Author Topic: Frustrated w/ breastfeeding: HELP!!  (Read 20889 times)

Offline kentuckymommy

• KentuckyMommy
  • Adept
    • The Path Less Traveled
Re: Frustrated w/ breastfeeding: HELP!!
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2007, 02:00:57 AM »
The biggest thing no matter what is to make sure your baby is latching on with a wide open mouth, getting as much of your areola as possible. When he latches on check his bottom lip and it should be sticking out like pouting. The coconut oil, or lansinoh both help, as does air drying.

I delt with horrible pain nursing for 6 weeks post-partum. I really stayed diligent with my last baby and she did great, sure I had pain the first week and a half that made me dig into the seat a bit, but after the first few days it was manageble. With the boys...it was the full six weeks before I didn't yelp and cry everytime they latched on. My second little guy actually split the end of my nipple in half! I know how hard it can be and trust me...it is worth the effort to MAKE the baby latch on correctly. Do you have anyone around that can observe and give you pointers? I didn't have anyone so it took me 3 babies to get the newborn part down right!

I wish you the best of luck and will pray for you today!
Ashley, sweetheart to Jesse and mamabear to five little babes...Emily Grace (10), Jeremiah David (8.5), Joshua Caleb (6), Bethany Joy (3.5), and Jonathan Paul (14 months)!

Dear hubby scared Miah when we was 18 months and Miah told Daddy," You carin' me dad, you care!" Very cute!

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2007, 03:41:15 AM »
Please help!!!  My son is almost 2 weeks old.  I am sore and my nipples are bright pink. 

Warm weather has arrived for some folks, but those in the north still have cold days.  I found that nursing was painful when I was cold, chilled to the bone.  Our house was rather cold at night, so I would have a thick blanket by my nursing chair to cover both me and the baby.  If I had been outside, and gotten really cold, I would have to take a hot shower to warm up enough to nurse without pain.  The cold climate caused my muscles and everything else to tense-up and I just couldn't relax properly to nurse.  Does any of that make sense?

Only veteran moms believe me when I say that it will hurt for the first few weeks of nursing.  The literature says that it doesn't hurt, but I've met very few that had the perfect technique and perfect baby from day one.  Honestly, I can't even think of one off the top of my head.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline mtnmamaof4

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2007, 04:35:35 AM »
Please help!!!  My son is almost 2 weeks old.  I am sore and my nipples are bright pink.  I've had to work hard to get him to latch on properly, but I make sure he does every time.  I got some Gentian Violet today because I think I may have thrush, even though he's not showing any symptoms.  I have been giving him TTU regularly for a week, so that might be why he's not got symptoms.  My nipples itch and it is extremely painful for the first two minutes he's nursing.  After he's nursed for a few minutes the pain mostly goes away, but sometimes it hurts the whole time I'm nursing. 

My third child had this problem also and it turned out to be thrush.  Use the gentian violet, don't wear a bra (I know, messy but the air will help) and if you can sit in the sun- where no one will see you!- that helps too.  THrush is very resilient.  Cut down your sugar intake as much as possible.  Eat yogurt/kefir.  You will need to be militant to destroy it.  It took two episodes with the thrush to totally get rid of it for us, but it is definitely worth it!  The gentian violet is very messy.  Wear things you don't mind stained.  My son had a purple circle under his nose to his chin for a week!  Be sure to take a picture- it will be cute for the baby book!
Help this helps!

~mtnmamaof4 (total nursing years- 8 and counting!)

For cuts or 'bite marks' lanolin is great.  Also, after nursing, I would place a hot (used) black teabag on my nipples.  The tannic acid sucks out the infection, I think.  ANd the heat was very soothing.  Make sure the tea bag is as hot as you can stand it.  And leave the bra off as much as you can.  Air does wonders!

