Author Topic: Impetigo: Diagnosis, Causes & Cures  (Read 87283 times)

Offline MQM

• Adept
Re: Impetigo: Diagnosis, Causes & Cures
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2009, 09:03:45 AM »
After almost 6 wks of subdued impetigo--always 1-2 sores that don't blister/erupt--I finally went to the dr. to see if I was missing something. (Wanted to confirm staph & contagiousness since sores aren't pus-filled, and discuss compromised immune system aspect, etc.)

When ARNP first looked at dd, she said, "There's no rash here." I expected this response and was relieved that I had brought pics of dd in early stages from when I first began treatment. Anyway, after divulging to her that raw honey/herbs was my M.O., and expecting a prompt lecture, I was astonished to be commended by her. She told me I was "doing great" and that I was "a good mom". "If all my patient's mom's were like you, I wouldn't have a job." (I was literally in tears with praise to God. Children's pcp is at this clinic, but we rarely go and didn't know this nurse prac. was there. Will definitely continue to use her!)  Among other things and not in this order, she said to me, "We've created MRSA by overusing antibiotics. If your body can fight off illnesses w/o than you'll be much stronger. We've used raw honey for wound treatments, and studies have proven raw honey to be effective for colds."

She thinks that because she has fought it off so long w/so few sores instead of rampantly spreading means she probably has a very strong immune system.??? So, bottom line, she thinks it's just impetigo/staph, not MRSA, but did swab for culture to be sure, and we'll find out results by Wednesday.  She also prescribed mupirocin (generic bactroban) and instructed me to swab nose with it. However, my pharmacist neighbor told me it is specific for MRSA, and that I can quit using it if it's confirmed to NOT be. So I probably will not use it. If she HAS had MRSA this long (6 weeks), which I seriously doubt, given how well it has cleared up and no one else has gotten it, I don't think 3 days w/o treatment will matter. I know MRSA is dangerous/highly contagious. I've seen pics and I'm pretty certain it's not. Dr. is just following protocol. She also said that I don't need to keep her home. Just wash hands, sanitize everything, and avoid individuals w/weak immune system or who just had surgery--open wounds--or newborns, etc.

We also discussed the fact that staph colonizes in the nasal passages, and I have been kicking myself for not swabbing dd's nose for the duration. Moms, be sure to swab nose as part of topical treatments. I did for awhile when she had actual sores in nose, but dd gets so irritable about it that I finally slacked off and forgot about it. She also mentioned that bathing infected person with small amount of clorox in water has been effective in ridding home of staph. So I'm hoping that with continual treatment and now w/regular nose swabbing, we might just kick this!

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2009, 04:10:13 PM »
You might try colloidal silver in a nebulizer to keep from irritating her with swabbing.  My CS is supposed to kill MRSA (talked about it on the homemade CS thread).  The vapors should get in there farther than you could with a swab.  Just a thought... :)

Offline MQM

• Adept
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2009, 09:23:57 AM »
You might try colloidal silver in a nebulizer to keep from irritating her with swabbing.

Actually, we have be using CS for about a week and 1/2 now, just to change things up. But I hadn't thought of a nebulizer. That's a good idea. Maybe I'll see if I can get my hands on one. It doesn't hurt, it's just uncomfortable. She's always been funny about her nose. Until this year, making her blow her nose was always an ordeal that ended with her crying.

Offline MommabyHisgrace

• Adept
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2009, 03:50:10 PM »
MQM--glad to hear how well things went at the doctor's office!  Praise God!  I don't know if I mentioned it earlier, but here goes....We ended up swabbing noses for the first week of each month 2 x a day for six months.  The whole family!  Reason being that somebody in the family could have it colonized in their nose and have no symptoms and yet be passing it back to the one having the skin issues.  I have also done the GSE nasal spray for those who can handle it.  It burns a little, but it really gets back into the nasal passages.  Oh, and also changed pillow cases after the week of swabbing so as not to just pick it back up again.

Offline MQM

• Adept
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2009, 04:09:05 PM »
Thanks, Mbhgrace. What did you swab with, gse?

Well, bad news. Dr. called today and culture showed MRSA. I'm a little surprised, but I am amazed at how well it has cleared up even though we've been dealing with MRSA all this time and didn't know it. And although I'm disappointed that it's MRSA and not just impetigo staph, I am so thankful that right now, she only has one small sore just barely inside her nose.

So... I guess I'll be moving my saga ;) over to the MRSA thread. And to update... I am adding allicin/garlic tablets and Vitamin C internally, and I'll use gse internally again in moderation. Still using silver topically/swabbing and alternating w/gse.

