Author Topic: Vericous [Vericose] Veins: Treatment Options & Pain Relief  (Read 62573 times)

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
Re: Vericous [Vericose] Veins: Treatment Options & Pain Relief
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 08:23:16 AM »
I had vein surgery last month for that very reason.  They just bothered me too much when I was pregnant.  I got them fixed after baby number 4.  And yes, we would like to have more children.  I got different opinions on it.  My nurses at the clinic that I went to said that pregnancy can start it all over, so they wouldn't go through the surgery until they were done having children.  But, they only have one child apiece and don't get the concept that some people aren't ever really "done" having children.  My midwife said that in her opinion, I should fix them, just because they are such a problem when I'm pregnant.  I decided, it took four children to get this bad, so hopefully, I could have another couple of children without so much discomfort.  But, this is just my thinking.  I don't know anyone else who fixed veins, and then got pregnant again.

Bad veins are a medical problem and are covered by insurance.  Well, part of it is covered.  The problem is caused by a large vein inside your leg with broken valves.  The valves in that vein don't shut properly, so the blood backs up in other veins that you can see, and causes the blue bulging ones that bother me so much.  The surgery covered by insurance shuts down the big vein with the flawed valves, and removes the bulging blue ones.  Since the surgery, my legs feel a lot better.  I don't have to sleep with a pillow between my legs anymore, and they don't ache nearly as much.  So, I would definitely recommend the surgery just for feeling better.  It is a lot to go through, though, and I have no idea how long it will last if I get pregnant again. 

I would be really interested to hear if anyone had them fixed, and got pregnant again.  Were your veins a lot better, or did they get bad again quickly??

Also, have you tried lecithin?  I've read that helps, just haven't tried it myself.  I would think lecithin would be safe during pregnancy, since it's a food byproduct, and pretty natural.  Also, some people on this site recommended DMSO.  I not sure if that's  safe during pregnancy.  Hope you feel better!

Offline S Hedderson

• Learning
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2007, 05:52:54 AM »
I was wondering if anybody knows if I can take "vari-gone"   and the Grape seed extract  together while pregnant??  I can get those two locally so less cost and time for shipping.  Also I was reading earlier on this post that  the grape seed extract you take 1 mg per every pound of body weight and I weigh 120 and the only grape seed  extract I could get comes in capsules of 350mg. Is that OK??  Any advice welcome!!

Susie

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2007, 08:33:48 AM »
I would think you would be okay for the first couple of weeks on the larger dosage, but then I would cut the dosage in half according to the dosage recommendation below (this was formerly posted). 

"...In Europe, where grape seed extract has been used for a number of years, the general recommended dosage for a standardized 95% proanthocyanidin extract is one milligram for every pound of body weight for the first 1-2 weeks.  This is enough to saturate the body tissues, then the amount can be reduced to as little as one-half that amount for maintenance.  Under certain conditions it may be necessary to take 150-300 mg, 2-3 times daily for a short period of time in order to obtain the desired results..."

I don't know what is in Vari-gone, so maybe someone else can chime in.  Taking both together would depend on what is in Vari-gone.  For instance, does it contain a blend of several herbs and supplements?  If so, is grape seed extract one of them?  (it would be too much if that were the case)  Are the other ingredients in vari-gone safe for pregnancy?  I am not aware of any drug/supplement interactions with grape seed extract, but if I were you I would check first.  HTH

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.  -- Albert Einstein

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2007, 08:09:21 PM »
I printed this and another thread out for my sis in law that has dealt with this for her 5 pregnancies and they have gotten worse! they aren't going away now so she has decided to TRY ANYTHING!! not being the one to usually reach for natural i was suprised that she called me and said that she read the posts and is going to try grapeseed oil. NOW anyone have great success with it and if so which brand? of course they all say they're the best!! She said it says it will help with alot of the other issues she is having too.
  anyways- thanks!
 kittynina

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 06:56:04 AM »
I used grapeseed extract, not grapeseed oil.  I would think any high quality health food store brand that was standardized would work.  HTH
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.  -- Albert Einstein

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2007, 11:20:55 AM »
yeah...ummm i meant extract...i was tired when i wrote that... ::)
   obekabee i read some stuff online to just be careful of what you buy because some of name brand stuff has little or no extract and some have some not so good for you other things.

