Author Topic: Anyone have input on Glenn Doman's books? (How to Teach your Baby to Read, etc.)  (Read 16716 times)

Offline PreachersWife

• Learning
I read about Glenn Doman's books on morethanalive.com.  Just wondering if anyone else had read about these books, or actually read them.  And if so, would you recommend them?  He has written books such as How To Teach Your Baby To Read, How To Teach Your Baby Math, and How To Give Your Baby Encyclopedic Knowledge, among others.  The authors (Glenn and his daughter Janet Doman) claim that it is easier to teach a 1yo to read than it is to teach a 6yo to read.  :o   

I have heard, and do believe, that a child's capacity to learn is greatest in the first 6 years of life.  So...I wonder if Mr. Doman may have a point.  However, I mostly wonder about his methods.  He has another book, What To Do About Your Brain Injured Child, and the theory behind his methods doesn't sound exactly "Christian," as it is based on the theory of evolution.  Needless to say, I would like a little more information before investing in his books, although they do sound very interesting!  Any input, positive or negative, would be appreciated.  Thanks! :)

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
I have the teaching baby to read book.  I dont remember anything in there about evolution.  I like it, mine is now 21 mo and we have been doing it off and on since about a year.  I run out of poster board quickly which is why we are not consistent.  But, I think it works.  My little guy  when shown the word 'lawnmower' would go to the back door and point out in the yard.  We are at the point where we need to do two word phrases.  Anyway, I didnt know he had other books out there, the math one sounds cool.

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
I have all(?) of his books; after reading about them here I bought them on ebay!  We have lots of things going on so I haven't consistently worked with my kiddos so I don't know if I can recommend them yet, BUT I did want you to know that if you look,  you can sometimes find the flashcards on ebay pre-printed ~ which would save you TONS of time and probably cost less in the long run than buying all that posterboard!

Offline Devasha

• Adept
How to Teach Your Baby to Read, sounds like it may be based on the whole-language method, also called the look-say method.  I believe that the phonics method is better suited to learning to read a phonetic language, which English is.  If you are interested, you may like to read, Why Johnny Can't Read, by Rudolf Flesch.
Arthur Parker: "I hope you like dry toast."
"With a reasonable quantity of butter spread over it, very much," said Charlotte, "but not otherwise."
"No more do I," said he, exceedingly pleased.

Offline PreachersWife

• Learning
I have the teaching baby to read book.  I dont remember anything in there about evolution.  I like it, mine is now 21 mo and we have been doing it off and on since about a year.  I run out of poster board quickly which is why we are not consistent.  But, I think it works.  My little guy  when shown the word 'lawnmower' would go to the back door and point out in the yard.  We are at the point where we need to do two word phrases.  Anyway, I didnt know he had other books out there, the math one sounds cool.

Thanks so much for the input!  About the evolution...it is his book What To Do About Your Brain Injured Child that indicates his evolutionary beliefs.  Apparently, the theory behind his methods is that the human brain "evolves" much like human kind "evolved" from fish.  There is a lot more to it, and perhaps I will have a chance to expound on it at a later date.  (My dh is waiting on me outside right now.  Isn't there a post about "How to know if you are a WellTeller" on here somewhere??  I think I must qualify  ::) )  Thanks again!

Offline PreachersWife

• Learning
How to Teach Your Baby to Read, sounds like it may be based on the whole-language method, also called the look-say method.  I believe that the phonics method is better suited to learning to read a phonetic language, which English is.  If you are interested, you may like to read, Why Johnny Can't Read, by Rudolf Flesch.

I had thought that his "reading" program must be based on the look-say method, as you said.  I, too, think the phonics method is more beneficial "in the long run" for the English language.  (I'm not saying I think other methods would be damaging, just that I like phonics best.)  Anyway, I will look into the book by Flesch for additional thoughts on the matter.  Thanks!

Offline PreachersWife

• Learning
I have all(?) of his books; after reading about them here I bought them on ebay!  We have lots of things going on so I haven't consistently worked with my kiddos so I don't know if I can recommend them yet, BUT I did want you to know that if you look,  you can sometimes find the flashcards on ebay pre-printed ~ which would save you TONS of time and probably cost less in the long run than buying all that posterboard!

I have checked ebay once, but only found one or two items.  If I do decide to purchase, I will definitely check there again, though!  Thanks!

Could you tell me if Zophaiah has the correct theory about his "reading" method?  If so, I think I will pass on that one, and just opt to teach my son to read by phonics...simply because I liked the phonetic method so well.  (I still intend to teach him WELL before the age of 6...probably about 3??)

As for the book on math...would you be able to tell me what basic idea he uses?  I know you couldn't tell me how to use his program (I wouldn't want that anyway -- cheating!), but just his basic concept.  And then the "encyclopedic knowledge" book...I would guess that it uses the visual senses as well?  Anyway, any information you can give would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 06:08:32 PM by PreachersWife »

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
We haven't started on the math yet, because they recommend that your baby learn to read first...something about building the neural pathways.  The math is basically the same; you make flashcards, one for each number 1-100, but you use a red dot.  The 'one' card has one red dot, and so on.  Then I think you just flash them at the kid while you say the name.  You start with numbers 1-10 and go from there.  Sorry I'm pretty vague about it; like I said, we haven't done it yet.