Dr. also said that if we get anymore lesions, I need to bring her in to get a round of oral antibiotics. I REALLY don't want to do that. Not sure I'm going to report anything further to the dr. now that I know what we're dealing with. Do you think I'm doing the right thing by holding off on the mupirocin/bactroban? From what I've been reading, it seems like this only stalls it temporarily then it comes back with a vengeance.

I did start to use it tonight because dh mentioned that we probably should so we could just be done with this. When he saw me getting ready to apply it, however, he said, "You don't have to do that. You've done a lot more research on it than I have."

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »
Either one of these 2 methods would probably work better than swabbing the inside of the nose & would help clear the sinuses as well. IMO, it's likely that often times the sinuses are infected as well & could be the reason for reinfection. For either of these methods you could use silver in water, GSE in water or something else that's antibacterial just as long as it wouldn't burn or damage the sinuses.

The idea is to snuff salt water up the nose to clean out the sinuses & reduce any possible swelling. The Eustachian tubes are connected to the back of the sinuses-that's where the fluid she is feeling is. If the sinuses are clogged w/goop or swollen the Eustachian tubes can't drain. Try mixing 1/4 teas sea w/1 cup warm water. Pour some into the palm of the hand, plug one nostril & snuff the salt water up the other nostril into the sinuses. Repeat. When you work your way through the gook in the sinuses the salt water ends up in the back of your throat & you spit it out. Repeat on each side several times. She will gag & it is not a pleasant treatment but it works to clear the sinuses. Maybe this will help, I hope it does.

HB-I agree that a nose spray bottle is more pleasant & it's great for reg. use but the idea of this is to wash the sinuses w/a large volume of salt water to completely clean them out. I suppose that a spray bottle could be used for this instead of sniffing from the palm but it would have to be refilled so many times to get the volume that it may not be worth the trouble.

Okay, this method is not for the faint of heart -- but for those of you who suffer with the effects of clogged sinuses and inflamed tissues, (in other words the desperate ones) it won't sound too outlandish.

Use the salt water -- I would use distilled water. You can warm it and add some garlic tea to it. Put a little bit of coconut or olive oil (1/4 tsp maybe) in the mix to soothe the passages. If you want, a drop or two of eucalyptus essential oil, peppermint, or whatever stuff makes your sinuses open BUT only a drop or two to a 1/2 or 1 cup of water.

Then, take the phone off of the hook, get dad to watch the kids and go to the bedroom.

On a small table next to the bed where you can reach it easily place your cup of  warm water, an eye dropper and a LOT of tissues.

Lay down on the bed on your BACK. Move your head to the edge of the bed so that your head is no longer supported by the mattress. Your chin should be pointing up towards the ceiling and the top of your head should be towards the floor.

Breathe through your MOUTH. While you are doing this, use the eye dropper and fill your sinus passage with the water. You may even use one of those medicine syringes for kids to do this.

This will feel like you've got very full sinuses. Don't snort. DON'T SIT UP or tilt your head. Keep it hanging off the bed. You won't drown. Just keep breathing through your mouth and just hang there for as long as you can.

When you're ready, get the tissues (paper towels), cover your mouth and nose and turn over to your belly. Cough and blow all that gunk out of there. It will probably loosen up that inner ear as well.

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2012, 10:59:30 AM »
Ok, I've read through his whole thing and I'm trying to put everything together. I think our immune systems are at an all time low-we've been hit with and caught everything! We've been sick off and on for the past 3 or 4 months and now I think my 2 yr old son and I are fighting impetigo. He has little blister bumps on his body-mainly arms and chin, but they're not clusters just individual pimple looking things. He also has a rash across the top of his bottom. He has had a break out before and someone on here told me it sounded like impetigo. I have always battled cold sores, but after dealing with some extremely severe breakouts under my eye, across my jaw, and under my lip, I'm thinking it might be impetigo instead. These are big clusters of blister looking sores. It looks just like a cold sore breakout to me but bigger and more severe. Does this sound like Impetigo? We've never been to a Dr for it so  haven't been diagnosed. My other question is, other than treating it when it comes up, is there a way to get rid of this permanently through a cleanse or something? I'm sorry if this has already been answered but I couldn't find it on here. Thank you!

Offline MQM

• Adept
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2012, 07:06:10 PM »
Hi ColoradoDove. I'm certainly no expert on the topic, but I did fight a long hard battle with my daughter's MRSA which we originally thought was just impetigo. (Same original bacteria, btw--staph.) And since no one else has taken a stab at this yet...

Sounds like it could be impetigo. When they burst do they grow larger and become dark red and scab over? Have you done an internet search for impetigo photos to compare?

