Author Topic: Osteoporosis  (Read 6451 times)

Offline jaemom

• Adept
Osteoporosis
« on: June 10, 2006, 11:12:27 AM »
My mom is shrinking.  :o  She wasn't very tall to begin with, so this is a problem.  ;D  She takes meds for high blood pressure.  The Dr. just put her on a water pill because of water retention and gave her a steroid inhaler for an asthmatic like breathing problem/cough she's had for at least a year.  He also gave her a calcium with vit D pill.  Would Bone Ami help her?  I'm trying to persuade her to try the Water Cure for her HBP and I think the water pill is a very bad idea considering from what I've read she's probably dehydrated anyway.  She also goes #1 several times at night, which causes her to lose sleep.  Anything else she could do to help her chronic cough, HBP, and shrinking problem?
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline running free

• Learning
Re: Osteoporosis
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 02:47:31 PM »
Hi!
Here's what my family has done:
Since we're Chinese, we use a lot of traditional herbs for soups.  2 years ago, my dad got extremely high blood pressure that caused him to get ringing in his ears  :(.  The herbalist recommended powdered hawthorn, which my mom used to make an "iced" green tea with.  I think you can also buy it in capsule or tincture form.  The active ingredient in it is a flavonoid called vitexin.  Another really effective thing for my dad was a soup with lots and lots of celery (we used the whole plant).  I've read that magnesium relaxes the smooth muscles in the blood vessels, causing them to open up a bit to ease the pressure.    Potassium helps reduce blood pressure too - we had so many bananas around. + don't forget garlic. 

I don't know much about osteoporosis but I think Bone Ami would have all the important minerals for healthy bones.  Herbs: horsetail and oatsraw contain silica, which helps the body absorb calcium.  Also, alfalfa, barley grass, black cohosh, boneset, dandelion, parsley, rose hips, and yucca help build stronger bones.

For coughs in our house: lots of ginger/sage tea with lemon and honey.  We also make a yummy almond milk that is soothing (we blend blanched almonds with water and strain the mixture with a cheesecloth. then we boil the liquid with milk and add honey to taste)

Check out these links too:
http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/41/65.cfm
http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/41/89.cfm

All the best to your mother  :)

But the beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair - Relient K

Offline ceb

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 07:03:24 AM »
Please help me.  A couple of years ago I fell and shattered the bones in my foot.  I just found out that I have osteoporosis!!  I am only 36 years old!  The doctor perscribed Fosamax, but I wasn't too pleased with the results I was led to believe I would get from taking it.  I don't want to be crippled.  I prayed that God would lead me to a better alternative.  Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, I want to start taking supplements and I am not sure which is best.  I heard a lot about Juice Plus or maybe SuperMom- Any ideas?bump.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 02:51:29 PM by ceb »

Offline jammy

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 01:16:21 PM »
The first thing I would do is start on some Cod Liver Oil.  It's really not bad as you might think.  Not fishy at all.  Infact, mine is more like a corn oil taste with a nutty aftertaste.   See this link for more info:  http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/codliveroil.html

I think it would be wise to do some strength training excerises with regularity as well.  Here is some info on how this helps:  http://www.flexcity.com/bodysculpting/osteoporosis.asp

There are some books that look very informative for low prices at diff. places like here: 

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/subject/Osteoporosis

Hope someone else may have some more detailed info!
Jenn :D

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 03:57:10 PM »
Cod Liver Oil is high in Vitamin D as well as Vitamin A though.  Too much Vitamin D can contribute to osteoporosis instead of helping it.  So maybe check what your Vitamin D levels are first?
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline ceb

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 04:55:05 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions!  I am looking up cod liver oil, and I went on that Body Sculpting website and already ordered a video.  Thank you again for taking the time.  An d I never even thought that too much vit D can actually harm your bones.

ceb
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 04:57:57 PM by ceb »

Offline PreachersWife

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 02:33:22 PM »
Anyone else have any suggestions regarding osteoporosis?  My grandmother has recently been diagnosed with this.  I will see if she will have her vitamin D level checked, as she works outside often, and the dr. has had her on calcium with vitamin D for several years.  I am also looking into Bone Ami and foods that promote bone health.  But, really, I just don't know where to start with this subject, or how possible it will be to stop the effects, or even reverse them to a degree.  Thanks in advance!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 02:48:18 PM »
Treat for yeast/fungus. Yeast & fungus puts out acidic wastes that the body must neutralize. It pulls minerals from the bones to do so. Besides, frequently fungus messes up the hormone levels which leads to bone loss also. I'm not saying the everyone w/osteoporosis has high yeast/fungus but it is a possibility. Doug Kaufmann's Fungus Link books have info about this. There are 3 Fungus Link books & unfortunately, I don't know which one talks about it. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 03:11:11 PM »
Anyone else have any suggestions regarding osteoporosis? 

There is a 70+ year old woman who reversed her osteoperosis and increased her bone density doing T-Tapp.  Maybe it would work for her, too.
http://www.t-tapp.com/success/berei/default.asp

Offline PreachersWife

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 03:37:41 AM »
Thanks hm & hiO!

My grandmother doesn't complain about most of the symptoms of yeast (well, she doesn't complain about anything!), but I am certain that she has some level of overgrowth as almost everyone does, I've heard.  Even if she doesn't have a large overgrowth, it wouldn't hurt to take the YA & TTU would it?  I'll try to get these for her.

Also, I've looked at the T-Tapp stuff, and it's pretty interesting...even asked them what program would be best for my gm!  I am excited about the possibility of helping her maintain her active lifestyle.

Another question...anyone know whether there would be a problem with her taking Bone Ami along with the YA & TTU, or even if this is the proper supplement for her?

Offline Aura

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 03:41:46 AM »
A while back, several ladies I know got together for a 'health forum' where we shared some ideas about eating more healthly. I don't know where she got her info, but one the ladies gave us the following info.

Calcium Robbers:
  • lack of exercise
  • too much protein results in too much phosphorus
  • soft drinks are high in phosphorus depleting the body
  • caffeine
  • drugs, antibiotics, and smoking
  • excessive sugar

It stands to reason, IMO, that if you reverse these things (like getting enough exercise vs. not exercising), then that would help your body to maximize the calcium it does get. Hope that helps.

Aura

Offline PreachersWife

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 06:13:48 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for the information!  My gm's greatest problem at this time is the constant pain in her back and chest.  Anyone know anything that would help this??  Thanks in advance!

Offline PreachersWife

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 05:51:44 AM »
bump  :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 06:47:00 AM »
Calcium Robbers:
  • lack of exercise
  • too much protein results in too much phosphorus
  • soft drinks are high in phosphorus depleting the body
  • caffeine
  • drugs, antibiotics, and smoking
  • excessive sugar
add to this list, lack of magnesium, lack of vitamin's A, D, E and too many trans fats (1 is too many in my opinion), and lack of omega 3 fats which are needed to properly digest calcium, mag, A, D, & E.

Omega 3s (Cod Liver Oil, Flax Oil, Grass Fed Animals, Dairy & Eggs, etc.) not only help with the absorption, but they also turn off the 'inflammatory response'  (reduce inflammation/pain).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 07:08:19 AM »
I'd like to add one more to the list: Strontium. Although not well-publicized, strontium is famous for strengthening bones, preventing and even reversing osteoporosis.

Here is one article (lengthy) by Dr. Wright, Tacoma Clinic:
http://www.tahoma-clinic.com/strontium.shtml#art

"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141