Author Topic: FINALLY a modest, beautiful bathing suit! ;)  (Read 48719 times)

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
FINALLY a modest, beautiful bathing suit! ;)
« on: June 06, 2006, 07:38:19 AM »
SwimModest.com

I know I'm not the only girl who gets tired of having to wear unflattering street clothes over my swim suit just to be modest. I know I'm not the only kid who has to choose between "taking off all street clothes" to go into the water park or staying modest and missing out. And I know I'm not the only person who's searched the net to find modest swim wear only to find unflattering, old-fashioned, down right UGLY and INSENSIBLE concoctions that make you wonder if you aren't being too legalistic.

The fact is, there's no legalism in modesty. Modesty is a beautiful thing.

And finally we have found a source for modest, flattering bathingsuits.  :D

The bathingsuits run $40-$60 depending on size, so while this is rather expensive, if you've ever gone to the fabric store to buy bathingsuit material, you know why. Besides, the suits are very well made, with strong hem lines and sturdy material.

The bathingsuits we (along with our extended family) ordered were running rather small, so you might want to buy the size that's one-up from the measurement you fit on the measurement chart. The great thing is you can order more than one size, try them on, and send back the one(s) that doesn't fit.

I personally was very pleased with my bathingsuit, although I did cut the sleeves off because they were too tight.

I'm so thankful there is finally a source for modest, feminine bathingsuits.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 08:39:57 AM by ALittleMore »

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
Re: FINALLY a modest, beautiful bathing suit! ;)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 07:54:44 AM »
Thank you for this site!  It'll be a blessing to many, I'm sure!  And you, ALittleMore, are so full of information and seem to really wanting to be serving Jesus!  Praise God!
I'm smiling! :D

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 11:16:46 AM »
Thank you for this site!  It'll be a blessing to many, I'm sure!  And you, ALittleMore, are so full of information and seem to really wanting to be serving Jesus!  Praise God!

:) Thank you so much, that makes my day. And my week. *all warm inside*

Jesus gives His children joy.

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 01:50:04 PM »
I have to second that 'THANK YOU'!!  We have teenage girls and have to have something made for them to wear.  These are perfect and the price isn't that far off of dept. store prices.  We are definitely going to order!  Again thank you.
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline dleeandcc

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 04:46:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing this site. I've always woundered if there was a modest bathing suit out their. ~C~

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 03:14:11 AM »
Not to rain on anyones parade or anything BUT, I ordered 2 of these suits, I believe it was 2 years ago.  Ordered in the early spring and contacted them about them a couple months later, was told they would come soon, they didn't, contacted them again, they said July something, they didn't come, and finally I cancelled my order.  I got my money back, but no apology, no explanation, no nothing.  By then I couldn't find anything else for that summer.  They look great in the pictures, and even at that price it is well within reason of bathing suit prices, but at that time their customer service was ..... poor to say the least.  I was very disappointed because as you say, it is almost impossible to find something modest, and then to boot I am 6 feet tall, and hard to find something that might fit.  That is why I had ordered 2 suits.  Anyway, enough, just wanted to warn you that if you are depending on having this suit for some specific reason you might want to talk to someone there when you order and get some sort of guarantee.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 03:30:27 AM »
I dont' know if this will help anyone or maybe someone has already thought of it.  I am short but I am big chested so I have a hard time with that but when I was in the swimsuit department at sears they also had work out clothes.  Well, all the shirts are very high b/c they have the sports bras in them and are high and then I just bought a skort that looks like a skirt from the front and the back and so that is going to be my swim suit.  Maybe that will help someone else or spark another idea. 

Offline sweet

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 04:45:02 AM »
Ladies,
Check this site out:  http://www.wholesomewear.com/

I ordered for myself and daughter last month.  My DH & I are very pleased with the suits. 
The culotte or skirted swimmer suits are perfect for those who need more coverage on top.

A delightful lady named Joan answered all my questions, felt like I was talking to a true Titus 2 older woman.   Phone # is 503 678 1100 Pacfic time.

