Author Topic: Vericous [Vericose] Veins: Treatment Options & Pain Relief  (Read 57529 times)

Offline SarahK

• Master
Re: Vericous [Vericose] Veins: Treatment Options & Pain Relief
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2008, 12:05:53 PM »
SweetestDay-

Can you confirm for me  - Your midwife OK'd this (product with butcher's broom) for use in pregnancy?
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline mamaincolorado

• Learning
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2008, 12:10:29 PM »
SarahK- I'm not sweetestday, but I can attest to the use of butcher's broom in pregnancy. My midwife recommended butcher's broom, grapine (Nature's Sunshine), and another product called Varicosin (with butcher's broom) to help with the varicose veins. And these herbs really did help!

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2008, 05:13:44 AM »
Yes, she OK'd it. It wasn't my midwife that recommended it, but I had mine check. I was concerned because this particular capsule has rosemary oil in it. She thought the dosage would be OK.
Why do you ask?

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2008, 06:50:39 AM »
Yes, she OK'd it.
Why do you ask?
The only thing I know about Butcher's Broom is stuff I have read and no personal experiences.

The WTM topic, Butcher's Broom: When, Where,... has some discussion and an informative link, but says something to the effect that 'the use in pregnancy has limited research & is therefore not recommended in oral form' (my words, not author').

Looks like I found another thing to research a bit more - but I do put weight in personal experience of 2 or more users.

Thanks!

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2008, 08:35:43 PM »
The back of my knees (did you know there is no actual word for that area other than 'back of knee'  ::) ) anyway ... mine have been aching for several days now and the veins are getting bigger.  They aren't popping out yet but since I'm only 14 weeks pregnant I'm guessing they will be by the end of my pregnancy if I don't do something about them.

I thought I had heard somewhere about blueberries being good for prevention or cure.  Does anyone know why or if I've got my wires crossed? 
What other foods (as opposed to supplements/extracts) can I eat to stop them getting  worse and stop them aching?
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline blessedwife

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2008, 08:13:06 PM »
Hi there--
Just wanted clarification on the Varigone.  Is it safe to take during pregnancy?  (I'm assuming it is, but...)

Thanks!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2008, 05:52:53 PM »
I have had a few vein problems, and want to try to prevent more (they run in the family).  Coincidentally, a couple of weeks ago, I was researching about making my own peanut butter, and trying to decide whether or not to leave the skins on.  I discovered an article that said that the skin of the peanut has more of the proanthocyanidin than a grape seed.  So I left the skins on :)  I figure every little bit helps!

Here are some other things that contain proanthocyanidin (from Wikipedia)
 apples, pine bark, cinnamon, grape seed, cocoa, grape skin, and red wines of Vitis vinifera. However, bilberry, cranberry, black currant, green tea, black tea, and other plants also contain these flavonoids. The berries of chokeberry, specifically black chokeberry, have the highest measured concentrations of proanthocyanidin found in any plant to date.

and look what else this stuff does:
Proanthocyanidins reduce histamine production, and are used in the treatment of allergies.
Proanthocyanidins help improve circulation by strengthening capillary walls. This is especially important for people with compromised circulatory systems, such as stroke victims, diabetics, arthritics, smokers, oral contraceptive users and people with general cardiovascular insufficiencies.
Proanthocyanidins inhibit enzymes that break down collagen. Proanthocyanidins help collagen repair. The breakdown of collagen is what causes our skin to lose its elasticity which in turn causes wrinkles. Proanthocyanidins help keep skin elastic, smooth and wrinkle-free. Proanthocyanidins are also taken as an oral cosmetic to help in the prevention of wrinkles.
Proanthocyanidins act as an internal sunscreen. Inhibiting the daily effects the Sun's rays have on our skin is our best defense against the aging of our skin.
Proanthocyanidins cross the blood-brain barrier to protect the blood vessels in the brain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proanthocyanidin
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline lovetoreadmom

• Master
  • Music in my kitchen :)
    • The Most Important Job in the World for a Married Woman
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2008, 07:44:17 AM »
BUMP!!!

Also, my caring husband got me a cream at the healthfood store that has witchhazel and vitamin K in it.  So for the most part, my veins don't really hurt; just look really ugly!  :(

Has anyone ever heard of a cream (Vitamin K or containing K) that helps to alleviate the pressure and also diminish the actual veins on the legs?  I've seen things advertised, but I don't want to be one of those who believes or buys just b/c I saw it in a magazine or whatever. 