Offline smalltown mom

• Adept
Anybody out there still trying to teach your baby Doman methods?

I've got to admit--I feel pretty overwhelmed at the moment. I'm working with both my 3yo and 14mo daughters on both math and reading flashcards. Kind of mentally exhausting trying to fit in countless sessions, and I'm really trying to have a joyful attitude, but I'm not having much fun, and they don't seem to eagerly anticipate the sessions either.

I'm thinking of cutting back to just 1 set of 5 words per day for each kid and still keep the two sets of math cards going. I didn't see anything in his books advising not to do both programs at once, although I know someone up above said to do the reading first.

So does anyone have any tips on how to teach 2 kids 2 subjects at once?? Or maybe just some encouragement. I was also wanting to know if there is any info out there about how to teach your baby music utilizing these or similar methods.

Thanks!!

Offline smalltown mom

• Adept
Bump

Offline pinkapple

• Wide Eyed
According to DOman's book, "stop if Mummy or baby doesn't enjoy"

I have the same concerns as smalltown mom :
1. how to fit so many sessions in one day when I'm working and we dont' spend much time at home on weekdays.
2. how to teach 2 subjects (3 in my case) concurrently...

am looking for the answers. will post here again if i find.

Texas Girl, I started on Math instead. want to start on English and Chinese but think want to start small and for Math, children may "reject" dots when they are older.

my son is 18months now.

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
Glad you all reminded me about this!  I have been so busy and totally forgot we had this system....  now I know what we'll be doing Monday... :)

Offline smalltown mom

• Adept
Just checking in to see how it's going with everyone using this system. Also, how old are your kids whom you're teaching? My 2 girls are 3 and almost 18 months. I'm not sure if the littler one is learning anything, because she really doesn't say many words yet, but with the older girl, I'm kind of using a modified approach to teaching sight words (I'm taking a more laidback, lazy approach so I don't go insane). Just showing her some words from Dick and Jane whenever I think about it, and she actually remembers a lot of them!! They seem to pick up on sight words so much faster than ABC's at this age.

Offline HappyHomemaker25

• Learning
I have looked into this program a few times as well. We teach phonics here, but I was just wondering if teaching my 2 year old some sight reading now would hurt if we went through phonics as a refresher when he was a little older?
Wife to one amazing husband. Mommy to five blessings through adoption. Expecting our miracle,Miss Lily Grace, 6/24/10.

Offline smalltown mom

• Adept
You'll be amazed at how quickly little ones pick up on the sight words. With my 2 older boys, I used the "Hooked on Phonics" system, and even in that method there are "sight word" cards. Well, my boys always seemed to be able to read the sight words quicker and easier than when they had to sound out each individual word.

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
Just throwing in my .02.... I did the Teach Your Baby to Read system last summer, in only the most lazy and haphazard way (its been a crazy year for us, and I just didn't have time to do it right).  My kindergartener is now reading at 2nd grade level.  I have to wonder if it wasn't due to this system, even though I hardly tried?  She's leaps and bounds ahead of every other kid in her class.

Offline creyente

• Learning
Has anyone else tried this with babies? I started about a month ago (the books say you can start with words at 4 months) but my 7 month old doesn't always get very excited about it. Half the time she looks at the words excitedly, but half the time she just looks away and doesn't even look at the cards. I'm thinking of taking a little break and seeing if she gets into it later. I also want to start her on math. Anyone else tried this?

Their website has some interesting videos if anyone is more interested....
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3207632
and
http://www.iahp.org/View.380.0.html

Offline TeachingMyToddlers

• Wide Eyed
I found this thread while googling some Doman information online. I taught my own babies to read early using Doman-Inspired methods as I like to call them. I'm a busy mom and while the idea was nice, it was just too time consuming to teach my kids by preparing all of those cards. I  stumbled across  a software program that does it all for you with a ready made curriculum. I jumped at the chance, bought it and never looked back!

I belong to the forum now that created the software. They also offer 4 free ebooks by clicking here and selecting the "BRILLBABY" tab www.brillkids.com/ra.php?40902 , as well as 2 week trials to their Doman reading and math software. I like the program because it involves pictures and videos, not just big read words, so the kids really build their vocabulary and get meaning out of the words.

If you do not have the financial means to purchase the software, click on the "FOUNDATION" tab to apply for a scholarship for your child. It's a 501(c)(3) charitable organization.  Need based scholarships are given to individuals and groups like schools, orphanages, and therapy centers, etc, around the world. Special consideration is given to kids with special needs, and for regular financial hardship you would need to submit documentation such as a letter, paystub, etc.

Both of my kids were sight reading by 13 months and decoding by 19 months. Now my 2.5 year old reads at 2nd grade level, and my 1.5 year old at K level. And they LOVE it! www.youtube.com/teachingmytoddlers

The other thing you can search for is "Flesch Cards" online, they're a free download. It's a series of phonetically based flash cards based on the pro-phonics book "Why Johnny Can't Read." The creator (Larry Sanger, who is also the co-founder of Wikipedia) is currently turning the cards into a free download for the computer and iphones/ipads called "Reading Bear." (Formerly called "watchknow reader") www.watchknow.org is another great free educational resource. Larry Sanger also wrote an amazing essay called "How and Why I Taught My Toddler to Read."

http://larrysanger.org/2010/12/baby-reading/