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2007, 05:24:18 PM »
I kinda figured it was a typo, but wanted to be sure ;)  I agree that you really need to check and buy from a reputable company.  I tried the stuff at walmart for a month because it was so much cheaper.  It still helped, but I could tell that it wasn't keeping the pain totally gone.  The name brand stuff (almost $30 for a month :o) absolutely eliminated any pain.  I buy it from a mail order company, but I'm sure there is some good stuff out there that isn't so pricey.  Let me know what you find.  I'd like to get the price down to something reasonable.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2007, 07:18:00 PM »
In answer to the thread that just got locked:  I had vein surgery six months ago.  I used the newer proceedure where a laser is inserted into the deep vein, then pulsed.  This shuts the bad inner vein down.  Then, the bulging veins on my legs were stripped.  This is much easier than stripping the deep vein in my legs.  This was done with local anesthetic, and each leg was done on a separate day.  Each surgery lasted about 2 hours, and I needed someone to drive me home.  I then had to go in the next day to have bandages removed, and had to wear very strong support hose for five days.  They say you can go back to work within two days, but I would say it's more like a week.  My legs were VERY sore for a week, fairly sore for another week, then completely better.  So, it's basically a two week recovery for this surgery.  It does work.  My legs don't hurt anymore.  I went for my six month follow up last week, and the veins are still sealed, so the surgery was successful!!!  Hope this helps.  Hope he gets them fixed, it does feel so much better when it's done, and the recovery is over, but I would definitely recommend laser stripping of the deep vein, and not surgical stripping of that one.

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2008, 07:04:40 AM »
I had vein problems with my last pregnancy, too... although not in my legs
 ::), but I got advice from as many midwives as I could get a hold of. One told me to take butchers broom capsules by a company I can't remember the name of. It was Spanish sounding, like San something or other. With a lot of prayer and tea and those butchers broom capsules, they completely disappeared. I was so grateful to the Lord, because the docs talked my sis out of having anymore babies because of the same problem.

YoopreMama

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 12:44:56 AM by Yooper »

Offline joyfulwifeandmother

• Learning
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2008, 05:02:50 AM »

Ok, I guess I don't know how this forum works, I posted a vericose veins questions, and they locked my forum telling me this type of forum already exist?  O.k.?  So I guess I write here if anyone will see it. I wanted to hear from other pregnant women, especially those who have had vericose veins. This is my 4th child and I started getting the veins with my 3rd. With my 3rd, they didn't hurt, With my fourth they hurt badly, and one runs from my ankle through my foot. They look really bad! I was wondering if there is anything that actually works for the pain, and also what may help remove these ugly veins.
I am not overweight, I exercise everyday on a bike, and I wear compression socks.  ??? What else is there, I am also going to try cayene cream, which is suppose to open the capilliars. Has anyone tried this?   Thanks

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2008, 05:56:41 AM »
I just read (from below link) about a really neat way to take cayenne. You start with less than a 1/4th teaspoon in a 4oz glass of juice (I like tart cherry with a bit of yogurt, but concord grape was mentioned where I read this) and drink it with your meals. I'm starting to try it because I get really cold easily, and since we're going to be out in the 25degree weather today, I'm hoping it will perk me up :). It is sapposed to be great for varicose veins too if you take it long enough, and if you are going to use cayenne, the best results come when you take it orally.

Check this out for more info:

http://www.morethanalive.com/articles/cayenne

Offline mamaincolorado

• Learning
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2008, 10:09:29 AM »
Someone already mentioned the butcher's broom- I have had really good success with this combined with grapine. After taking them together for a few weeks I don't have the leg pain, itchiness, and heaviness I would get before. Also, the veins look better at the end of the day. Hope that helps.

Offline ByHisGrace

• Learning
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2008, 11:06:54 AM »
I used a prenatal cradle. It really helped take off the pressure from the growing baby. Therefore, relieving the pressure making bigger veins.
You can buy one at most malls, but mine was a prescription from my doc. Hope this helps.