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2007, 06:02:43 AM »
Thank you for all your replies.  This is my 4th baby and I am so hoping to finally be successful with the nursing.  My first I quit after two weeks, my second was failing to thrive after three months, and my third was only a pound past her birth weight at 6 months.  I started supplementing with the girls (#'s 2 & 3) at 3 and 6 months respectively because they were failing to thrive and it didn't take long for my milk to dry up because they didn't want to nurse after being fed the bottle.  I do remember being sore with them, but this has been way more painful than I remember.  I know I didn't cry every time I nursed with them, but that is the case with this one.  This is the first time I've had latching on issues and it sometimes takes 5 minutes just to get him on right!  I don't have a problem with leaking or anything, but I'm going to try "airing out" and the sun and continue to use the Lansinoh.  Should I continue the Gentian Violet as well?  The tips of my nipples are almost white, is that a sign of thrush?  I had thrush issues with my girls, but they had the symptoms and Gabe doesn't seem to have it.  I'm also going to try the tongue exercises and feeding him every 2.5 - 3 hours.  I'm not ready to give up yet!  Thank you for all the suggestions and I'll keep plugging away at it.  I did make sure he stayed awake and nursed real well for 20 minutes this morning and he's already given me an hour break!  Is 20 minutes on one side long enough?  It was all I could do to keep him awake the total 20 minutes.   :)   I did make sure he was getting the hindmilk though for the last 10 minutes at least.  My mom is here helping me, but she never breastfed hers so I'm kind of relying on WTM members and my SIL (who lives 6 hours away) for advice and encouragement.  Thank you again for the encouragement and advice.  I'll keep you posted on how it's going.  :)
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2007, 06:43:59 AM »
Here's what I did for sleepy babies.
1. don't bundle them up while nursing.  Don't let them get cold, but cool enough to not be comfy enough to sleep.  I know, sounds mean.
2. Nurse one side about 15 minutes.
3. Change the diaper.  And since our bathroom wasn't always warm, the cool babywipes helped wake him up for side two.
4. Nurse on other side until baby is full.  For me it was about 10 to 15 minutes.

After a while, when they became very well practiced at nursing I had one that could drain both sides in 15-20 minutes!

A friend of mine would nurse her newborns in just a diaper and undershirt and have a cool cloth with which to play with the baby's toes.

Is 20 minutes on one side long enough?
This might be a contributing factor to sore nipples.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2007, 09:48:59 AM »
ps110vs5 said it all very well - that's the things I have done. 

I striped my sleepiest babies as well and had the cool cloth for them, too.  I also had one that I would give a brief bath to between sides for the first 4-5 weeks.  He was just snoozy as soon as his tummy got warm with a half a sip of supper. 

But I only nursed for 10 min each side - 15 at most.  I could tell by touch that the fullness that was there before feeding time had decreased and had been eaten by baby.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2007, 10:17:43 AM »
Hey Jaemom,
Between my first and second baby, I learned that if I kept the tip of the baby's nose against my breast, it kept much of the pain from sore nipples away.  That little piece of advice has kept me sane through nursing my last five.  I am light skinned, and from what I've been told, I am supposed to have more pain when I nurse.  :-\
Anyway, there was a very big difference between nursing the first and the rest.  It still hurt some, but I wasn't gripping the chair crying with the rest.  :'(  :)
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2007, 06:03:25 PM »
Ok, I'm doing better today.   ;)  I've been "airing out" after every feeding for at least 15 minutes, then applying Lanolin.  I've also gone to nursing every 2.5 - 3 hours and that's helped.  I tried nursing each side for 10-15 minutes, but he was still really fussy and wanting to nurse after doing that.  If I do 20 minutes on one side, he doesn't fuss and is satisfied until the next feeding.  I'm thinking that he doesn't get enough hindmilk unless I nurse for at least 20 minutes on one side.  I'm not as sore either with the time of rest between feedings.  I also tried the massage exercises with his tongue, but had a hard time doing them.  I caved and gave him a pacifier a couple of times when he was real fussy for a few minutes until it was time to nurse, and found he latches on better because he opens his mouth more after he's had the pacifier.  I've only used it a few times, but it is easier to get him latched on when he's had it for some reason.  I wasn't sure I needed to air out because I'm not a leaker, but I'm pretty sure now that it has made a huge difference.  I do have one more question.  Is it normal to be this hungry while nursing???  I feel like I'm starving all the time!   :D  I did have GD when I was pg, so I got used to eating every 2-3 hours.  Maybe that has something to do with it.   :-\
Wife to J (10 yrs)

Offline AgainstTheGrain

• Adept
  • John & Me
    • My Blog: For Such A Time As This
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2007, 06:54:39 PM »
I do have one more question.  Is it normal to be this hungry while nursing???  I feel like I'm starving all the time!

