Author Topic: 6 yr old dd-white coating on tongue and lack of whites in nails  (Read 4694 times)

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
For the past year, I've taken note of a white coating on my dd's tongue and I can't remember what that means, although a friend of mine who also practices natural health mentioned something to me when I asked her.

Also, just tonight, I noticed her fingernails are almost clear at the top where there should be all white....some seem to peel (I had that really bad when I was a little girl) and even look a little speckled.

Anyone know what this could mean? What could she be deficient in?  Are the two related at all?  Food sensitivity maybe?

Your suggestions are much appreciated!!  Thanks :)

p.s. for some history here.....She was breastfed until 3, although not exclusively.  I supplemented her first year with formula when I worlked for 6 months and then quit to be at home. She also was vaccinated a little bit at hospital (natural birth) and then one more round before i said "No More!" No other sicknesses I can think of...has never had anitbiotic in her system.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 06:08:30 PM by AllinHisTime »
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: 6 yr old dd-white coating on tongue and lack of whites in nails
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 04:02:48 AM »
White coating on the tongue is usually indicative of thrush, or candida in the mouth.  The weakness in the fingernails may or may not be related.  It's most likely a deficiency of some kind, but with an over abundance of candida in the body, leaky gut usually accompanies.  Malnutrition (inability to absorb vitamins & minerals from foods) due to holes in the intestines and autoimmune responses is a very common symptom of leaky gut.  Here are some links for more information.

Thrush:  Causes & Cures
Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures
Treating Children for Candida/Yeast
Candida Cleanse Without Supplements
Treating Candida/Yeast While Pregnant
Foods to Eat While Fighting Candida
Natural Antifungals
Candida Albicans vs Other Yeasts: Are All Yeasts Created Equal
Die-Off from Candida/Yeast: Causes, Effects, Risks & Reduction
Leaky Gut:  The Cause of it All?
I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut:  What Now?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 05:50:18 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 03:34:38 PM »
Also, just tonight, I noticed her fingernails are almost clear at the top where there should be all white....some seem to peel (I had that really bad when I was a little girl) and even look a little speckled.

Clear white = anemia

white spots = deficiency in zinc, pantothenic acid and calcium

red dots = possible pin worms :o

If her nails are peeling because they are to soft it is protein, calcium and vitamins she is lacking/not absorbing. (Remember that vitamins won't absorb without minerals. So, if this is the problem, upping the vitamins won't do any good if she isn't getting minerals.)

If they are peeling because they are too hard it is it is either anemia or a hormone imbalance.

Hope that helps! ;D
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 06:57:07 PM »

Clear white = anemia

white spots = deficiency in zinc, pantothenic acid and calcium

red dots = possible pin worms :o

If her nails are peeling because they are to soft it is protein, calcium and vitamins she is lacking/not absorbing. (Remember that vitamins won't absorb without minerals. So, if this is the problem, upping the vitamins won't do any good if she isn't getting minerals.)

If they are peeling because they are too hard it is it is either anemia or a hormone imbalance.

Hope that helps! ;D

Sure it does help, now only makes me have more questions!!!!  I'll think on this and get back with you.  I give all of my children a good daily multiple vitamin from SolaRay....maybe need a mineral supplement too.  She's a petite little thing.  She even gets dark circles under her eyes.  I usually give my children cod liver oil everyday too but haven't been lately...so busy w/a lot of company.  Any suggestions are welcomed :)  Anemia does run in our family (grandma and aunt for her...my mom and sister).  Is it hereditary or just lack of something? 

I'll have to do more research but like I said, any shortcuts or info you all have on what to do next would be great.  I think SuperKids would be good to order...doesn't that have minerals too?
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 02:34:30 AM »
I am not familiar with that brand. Just check and make sure it is not synthetic. You need to start giving the oil again and add those minerals. It just might be that nothing is absorbing. If I was you I would make some changes and then give it a few weeks.

If she is anemic after you do this you could try kelp or even alfalfa. Both are very high in vitamins and minerals. Kelp is higher in iron. Many people suggest cooking in cast iron...we tried it and I had bloodwork done. My iron counts were off the charts!!!! I was getting way too MUCH that way. So, needless to say I wouldn't really suggest that anymore unless it is a last resort.

Many people would disagree with me but I believe that anemia is not really hereditary. You may have a genetically weak link towards something but that doesn't mean you have to get it. I tend to think it is more like the lifestyle that is hereditary so you end up with the same problems.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 05:49:33 AM »
Many people would disagree with me but I believe that anemia is not really hereditary. You may have a genetically weak link towards something but that doesn't mean you have to get it. I tend to think it is more like the lifestyle that is hereditary so you end up with the same problems.

I agree.  ;D

Heredity and Illness
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 06:07:58 AM »
I did look again at the daily chewable I am giving my children.  How do I find out if it is synthetic or not? It DOES say that it is a vitamin/mineral supplement, so my memory failed me again LOL!!  SOLARAY is the name but Nutraceutical is the company name.  IT contains no sucrose, yeast, artificial flavors or colors. It says to take 2 a day but I have only been giving them one, thinking of all the good food I'm feeding.  Maybe I should start giving them 2?  

Also it there is a logo on there stating that the Vitamin E source is 100% natural.  Also the iodine derived is from kelp,  It has all the great vitamins in it that should be and it even has Pantothenic Acid (as d-Calcium Pantothenate), Calcium (from Oyster Shell), Iron (as ferrous fumarate), Magnesium (as manganese gluconate), Zinc 2mg as Zinc Gluconate, Potassium (as potassium citrate), bioflavinoid concentrate  (from citrus), PABA 50 mcg, Choline (as choline bitartrate) 2mcg and Inositol 2mcg.  

I am not sure what some of it means, as in all the words that end in "...ate".  At the end of the bottle under "other ingredients" it says "sorbitol, fructose, natural cherry flavoring with other natural flavors, magnesium stearate, natural food coloring, stearic acid, maltodextrin, silica and cellulose.

Sorry to give you soooooooo much info, but I figured someone could help tell me if there is anything in it that shouldn't be.  I did buy it at the HFS.  It was very reasonably priced compared to some of the other ones that I wouldn't dare give my children due to the high amounts of sugar in them.