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2008, 11:24:55 AM »
I took horse chestnut, butcher's broom and white oak bark with this last pregnancy along with wearing a v-support.  It's basically like a jock strap but for a girl.  I wouldn't know what to do without it.  It was well worth the 40 bucks.  My veins were on the backs of my knees, inside of thighs, vulvar region and by my ankle on one foot.  The herbs helped them not to hurt and the v-support made the ones in the vulvar region not hurt.  Mine went away as soon as baby was out.  Like an hour after he was born!  The support helped even after baby was born when things weren't so tight down there IYNWIM.  :o  Go for the herbs and the support.  I wore mine all the time except when I was sleeping. 
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline kitkat

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2008, 10:15:44 PM »
I have sooooo enjoyed and appreciate all of the helpful info on veins  as well as the "I know what you mean!" comradery- misery enjoys company :D  I have six beautiful daughters and my bulgy veins started at #3.  Progressively getting worse through #4, #5, and stayed the same and possibly a little better for #6.  I "caved in" to the support hose tactic for #6 and they really helped support the problem plus gave me an exercise program every morning getting the tight buggers on!!!!  Ugh!!  I love having babies and if weren't for this vein hassel, pregnancy is a no-brainer for me!  "Anything worth something is not going to cost you nothing!" (I made this up myself ;D).  These babes are the only "thing" with eternal value that we can invest in so even though the price we pay is great it also is worth it in the long run....  I will definately be trying the grapeseed extract as well as the Cayenne and give a report.  My veins are not nearly as bad as when pregnant but I sure want and pray for a solution that is natural!!  Together maybe we can figure this one out :).  Thanks everyone and keep in touch!

• Learning
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2008, 08:51:34 AM »
Do any of you all have them in your feet, or have had them in pregancy, and did they go away?
The worst part about this pregnancy #4, is the way my foot looks. It looks like a disease or something, I just wanted to know if any of you all had them in your feet?  Did they fade after birth.

Thanks for all your post, it is so good to know that I am not alone. :)

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2008, 10:39:59 AM »
  My feet looked very bruised and nasty with this last pregnancy. My midwife said it'll go away..........the twins are almost a month old and i still have them. Some of them faded but not near all. I'm still hoping.  :-\

earthymomof2

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2008, 11:04:05 AM »
I have them in my feet too.  Just delivered 2.5 weeks ago and they're faded but still there.  I have the nasty bruised look.  My midwife mentioned a regimen to take between pregnancies to help them tighten up.  I have to ask her just what the regimen is.  I know that it consists of Rutin and Vitamin E but will get the exact doses soon and post them.

• Learning
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2008, 06:26:14 AM »
Mine are the same way, they look bruised, like they got beat up or something. I really pray they fade after birth, but so far doesn't seem very realistic.  I pray that yours wil fade too! Let me know!

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2008, 09:56:34 AM »
I took horse chestnut, butcher's broom and white oak bark with this last pregnancy along with wearing a v-support.  It's basically like a jock strap but for a girl.  I wouldn't know what to do without it.  It was well worth the 40 bucks.  My veins were on the backs of my knees, inside of thighs, vulvar region and by my ankle on one foot.  The herbs helped them not to hurt and the v-support made the ones in the vulvar region not hurt.  Mine went away as soon as baby was out.  Like an hour after he was born!  The support helped even after baby was born when things weren't so tight down there IYNWIM.  :o  Go for the herbs and the support.  I wore mine all the time except when I was sleeping. 

How, exactly, did you take the herbs??  Were they in a tea, tincture, or capsules.  Does it matter how you take them?  Thanks! 

Offline marmiemama

• Adept
    • www.lovethelordandknityoursocks.blogspot.com
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2008, 05:01:29 PM »
Would anyone know if varicose veins and hemmorhoids are related at all?  Trilight Herbs sells a formula called Circulatone that treats both of these.  This formula is safe for pregnancy (bit expensive, though) and I was thinking of purchasing.  Does anyone know if the grapeseed extract would help with hemmorhoids as well?

