Natural Health > Training & Development

Anyone have input on Glenn Doman's books? (How to Teach your Baby to Read, etc.)

(1/4) > >>

PreachersWife:
I read about Glenn Doman's books on morethanalive.com.  Just wondering if anyone else had read about these books, or actually read them.  And if so, would you recommend them?  He has written books such as How To Teach Your Baby To Read, How To Teach Your Baby Math, and How To Give Your Baby Encyclopedic Knowledge, among others.  The authors (Glenn and his daughter Janet Doman) claim that it is easier to teach a 1yo to read than it is to teach a 6yo to read.  :o   

I have heard, and do believe, that a child's capacity to learn is greatest in the first 6 years of life.  So...I wonder if Mr. Doman may have a point.  However, I mostly wonder about his methods.  He has another book, What To Do About Your Brain Injured Child, and the theory behind his methods doesn't sound exactly "Christian," as it is based on the theory of evolution.  Needless to say, I would like a little more information before investing in his books, although they do sound very interesting!  Any input, positive or negative, would be appreciated.  Thanks! :)

Isaacsmama:
I have the teaching baby to read book.  I dont remember anything in there about evolution.  I like it, mine is now 21 mo and we have been doing it off and on since about a year.  I run out of poster board quickly which is why we are not consistent.  But, I think it works.  My little guy  when shown the word 'lawnmower' would go to the back door and point out in the yard.  We are at the point where we need to do two word phrases.  Anyway, I didnt know he had other books out there, the math one sounds cool.

Texas Girl.:
I have all(?) of his books; after reading about them here I bought them on ebay!  We have lots of things going on so I haven't consistently worked with my kiddos so I don't know if I can recommend them yet, BUT I did want you to know that if you look,  you can sometimes find the flashcards on ebay pre-printed ~ which would save you TONS of time and probably cost less in the long run than buying all that posterboard!

Devasha:
How to Teach Your Baby to Read, sounds like it may be based on the whole-language method, also called the look-say method.  I believe that the phonics method is better suited to learning to read a phonetic language, which English is.  If you are interested, you may like to read, Why Johnny Can't Read, by Rudolf Flesch.

PreachersWife:

--- Quote from: Isaacsmama on May 31, 2007, 07:08:51 PM ---I have the teaching baby to read book.  I dont remember anything in there about evolution.  I like it, mine is now 21 mo and we have been doing it off and on since about a year.  I run out of poster board quickly which is why we are not consistent.  But, I think it works.  My little guy  when shown the word 'lawnmower' would go to the back door and point out in the yard.  We are at the point where we need to do two word phrases.  Anyway, I didnt know he had other books out there, the math one sounds cool.

--- End quote ---

Thanks so much for the input!  About the evolution...it is his book What To Do About Your Brain Injured Child that indicates his evolutionary beliefs.  Apparently, the theory behind his methods is that the human brain "evolves" much like human kind "evolved" from fish.  There is a lot more to it, and perhaps I will have a chance to expound on it at a later date.  (My dh is waiting on me outside right now.  Isn't there a post about "How to know if you are a WellTeller" on here somewhere??  I think I must qualify  ::) )  Thanks again!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version