jaemom - SO glad to hear things are going better for you and baby ;D!! Answered prayer. 
YEP! it is perfectly normal to be hungry while nursing  :D especially the first 4-6 weeks until your body sorta regulates itself. With my last baby 10 months ago, I had to have a snack by the bed for me to eat in the night (usually fruit) because I was so hungry.  Remember - your body is trying to do 2 heavy duty things right now - 1. it's trying to heal you from delivery which takes 6 whole weeks or more!! ;) and 2. it's producing milk to feed that little one! That takes some energy :o

Since he's approaching 3 weeks old I'll mention something as well because many mom's aren't told.   He will go through a growth spurt at about 3 weeks old, 6 weeks old, and 3 months. What that means is if he seems more hungry and needs to be fed every 2 hours for about 2-3 days it's because he's needing more and the increased suckling every 2 hours is a stimulous to your body to produce more for him. It will take your body 2-3 days (remember that's how long it took until your milk came in initially) to realize it needs to make more. After that he'll go back to his regular feeding schedule.   

So, don't be alarmed if next week he seems to need to eat more often again. It's a growth spurt and he's needing more. OH! and don't feel bad about the pacifier  :) it sounds like it's helping him and that's a good thing. OH! the last thing - if he likes to eat for 20 min on one side then only 5-10 on the second side if at all THAT'S FINE too!! :D  I've had 2 babies that have been single siders. They did NOT like to be moved once they latched on. Then they would sometimes eat on the second side and sometimes not. Sorta like sometimes they wanted dessert and sometimes not.  At least that way you definately know which side to start with at the next feeding. :o

You're doing a great job, jaemom! Hope you're getting some rest also.
Vanessa in Iowa
Mom to 5 boys and 1 baby girl ages Newborn to 12

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2007, 08:29:02 PM »
. OH! the last thing - if he likes to eat for 20 min on one side then only 5-10 on the second side if at all THAT'S FINE too!! :D  I've had 2 babies that have been single siders.

ummm i have 3 single siders and i don't know about you but i think i am permanently lopsided! ;D :D :) :-\ :-[

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2007, 08:42:12 AM »
Ok, I'm doing better today.   ;)  I've been "airing out" after every feeding for at least 15 minutes, then applying Lanolin.  I've also gone to nursing every 2.5 - 3 hours and that's helped.  I tried nursing each side for 10-15 minutes, but he was still really fussy and wanting to nurse after doing that.  If I do 20 minutes on one side, he doesn't fuss and is satisfied until the next feeding.  I'm thinking that he doesn't get enough hindmilk unless I nurse for at least 20 minutes on one side.  I'm not as sore either with the time of rest between feedings.  I also tried the massage exercises with his tongue, but had a hard time doing them.  I caved and gave him a pacifier a couple of times when he was real fussy for a few minutes until it was time to nurse, and found he latches on better because he opens his mouth more after he's had the pacifier.  I've only used it a few times, but it is easier to get him latched on when he's had it for some reason.  I wasn't sure I needed to air out because I'm not a leaker, but I'm pretty sure now that it has made a huge difference.  I do have one more question.  Is it normal to be this hungry while nursing???  I feel like I'm starving all the time!   :D  I did have GD when I was pg, so I got used to eating every 2-3 hours.  Maybe that has something to do with it.   :-\
I hope it's normal to always be hungry because I always am. ;)    I never had one nurse longer on a side that about 10 minutes, but everyone is different.   I am very small chested, maybe that's why mine drain me in no time at all.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2007, 09:52:32 AM »
Since he's approaching 3 weeks old I'll mention something as well because many mom's aren't told.   He will go through a growth spurt at about 3 weeks old, 6 weeks old, and 3 months. What that means is if he seems more hungry and needs to be fed every 2 hours for about 2-3 days it's because he's needing more and the increased suckling every 2 hours is a stimulous to your body to produce more for him. It will take your body 2-3 days (remember that's how long it took until your milk came in initially) to realize it needs to make more. After that he'll go back to his regular feeding schedule.   

So, don't be alarmed if next week he seems to need to eat more often again. It's a growth spurt and he's needing more.

What ATG said is so important!  I think this is where so many moms give up.  They aren't told about these growth spurts that require alot of nursing time to make more milk.  It's a supply and demand situation - the more often you nurse, the more milk you will make.  When my babies are first born, I usually spend the first 2 months just nursing.  And that's about all I get done!  ::)  Whenever they fuss, they get nursed.  Then usually after 2 months my supply is well-established and they get on more of a schedule - until the next growth spurt.   I'm not a mom that makes them cry it out between scheduled feedings - guess I'm too much of a softy for that.  :P  But I can usually exclusively nurse my babies for about 6-9 months before introducing solids.  I think the more info you have on nursing, the better you can do it!  Keep it up, jaemom.  Sounds like you're doing fine!

