Author Topic: Are herbal teas okay for newborns?  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Melie

• Master
Are herbal teas okay for newborns?
« on: June 06, 2007, 03:19:12 PM »
I was wondering if it is okay to give a little herbal tea to my 1 month old at night.  I made up a tea of chammomile, catnip and peppermint.  He sleeps pretty well but I just thought something like this might encourage him to really settle down at night and might help him make the transition to sleeping through the night.  I just have no idea if this is all right to do or not.  I have tinctures for my kids that are glycerin based but they are all for older kids and I don't know what the reason is.  If anyone has knowledge of this I would love some information.  Also, if it is all right to do, any information on particular herbs and dosages would be helpful.

Offline Melie

• Master
Re: Are herbal teas okay for newborns?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 06:20:41 AM »
bump

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 06:39:45 AM »
I grew up giving herbal teas like chamomile or catnip to a fussy baby.  It works quite well.  You can give tea a little warmer than typical bottle temperature for calming a tummy ache, the warmth is part of is effectiveness, or so it seems from my experience. Not TOO hot but as hot as baby will tolerate, which still is a good deal cooler than temp of tea for myself.
  As far as the warnings on bottle labels, just remember that everyone always tries to cover themselves.  Even commonly used things like tylenol always say to consult your doctor.  A good rule of thumb is to consider body weight and give it accordingly.  If the dosage for a two year old is 1 tsp. - the body weight of a 2 yr old will probably be somewhere between 25- 30 lbs.  So a baby of 12 -15 lbs  shouldn't get more than a 1/2 tsp.  HTH!

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 06:47:33 AM »
Thank you, Chop Chop.  Would you give an alcohol based tincture to a baby?  Would you boil the alcohol out first?

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 09:21:06 AM »
Thank you, Chop Chop.  Would you give an alcohol based tincture to a baby?  Would you boil the alcohol out first?

I'm not Chop, Chop, but I would put the dropper of alcohol based tincture in a cup of hot tea to get rid of the alcohol in it.  I gave my baby a couple of drops of my elderberry tincture and she instantly threw up.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 09:26:15 AM »
My next door neighbor 2 houses back was Hungarian (Romanian).  She had a hard time communicating things to me, but she had a 3 year old son and was TOTALLY a Gd-send when I had my first son.

She'd just take him from me and change whatever I was doing.  "I hold.  You go.  Just go."  At first it was weird, but she had some tea that she gave me for my son when he was an infant that was a miracle.  When he was teething or had colic it would just soothe him instantly.  It was in a box from Romania so I couldn't read it, but it was the best.

I don't think I'm really helping this thread... but I did give non-alcoholic tea to my baby.  At least I think it was non-alcoholic... :D ;D
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.