My veins are mostly on the inside part of my calves just above my feet, but I do have some around my inner right thigh and I believe a few that are v*g*nal.  They do not hurt, per se, but there is often a great deal of pressure and they do "pulsate" at times, usually after physical activity of any kind.   8)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 09:43:48 AM by lovetoreadmom »
Wife to Ron for 8 years (on 7.13.10 :)), and Mama to DS 6yo, DD 3-1/2yo, and DS 19mo! . . . and DD#2 due in August, 2010.

Offline lovetoreadmom

• Master
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2008, 09:45:15 AM »
BUMP!!!

Also, my caring husband got me a cream at the healthfood store that has witchhazel and vitamin K in it.  So for the most part, my veins don't really hurt; just look really ugly!  :(

Has anyone ever heard of a cream (Vitamin K or containing K) that helps to alleviate the pressure and also diminish the actual veins on the legs?  I've seen things advertised, but I don't want to be one of those who believes or buys just b/c I saw it in a magazine or whatever. 

My veins are mostly on the inside part of my calves just above my feet, but I do have some around my inner right thigh and I believe a few that are v*g*nal.  They do not hurt, per se, but there is often a great deal of pressure and they do "pulsate" at times, usually after physical activity of any kind.   8)
Wife to Ron for 8 years (on 7.13.10 :)), and Mama to DS 6yo, DD 3-1/2yo, and DS 19mo! . . . and DD#2 due in August, 2010.

Offline lovetoreadmom

• Master
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2008, 02:23:06 AM »
In addition to the below question(s), I need to start using support hose that are specifically for varicose veins.  This is from the advice of my mother and my doctor.  I called the pharmacy and was told that they would be about $75-$80.   :o  Has anyone found them for any cheaper or have any other advice on the matter?

Thanks!!   :)

BUMP!!!

Offline lovetoreadmom

• Master
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2008, 05:10:22 PM »
BUMPING again!  Anybody have any thoughts or experiences here??

In addition to the below question(s), I need to start using support hose that are specifically for varicose veins.  This is from the advice of my mother and my doctor.  I called the pharmacy and was told that they would be about $75-$80.   :o  Has anyone found them for any cheaper or have any other advice on the matter?

Thanks!!   :)

BUMP!!!

Offline mamaincolorado

• Learning
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2008, 05:35:10 PM »
Lovetoreadmom-
I'm really sorry you're having to deal with varicose veins- they are no fun! Yes, the support stockings really are that expensive! They do help a lot, but I also found that taking some specific vein supplements really alleviated the pressure, aching, and itchiness. I also used a lotion called "varicose lotion" which wasn't so much to get rid of them, but to help with the topical discomfort (itching, etc.). That helped a lot too, and had butcher's broom and a few other things in it. I have heard really good things about the "Varigone" which I think is from Nature's Sunshine, but my midwife gave me a combination of Grapine (Nature's Sunshine) and Butcher's Broom. It really, really helped after I had taken it for a few days- and I was pretty skeptical that anything was going to take away the heavy, uncomfortable feeling! I would try and put my feet up too, but if you have other kids that isn't always easy. Don't wear socks or stockings that have tight elastic above the problem area on your leg- I'm sure you already know this, but that makes it a lot worse!! I hope something brings you some relief, and know that a good part of the problem resolves itself after pregnancy!

Offline lovetoreadmom

• Master
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2008, 02:07:03 AM »
Thanks, MIC, for your reply.  I'm going to look into the Varigone and see if it would be helpful for me.   :)  I'm sure it will.

LTRM   :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2008, 11:29:02 AM »
Bilberry for vericose veins, some info posted elsewhere that might be helpful.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1526.msg176295.html#msg176295

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2008, 06:47:21 AM »
I am in my 5th pregnancy and only have 11 wks to go and all the sudden I've have a few bulging (not too big though) veins pop up on the upper thigh of my right leg.  I noticed them maybe a weeks ago and they didn't bother me other than that they are not very attractive.  Yesterday right before I got out of bed I rolled over and laid on my right side, which I never do, and the pain there was excruciating.  Throughout the day the veins would ache off and on.  I read through this whole thread because I am sure that is what it must be.  About 1/2 way through the day I started applying Dr. Schultze deep Tissue Oil on my leg when it would start to ache and it seems to do a really good job of temporarily alleviating the pain.  I'm wondering about mixing some cayenne with it when I rub it in?  It is sort of like an icy-hot rub.
I also started taking grape seed extract again as that has really helped with um...other veins... :-[ I'm hoping this will be helpful again.
Does anyone know any other good ways to stop this before it spreads.  It's such a bummer because I can't even have the kids on my lap because that makes it hurt. 