Offline jessyru

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 08:11:02 AM »
I am doing google searches all the time for modest clothing and swimwear. Last night I came across this. It has some really cute stuff for swimming. I think I'd wear one of those tanks and the long pair of shorts to swim in (like the picture). I think you'd have to get a cheap bikini to wear underneath for support. But I thought they were really cute! The google description reads: "No swim suits here. Just quick-dry board shorts, capris, skirts & tees"

http://www.sportif.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=479
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
~1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 08:13:46 AM »
I like my suit purchased from www.ohanaswimwear.com. Their inventory is low right now but they say keep checking back in the next 2 weeks. You can mix and match their tops n bottoms. I have a really bad mummy tummy since having twins, and this suit helps hid that plus is modest without being an overkill! very rare find for me. ;D Hubby likes it, so I'm happy... :)

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 08:41:46 AM »
I just recently bought the swim top (to go with some swim capris I already have) found at http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod//0,,1_2_65582_66117_137675_116082_5:view=594,00.html?sid=4573131220829140000&CM_CARRY=1&CM_MERCH=PAGE_66117 ...and I really like it!  I have yet to actually "swim" in it, but I wore it under the shower to see how it looked wet...and it worked well.  It was MUCH more than I have ever paid for clothing...but I figured that it would be worth it to have a modest-yet-not-ridiculous-looking swimsuit for several years!

[Note: How do you link to text so that the entire URL doesn't have to be in the post?  Usually I can figure that out with these type of things, but I haven't been able to do that with this board.  Help, please?!  Thank you!]
"...Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls." ~1 Peter 1:7f-9

Offline jessyru

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 10:12:15 AM »
I love Lands' End... I just wish they weren't so expensive!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 12:33:23 PM »
I really want to get one of these and I just might ;)

http://www.swimoutlet.com/Unitards_s/219.htm

SPEEDO has got some cool stuff.  Swim suits that look like scuba wet suits. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 12:36:27 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 03:56:40 PM »
I ordered from the swimmodest.com site and the suits were shipped to my mom's house in record time and a visiting young lady delivered them to us in BRASIL LESS THAN THREE WEEKS after we ordered them.  We are so pleased!!!  They look like swim suits, yet are totally modest and cover the areas that as young ladies, my daughters wish to cover.  I cannot tell you how beautiful my girls look!  We are very pleased with the product and will be a repeat customer.
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 04:03:21 PM »
I, too, ordered these swimsuits for my daughter and I over a month ago.  They are very adorable.  The only thing that was hard was figuring out the sizes.  They tend to run really really small.  Did you find this out, too, amazonmama?  For example, my daughter is eight and I ordered her a 10/12 size because she is very tall for her age.  Just really skinny.  Well, that size was almost too small for her.  Can you imagine an eight year old wearing a size larger than 10/12.  Then, for myself, I fit into a small category except for one area, my waist.  So, I went ahead and ordered a medium.  I probably should have ordered a LARGE!!!  They run small but are very cute.  Besides, now I have a reason to diet this summer! :)

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 07:05:26 AM »
Hey HealthyinOhio,
My girls are 5'6" and 5'7" and we ordered the Ladies small long torso and they were perfect!  I don't know why yours would run different  ???  My seven year old got a Girls small and likewise it is perfect.  I did not get one yet because of the $$$, but hope to soon.  We used her instructions to measure everyone and then went with the number closest to the measurement on the larger side, e.g. Katherine's torso was 61 1/2" so we went with the 64" size instead of the 61" size.  I don't know if this made the difference or not, but as I said in the previous post, we are VERY PLEASED and I can't wait to get mine.
Have a Great Day!
Lisa
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline a_new_creation