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2007, 09:59:16 AM »
The only times I never got sore when nursing was when I had started putting lanolin on my nipples 3 months before baby was born.   By then they were pliable enough and I didn't have any trouble.   It is good to leave you bra cups down in between feedings too.   That air really helps a lot.  All 5 of my babies were breastfed for at least 2 years. some made it to 3.   What a precious time not only with baby but I used to have a small Bible by my chair and would read.  Sometimes that was the only time I was able to get any scriptrue reading done.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2007, 08:00:39 AM »
Ok, we're back to the soreness again.  :'(  I've cut out all dairy in case that's what's causing him to be so fussy between feedings.  How long would it normally take to notice a difference in him?  I had a small  homemade milkshake last night.  Wish I hadn't now, but I didn't think about the dairy connection until this morning.   :(  Also, one of my nipples is actually swollen now.   :'( :'( :'(  He had white patches in his mouth so, he has thrush as well.  *SIGH*  I'm taking TTU and giving him about an 1/8 teaspoon of TTU twice a day.  I don't remember it being this hard with my other ones, but then again they didn't gain weight, so maybe this is going to be "successful" nursing for me.   :-\  He's nursing every two hours again, so I'm thinking he's starting his growth spurt.  He'll be three weeks on Tuesday.  I just keep thinking, if I can only make it to four weeks, then I'll work on making it to 6 weeks, then I'll just keep going from there.  Ha  ;)
Wife to J (10 yrs)

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2007, 05:05:12 PM »
UPDATE

We are finally doing well.  I think the thrush is gone.  I was wondering something though.  He had been nursing every three hours for the most part, waking up on his own, but yesterday and today he has been wanting to nurse almost constantly it seems.  I try to hold him off to the two hour mark, but a few times I just let him nurse after an hour to an hour and a half.  He is four weeks and 3 days now, but he was born a week early.  I have a theory that he is only just now going through his growth spurt because if he had been born at 40 weeks, he would just now be three weeks old.   :-\   Just a theory of mine, but I do know now what everyone was talking about the whole growth spurt routine.  :)
Wife to J (10 yrs)

Offline AgainstTheGrain

• Adept
  • John & Me
    • My Blog: For Such A Time As This
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2007, 05:49:54 PM »
I think your theory is right! ;)  It should only last a few days until you start making more milk for him.

Just remember  DRINK - DRINK - DRINK . . . Water that is :D ;)
Vanessa in Iowa
Mom to 5 boys and 1 baby girl ages Newborn to 12

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2007, 07:43:17 PM »
Good for you, jaemom!  Keep right on paying attention to the signals that he is giving you and you'll do fine.  Growth spurts come at different times in different children sometimes.  More nursing will only up the supply, and that's a GOOD thing.   ;D
And - - DRINK   DRINK  DRINK    *water*
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Mommy Green

• Adept
  • Mommy Green
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2007, 08:32:26 PM »
I have had a few friends that were convinced there babies were starving at the point you are at now and just quit or started a little bit of formula to get them through, which only makes them nurse less often, and your body then produces less milk (sort of defeating the purpose :-\).  As someone mentioned earlier so many women are not prepared for these growth spurts!  You are doing wonderful! :D  Nursing is demanding and most people are not educated on it, thus not very supportive to those who do.  Keep up the good work!  It is encouraging to see determined people like you! :D

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2007, 03:57:21 PM »
AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Sorry about that, you would never know that this is my fourth baby with all the questions I've been asking.   ::)  OK, here's why I'm frustrated now....  We are still doing the every 1.5 - 2 hour feeding today.  BUT, while I was feeding him a little bit ago, I heard what sounded like his tummy growling!  I don't know if it was gas or a tummy growl.  It was loud though.  Any ideas?  He is peeing a lot (like 6-8 soaked diapers a day), and pooed a lot (only 1 diaper though) two days ago.  I'm sorry if I sound crazy, but I've had two babies fail to thrive while I was breastfeeding and I'm paranoid it's going to happen again.  I just want to be sure he's getting enough.  I'm seriously fighting the urge to give him just one bottle.   :(  BTW, I have cut out dairy and gassy foods like beans and broccoli and such.  Thanks for putting up with my schizo self.   :)
Wife to J (10 yrs)

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2007, 04:23:06 PM »
From what I know...
My mom didn't breastfeed, and from everything I know of her, she has never had a day where she wasn't like a spring about to burst!  Stress is counterproductive to breastfeeding.  My sister and I have both been able to breastfeed and we have more of a laisez-faire type attitude.