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2008, 06:56:20 AM »
Have you read up on blood clots? I have huge veins in the same place throughout my entire pregnancy, but they don't hurt like that, so that makes me wonder if they could be something worse.
Also mine seem to get better, not worse, toward the end of pregnancy - I figure it's hormone changes. Here is what webmd.com says about the symptoms:
Leg Blood Clot Symptoms
Symptoms occur in the affected leg when a clot obstructs blood flow and causes inflammation. Symptoms may include the following:

Swelling

Gradual onset of pain

Redness

Warm to touch

Worsening leg pain when bending the foot

Leg cramps, especially at night

Bluish or whitish discoloration of skin

Almost 30-50% of individuals have no complaints.

It mentions who is likely to get them and pregnant women are not on the list. You might read it, though, just to be sure: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/blood-clot-legs

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2008, 07:36:25 AM »
Have you read up on blood clots? I have huge veins in the same place throughout my entire pregnancy, but they don't hurt like that, so that makes me wonder if they could be something worse.
Also mine seem to get better, not worse, toward the end of pregnancy - I figure it's hormone changes. Here is what webmd.com says about the symptoms:
Leg Blood Clot Symptoms
Symptoms occur in the affected leg when a clot obstructs blood flow and causes inflammation. Symptoms may include the following:

Swelling

Gradual onset of pain

Redness

Warm to touch

Worsening leg pain when bending the foot

Leg cramps, especially at night

Bluish or whitish discoloration of skin

Almost 30-50% of individuals have no complaints.

It mentions who is likely to get them and pregnant women are not on the list. You might read it, though, just to be sure: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/blood-clot-legs

Thankfully the only symptom I have is pain.  Others on this thread have complained of pain. 
I called my midwife and she recommended Bioflavaniods, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, & White oak bark.  She said to call if the spot got warm.  But she didn't sound worried.   OH she also said to sleep with my feet elevated and NOT to rub it.
This morning I also have a little blind spot in my left eye.  I doubt it's related.  At first I thought it was a migraine but usually with a migraine I get a snowflake pattern but this is more of a streak.  And usually the intense pain sets in about 1/2 hour after the visual disturbance.  It's been at least an hour and I don't have the slightest headache. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 07:38:00 AM by Melie »

Offline BigMeanMamma

• Learning
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2008, 07:50:48 AM »

I had vein surgery after my 4th and before my 5th pregnancy and I'm so glad I did. The difference was amazing! My legs did not hurt during the 5th pregnancy and I was able to do so much more. My surgeon knew I still wanted to have more babies and did recommend fixing my veins first.

During my pregnancy before the surgery I did find some relief from using CoQ10 - 200mg. per day and bioflavinoids and sometimes I just couldn't get by without the compression stockings. They do come in knee high length - which is Much nicer than the full deal.

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2008, 11:01:19 AM »
I read in the book called Hydrogen Peroxide Medical Miracle that some people get relief with peroxide. 10-20 drops in a glass of water 3x a day. It was a really good book!!!!
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2008, 03:59:10 PM »
I am 37 weeks pregnant and have had mostly-purple legs the entire pregnancy. Now the worst vein, in my upper right thigh, has a lump in it, and there is a lump nearby where there is no vein. Has anyone had trouble with their varicose veins leading to blood clots? I'm afraid if it's a blood clot it could come loose while I am in labor.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2008, 04:03:49 PM »
Oooh, honey, I'm sorry your legs are so bad.  :'(

I'm not sure if this is a clot or not, but I would really encourage you to call your doctor or midwife about it.  They would be able to tell.  Blood clots, as you know, are dangerous, and not something to mess around with.  I hope it's not.  I'll be praying for you....

