Author Topic: Everyday Herbal Tea for the Whole Family  (Read 20756 times)

Offline SarahK

• Master
Re: Everyday Herbal Tea for the Whole Family
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 06:55:58 AM »
Just piping in to say I totally agree.  We have reduced our pop consumption by over 75%.
There are several suggestions on this thread, but I haven't seen one that jumps out at me as 'we should try this'!  Here's the dilemma: my husband is a chronic soda drinker, but WANTS to get off of them.  He will not go to water and HATES the mama's brew even when sweetened up quite a bit.  The other factor is it has to be CHEAP.  The rooibos looked interesting until I saw the price.  Doesn't look like an everyday cold tea, at least price-wise.  We love grape or cran-grape juice (even diluted a little), but because of price that has to go too.  Any other suggestions out there?  I wish we could just used good old fashioned iced tea... but, well, we know that really isn't all that great for us  :(

Make kombucha.  Once I got this started, I managed to cut hubby's consumption of pop down to weekends only or when he buys one on the way to work.  He used to drink at least a case a week (sometimes more) by himself.  I didn't have to force it.  He likes the fizz in the kombucha and it seems to keep him happy to do without the pop most days.

Kombucha: Recipes & General Instructions
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 04:23:42 AM »
The Rooibos tea is expensive to buy in boxes of teabags.  We drink this all the time, it is our favorite iced tea.  We buy it in bulk, by the pound.  I am able to buy it from Frontier Herb Coop, but google rooibos tea and you will find several other sources.  It is grown in South Africa, so some of the sources are African.  Really good stuff and is good for you. 

Ok, I took your advice and did a better search!!!  And I found it MUCH cheaper!! I am so excited to try it! 

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 04:28:40 AM »
Has anyone been able to get Rooibos tea from their health food store?  I can't decide if I should buy it online, or check with my hfs the next time I make my a venture that way. 

Also, is there a quality difference out there on the tea?  Amazon has tons of it.  Even the bulk had different brands... what do I buy???

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 03:53:53 PM »
Does anyone have any teas that have maybe a berry taste to them, similar to the raspberry tea that you can buy?  I have some rooibos tea, dr. cinnimon, billberry tea blend, regular old lipton tea, and peppermint and spearmint tea, and probably some others.  I would like to be able to make up some tea that everyone will drink cold.  But I noticed the teas you can buy like lipton, or snapple, usually have MSG in them, or other bad stuff.  I even noticed that some flavored tea bags have natural flavors in them??  Does that mean MSG or some form of that is in there?  For ex. I have some berry zinger tea bags, but noticed it had natural flavors on there.  So, I'm hesistant to make that.  I wondering if added fruit juice or something to the tea would help?

Thanks,
wendy

Offline Shelley

• Learning
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2010, 07:08:50 AM »
I have heard of the roobios tea from bulk herb store but I assume you have to use the one with caffeine to make kombucha?  Is that correct does anyone know?  I ordered the one without caffeine.  any thoughts?  Would this work?  SHelley

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2010, 04:35:44 AM »
okay....so what am I doing wrong when I make my roobios tea?....I think it tastes awful.
For our family and guests I make (in a gallon jar):
   Red Raspberry Leaf - a big handfuland
   Red clover - a half handfull
   3 Celestial Seasonings tea bags (berry, raspberry, peach)
I use only half the amount of hot water and add ice to the rest of the jar to cool. When warm I add a "glub" of honey and then after cooled I add 2 teaspoons stevia powder and the juice of 2 lemons. 
This is wonderfully, delucious tea. But I guess I just assumed the celestial seasonings did not have anything bad. I guess I may have to look into this.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2010, 07:05:02 AM »
okay....so what am I doing wrong when I make my roobios tea?....I think it tastes awful.

How are you making it? 

It is our favorite iced or hot tea.   I'm in it for the tremendous health benefits.    ;)

It is a woody herb, so it needs to be brewed by decoction; meaning that the herb it put into boiling water, heat reduced, and simmer for 20 minutes before straining. 

It can be sweetened with whatever sweetener you prefer.  You can add milk or juice to it.   Or, you can drink it strong over ice, which is my preferred beverage.

If you are not used to drinking herbal teas, it may take time to adjust.   
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 11:03:47 AM »
I am definately used to drinking herbal teas...there just seems to be something about the roobios tea...BUT I have not brewed it like I do my other bark teas....I will try that. Maybe i need to make it mor elike a chai tea with some spice and milk. That may work. Thanks for the encouragment. I know it is good for me.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 12:29:03 PM »
I am definately used to drinking herbal teas...there just seems to be something about the roobios tea...BUT I have not brewed it like I do my other bark teas....I will try that. Maybe i need to make it mor elike a chai tea with some spice and milk. That may work. Thanks for the encouragment. I know it is good for me.

I have always tasted a familiar sort of 'something' taste in rooibos, but I don't find it unpleasant.  It always reminds me of good olives or maybe artichokes.   :D  I know, weird! 

We bought some pomegranate-blueberry juice that we found we really love mixed in with rooibos.   Might have to try peach nectar, too!   I like the idea of making like a chai with spice and milk.   One way that I love it iced is brewed with chocolate mint leaves thrown in after the heat is off. 

It is a very versatile tea.  I hope you find some way that you enjoy it. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13