Author Topic: Vericous [Vericose] Veins: Treatment Options & Pain Relief  (Read 57527 times)

Offline kitkat

• Wide Eyed
Vericous [Vericose] Veins: Treatment Options & Pain Relief
« on: June 06, 2006, 03:17:44 AM »
Hello there!
On the topic of vericous veins (pregnancy induced in particular), does anyone have any healing/restorative remedies for these unsightly nuisances?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 05:15:44 AM by healthybratt »

Offline natural

• Adept
Re: Vericous [Vericose] Veins: Treatment Options & Pain Relief
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 06:11:40 AM »
Good question, I was visiting a friend who is pg and has a huge mass of these veins on her shin...she and her hubby have named this mass--Violet and now she has birthed a sister on her other leg.

I would be interested in knowing of something to help her out with.
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 08:48:23 AM »
Taking red pepper helps with circulation (some don't recomend it during pg, but I always have, and know many that take it when pg- it's a food), and witch hazel applied topically is an astringent that helps too.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 07:02:16 AM »
O.k. i know this is an old topic, but just found it. :-\ I've used a poduct from Nature's Sunshine that is in a pill form called Varigone. My veins used to get really sore during preg. but on the varigone my veins were hardly sore at all. It's supposed to strengthen your veins. It uses all herbs, if you're interested i could get you the ingredients.

Offline Julie G

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 02:51:36 AM »
O.k. i know this is an old topic, but just found it. :-\ I've used a poduct from Nature's Sunshine that is in a pill form called Varigone. My veins used to get really sore during preg. but on the varigone my veins were hardly sore at all. It's supposed to strengthen your veins. It uses all herbs, if you're interested i could get you the ingredients.

Does Varigone make the veins diminish?  I have a huge varicose vein from my last baby...it's not painful yet just really unsightly.  Maybe I'm just fain, but I'll like it to go away because it is so ugly.
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 05:35:39 AM »
I don't think they made them disappear but the terrible soreness was relieved in a huge way.I had some in my..um, nether regions ;D, so bad i could hardly use toilet paper after urinating, and this was with my second pregnancy, and with my next two i stayed on Varigone and the soreness pretty much disappeared. Unfortunately, with each pregnancy my legs look worse. It's hard not to be jealous of other people's smooth legs......Fortunately, it bothers me much worse than my husband. He says my spirit is far more important than my legs. What a man!!! I try to keep myself in shape and he says that it's something i can't control(my veins that is). I try not to bring attention to them, no man wants to hear his wife complain how ugly she feels sometimes. :P
  There are a few things you can do to help control them. Wear those awful support hose specifically made for veins. I never have but would seriously consider it next pregnancy. Also take a lot of walks. The circulation is important for your veins. Can't remember all the tips. And the varigone helps strengthen your veins so you won't get them as bad. Most of all, be happy and sexy for your husband(in the bedroom) and delight in him and he"ll  love you all the more for giving your body to carry his chillun's. And when you're done producing offspring and you're really desperate, you can always have laser surgery done and get rid of the worst of them. :) Good luck!

Offline Bethany

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 05:54:03 AM »
Wear those awful support hose specifically made for veins.

If you're going to do this, make sure you put them on before you ever get out of bed in the morning.

Offline sojournermom

• Learning
    • www.terraxplore.com
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 03:52:09 AM »
During my last pregnancy (10 mo. ago) I had varicose veins that started behind my right knee and traveled down my leg as the pregnancy progressed.  I am barely pregnant again and I already have the beginnings behind my right knee.

This is probably a dumb question, does anyone know if it is possibly to just wrap the area of veins or will this just cause the veins to move through the rest of the leg.  I really don't want to wear stockings...at least not while it is still warm out, but sigh...don't want the pain of last time.
Hebrews 3:13
But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

our favourite website www.allathisfeet.com

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 04:16:25 AM »
Oohh... I know _that_ pain.

For a while early in pregnancy, I have ACE bandage wrapped them, but I had problems with them just creaping down (iineffective and annoying). I have the thigh-hi T.E.D.S. and absolute loathe them - and I wear them when pregnant.  July-August or December.

I am due again & here's what I am doing to manage these things:

Avoid salt to an extreme - I add zero salt in anything I cook and only eat fruit or salad when eating out.  When I cheat , I get lots of edema and the ache is intense.

Drink Red Raspberry tea - I am convinced this is helping!