Thanks and Blessings,
Lisa
"Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  Phil. 4:6-7
www.lovethelordandknityoursocks.blogspot.com

Offline marmiemama

• Adept
    • www.lovethelordandknityoursocks.blogspot.com
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2008, 05:16:38 PM »
Would anyone know if varicose veins and hemmorhoids are related at all? 

O.K.  I'm answering my own question!  Found on the Mayo Clinic's website that hemmerhoids are varicose veins around the rectum.  So...I guess that any treatment for varicose veins would help this as well!

Blessings,
Lisa
"Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  Phil. 4:6-7
www.lovethelordandknityoursocks.blogspot.com

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2008, 04:00:42 PM »
I don't remember where, but for some odd reason I think I remember reading (in NGJ?) that eating the whites of natural grown oranges helps vericose veins. Do any of you know why this might be? I have a lady from work say that she has problems with this and since I'm the "natural" health person there she wondered what I thought would help. All that popped into my mind was orange peel whites. I felt pretty silly when I didn't know how to answer her question of how it helps!  ::)  She said someone else encouraged her to take chestnut for it, but she had no idea how to go about getting that or what to look for.  Hmm...any ideas?

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2008, 09:53:22 AM »

How, exactly, did you take the herbs??  Were they in a tea, tincture, or capsules.  Does it matter how you take them?  Thanks! 
I took them by capsule.
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2008, 10:43:11 AM »
 Has anyone tried the grape seed extract for varicose veins? How much are you taking? I saw this in an earlier post:

Now for dosage  (More quotes from the pamphlet):
...In Europe, where grape seed extract has been used for a number of years, the general recommended dosage for a standardized 95% proanthocyanidin extract is one milligram for every pound of body weight for the first 1-2 weeks.  This is enough to saturate the body tissues, then the amount can be reduced to as little as one-half that amount for maintenance.  Under certain conditions it may be necessary to take 150-300 mg, 2-3 times daily for a short period of time in order to obtain the desired results...
[/quote]

...only that would be just 1-2 tenths of a gram for the average woman - that doesn't seem like much! I got some not in capsules, it has a dropper - so I'm thinking one drop would be about right - though it almost doesn't sound right! The bottle recommends a dropperful (for antioxidants, not for varicose veins), but that stuff is expensive and it doesn't sound like you need that much.

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2008, 03:33:11 PM »
Just wanted to say that I had a vein in my lower leg that was starting to bulge and also ached all the time. I went through a whole bottle of citrus bioflavanoids on the advice of ND that I listen to on the radio. I couldn't tell that it did a thing.

Then I bought Grape Seed Extract several weeks ago. The vein no longer bulges or aches. If I start aching, I know I forgot to take the gse. I'm very pleased with the results. I'm only 34 and wasn't ready for this yet.

I bought Olympian Labs brand from iherb as it is made in the usa, packaged in amber glass and guaranteed to be free of toxic solvents. I bought the 120 mg strength and took it twice a day for about two weeks, now just take it once a day.

Definitely worth a try if you have aching legs.

Offline Becks

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2008, 06:28:04 PM »
I like the herbal healing options.  I'm pregnant with number 4 and got varicose veins with the second baby and not with the third that I remember.  The problem goes away when I'm not pregnant.  I've got them in the back of my upper thigh.  Mostly on one side and not on the other.  The only thing I could think to do was wrap the leg with an ace bandage for support each morning and that seems to really help.  The bandage does slide down some though.  I'd be interested in knowing more about some of these support garments.  I didn't know they made anything but the support socks which wouldn't go up high enough for me.

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2008, 04:31:51 AM »
Drinking nettle leaf (stinging nettle)  tea will help ALOT with vericose veins! Someone said to drink a quart a day. I have noticed an improvement with drinking only 2 cups per day.
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2008, 11:53:41 AM »
Drinking tea with nettles, and taking a butchers broom supplement has really helped me. The capsules are called circu caps, and are by Sanhelios. A midwife referred me to them, and it's been amazing!