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 02:56:11 AM »
I have a wholesomewear suit which I wear when not pg.  I am almost 19 weeks pg and need a maternity suit as my wholesomewear suit has elastic at the waist and is too tight now.  So I am having one made at www.modest-swimwear.net.  The lady there (Crystal) can modify their pattern to be maternity -- it will have an empire waist and the leggings go over or under the belly (whichever you want).  I should have it in a few weeks so I'll let you know how it goes!  It won't be cheap but I figure this will be the last swimsuit I'll ever buy. 
Carla
Wife to Doug ('00), Mama to Noah ('02), Claire ('04), and Chloe ('06)

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 05:54:36 AM »
wow! and here i was thinking there was no such thing as a modest swimsuit.  8)  There is a indoor water park close to us that we love to go to, the first time we went i just wore shorts and a sleevless t shirt with a sport bra built in, the shorts got longer and longer and longer, finaly they were flopping around my knees :-X It was very embarresing!!! but it is really only those perfect young girls who look good in todays swimsuit, you know the ones who are just thru puberty , everything is where it ought to be, there is no mummy tummy,  ::)  Thanks all of you for all the info.

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 06:56:38 AM »
www.modest-swimwear.net

Wow, I like those. Not too baggy, not too tight, just right!
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Dairae

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 01:42:38 PM »
;D I have a swim modest suit and am very happy with it. It is comfortable and stylish. This is really the first swim suit I have ever felt comfortable with in public. It is a family business and I believe their website was down for awhile, but when I ordered I received mine very quickly.

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 04:06:43 PM »
I have been aware of swimmodest.com for a couple of years, but haven't bought anything because of the price.  I haven't had too many opportunities to swim either, or I might have gone ahead and gotten one.  This year I went to the time and expense of buying the KwikSew swimwear book and making my own maternity swimsuit.  It is just a top with short sleeves and shorts.  I am so glad to have it.  I also bought a unitard pattern for my daughter (almost 4 yrs. old).  The fabric and lining fabric was purchased at Christmas time when a JoAnn's was going out of business near us.  Since I made my swimsuit, I came across a pattern that I will probalby purchase to make a non-maternity suit in the future.  Also, www.fabric.com has swimwear fabric for cheaper than most fabric stores, and when it goes on sale you can get it for around $5 a yard.  Here's the link to the pattern for those interested in making it themselves.
http://www.biblicalwomanhoodonline.com/swimwear.htm
Too bad the girls pattern only starts at size 10.  It will be quite a while before we get need that size!

Offline chocolate2

• Learning
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 06:05:46 AM »
Yea, My sis and I finnally just got to where we are cool w/ wearing:
- a regular one piece swimsuite ( so long as it doesn't scoop down too low in the back/ and is not too low cut in the front), w/ swim shorts on top or exercise/running shorts on top.  Also, guy swim trunks are an option - they usually run longer.  A person can always get creative and wear a tank top w/ the shorts instead of a one piece swim suit.  So long as the tank top is more of an athletic one w/ a built in bra, etc.  Tankinis w/ shorts is also an option ( sometimes they are paired w/ a bikini - just  put on some shorts over that.  Well, that is my 2 cents!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 02:28:47 AM »
NO SEW SOLUTION
I found a frugal option that works well for me. I had it with one piece suits that had the very low neckline and no back. Not to mention those with skirts attached to a see-through mesh middle. The "skirt" floated up during swimming to reveal the immodest underneath. The last time I went shopping for a swim suit, I just couldn't find something that left me feeling covered and secure. So, I wandered around the clothing aisles looking for a solution and I found one.

I found a tennis skort and a matching tennis tank top that has a mesh back and lined front. They are both of stretch-type material and very breathable. I purchased mine in a small size for a slim fit. Now, I just put my regular one-piece swim suit (not a skirt style) underneath the tank top and skort. It is slimming because the shirt and skort are the same color. Also, the swimsuit underneath gives me support and keeps me from "showing through" if the water is cold. The biker short built underneath the skort gives me nice coverage. If I want to, I could purchase other colors for variety.