Regular exercise - somehow, my veins drain better when my leg muscles get used regularly.  Even 15 min every day up & down the stairs helped.

Anyone else got some good ideas?

My experience-
Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

earthymomof2

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 09:17:13 AM »
Bump.

I know its been a long time since this was posted, but any other ideas?  I'm 12.5 weeks and mine are getting really bad already.  I have them up and down the outside of my left leg, and most of the back of my right leg also.  I'm feeling a lot of congestion in my pelvic area also, and guessing that I have some varicosities internally in my pelvis as well (I do have vulvar varicosities too).  I'm skinny and young (26) and I've had these for 3.5 years.  Much worse now that I'm pregnant.    TEDs help with the ache somewhat, and I've noticed, with Sarah K, that exericise helps (temporarily).  I'm trying to do lots of Kegels and pelvic tilts to help move the blood through that area and not sit or stand for long periods, and when I do, I try to pump my calf muscles.

Anybody?

Offline viola

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 10:18:49 AM »
I was just reading Ann Louise Gittleman on this problem, and she says heavy citrus fruit intake daily will help ... grapefruit, orange and lemon.

earthymomof2

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 12:34:57 PM »
Ah, yes, my former  midwife told me to eat about 5 citrus fruits a day.  Aahhh!!!  I can't eat that many.  I'm not a big citrus lover.  I do drink lemons (squeezed in watre), but is it the pith that I need (can't say I eat the white stuff under the lemon peel)?  I do enjoy grapefruits a fair amount too, but they're expensive right now. 

Hmm, maybe I'll just buy some ester-C. 

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 02:13:28 AM »
    There's a couple things that help with mine. Vari-gone from Nature's Sunshine took the soreness away. I was at the point where toilet paper made me wince. Vari-gone is all herbs and made all the difference with me. I'm trying "vari-plex" from mountain meadow herbs right now and my veins have been bearable. I'm 3 months pregant and my veins are swollen but not sore if i stay on the herbs.

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 05:06:13 AM »
Ah, yes, my former  midwife told me to eat about 5 citrus fruits a day.  Aahhh!!!  I can't eat that many.  I'm not a big citrus lover.  I do drink lemons (squeezed in watre), but is it the pith that I need (can't say I eat the white stuff under the lemon peel)?  I do enjoy grapefruits a fair amount too, but they're expensive right now. 

Hmm, maybe I'll just buy some ester-C. 

Just as a note on this, in Perscription for Nutritional healing it says that some Vericose vein problems can be caused by a lack of Vit C and some of the B vitamins that help you absorb it well.  My Midwife also told me that After delivery to treat and prevent vein problems to use some white willow bark tea. 

-Heather

earthymomof2

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 10:02:24 AM »
I got the Ester C and am taking it, but I am wondering about taking a supplement.   Thanks for the suggestions.  Stockings are just too hot right now.

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 12:26:19 PM »
I thought I would post my recent experience in case it helps.  With each pregnancy I have got massive varicose veins in my legs and they hurt.   :-\  After each pregnancy they would go away, but after my last child, something strange happened.  The visible varicose veins went away, but everytime I had my period, the pain would come back.  This went on for three years.  Weird, I know.  But it was bad enough to interfere with my life.  I read some info on Grape Seed extract.  Apparently it is the first line of defence for varicose veins in several countries.  It helps strengthen the vein walls.  After researching it, I decided to give it a try.  After being on it for one month, the pain stopped.  I still take it and have for several months now, and I have been pain free since I started taking it.  I didn't research its safety for pregnancy related varicose veins, but it is working wonders for my situation.  If anyone is interested in recommended dosage, etc. I can post that for you.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.  -- Albert Einstein

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 01:45:05 PM »
  If anyone is interested in recommended dosage, etc. I can post that for you.

I'm interested!!! ;D ;D ;D  I have the exact same trouble that you described and would love to know about anything that could help.  Thanks for your post!  -KG
having a baby" border="0

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 02:23:43 AM »
My sister has this trouble and I'd love to give her the dosage too.  ~L

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 04:15:14 AM »
I read some info on Grape Seed extract.  Apparently it is the first line of defence for varicose veins in several countries. 
 I didn't research its safety for pregnancy related varicose veins, but it is working wonders for my situation.

I did some quick looking and one of the side effects listed is :

"Grape seed extract may possibly increase the time blood needs to clot. When it is taken with antiplatelet or anticoagulant drugs (including clopidogrel, Ticlid, heparin, warfarin, and aspirin) the effect of the drug may be increased, resulting in uncontrolled bleeding. " Taken from Wikipedia: Grape Seed Extract Interactions.

