Author Topic: Clothing issue with daughter  (Read 8812 times)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
Re: Clothing issue with daughter
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2007, 10:38:18 AM »
There is rampant nudity in our home.  My first son was born in July and wore clothes very rarely in those first few months.  He would just sweat and get an awful heat rash.  When we sent out our family Christmas picture several friends commented, "So that's what he looks like with clothes on..." or "Who's that baby?"   :D

I do make my sons wear a pair of shorts when we're outside because we live on a major road and I don't want folks gawking. 

And don't forget, in the south naked and neked are 2 completely different things.  Naked means you ain't got no clothes on.  Neked means you ain't got no clothes on and you're up to somethin'.   ;D
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline africamissy

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2007, 03:57:56 AM »
I'm sure it would be helpful to me and others to get your almost grown up daughter's perspective on how she felt as a little girl.  I'm very interested.  I really desire to do right by my daughter but sometimes I feel like I am failing.

I think you should know that usually when we are worried about our parenting we are growing and becoming better parents.    I hope that is encouraging.   :)
Yep, and parents who think they've got it all figured out, are the ones who are going to have the biggest problems.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 05:53:03 AM by healthybratt »

Offline In Christ

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2007, 05:44:05 AM »
My daughter is 17 1/2 now and she was a LOT like this...all of her clothes had to have the tags cut off, she has always seemed to be very sensitive to everything.  AND she has always seemed to have a very LOW tolerance to pain.  She way "professionally" diagnosed with ADHD when she was in the 1st grade, but we opted NOT to use meds, and ended up homeschooling in 3rd grade.

I have never been very patient with her until the last few years.   She absolutely will not wear or buy clothes that are not comfortable to her.  No matter what the style.  She has more of an issue with bras than tags now.  She has to wear them inside out most of the time. 

Not sure if this helps, but if I can think of it ,I will see what she thinks and remembers about this.

I'm sure it would be helpful to me and others to get your almost grown up daughter's perspective on how she felt as a little girl.  I'm very interested.  I really desire to do right by my daughter but sometimes I feel like I am failing.

From my "almost grown daughter":

I think it's just phase and she will probably grow out of it, I don't think I am as picky as I used to be.  Tags don't bother me anymore, although they use to "ITCH" me...I still don't like pants on my waist, it's just not comfortable for me and they don't stay up as well.   

Ok, back to me, mom:
I don't know if that helps much, but if we think of anything else, OR better yet, if you have any specific questions to ask either of us, that might be more helpful....

I did ask her if she thought I was mean for not being sympathetic, and she said NO way and she added:

"If it were my kid I would let her pick out ONE outfit, make sure it is comfortable, and not let her change unless it got too soiled."

Again, if anyone has a specific question, just ask...

In Christ and my beautiful dd

I did want to mention that although she was diagnosed with ADHD at 6 or 7 yo, we never allowed that to be an "excuse" for her behavior...I told her that thousands of people around the world have handicaps they learn to live with and she is not allowed to let this be an excuse for bad behavior or disobedience.  BUT...prayer was number one IMO...I think I did everything wrong and failed so much, but God was faithful to help and change and even undo so much....I do still tend to tell her to "JUST DEAL!" sometimes when something "bothers" her.   ::)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2007, 06:10:06 AM »
How about detergent or fabric sensitivities?  We all have eczema in my family, and we wash in baking soda.  I've even had to take out some of my sons' cute clothes because the fabric bothered them.  There are lots of organic cottons out there.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.