Treatment: I just did a quick search and came across another forum where there are a lot of good ideas and many of them I used.  Here's a link to it if you want to read the entire thread: http://www.nspforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=502

"...for external application: Golden Seal Salve, Black Walnut Extract, Healing AC Cream, Tea Tree Oil. Avoid eating dairy, wheat or meats until resolved. It is highly contagious. Also build the immune system and do NOT cover with bandages." I heartily agree about the immune system. The body needs to be strong enough to fight off the bacteria. Not sure about avoiding meats, but from other areas of research I'm doing, I would try to avoid dairy (with the exception of Greek yogurt or kefir), starches (ESPECIALLY sugar) and ALL grains/beans--wheat, soy, rice, oats, corn--temporarily, as they are hard to break down and you don't want to increase the body's workload right now while you're trying to strengthen the immune system.

Also on that thread, others mentioned dandelion/echinacea, which we used internally in the form of teas. I think they helped. Dandelion helps the liver, which deals with toxins. And an excellent topical treatment, I think mentioned there, is Colloidal silver. We had great success with that but it became expensive. We initially used tea tree oil, which was somewhat effective but it burned my daughter's sensitive skin to have it strong enough to kill. It may work on impetigo better than MRSA. Anyway, hope that helps. I said a quick prayer for you and hope you have success fighting it soon.

Oh, and one other thing... Vitamin D and Cod Liver Oil for the immune system.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2012, 06:56:00 AM »
There are 6 pages of posts specific to MRSA  over here..... http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,4695
MQM... would you care to post there about your experience with healing MRSA?

Offline MQM

• Adept
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2012, 08:00:33 AM »
I already did as we were dealing with it several years ago. It's all there from September 2009. Because it is the same bacteria as impetigo (staph, just not as strong), I initially treated it as impetigo.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2012, 05:01:54 AM »
Hi ColoradoDove. I'm certainly no expert on the topic, but I did fight a long hard battle with my daughter's MRSA which we originally thought was just impetigo. (Same original bacteria, btw--staph.) And since no one else has taken a stab at this yet...

For future reference - there is a MRSA homeopathic nosode that I have used several times with people that have been carriers of MRSA (no active infection) and also had MRSA.  Every time just one dose of a 200C has eliminated the MRSA.  While other stuff works as well (herbal), the homeopathic route is soooooo much easier and cheaper! 
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2012, 05:35:06 AM »
Mykidsmom...would you share more info on that and where to purchase it.  I did a quick search and found it not available for shipping over the net from one source.  That would be a great thing to have around!  Also, just a quick bit of info on things homeopathic...When the bottle is about half empty, you can top it off with distilled water and shake to distribute the 'frequency' of the original formula.  You now have a full bottle of the same stuff.  I've done it with lots of things on the advice of someone else and, although I  have no real way of testing to see if it works, we've done it without issue. 

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2012, 09:42:08 AM »
Thank you for all the responses! I do need to look up some pictures to compare, thank you for the reminder. I do not want to be in denial about anything, but I am having a hard time believing this is MRSA. It just doesn't seem that severe...the breakout under my eye was a while back and it never scabbed over, just was little pus-filled blisters that would pop and refill. It was very painful and took a long time to heal. I think I put TTO on it and it eventually went away. This last breakout was a couple weeks ago and started across my jawline, but wasn't severe at all. Most of the blisters went away, the rest scabbed over but they didn't get any bigger. I did a Bentonite clay mask on it since I was at my moms and that was all I had and wasn't thinking, I thought it might be acne. But then as soon as I got home I think it had spread to under my lip and was REALLY severe. Tons of little blisters that I kept swabbing with TTO, it eventually just turned into one big scab. After trying TTO and a mixture of coconut oil, garlic, black walnut, and GSE (along with taking super strong probiotics, vitamins, drinking dandelion tea, going off sugar) for about two weeks, the only thing that cleared it up within two days was triple antibiotic ointment and covering it with a bandaid overnight. So I'm curious as to why that cleared it up and not the other stuff especially when everything I've read about it says not to do those two things? ???
My son's bumps just seem to go away on their own, but I was giving him kefir and both my kids take CLO everyday and we've been taking walks and getting a lot of sunshine lately, so maybe that's why it was so mild? Plus his bumps were extremely small and there weren't very many at all.
My husband and daughter don't seem to be affected by this at all (and I have not been good about trying to not spread it. That just seems impossible to me..) but my husband gets strep easily and for long periods of time every winter, could there be a link there?
I know we need to do some cleansing, but that's going to have to wait til next year when I'm done nursing baby #3, which is due in three weeks.  And I've been working on our diets, but we do eat pretty healthy.
I am also interested in the homeopathic treatment...
Maybe with the next breakout we should just go get it cultured as I'm frustrated with always guessing what we're dealing with  :-\

Offline MQM

• Adept
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2012, 07:06:43 PM »
I'm sorry if I caused any confusion. I hope it didn't sound as though I was suggesting that your case might be MRSA. I was just noting that even though ours wasn't impetigo as we had originally thought, the same treatments can apply,  because they are both from Staph bacteria, only MRSA is more resistant to the treatments.