It's a 'possibility' and not a documented problem/side effect.  But I'm interested in the use of it in pregnancy.  Do you have any leads/resources left-over from when you first investigated Grape Seed Extract?  I would do the web-work to research this one.  It sounds promising.

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 04:44:44 AM »
I first read about grape seed extract in a pamphlet, then I googled to see what else I could find.  Everything I found was good.  Here are some short excerpts from the pamphlet by Dr. Clark Hansen, N.M.D. :

...Wrinkles, age spots, varicose veins, and cellulite are much more than mere vanity diseases.  They are signs of a systemic deficiency of  proanthocyanidin bioflavonoids (grape seed extract).  A deficiency of these essential elements leads to not only the aging of the skin, but may lead to the most dreaded diseases of our time, including heart disease, cancer, strokes, diabetes, arthritis, Alzheimer's disease and more.......grape seed extract can...improve the suppleness of your skin, and help reduce or delay the appearance of wrinkles, varicose veins, cellulite, scars and age spots.  Grape seed extract also helps to reduce edema and easy bruising.....

....Grape seed extract has been shown to be devoid of any toxic effects.  It doesn't impair fertility and has been shown to be safe for use during pregnancy and breast feeding with no toxicity to either mother or baby.  Even extremely large doses given for extended periods of time have not been shown to cause any side effects.

When I did further research I found that European doctors (you know, the ones who aren't afraid of anything that they can't stir up in a lab ;)) have been using this as a treatment for varicose veins for years.  They have found it to be more effective than the standard conventional treatment, including surgery because it addresses the underlying cause that creates them in the first place.  The other benefits to the skin and other diseases showed up as "side effects" for patients under treatment for varicose veins.  Hmmmm...now that is a side effect I can live with. :D

Now for dosage  (More quotes from the pamphlet):
...In Europe, where grape seed extract has been used for a number of years, the general recommended dosage for a standardized 95% proanthocyanidin extract is one milligram for every pound of body weight for the first 1-2 weeks.  This is enough to saturate the body tissues, then the amount can be reduced to as little as one-half that amount for maintenance.  Under certain conditions it may be necessary to take 150-300 mg, 2-3 times daily for a short period of time in order to obtain the desired results...

If I have time later today I will try to find the links to the information I found over the internet.  No promises, but if I can find them I will post them.  HTH
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.  -- Albert Einstein

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 04:51:47 AM »
Thanks!

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 05:25:36 AM »
More information on treating varicose veins:

VARICOSE VEINS
QUESTION: Please inform me if grapeseed extract is effective and safe for use of treatment of varicose veins and/or spider veins. Thank you.

ANSWER:
From the HealthCentral herb library on Grape Seed extract

http://www.healthcentral.com/home/home.cfm

Grape seed extract:
Active Ingredients
The oil pressed from grape seeds contains a number of essential fatty acids and is rich in vitamin E compounds.

The most interesting constituents of grape seeds are the polyphenols (catechins). These tannin compounds, also called procyanidins, leucoanthocyanins, pycnogenols, or oligomeric proanthocyanidins (OPC), are powerful antioxidants. Commercial extracts are generally standardized for OPC content.
Grape leaves and presumably seeds also contain flavonoids, and the skin and seeds are the source of several recently identified compounds known as 5-nucleotidase inhibitors.

Use:
Grape seed oil can be used for cooking. It has an unobtrusive flavor and a high smoking point and is rich in omega-6 fatty acids.
Grape seed extract is used in Europe to improve circulation. It prevents oxidation of blood fats and inhibits enzymes that break down the proteins that make up blood vessels.
Grape seed is believed to benefit cardiac and cerebral circulation. In animals it reduces capillary permeability and presumably has similar activity in humans.
Capillaries may be fragile due to diabetes or other disorders. In four small studies, grape seed extract was better than placebo at improving peripheral circulation as well, resulting in less pain and swelling, fewer nighttime cramps, and less numbness and tingling.
Studies have shown that grape seed extract may slow macular degeneration, improve vision stressed by computer screens or glare, and reduce myopia. Although further research is needed, the results have been promising.
In test tube research grape seed polyphenols stop the growth of Streptococcus mutans, a bacteria that causes tooth decay. They also slow the conversion of sucrose (table sugar) into glucan, and as a consequence of both these actions, grape seed may have a role in maintaining dental health.
Another potential benefit of grape seed extract is anti-inflammatory activity.