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2009, 03:12:19 AM »
Bumping this topic with a product I found:
Natures Way Leg Veins: 120 caps are only $13.64 (2 per day recommended)
They contain: Horse chestnut, dandilion leaf, vit. C, butchers broom, cayenne, prickley ash bark, and grapeseed extract.  Here is a link to it at LuckyVitamin: http://www.luckyvitamin.com/item/itemKey/55018

I'm going to give it a try and see if it helps. :)  After researching lots of the vein threads here on WTM, it seems to have most of the 'good guys' ingredients, but it does have a pregnancy warning to check with your doctor/midwife first.
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
Help! My midwife told me to 'look up' whether or not I can take horse chestnut while pregnant.   ::)  I did a bunch of online looking on this one, and am only finding wording to the effect of 'no research to recommend the safety of use while pregnant or nursing.'

I would love to hear some personal experience here from ladies who took this while pregnant.  Does/did your midwife OK the use of horse chestnut extract?  Why/why not? 

I want to take the product 'Leg Veins' by Nature's Way.  It contains Horsechestnut Seed Extract with 20% Aescin: 300 mg per serving.

Normally, I'm game to experiment on myself, but I want to be extra careful with the little bean in tow. :)

YoopreMama

« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2009, 12:41:55 AM »
Help! My midwife told me to 'look up' whether or not I can take horse chestnut while pregnant.   ::)  I did a bunch of online looking on this one, and am only finding wording to the effect of 'no research to recommend the safety of use while pregnant or nursing.'

I would love to hear some personal experience here from ladies who took this while pregnant.  Does/did your midwife OK the use of horse chestnut extract?  Why/why not? 

I want to take the product 'Leg Veins' by Nature's Way.  It contains Horsechestnut Seed Extract with 20% Aescin: 300 mg per serving.

Normally, I'm game to experiment on myself, but I want to be extra careful with the little bean in tow. :)
Check w/ SarahK...I think she posted on this w/ last PG.  Oh wait.  That might have been Butcher's Broom.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2009, 02:21:57 AM »
Thanks Yooper!  I'm specifically looking for info on the use of Horse Chestnut. 
The Veno-Care link is no good, so I was even looking up other places that sold Veno-Care, and I can't find anything that says that it's safe in pregnancy.

I've combed WTM pretty carefully, and even tried looking up any Susan Weed recommendations, but it's on her 'don't use in pg list' as 'toxic'. 

BUT, the kind I have is an extract, with a controlled amount of aescin.  And I have found a midwife's website that recommends another similar product, and also a post by a midwife that recommends the product I have.  I would just really feel much more comfortable knowing personal experiences from a few other Mamas.

YoopreMama

« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2009, 09:27:03 AM »
I modified the Veno-care link from earlier posts when I saw it didn't work.  This was listed, but no mention of use during PG.  Seems likely, given the site.  I can see your wanting to hear from other Mamas.   :-\

Veno-Care contains standardized extracts of horse chestnut, butcher's broom, ginger and rutin, which stimulates circulation, strengthen veins, and is suggested for hemorrhoids and varicose veins. Nutritionally supports healthy vein function. 485 Mg each. Certified Potency Veno-Care is the highest quality, most potent and most effective form of preferred whole Horse Chestnut Seed Extract available. Veno-Care is standardized with the greatest preferred concentration of naturally-balanced active principles, among them Escin, while retaining and enhancing all the whole-plant synergistic benefits. Escin is a complex mixture of triterpenoids, a novel class of compounds in plants like the Bioflavonoids and Carotenoids. Our exclusive FreshCare System inhibits normal plant oxidation, maintaining product potency and extending freshness. It includes all-natural antioxidants in each capsule, oxygen-absorbing packets in each bottle, special air-tight seals and amber glass packaging for uncompromised quality.

Other Ingredients: Gelatin, Purified Water, MCT, Vitamin E and Rosemary Oil as natural FreshCare preservatives

Supplement Facts
Serving Size:  1 Capsule
Servings Per Container:  60
Amount Per Serving    % Daily Value*
Certified Potency Horse Chestnut Seed Extract (standardized for 18-22% triterpenoid glycosides, calculated as escins)    257 mg    **
Butcher Broom Root    100 mg    **
Ginger Root    73 mg    **
Rutin    50 mg    **

I see a variety of products, internal and external.  I assume you're looking at internal use?
http://vitamins.shop0nline.net/horse-chestnut-cream-4-oz-planetary-herbals

Other suggestions for others:

I suggest using, calcium, vitamin C, raspberry leaf, and high nutrition, such as seaweeds, fresh fruits and berries, high in citrus bio flavonoids. This will help the veins, and also, making sure you keep the bowel open and clean, with high fiber, will keep the pressure off the femoral artery, and alleviate pressure on the veins. 
http://www.herbnet.com/ask%20the%20herbalist/asktheherbalist_pregnancy.htm

Have you looked at European literature on it? 
Horse chestnuts have been used for centuries to support vein health. It is still widely used in Europe for its medicinal properties. In fact, the FDA counterpart in Germany called Commission E, has endorsed Horse Chestnut extract for venal health support. In the United States, Medline Plus has rated the use of Horse Chestnuts for venal health an “A” because it is supported by strong scientific evidence.
http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/What_is_Horse_Chestnut.html

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2009, 03:13:41 PM »
Thank you Yooper!
Yep, I have been doing lots of research. 

Here is just a sampling of what I've found:

There are no embryotoxic or teratogenic effects of aescin {the active component in Horse Chestnut Seed Extract} in animal models ; however, safety of HCSE has not been established in pregnant or breast feeding women. http://www.herbalremediesinfo.com/horse-chestnut-seed.html

Pregnant and lactating women should avoid taking horse chestnut extract internally. ~Phyllis Balch, Prescriptions for Nutritional Healing

There are no known reasons to avoid horse chestnut during pregnancy (14)  Blumenthal M, Busse WR, Goldberg A, et al. (eds). The Complete Commission E Monographs: Therapeutic Guide to Herbal Medicines. Boston, MA: Integrative Medicine Communications, 1998, 148–9.

If you are interested in herbs, take standardized extract of Horsechestnut known as Venistat or Aescin and use as directed on the bottle; it can be taken orally (250 -312.5 mg. delayed release capsules 2 times per day or 100 mg. regular capsules per day, or 1 - 4 ml. three times daily in tincture form containing 16% - 21% Aescin, or 0.6 ml. of a 1:10 tincture), or topically (apply 1 - 2% gel to hemorrhoids several times per day.
http://www.homebirthwithlove.com/id59.html  -Leah Marinelli R.N., C.N.M., N.P.

I didn't know that Commission E was the European counterpart.  The sources that site their literature directly say that there are no known reasons to avoid it.

I'd still love to hear from Mamas who have used it though! :D

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2009, 01:43:33 AM »
bump! Any testimonies of Horse Chestnut Seed Extract from pregnant Mamas (past or current)? 

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2009, 02:36:20 AM »
Here I am!

I found out about Horse Chestnut when I was researching Butcher's Broom Root.

I'm reading in _The Naturally Healthy family" Home Study Course Manual by Shonda Parker and about Women's Health Application of Butcher's Broom Root it says:

"Some application as above medicinal actions" (chronic venous insufficiency, hemorrhoids, varicose veins).  "Usually I choose horse chestnut to treat varicosities, but for those with chronic venous insufficiency, butcher's broom may become part of my overall protocol"

'Really?!', says I.  'What is this horse chestnut thing?'

I look a few pages later in the H section and of horse chestnut in women't health application it says:

"Horsechestnut, butcher's broom and bilberry are the three primary herbs used to support healty venous structure and sufficiency.  If I only had to pick one of these herbs for the most effective support, I'd pick horse chestnut, but when combining, I'd add the other two for certain.  And, if I thought I might avoid a few pocks of cellulite and a few of these laugh wrinkles, I'd make it a daily must  :) "  (Parker's smilely - not mine.  HA!)

'So,' I say, 'it appears to be the big gun for veins.  But is it safe for me since I am breathing and that usually means I'm pregnant or nursing?'

This same section states there are no known contraindication or restrictions for pregnancy or breastfeeding.  Having read a lot of the rest of the book it appears that's her way of stating what I would mean when I say "go ahead and use it on a regular basis but don't make it half of your diet!"  General dosing from this text is 257 mg standardized supplelment containing 18-22% aescin twice daily.

So I added 2 capsules of Horse chestnut to my routine.  I used Now Foods brand:
Horse Chestnut 300mg 90 caps

I took them for over 45 days cuz I needed to get a 2nd bottle before the baby was born.  I had no problems that I could attribute to the use of any herbs, horse chestnut included.  Birth was fine - no complications.  No abnormalities (positive or negative) with the placenta cuz I specifically asked the doc at delivery to give me her opinions on that.  Boy seems fine, nothing to cause me concern in any way.

Sarah K