Author Topic: Yogurt Maker Question  (Read 4403 times)

Offline screasy

• Adept
  • Trying my best....
Yogurt Maker Question
« on: November 01, 2006, 10:44:53 AM »
I just bought DW a yogurt maker, one of 8 small cup kinds...

We also bought some of the starter from Amazon.com to start up a batch with, and it turned out really nasty (bitter) tasting.  She tried to add some stuff (vanilla, fruit etc) to try and make it taste better, but it got all watery. 

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
Re: Yogurt Maker Question
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 01:47:03 PM »
I have a yogurt maker with the little cups - Eurocuisine brand I believe.  For my starter, I just bought a 6 oz. container of plain organic yogurt (stoneyfield farms is what I got).  I was very happy with the results as compared to the powdered starter.  It's a little metallic/bitter to me.  I also thicken with some powdered milk.  Good luck!

Time for dinner...  :)

Offline pdg4kids

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 05:53:57 PM »
I am wondering how you like the yogurt maker? 

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 01:18:27 PM »
Sorry it took me so long to reply!  This one got "buried"!   :)

I really love my yogurt maker - it is simple and the yogurt comes out perfectly every time.  The machine itself is really, really simple.  It just has an on/off switch and the little jars sit under this plastic dome.  The machine just holds them at a constant temperature (90* I believe).  The only drawback would be that all of the yogurt is in the 7 little baby food jar-type cups.  It works well for us, but I know at times, my husband wishes we had the capacity for more yogurt and/or in larger containers. 

You only need to get a starter the  first time you make it.  After that, you just reserve one of the jars of yogurt to use as a starter for the next batch.  I always add about 4 tsp. of powdered milk to thicken it. 

Soon after getting my yogurt maker, I realized that I wanted more than the 7 jars that it came with.  I looked into buying more jars, but they were really expensive.  I discovered that bouillon cube (Wylers brand) jars are the *perfect* size!  I asked all of my friends to save theirs for me and I washed them out really well.  I use these in addition to the ones that came with the machine so I can make another batch when we are running low, not just when we run out completely.  I even use the red-lidded bouillon jar (from beef flavor I believe) as my starter jar.  This way everyone in the house knows not to ever eat the yogurt with the red lid!   ;D

Anyway, I think it was a wonderful investment and it has served our family very well!  It's been a real blessing!   :)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 01:49:46 PM »
Soon after getting my yogurt maker, I realized that I wanted more than the 7 jars that it came with.  I looked into buying more jars, but they were really expensive.  I discovered that bouillon cube (Wylers brand) jars are the *perfect* size!  I asked all of my friends to save theirs for me and I washed them out really well.  I use these in addition to the ones that came with the machine so I can make another batch when we are running low, not just when we run out completely.  I even use the red-lidded bouillon jar (from beef flavor I believe) as my starter jar.  This way everyone in the house knows not to ever eat the yogurt with the red lid!   ;D

Some yogurt makers will hold 1 cup reg mouth canning jars. I don't remember which ones but it might be worth trying. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Jessarie

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 08:51:43 AM »
I am thrilled because someone gave me a used Salton Cosmopolitan yogurt maker with 5 little glass cups that sit in a row, but it didn't come with directions.  I am planning to use the Nourishing Traditions recipe, but I'm wondering how long I let the yogurt "cook" in the maker, and do I "cook" it with the individual lids on or off?  And does it matter how full I fill the cups?  If someone with a similar type of maker could let me know I'd be thrilled.  Thanks!

Offline GarlicMomma

• Adept
  • My dd took this one in late summer in TN.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 09:06:53 AM »
Couldn't find any directions for you, but here is the e-mail address for salton's customer service. Would that help?

salton2@saltonusa.com

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 12:48:55 PM »
I am thrilled because someone gave me a used Salton Cosmopolitan yogurt maker with 5 little glass cups that sit in a row, but it didn't come with directions.  I am planning to use the Nourishing Traditions recipe, but I'm wondering how long I let the yogurt "cook" in the maker, and do I "cook" it with the individual lids on or off?  And does it matter how full I fill the cups?  If someone with a similar type of maker could let me know I'd be thrilled.  Thanks!

I had one too.No instructions.Sooooo I just tossed it and Kept the cups. :-\

Em