Author Topic: Coconut Oil and Weight Loss  (Read 10059 times)

Offline NotLuckyButBlessed

• Adept
Coconut Oil and Weight Loss
« on: June 03, 2007, 07:09:14 PM »

Anyone experiencing weight loss as you are using coconut oil?

Anyone know how much you must take each day for weight loss and what else and how much you should eat?

Basically any info on losing weight with coconut oil would be helpful.
View my blog at www.ButIHadATiara.blogspot.com
(private, request an invite by messaging me:)

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Coconut Oil and Weight Loss
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 04:08:38 AM »
You may find some info here.

Eat Fat Lose Fat??
  My favorite herb book!!

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 04:42:02 AM »

I heard that the book is good, tells you to take cocout products generously, etc. but has very few recipes and does not give a very good idea of what to eat. Anyone read it? Input?

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 12:38:14 PM »

I heard that the book is good, tells you to take cocout products generously, etc. but has very few recipes and does not give a very good idea of what to eat. Anyone read it? Input?
My previous post was hotlinked to another thread.  Check that thread for a discussion on the book.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline asburyparkangel

• Learning
  • CHAMPIONING THE UNDERDOG
    • www.myspace.com/anitaferrer
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 01:27:09 PM »
   i posted a thread about weight gain from splenda. anyone here know of how to rev up my metabolism? i've been very depressed & angry that i've been off any artificial  sweetners for a year and a half.
    i expected to get back to a size four (at my wedding day). but my thighs are a 23 and waist 26, both two inches bigger...i've been brisk walking 4 times week, watching my carbs. i heard that pinapple , virgin coconut oil & cayenne hlpe to rev up.
     i'm an entertainer, so looking trim in my outfits is important. hubby bought a sauna system to sweat out the toxins that DR Sherry rogers says is the only way to sweat toxins out of the cellulite & body tissues.
   anyone here overcome cellulite?
   any formulas??? they used to make a japanese sea soap with kelp and using a runner loofah smoothed my saddle bags in a month. i don't know of anyone who makes that type of soap for cellulite any more. those expensive creams don't work. thay are a waste of money.
   some of you ladies out there must be frustrated with weight gain, saddle bags & cellulite.

HELP!!
P!!!
Anita Ferrer, AKA, the Asbury Park Angel champions the underdog with her invincible courage, empathy and girlish candor! This inspirational speaker/songwriter and artist is grateful because God gave her a second chance at life!

Offline girly

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 01:33:46 PM »

In a few weeks maybe Emily will have some new results... something along the lines of
1. melt coconut oil on the stove
2. dump dinner in it
3. let harden and serve ;D ;D ;D

aren't many great things found out by accident?! ;D ::)

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 05:20:43 PM »
You might find some help on cellulite on the skin brushing thread.  Also, the T-Tapp exercise system can really help with those last few inches.  You are VERY small already, by the way.  :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 05:14:01 AM »

In a few weeks maybe Emily will have some new results... something along the lines of
2. dump dinner in it

This would probably be very effective as noone would eat.  It might lower the metabolism; however.   :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 05:19:56 AM »

2. dump dinner in it

My husband informed my Lilley this morning that not even the stray mutt we named Ralph would touch it.   

my husband asked when I showed him if I was gonna dig the good stuff out!  NO WAY!!  :-X  The thought just turned my stomach.

If I had been thinking I would have not left it there as it is generally Lil's job to dump out the cans. Ahhh Hind sight....

Em

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 05:21:11 AM »
Depending on what "dinner" is you might be able to use it as a GOOT type treatment, a hair moisturizer, etc. if no one eats it.

When I was at the health food store this week I was talking with the lady at the nutrtion desk. We got on the subject of healthful oils so of course coconut oil came up. She mentioned that she has heard from reliable sources that too much coconut oil can cause hormonal problems. Have any of you heard this?    

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline mombetty1975

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 04:53:29 AM »
Kevin Trudeau recommends coconut oil for weight loss and he's personally taking it, as well as myself. Take one tablespoonful in the morning and one in the late afternoon. But it has to be organic, unrefined, virgin coconut oil.

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 10:04:09 AM »
I just recieved my book "The Coconut Diet" So far, I love it. It has lots of info in it. And About the recipes, theres OVER 60 PAGES of recipes. The book talks about the history of coconut oils, the health/weight benefits. It aso has a 21 day kickoff to really help you lose weight. Then it has a chapter on cleansing to help lose weight. Then it has a section on maintaining weight. I just started reading it, but it looks like a wealth of info.

So far what I got is this: you are supposed to eat 3-4 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Unrefined). They recommend you remove all other oils from your diet. You should use mainly the coconut oil and if you really need to then Extra Virgin Olive Oil and butter. But no other oils. Also, it looks like at first they recommend low carb, then after you lose weight they teach you to reintroduce healthy carbs back into your diet to maintain your weight. There are testimonies from people in the book losing LOTS of weight, and it seems to come off pretty fast. In the book they explain how coconut oil works in your body to help you lose weight, rev up your metabolism, and become healthier. I would definitly recommend this book, if not for the diet, at least for the info.

:)
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline JeffAngie

• Adept
    • Our Joyful Living
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 10:17:41 AM »
Can anyone who is taking coconut oil for weight loss PLEASE give results you have seen.  I would really like to hear some experiences.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 02:26:40 PM »
Can anyone who is taking coconut oil for weight loss PLEASE give results you have seen.  I would really like to hear some experiences.

