Author Topic: Parethesias [Tingling, Pins & Needles]: Causes & Cures  (Read 41307 times)

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
Parethesias [Tingling, Pins & Needles]: Causes & Cures
« on: May 30, 2007, 10:02:14 AM »
Didn't quite know where to put this.  If it's wrong feel free to move it.
My ds is 24 and complaining of his hands being tingly and numb.  I know this is a sign of something but I can't remember what.  Anybody help?  I did look it up on a healthline but didn't get much help.    I need all you naturalists to tell me your thoughts.   :)   Thanks.
He is in the service, home on leave.   I thought it could be from putting pressure on his arms when holding his rifle etc but it seems to be only in the left arm/hand.   He uses both arms equally for shooting practice.   
Any thought would be appreciated.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

YoopreMama

Re: Parethesias [Tingling, Pins & Needles]: Causes & Cures
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 10:09:17 AM »
I'm reading about something like this in my celiac book and they call it "peripheal neuropathy" (extremities not performing properly)...mild (tingling) to severe (can't hold a pen, constant pain)...that might be a search term ??? Results from infection, trauma, inflammation, autoimmune factors, or toxins/poisons.  Hope you find something!

Offline Farm Wife

• Adept
  • 24 years (still newlyweds) with 2 beautiful boys
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 11:34:08 AM »
Carpel tunnel?
Ephesian 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God, Not of works lest any man should boast. :)

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 02:15:08 PM »
Thanks ladies.  I will check into these.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 04:46:41 PM »
Mycotoxins from yeast/fungus can cause numbness &/or tingling anywhere in the body & isn't commonly recognized as being the cause. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline nc-patunia

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 02:05:57 AM »
I was canning some corn yesterday, and while I was cutting some off of the cobs my thumb and pointer finger on my right hand began to tingle. I ignored it somewhat yesterday, but they are still tingling today. There is very slight swelling, but no change of color that I can see. My husband says if this continues I am going to need to go to the doctor, but I am trying to avoid this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  ???

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 02:50:21 AM »
If this were me, I would go to the chiropractor and get my neck adjusted.  Somehow there is a connection between the neck and your arms and so when your arms tingle, then your neck is out.  Tell the chiro your symptoms and he/she'll fix you up. 8)
...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...Phil 3:7-11

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 08:38:41 AM »
Could it be carpal tunnel syndrome? 

Just a thought.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 09:44:19 AM »
The nerves in the forefinger and thumb are affected by the neck as Ami H.  mentioned.  I would second the suggestion for a visit to the chiro or D.O.

Carpal tunnel symptoms would normally include the thumb and all fingers EXCEPT the pinky.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 06:47:26 AM »
I would also massage the upper and lower arms.  There are trigger points that constrict with repetitive motion that need to be released.  Carpel Tunnel is often diagnosed when a few days of massage could release it.  If let go, the knots in the muscle will continue to tighten and then take longer to release with massage.  See if you can get the Trigger Point Therapy book from the library or ask your chiropractor if they can massage them or point them out.  Your neck may, also, very well be affecting it.  A little massage can't hurt!  Try the muscles that go from your wrist to your elbow on both sides.  If you find a knot, massage it until it almost hurts but you will feel relief in your hand!

Chels_Cary

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 07:08:50 AM »
Yep!! Go to the Chiropractor! That same thing happened to me. My fingers and hands would tingle and cramp up.... :-\ Then a week later my back went out. :o It was so bad I couldn't even move. I had a bunch of pinched nerves in my lower back. So the tingling could be a sign of your spine not functioning properly. Maybe even doing back stretches or yoga and making sure your posture is well aligned could prevent anything from seriously happening. :)

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 07:27:32 AM »
The same nerve (that travels through the vertebrae in your neck as mentioned above) could be pinched anywhere from the neck down through the shoulders or the elbow or wrist and still cause the tingling in your hands so keep that in mind as you seek treatment.  When this happens to me it is usually hormonally induced during pregnancy when my forearms and elbows and wrists must get swollen in the joints putting pressure on the nerve.  When it happens to my dh it is usually because he slep in a goofy position or had his elbow or wrists cocked funny for some reason during work (i.e. had to hold them in an odd position for a long period of time to accomplish a task or use a new tool, etc).  HTH and hope you feel more normal soon!

Offline txseawater

• Adept
  • JESUS PRESENCE~
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 04:13:05 AM »
I agree with what they're telling you. I had posted a similar question on weak muscles in my hands and arms after mowing this summer. The weakness lingered for days and reoccurred each time I mowed. I had never experienced that before, but I found it to ...go away. ??

I just posted on a topic "Husbands Legs Going Numb with Exercize" ( was that the topic?)  :P  You might find some of that interesting. I also tend to get numbness when I am gripping something hard for any length of time.

I think we all need to go through a box of Scullcap Tea !    ;D
Sea ~~~_/) ~~~

Offline AbbaJava

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 11:38:16 AM »
My mom has these symptoms: burning pains, like hot pins in the nerve endings, all over, her feet, head, hands.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 11:50:44 AM »
My mom has these symptoms: burning pains, like hot pins in the nerve endings, all over, her feet, head, hands.

