Author Topic: FINALLY a modest, beautiful bathing suit! ;)  (Read 49020 times)

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
Re: FINALLY a modest, beautiful bathing suit! ;)
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2006, 02:30:28 PM »
Grace...

I'm a hard fit..I'm short, busty and hippy...but not overly large..if that makes sense.  At any rate, I'm sure this would work for you if you are not opposed to wearing swim shorts.  I ordered board shorts and a swim shirt.  I think I got them both from girls4sports.com or something like that.  You have to hunt for shirts, but the one I got was not tight-fitting at all...and I just wear an old bra underneath as the support.

- Camille
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2006, 03:50:58 PM »
I made swimsuits for my girls, and posted one picture here in a different thread.  I also made one for myself, but will need to modify it...I added too much to the measurements, so it's baggy.  If it were just for myself, I probably would have ordered a suit, but since I have so many girls that need suits, and will keep growing and needing the next size, purchasing the pattern made the most economical sense.  Plus, we had fun choosing fabrics on eBay!

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2007, 09:45:10 AM »
I just use a bikini for support with a tank top and shorts over top and that works fine. That's what all the women do in our area - a t-shirt or tank top and shorts. Perfectly modest. Nothing underneath shows. And, my husband likes it. This past year we found a great pair of skorts that are the right material (dries quickly) that I wore all summer.

YoopreMama

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2007, 10:38:10 AM »
I like my suit purchased from www.ohanaswimwear.com. Their inventory is low right now but they say keep checking back in the next 2 weeks. You can mix and match their tops n bottoms. I have a really bad mummy tummy since having twins, and this suit helps hid that plus is modest without being an overkill! very rare find for me. ;D Hubby likes it, so I'm happy... :)
Thanks for all of the sites, Ladies!  :D

I did use this one (www.ohanaswimwear.com) to buy one (one piece w/ shorts) for dd..marked down to $20..$8.35 for shipping...not sooo bad...cute! 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 02:30:22 PM by Yooper »

Offline hsink

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2007, 11:01:18 AM »
Here is the style of suit that I got last year.  I actually got it in solid navy (couldn't find it quickly) and I love it.  I got the long torso version so that the top overlaps more than normal....no gapping when you reach up  ;D I know it was expensive but if the past is any indication it will be years before I buy a new suit.  Just putting this idea out there if any one is interested.

http://www.landsend.com/cd/ppr/0,,78025_AH.html?sid=2739194724279155030&fit=593
http://www.landsend.com/cd/ppr/0,,98177_AH.html?sid=2739194724279155030&fit=593
Holly
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 11:13:30 AM by hsink »

YoopreMama

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2007, 12:25:14 PM »
Here is the style of suit that I got last year.  I actually got it in solid navy (couldn't find it quickly) and I love it.  I got the long torso version so that the top overlaps more than normal....no gapping when you reach up  ;D I know it was expensive but if the past is any indication it will be years before I buy a new suit.  Just putting this idea out there if any one is interested.

Holly

Thanks, Holly!  I need one and this may work!  :D

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2007, 02:58:07 PM »
I went to the sites from this thread on modest suits. I did not find a modest 2 peice.

I am looking for a modest 2 peice that dont look like a 2 peice. 2 peice sets makes it so much easier to go to the potty and I need the waist of a suit bottom to hook my insulin-pump on. But it has got to be a modest 2 peice.

Does it exsist?

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2007, 04:25:35 PM »
I had a friend that (not pregnant) bought a maternity 2 piece suit (very flowy and modest, and because she was not pregnant it didn't look like a maternity suit. She had to go to a very nice maternity store to find one... but she looked absolutely adorable in it!!!
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2007, 04:55:51 PM »
Everything I've seen on here besides the one mom who made suits for her girls have still been showing the legs.  Even half of the thigh.  I can't go in public like that.  Does anyone know of any bathing suits that don't show the legs?
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2007, 05:39:27 PM »
Everything I've seen on here besides the one mom who made suits for her girls have still been showing the legs.  Even half of the thigh.  I can't go in public like that.  Does anyone know of any bathing suits that don't show the legs?
are you sure you looked at the wholesomewear.com suits.  I have one and it covers my upper leg and knee.