Yucky diapers can happen every day or once a week.  I had one that was a once a week baby, and when he went...it turned into laundry day, if you know what I mean.  The other four were usually every day, or every other day.  My "baby" is 3 years old, so I don't remember exactly, but I think a rumbling belly was a clue that I would have messy diaper to clean up shortly...

Each baby is different, when my #5 arrived, I thought I had it all figured out.  Not so!  He sucked his tongue while nursing and it took my almost 8 weeks to train him not to do that.  I had to detach and re-attach him until we got the latch right, and that can be very painful.  I think I may be just plain stubborn, as we made it.

So take a deep breath, and drink a glass of water.

Offline Kymdenise

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2007, 04:47:50 PM »
AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Sorry about that, you would never know that this is my fourth baby with all the questions I've been asking.   ::)  OK, here's why I'm frustrated now....  We are still doing the every 1.5 - 2 hour feeding today.  BUT, while I was feeding him a little bit ago, I heard what sounded like his tummy growling!  I don't know if it was gas or a tummy growl.  It was loud though.  Any ideas?  He is peeing a lot (like 6-8 soaked diapers a day), and pooed a lot (only 1 diaper though) two days ago.  I'm sorry if I sound crazy, but I've had two babies fail to thrive while I was breastfeeding and I'm paranoid it's going to happen again.  I just want to be sure he's getting enough.  I'm seriously fighting the urge to give him just one bottle.   :(  BTW, I have cut out dairy and gassy foods like beans and broccoli and such.  Thanks for putting up with my schizo self.   :)
I have SOOOO been where you are, and all these ladies are right! Hang in there, and trust your body! I have three girls, and every baby is a new experience, and it can be scary and new every time for some of us. Its hard, but try try trrryyyy to relax. Forget feeding schedules, just try to nurse on demand.. Wet diapers are such a great sign! And there doesn't have to be a ton of poo pants, becuase baby is using up all that good stuff! And sometimes babys' digestive systems need to grow, and the rumbly business is just a belly learning to move things along. Turn on some comforting music.. listen quietly for the Spirit, (I know with other little ones this can be hard) but if dh can keep the critters at bay so you can nurse in a comfy quiet place.. And most of all remember, you are the best mama to that baby.. and although I'm NOT encouraging quitting, you are not in a contest. Don't let this steal your joy and time with your little one. Have you considered pumping? It might make you feel better to be able to measure baby's intake, although you would risk the baby forgetting how to latch on, at least baby would get your good milk! Just my .02.. I'll say a prayer for you.

Offline happyhomemaker

• happyhomemaker
  • Adept
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2007, 05:01:05 PM »
Hang in there!!!!! I know this is frustrating! Sometimes it's hard for me to get mine on a good schedule...last kid was better, not perfect. I'll say a prayer for you. Enjoy the time while he is small, and in your arms. It seems like just last week that my oldest was in my arms too (he's getting ready to be 3!)

hhm:)
Happyhomemaker :)

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2007, 08:44:11 PM »
I really appreciate all you ladies and the encouragement you give.  I honestly doubt I would have made it this far without WTM.  My mother didn't breastfeed and so my only source of help is from you guys and my SIL who has been great encouragement as well.  I feel better after listening to what you have to say, as you can tell I'm very unsure of myself.  I started drinking more water and am trying to relax when I nurse him.   :)  I want so much to be successful with this one because it's my last and with two in diapers we really can't afford formula!  Common sense tells me that when he's having that many wet diapers he's probably getting enough, but when I heard his tummy rumble I guess it panicked me.  Thank you again ladies for the encouragement. 
Wife to J (10 yrs)

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2007, 10:27:57 PM »
You are doing great.  You've pretty much made it to four weeks like you said the other day.  Now set yourself another goal to make it to.  It sounds like everything is happening just right - don't forget that - sore nipples, growth spurts, rumbly tummies, worry over wet nappies and poos are NORMAL.  Learning to relax, drinking more water than ever and enjoying your feeding time without worry are things that you are learning and soon you'll be much more confident with it all  :) 
Well done so far!
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2007, 08:48:17 PM »

AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Okay, one thing I learned from Debi Pearl about breastfeeding, which I didn't have a clue on with my child is:  There are 3 stages of your milk in one feeding.   You may already know this, but I wish I had so I'll list it in case.  The first milk that comes out is the watery sugar milk---all breastmilk is good for your baby, but you may be having such side by side feedings becasue baby is getting full of the first milk and is therefore very hungry soon after leading to more feedings.  The second milk that comes out is thicker (sorry, I'm trying to remember--you can look it up on their site), and the last milk is the super fatty filling rich milk that fills up the baby and helps him sleep more.  My big mistake with mine was not searching out this matter at all, and my son was full of the first milk and just like you we had 1.5 to 2 hours apart feedings.  My child also was cholicky (mssp) and that is another thing that can happen too.  Mrs Pearl (not quoted verbatem) says that if this is the case to try expelling some of the first milk and letting the little one get good and full on the 2nd and last milk. 
     Also, some women say they can't nurse with any noise because their child gets so distracted by noise, so they have to have complete silence.  I would advise not to fall into this trap, because the child will then be trainnig you and limiting you severely--especially with 3 other children.  If there isn't a set quiet then the baby will learn to nurse happily in a very noisy room and even sleep very well  when the vacuum is going if you never demand silence from anyone.  Be just as loud as ever and he'll be a very sound sleeper.  If not, then he will wake up at any noise and it will make things tougher for him and you.   The "don't be quiet when they sleep" advice was given to me right before I first got married--I wasn't pregnant, but that advice was so good that it stuck with me almost a year later when I did have a baby.  My child slept through anything.  I even made it a point to go in and out of the room in which he was sleeping so that he would sleep well in any circumstance--the same goes for nursing.   Hang in there.  My 17 year old sister made such a good statement the other day,"If a mother (regarding breastfeeding) says I'm going to try, she'll never make it, but has to go into it saying this is what I'm going to do" .  It will get easier resist that urge to reach for the bottle.   Don't give up!   
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2007, 03:54:33 AM »
BUT, while I was feeding him a little bit ago, I heard what sounded like his tummy growling!  I don't know if it was gas or a tummy growl.  It was loud though.  Any ideas?

That's just the sound of the milk gurgling through his tummy and digestive tract. Isn't it funny? Milk, being liquid, begins to be digested immediately after baby swallows it. I had a baby whose tummy I could hear and feel gurgle almost every time I nursed him when he was tiny (before he got too chubby to feel it)! The way I held him to nurse, incidently, I had my hand under his little side, and I'd feel it bubble on by as he filled up. Tummy rumbles have more to do with digestion than they do hunger sometimes...
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2007, 02:12:57 AM »
You are doing great.  You've pretty much made it to four weeks like you said the other day.  Now set yourself another goal to make it to.  It sounds like everything is happening just right - don't forget that - sore nipples, growth spurts, rumbly tummies, worry over wet nappies and poos are NORMAL.  Learning to relax, drinking more water than ever and enjoying your feeding time without worry are things that you are learning and soon you'll be much more confident with it all  :) 
Well done so far!

We've now made it to almost 10 weeks (on Tuesday), and I havent' given him one bottle!  I just wanted to update you all and let you know we are doing great.  I still get a little concerned, but he weighs around 11#s now, so I think we are safe.  Looks like we'll be successful this time--4th times the charm in this case!   ;)
Wife to J (10 yrs)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2007, 11:49:05 AM »
Well done so far!

We've now made it to almost 10 weeks (on Tuesday), and I havent' given him one bottle!  I just wanted to update you all and let you know we are doing great.  I still get a little concerned, but he weighs around 11#s now, so I think we are safe.  Looks like we'll be successful this time--4th times the charm in this case!   ;)

;D Sounds like it's going well. The basic guide is to double birth weight by 6 months & triple birth weight by 1 year so he so so far he has gained almost 3 lbs of the 8 he should gain by 6 months. Good for you for sticking with it until you worked the kinks out. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline seeker

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2007, 11:57:39 AM »

This is awesome, jaemom! Rejoicing with you! It's a great feeling to look back and see the hard times you've made it through, isn't it?