It was an inexpensive fix with an athletic look that isn't bulky. The funny thing is that no one realizes that it is tennis clothing. The ladies want to know where I found such a nice suit.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline annafogg1

• Adept
  • Our 'Babies', Summer and Sarah Rose
    • Anna Fogg
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 04:18:07 AM »
It was an inexpensive fix with an athletic look that isn't bulky. The funny thing is that no one realizes that it is tennis clothing. The ladies want to know where I found such a nice suit. 
~~You know, SC, necessity is the mother of invention.  You could start a small business, buying up tennis outfits, especially finding them on sale, and reselling them as swimsuits, coordinating differenting colors, etc....that's how ebay got so famous, doing creative things like that.  I swim with a racerback sports bra, and I wear it under a tank top bathing suit....the sports bra gives me support and more coverage because just the tank top alone was not enough...then I just bought regular bottoms as they sell them separate now, and then just swim shorts, which I am finding everywhere these days -- I got all my pieces at Target, in their athletic dept,(the swim shorts at Wal-mart) and then the bathing suit bottoms in the swimming dept at Target. Very affordable, I thought....at our pool, you can not wear any clothing that is not official swim suit material, as they say the fibers clog the filters, so you can't wear t-shirts unless they are a swimming shirt....if I am having a day when I am not swimming but the kids are, I have a sarong-type skirt that I wear over my bottoms....I have one that is just a length of yardage of batik fabric a friend brought me back from Thailand, and I just tore it to fit, and wrap it around and tie it....looks very fashionable!  My husband really likes the skirt and it looks like a real outfit, but I can be swimming at any moment, but then when I am cooking at the grill or sitting, the skirt gives much more coverage. 
~anna in md of Little Bird Quilts
see my quilts and family at _http://tinyurl.com/3q824
I am: The Righteousness Of Christ & the Wife of 1 Hunky Carpenter, Mom of 7, Jade-20, Zach-18, Noah-16, Nadia-13, Eliza-Jane-10, Summer-8 & Sarah Rose-7~
Folk Artist, Quilt Instructor/Designer, Taxi Driver, Reader of Great Books, Chef of Mega-Sized Meals, CottageGardener, Read-Alouder, Hair Doer

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2006, 07:32:58 PM »
Ladies,
Check this site out:  http://www.wholesomewear.com/

I ordered for myself and daughter last month.  My DH & I are very pleased with the suits. 
The culotte or skirted swimmer suits are perfect for those who need more coverage on top.

A delightful lady named Joan answered all my questions, felt like I was talking to a true Titus 2 older woman.   Phone # is 503 678 1100 Pacfic time.

I have one of these suits and I love it.  I admit, the first few times I wore it I felt like I looked weird.  But, when I realized I was honoring the Lord by being modest, I started to like wearing it.  I like these because of the outer layer of non-clingy- material.  A lot of other modest suits cover skin but show all curves, this one does not cling at all, so no body curves showing.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2006, 07:07:23 AM »
I also use a wetsuit top and swim shorts from LL Bean.  We live in a very urban area, and we try to "fit in" as much as possible, so even though they are a little pricier, I got them on clearance for $20.  Considering my last LL Bean "suit" lasted me 12 years, it isn't too expensive in the long run.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline jessyru

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2006, 06:25:08 PM »
I just found a really neat modest swimsuit. It's from an islamic clothing site.

http://www.jelbab.com/product.asp?prdID=400416

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2006, 05:42:39 AM »
Well, I like some of these swimsuits, especially the one from LL Bean, but I wear a size 1 in jeans and all of these only go down to a six. Any ideas where to find a very small suit?
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2006, 01:21:55 PM »
Well, I like some of these swimsuits, especially the one from LL Bean, but I wear a size 1 in jeans and all of these only go down to a six. Any ideas where to find a very small suit?
The girls department ???
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2006, 02:21:20 PM »
The girls department ???
I have done that with other clothing, but (1) the girls department swimsuits don't give much help in the bust(and I need help :-\ ) and (2) It is embarrassint to shop in the kids department when you have 2 young children! ::)
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!