Nickole

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2007, 12:53:59 AM »

Holly

Thanks, Holly!  I need one and this may work!  :D

I've been looking for one of those over-skirts!!!  That's so pretty!  But the price - oh my!  Have to try ebay.  As always, ebay to the rescue.

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2007, 07:15:55 AM »

www.modest-swimwear.net

That is the only one I see that fits the bill. I hope to buy one when I'm done being pregnant. I think you can customize the length on every part if you need to.
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2007, 07:21:46 AM »

www.modest-swimwear.net

That is the only one I see that fits the bill. I hope to buy one when I'm done being pregnant. I think you can customize the length on every part if you need to.

This covers much like my wholesomewear suit, but my suit has that overlay of non-clingy material, so even when wet, your curves arent accentuated.  these are very pretty, though.

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2007, 12:30:34 PM »
Their website says they chose this fabric because it is not clingy when wet but is still lightweight.
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2007, 01:34:37 PM »
Have you considered a surfer suit?  They are roughly the equivalent of diving suits without the temperature protection.  They are tight, but I would think you could purchase a larger size if you aren't concerned with being streamlined.        ~L

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2007, 05:03:00 AM »
I just found this site, I think that I will probably order my girls and my swimming suits from here.

www.dressingforhisglory.com
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2007, 05:37:37 AM »
I just found this site, I think that I will probably order my girls and my swimming suits from here.

www.dressingforhisglory.com
these look nice, very comparable to the one I have from wholesomewear.com  But, I noticed that the top is made from Dupont Tactel.  What is this?  anyone know?  I know Dupont teflon is NO GOOD.  Is this tactel made with anything bad?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2007, 07:45:28 AM »
Personally, I would try not to buy anything with the name DuPont. ;)

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2007, 07:46:13 AM »
Personally, I would try not to buy anything with the name DuPont. ;)
Why exactly?
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2007, 08:01:06 AM »

Why exactly?

They own too much of the world! HA HA!  Wouldn't that frighten you?!  :D

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2007, 08:10:41 AM »

Why exactly?

They own too much of the world! HA HA!  Wouldn't that frighten you?!  :D

It hasn't stopped me from shopping at Wal-Mart yet!  It's the price that I pay for living out in the boonies. 

SOOOO, back to the real subject so we don't get in trouble.  Are there really any health reasons not to wear this material?  I didn't have any success googling it.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2007, 10:37:37 AM »
As you all  are checking out Lands End look at the swim skirt suit covers.  We bought one for our dd and it was worth every penny.  She wears it when we swim in public, like a municipal pool, or Water World.  It was a hassle at swim lessons, but her class was all girls so we ditched the skirt.  When we are lake swimming she just puts it on when she is running around out of the water.  I wear one of Lands End swim suits too.  It is the tank top and jog shorts look.  It is very comfortable and I have not felt imodest, the shorts dry fast too. 

Gotta take a minute to ditto this one.  I have a LE suit like that too.  Arm holes positioned right, top length good, neckline & strap width good.

This is what I get for our girls:

Rash Guard Tee

The shirts are available in lots of sizes and colors but all have high neck and suitable length to keep the belly covered.  I don't get the board shorts listed on the side.  Too short for my girls' liking.  We get the Quick-Drying Shorts listed among the "you might also like" on the bottom of the page.  They are longer & looser - but that means I want to have a little swim bottom thingy under them.  Added all together, it's $65 for a little girl if all the parts are from LE.com.  I got the swim bottoms for nearly nothing at a garage sale bought as a 2 piece.  Toss the top, keep the bottom and that saved $20 right there.  Quality and covereage was worth the extra $$ for me.  We are lake/river swimmers here, so they will last us several girls cuz we won't have cholrine in them.