This is totally anecdotal but it's what I've observed over this past several months.  I started taking coconut oil and apple cidar vinegar as capsules about two months ago.  The first thing I noticed is I was almost never hungry.  The second thing I noticed was I was losing weight and I hadn't changed a thing but add those two things.  Finally, I noticed the other day, I haven't had any "real" cravings since I started taking them.  The only times I've had cravings has been when I ovulate, which is normal for me.  In those cases, I've been doing the CAD method and just eating a sweet (since that's what I crave that time of month) with dinner and then I'm fine. 

I use coconut oil for cooking sometimes, but for diet, I think it's worth it.  I haven't lost a ton of weight but the first 5 pounds dropped off of me. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 03:36:37 PM »
I started using and eating coconut oil only a month ago, and apparently I have lost weight.  I don't weigh myself, but my clothes are getting to where I need a belt now, and my hubby keeps saying "you look great", and others are asking me how much I've lost.  :)  It's a funny result from adding more fat to your diet!

Granted, I am nursing a baby, and I'm healthy and have inherited a rockin' metabolism from my country Grandmama.  But I've never had baby weight just fall off like this even when nursing my other kids.  The things I've changed in the past few months are: adding coconut oil, drinking smoothies sweetened with bananas and orange juice (with coconut oil and fruit, etc.), switching to raw honey and raw milk, and I've just started drinking Kombucha.  Wow!  I've changed a bunch of stuff!  I didn't realize it until I started typing it...and I still have a list of more dietary changes I want to make as money allows.

I 'take' my coconut oil in smoothies, or as fudge ;)  I mix 1/2 c. coconut oil, 1/2 c. butter, and 1/2 c. homemade peanut butter, and then add cocoa powder and honey to taste.  It looks like watery chocoate syrup.  I make mine in a 9x9 glass dish and refridgerate it till firm, then slice it into squares.  I just eat a couple of pieces when I get a sugar craving, and it's really yummy!  (Thanks Whiterock for the recipe!) 

I think weight loss results vary based on overall health and genetics.  It depends on why your body is gaining/holding weight.  There are many reasons: too many non-healthy oils/calories, allergies, an iodine deficieny or from not eating enough or often enough.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 04:49:28 PM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 07:37:19 PM »
I also have recently started to take coconut oil somewhat regularly and trying to add it into meals. I don't have a scale so I can't tell how much or if I really am losing weight but hubby keeps mentioning that I seem to be losing weight.  Like hi_itsgwen I have also in the last 2 weeks been eating healthier, drinking K-tea (Kombucha) and others, but I have eaten healthy before and not lost any weight. (I am about 25lb overweight) So I think that is is the coconut oil. HTH some.... :)

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 04:37:03 PM »
just bumping for some more testimonies  ;D
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 09:16:57 AM »
I started using CCO when I was pregnant to get some healthier fats in my diet.  I also use it externally for dry skin.  I weighed 20lbs less a couple of days after the baby was born than I weighed when I got pregnant... of course there were a few other things going on (gestational diabeties caused me to switch to a high, high protein diet, and emotional stress were also factors)  but when I ran out of CCO a month ago I started putting weight back on.

So I just bought a 3 gallon bucket.  And I'm headed back down the scale again.   ;)

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 04:20:46 PM »
I started using CCO when I was pregnant to get some healthier fats in my diet.  I also use it externally for dry skin.  I weighed 20lbs less a couple of days after the baby was born than I weighed when I got pregnant... of course there were a few other things going on (gestational diabeties caused me to switch to a high, high protein diet, and emotional stress were also factors)  but when I ran out of CCO a month ago I started putting weight back on.

So I just bought a 3 gallon bucket.  And I'm headed back down the scale again.   ;)

What kind of co did/do you use? We have expeller pressed for most of our cooking and a small jar of virgin co to use when we're sick. 

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 03:48:30 PM »
Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin

Offline YummyChicken

• Learning
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 07:53:54 AM »
I just recieved my book "The Coconut Diet" So far, I love it. It has lots of info in it. And About the recipes, theres OVER 60 PAGES of recipes. The book talks about the history of coconut oils, the health/weight benefits. It aso has a 21 day kickoff to really help you lose weight. Then it has a chapter on cleansing to help lose weight. Then it has a section on maintaining weight. I just started reading it, but it looks like a wealth of info.

So far what I got is this: you are supposed to eat 3-4 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Unrefined). They recommend you remove all other oils from your diet. You should use mainly the coconut oil and if you really need to then Extra Virgin Olive Oil and butter. But no other oils. Also, it looks like at first they recommend low carb, then after you lose weight they teach you to reintroduce healthy carbs back into your diet to maintain your weight. There are testimonies from people in the book losing LOTS of weight, and it seems to come off pretty fast. In the book they explain how coconut oil works in your body to help you lose weight, rev up your metabolism, and become healthier. I would definitly recommend this book, if not for the diet, at least for the info.

How much weight have YOU lost since you bought this book, following the system? ;-)

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 06:35:36 PM »

How much weight have YOU lost since you bought this book, following the system? ;-)

Um.... system??  ??? me following??  ??? what are you talking about??  ???  ;D

I'm just kidding with you  ;)

Yeah.... I gained about 20 pounds  >:( but not cuz of the system. Its just typical me. I get VERY excited about something.. but that only lasts a tiny bit of time.. then I move onto something else.

But actually,  ::) after reading my own post... I was almost talked into buying the book AGAIN!!  ::) Even though I already have it!!  :o That's how blonde I am  :P

But ANYWAY... I am now REALLY considering reading the book again.. and maybe trying it  ;)