried Sandra's Minerals?

I've tried Sandra's and love them! The pricing seems very good and the shipping is very fast! Each time I ordered I received a sample product for free!!
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
~1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 02:27:28 PM »
If I wanted to order some of this off of the internet, how would I know what shades to get and the order of application?  Since it all has to be used to get the "look"  :D is there a place that tells how to do this?

Katie

The website has a description of all of the items, including what skin types & tones they are suited for. I ordered samples to try first. I got the concealer base (not colored), a mineral foundation (to mix with concealer base and to use as the first "layer" of foundation), and the pearl dust finishing powder.

They also have a regular finishing powder that's best with drier skin & can be used alone if desired. I haven't gotten any eyeshadows or cheek colors yet, but those can go over your finishing powder layer.

As far as the color of foundation to pick: The description of the color was very helpful. I looked at several to be sure I was picking what I thought described my skintone. It actually ended up matching my skin perfectly. She sent me a little sample of another color for free, too. I think it was a lighter shade.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I plan on getting the brushes, too. I think they are really supposed to make the difference. If you have any questions about the makeup, you can always ask them at the Contact Us link. Sandra replied to my question within one day!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 02:35:57 PM »
Thanks so much,  Mommyoftwins!  I plan to check it out.

:) :)

Katie

"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline abcathome

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 06:59:09 AM »
So that itchy feeling I get when wearing BM is from one of the minerals in it?  How weird.  Didn't know that. 

My BM has lasted me over 2 months...but I don't wear it every day.  Just when I'm going out to an appt or to church services.  (I sweat alot so it gets cakey when I apply it with a damp face!~)

I would'nt mind trying one of these others...I wonder??? Could I use the brushes that came in my Bare Mineral kit?  Would it hurt?

Offline bethj

• Learning
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 07:26:59 AM »
I love Bare Minerals. I have been using it for about a year and a half. I've only had to buy new mineral veil one time. I've used about 2 small containers of the foundation. The large container I have now will probably last 9 months to a year (for me). I've never had to replace the concealer powder ( which works very well for me) or the blush, eye shadow stuff. The blush, and eye shadows still look like they've never been used- but I also don't use these every day. It only takes a little for each application. I love it and would recommend it to anyone!!! I have normal skin, though... so I don't know about how well it would work with other skin types. It does very well with covering up blemishes, though ;)

Offline anynomouse

• Adept
  • my babies
    • Daisy Blue Naturals consultant web page
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 08:51:36 AM »
Neutrogena has one too, it is at wallmart...but I am allergic to something in them or to the brush that it shakes down into I itch like crazy :o
I have been using Bare Minerals and like it, but I saw that someone said they have parabens in them.......

Just a heads up, if you use AVON, they are coming out with a mineral foundation in the next month or so, and it will retail for $10.00. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2006, 09:37:50 AM »
So that itchy feeling I get when wearing BM is from one of the minerals in it?  How weird.  Didn't know that. 

My BM has lasted me over 2 months...but I don't wear it every day.
Taken out of context, this caught me off guard.   :o
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 06:18:50 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2006, 09:53:33 AM »

My BM has lasted me over 2 months...but I don't wear it every day.
Taken out of context, this caught me off guard.   :o
I laughed so hard that I actually snorted!!!  How funny!  I'm still laughing. :D :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 06:18:36 PM by healthybratt »

Offline bethj

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2006, 12:22:18 PM »
What are parabens? Are they what causes the itchiness? ???

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 05:57:23 PM »
What are parabens? Are they what causes the itchiness? ???

In Portuguese they are "congratulations!"  I don't think they cause itchiness  ;D
It is WAY past my bedtime  ;)
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 05:43:41 AM »
Hi all
I'm so happy that some of you have tried the Sandra's Minerals.   :)    I love them so much I just wanted to share them with everybody.     Anyway, as for getting correct color~~~just write and ask Sandra for help.  She is really a very helpful.  She will ask about what you currently wear, what skin tone you have and suggest some colors for you.   Baggie samples are only $1 so that is a good way to try foundation.    I now have so much fun with my makeup because I know it looks as natural as I want it to but it evens out all the imperfections.     :D    One thing though is that you really need good brushes to get a nice coverage.   That is the only area I don't skimp on.   
Lookin' good girls.

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 08:37:56 AM »

The stuff that makes you itch is called Bismuth Oxychloride. Here is a thread from Littlestuff4u forum that explains this: http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/sandrah65/vpost?id=1439304

I would'nt mind trying one of these others...I wonder??? Could I use the brushes that came in my Bare Mineral kit?  Would it hurt?

Yes, you can use BE brushes with any mineral makeup. The above website sells brushes and makeup from several different labels, and you can use a combination of whatever you like best.

One thing though is that you really need good brushes to get a nice coverage. That is the only area I don't skimp on.
Lookin' good girls.

I agree. I got samples & only used a regular brush at firsts. I couldn't tell if I liked the minerals until I went ahead & got the Kabuki brush (suggested by my best friend). This definitely made a difference.

I have referred a friend who has referred several of her friends to Littlestuff4U (Sandra's Minerals in particular) & they all love this stuff!

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 04:43:23 PM »
I have been wearing mineral makeup for several years now and would never go back to the regular stuff. I started with BE but got disillusioned with them because they aren't totally natural and are kinda pricey.

I've tried a number of different brands and one of my favorite ones is everydayminerals.com  I ordered a brush set from them that is fabulous. I also like their foundation. They will send you a free sample kit if you pay a couple of bucks of postage. I heard they have a new site that is difficult to navigate but if you wait a week or so they'll probably work the kinks out.

Another line that is getting raves is lumierecosmetics.com  They are having a huge sale. I've cut and pasted prices below.

Well, shucks, it didn't let me cut and paste but you can go to the website and check the colors and then email kande2975@gmail.com with your order. I have heard good reveiws of the customer service and foundation.

Sale prices are $1 for 10 grams, and then not sure about the 20 grams but the 30 gram jars are $5. I believe that BE's foundation was a 20 gram jar, so this is way cheaper. I'm going to order next week and I'll post after I get my stuff. The sale is on till after Christmas. You can't order sale prices through the site. The owner posted the sale on delphi's mineral makeup mania forum.

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2006, 10:11:15 AM »
I guess I did not realize that there were so many mineral users on this site.   Glad some of you have tried the Sandra minerals.   The itchyness in the BE minerals is caused by Bismuth.   It is a derivitive of lead I believe (I have forgotten what I read about it but it did not sound healthy at all.)    You can certainly use the BE brushes but be sure and wash them first.   It is a good idea to wash your brushes about once a month at the very least.    Sandra has some new stuff for anybody that is interested.   
Hope you are all enjoying this Christmas season.   
God Bless
Daisey

Offline Mamato6

• Mama to a bunch
  • Adept
    • Modest Mama and Me
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2006, 03:06:36 PM »
Wow this was a great read.  There are also sites out there that teach you how to make your own mineral make up.  Has any one tried it.  I am not one to leap out into something like that without someone holding my hand.

Offline Gods_child

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2006, 07:29:57 AM »
Wow this is interesting! I too like many of you use Bare Minerals and have been for the past year or so and just love it! I haven't tried anything better so far. I was a MaryKay consultant before also but their products irritated my skin so badly I had to quit!  :-[ The only thing about BE that I don't like is that itchyness it gives me when I sweat and now that I'm pregnant, boy do I sweat! lol. I'm gonna have to give that Sandra's mineral makeup a try, I've never heard of it before! I just love this website, thank God for whoever came up with it! Best of wishes to all of u ladies and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!