And these suits look sharp.  Not dumpy or frumpy.  Kinda sporty and athletic.
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2007, 11:35:49 AM »
I got my girls each one from here...

www.swimmodest.com

They were a little spendy, but worth every penny!  My girls absolutely love them!  DH is VERY picky about what his girls wear and he approves of them.  If I wasn't expecting I'd probably have ordered one for me.  Oh well, maybe next year!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline wyomama3

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2007, 11:58:12 AM »

This is what I get for our girls:

Rash Guard Tee

I tried to get the quick drying shorts but they were not in a suit matching color. Dd picked all of this out as part of her bday gift.  Everything seemed to be back ordered at the time.  The rash guard shirt looked to hot to her, and she has been an oven since the day she was born.  We do buy a plain jane suit for running around at home and getting muddy and dirty in.  We live a ways from the public eye.  The home suit usually ends up with a worn out rear end and mud stains by summers end. The good suit goes on to a niece or neighbor.  Now my son is a different story.  I buy his suits a size smaller because they hang so low in the knee area otherwise.  It looked as if he had swim capri's on - although I would NEVER tell him that. :D  (He told me that capri was a dumb word, in otherwords it has to do with girls ;)

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2008, 08:05:28 AM »
I was just thinking it's almost time to start making suits for this summer...if I didn't have my whole house packed up in a moving truck just waiting for a move sometime!  Girls are gong swimming regularly at the YMCA with their cousins, but have outgrown the suits I made in 2006, so they're wearing regular speedo type one pieces.  :(
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 05:05:33 AM by healthybratt »

Offline eatyourveggies

• Learning
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2009, 06:22:02 PM »
A place I found for modest swim suits is Athleta. They make tank tops and shorts made from swim suit material and they're fashionable and non-frumpy. They have an online website : www.athleta.com.

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2009, 04:04:45 AM »
I have a swim suit from the 1st site linked on this thread. It does not looke modest on me because I am big chested. If anything, I think it draws attention to me. I knew there was a problem when I came downstairs in it and my dh said, "Now that's what I'm talking about." ::)

I think they can be modest for girls and smaller women. I do better with a seperate top and surf shorts.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2009, 06:06:42 AM »
just thought i'd add that we got a great swim suit for my 17 yo this summer from www.girls4sport.com  it fits great and looks stylish.  she hated everything she tried in the stores, and would have "fell out" while swimming.  here are some examples of the tops and i think she got the Tback long.  it's comfy, covers everything and stays put. 
http://shop.girls4sport.com/category_s/36.htm
she got the boy shorts bottoms.  we are really happy with it.  at the time they were running a special (around May i think, it had been in O mag.) maybe they will next spring too.
it looks modest yet she doesn't look completely "different" so people stare.  lots of cool colors and prints too!   ;D
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2009, 10:57:35 AM »
Those are cute! Lands' End has similar tops as well, and many of them are on clearance right now:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/LongSleeveColorblockRashGuardShirt~191507_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::DAZ&CM_MERCH=IDX_00006__0000000650&origin=index

http://www.landsend.com/pp/LongSleeveRashGuardShirt~191475_59.html?

http://www.landsend.com/pp/AquaTerraActiveCapSleeveRashGuard~199409_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::DGA&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000134&origin=index

If you sign up for their promotional e-mails, you will frequently get coupons for free shipping (you can unsubscribe after you place your order). This is how we get Lands' End clothes for super cheap...clearance + free shipping. And their products are good quality. They will last you for years.

kate:)
All the way my Savior leads me...

YoopreMama

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2009, 12:33:04 PM »
I ditto Kate...great deals on suits...the short sleeve tops and skirts are our favorites.  CHEAP, esp. now.  You can search for coupon codes, too.  Lots available.

We also bought a suit from www.ohanaswimwear.com, too, for dd, and were pleased.  I'd buy bigger next time, though.