Maybe I was too eager to reply to your original plea. I just remember what it was like wondering what to do to treat my daughter and waiting for answers, and I thought I might jump in to help you. Looks like I muddied the waters a bit instead. Sorry. I hope I have cleared things up now. ???

Another thing if you should have another breakout... staph bacteria colonizes in the nasal passages, so we were instructed by the doctor to swab [the topical ointment] in the nasal passages.

As far as contagiousness... again my experience is with MRSA, which again, like impetigo, is a staph bacteria... my daughter, who was 6 at the time had it for 8 weeks and nobody else in our family ever got it. Though most people (if not all?) carry staph bacteria on their bodies (no time to cite references but a quick internet search would tell you), some people are more susceptible to it than others, i.e. compromised/overloaded immune system, or people with yeast overgrowth, and it has to enter an open wound.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2012, 03:29:12 AM »
Mykidsmom...would you share more info on that and where to purchase it.  I did a quick search and found it not available for shipping over the net from one source.  That would be a great thing to have around!  Also, just a quick bit of info on things homeopathic...When the bottle is about half empty, you can top it off with distilled water and shake to distribute the 'frequency' of the original formula.  You now have a full bottle of the same stuff.  I've done it with lots of things on the advice of someone else and, although I  have no real way of testing to see if it works, we've done it without issue.

The MRSA remedy can only be purchased by non-practicing homeopaths out of the country.  I got mine from Remedia.   www.remedia-homeopathy.com.  Practitioners in the states can get it from sources in the USA. 

A nosode remedy should not be given unless one knows they are dealing with the actual disease.  So I would not give a MRSA remedy unless I knew someone was a carrier or actually had it.  But in those cases, it is fantastic.  On the Remedia website you have to spell out the entire name for it to pop up or go through a long list by alphabet to find it. 

The method you listed for increasing the potency does work.  However, there is almost never any need to do it for dry doses.  Typically you only succuss liquid remedies to increase the potency.  Dry potencies last so long most people will not make new remedy by adding blank pellets and water to a bottle to increase its potency.   The cost of new dry remedy would be the same as the lactose pellets needed to make the remedy on so most people will just buy new remedy first (if it's a dry dose remedy).

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2012, 06:16:51 AM »
That just shows my ignorance in homeopathy since I had no idea that nosode meant a dry dose.  I'll do more research into acquiring some.  Thanks!

Offline MQM

• Adept
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2012, 09:16:42 AM »

For future reference - there is a MRSA homeopathic nosode that I have used several times with people that have been carriers of MRSA (no active infection) and also had MRSA.  Every time just one dose of a 200C has eliminated the MRSA.  While other stuff works as well (herbal), the homeopathic route is soooooo much easier and cheaper!

mykidsmom, can you be sure to post this info to the MRSA thread also, if you haven't already? Thank you!

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »
I'm sorry if I caused any confusion. I hope it didn't sound as though I was suggesting that your case might be MRSA. I was just noting that even though ours wasn't impetigo as we had originally thought, the same treatments can apply,  because they are both from Staph bacteria, only MRSA is more resistant to the treatments.

Maybe I was too eager to reply to your original plea. I just remember what it was like wondering what to do to treat my daughter and waiting for answers, and I thought I might jump in to help you. Looks like I muddied the waters a bit instead. Sorry. I hope I have cleared things up now. ???

Another thing if you should have another breakout... staph bacteria colonizes in the nasal passages, so we were instructed by the doctor to swab [the topical ointment] in the nasal passages.

As far as contagiousness... again my experience is with MRSA, which again, like impetigo, is a staph bacteria... my daughter, who was 6 at the time had it for 8 weeks and nobody else in our family ever got it. Though most people (if not all?) carry staph bacteria on their bodies (no time to cite references but a quick internet search would tell you), some people are more susceptible to it than others, i.e. compromised/overloaded immune system, or people with yeast overgrowth, and it has to enter an open wound.
Oh no, I'm glad you said something. Thank you for the info you gave- I will try to remember the nasal passage thing next time too  :)

Offline Aggie

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2013, 03:38:08 AM »
The treatment of impetigo symptoms and signs depends on the secerity of the condition. I've heard that antibiotics are used in severe cases, but when a friend of mine has had a similar problem, her doctor recommended her to  soak the affected skin area with a solution of 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and 16 ounces of water for 15-20 minutes. Impetigo leared within a week.  ;)