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 05:29:43 AM »
I don't know which links I searched several months ago, but I just did a google on "grape seed extract varicose veins" and it pulled up a wealth of information -- way too much to weary your eyes with here.  If you are interested in more info, you might try typing that into your google box.  Oh, and brew yourself a cup of tea first. :D

earthymomof2

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 05:44:45 AM »
Oh cool.  I have OPCs in the house.  It's ISO-OPC from Saratoga Supplements.  It's great for inflammation too.  I'll try to take it more regularly now that I know it can help my veins.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 02:35:50 PM »
Thanks so much for the info on Grape seed extract!  I just had surgery three weeks ago for varicose veins.  It was definitely not pleasant.  The recovery was pretty quick, though.  Now that the main vein and bulgy veins are gone, I'm wondering about the residual spider veins.  I can have those removed by injections and laser, but since these are purely cosmetic, I would rather not, if I could cure it naturally.  Have you read the thread about DMSO?  I think I'm going to try the GSE you suggested along with  DMSO.  I'll let you all know how they work. 

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 08:32:36 AM »
It would be great to get an update on how this worked for someone else.  Also, I would be interested to know if GSE actually reduced the appearance of varicose and spider veins.  I only have experience with the pain of it (the appearance went away after I had each baby).

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007, 02:00:20 PM »
....if GSE actually reduced the appearance....

I just wanted to clarify that Grape Seed Extract and Grapefruit Seed Extract are two different things which share similar names and the same initials.  I'm not saying you had the wrong one in mind, but because Nurtibiotic puts out a grapefruit seed extract called GSE, I didn't want anyone else to confuse them if they just skim this thread.  Just being cautious.   ;)    ~L

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 04:07:13 PM »
It would be great to get an update on how this worked for someone else.  Also, I would be interested to know if GSE actually reduced the appearance of varicose and spider veins.  I only have experience with the pain of it (the appearance went away after I had each baby).

How many babies do you have?  Mine went away completely after the first two, after the third, some still showed, and after the fourth, my legs ached every day, and they all still showed, spiders and blue varicose veins.  The surgery I got took care of the big vein going down the inside of my both my legs.  Those veins (one on each leg)  had valves that didn't shut properly. This caused all the others that I could see.  The surgery also got rid of the bulging ones that I could see.  So, now my legs aren't supposed to ache any more, but I've still got these lovely spiders that look like bruises around one of my ankles.  Sigh.  I'm just really hoping this works, because I really don't want to do any more surgical stuff, especially just for something cosmetic.  Thanks again for the information.  Hopefully it helps!

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2007, 03:29:27 PM »

How many babies do you have? 

I have 3 babies.  And yes, we are talking about Grape Seed Extract (not grapefruit seed extract)  Thanks for the clarification.  We were packing for a vacation and I was trying to be speedy.  That's what I get for being lazy and not typing it out.  :-\  Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 04:49:31 AM by healthybratt »

earthymomof2

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2007, 05:09:25 PM »
Does anyone know if its advised to have varicose veins "taken care of" (I mean, surgically) after you've completed childbearing, or is it ever advised to do it sooner?  I'm pg with number 3 and would like at least one more baby after this, but my veins are so bad and getting worse almost daily, I'm wondering if I should think about having them taken care of BEFORE we think of having another?  Mine got a lot better after my last pregnancy, but then continued to worsen gradually over the last couple of years.  They REALLY bothered me on my period days, and my skin itches and doesn't heal well in those areas, so I really think it's getting to be a health issue, not just a cosmetic issue.

I'm asking my midwife tomorrow about taking Horse Chestnut extract and hope that she'll say its okay and that it will help some, but I know I'll need some extensive "work" done later on to take care of these.  Just don't know when the best time would be.   

Any opinions on this?  This is bothering me a lot right now.  I'm only 26 and it's so unsightly.  I also hate to limit my childbearing because of my veins, but it's making me feel like I almost /shouldn't/ consider more children because it's so uncomfortable and it's risky in my situation because of my already heightened clotting risk (long story) let alone having faulty veins that pool blood in them.  Trying everything to decrease my risks like taking a daily aspirin, blood thinning herbs and ones that strengthen veins, remaining active, staying hydrated, never crossing or dandling my legs, wearing support stockings.  Just doing my best and praying  He'll take care of the rest.