Tingling (medical symptom): Abnormal nerve sensations such as pins-and-needles, tingling, burning, prickling or similar feelings are all known as "paresthesias". They usually result from nerve damage due to pressure (such as a pinched nerve), nerve entrapment, or diseases. Continued nerve damage can lead to numbness.

Paresthesias can affect various parts of the body. Hands, fingers, and feet are common sites but all are possibilities. Afflictions of specific nerves or spinal nerves can also cause paresthesias in particular skin areas of the body.

Parethesias with simple causes such as pressing on a nerve are usually reversible. Certain other nerve conditions such as peripheral neuropathy (often from diabetes), lupus complications, Guillain-Barre syndrome, or multiple sclerosis are also possible causes of parethesias. Because of the variety of possible causes, any abnormal sensation needs prompt professional medical investigation.

from http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptom/pins-and-needles.htm

Pins and needles (paraesthesia)

My mother is 71 and has recently been getting pins and needles and numbness in her fingers. They have also felt a little stiff. What could this be?

Mike

Dr Trisha Macnair responds

Dr Trisha MacnairThe medical name for pins and needles is paraesthesia, and there are a variety of possible causes.

Paraesthesia is a sign that sensory nerves in the area of the tingly sensation are being irritated (rather than motor nerves which control movement). This irritation may be the result of disease or damage to the nerves themselves, damage to the blood supply, or disease of the surrounding tissues, such as arthritis, which ultimately affects the nerves.

Pins and needles become more common as a complaint as people get older simply because it becomes increasingly likely that some sort of disease may irritate the nerves. One of the most common causes in older people is poor blood supply to the limbs because of atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries - a condition which millions of people in the developed world suffer.

Another common problem among the elderly is arthritis, which can interfere with both nerves and blood supply.

The most likely answer to your mother's symptoms is that it isn't serious and simply reflects some common changes of ageing. However, there are some causes that need to be ruled out and your mother should get her own doctor to check it out.

Nerve damage

Almost any condition that can damage nerves may cause pins and needles. In these cases the tingling can be extremely unpleasant, with a raw burning character.

Although unlikely in your mother, in younger people multiple sclerosis often begins with a prolonged episode of pins and needles for which no other cause can be found.

Other causes include:

* Vitamin deficiencies: although few people in the UK suffer from severe vitamin deficiencies, the elderly are prone to a poor diet and minor deficiencies. Check that your mother has a balanced diet and consider vitamin supplements.
    * Metabolic disorders (ranging from diabetes to changes in blood chemistry that occur during a panic attack. Both these examples are common causes of tingling in the fingers).
    * Poisoning, especially with heavy metals.
    * Infections.

Poor blood supply

Irritation of the nerves may result when their blood supply is reduced or cut off. Either by chronic disease such as atherosclerosis, intermittently (for example, in a condition called Raynaud's phenomenon where the artery goes into spasm) or acutely by sudden compression of the arteries (a classic problem is when someone gets drunk and falls asleep with their arm hanging over the edge of a chair).

Tingling is a sign that the nerve is still alive, if under threat. When the nerve dies the tingling should stop. So it may be a good warning sign to take action

from http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_the_doctor/pinsneedles.shtml

Numbness is a complete loss of feeling when you touch your skin. It may feel like the part you touch does not belong to you. Tingling is a pins-and-needles feeling that occurs when your foot "falls asleep." An occasional, slight tingling in a foot that lasts only briefly is not generally cause for concern. It is relatively common among bicyclists who ride long distances to develop numbness in the feet for a few minutes to an hour. This often occurs because of tight toe-clip straps. The problem may be prevented by loosening the straps or switching to a step-in shoe-pedal.

Many conditions may cause numbness, tingling, burning, or stinging.

* Numbness, tingling, burning, stinging, or pain that occurs between the toes, especially the third and fourth toes, and in the ball of the foot may be caused by a noncancerous growth on nerves in the foot (Morton's neuroma).
    * Numbness, tingling, or pain that begins in your back, moves down your leg and into your foot may be sciatica, caused by a pinched nerve (nerve root compression).
    * Foot and ankle pain that occurs with numbness and weakness that begins in the foot and spreads into the toes may be caused by a pinched nerve in the ankle (tarsal tunnel syndrome).
    * Burning, numbness, or lack of feeling in the feet may be caused by poor circulation to the feet. This is common in people who have diabetes or peripheral arterial disease. Poor circulation may lead to nerve damage (peripheral neuropathy).
    * Burning, pins-and-needles–type pain is common in people who use alcohol regularly because alcohol directly damages the nerves.

Numbness and tingling are more serious when:

* You have a complete loss of feeling.
    * You have symptoms of decreased blood flow, such as pale, white, blue, or cold skin.
    * You have muscle weakness not caused by pain.
    * Symptoms don't go away.
    * Symptoms go away but keep coming back.
from http://health.yahoo.com/nervous-resources/numbness-tingling-burning-or-stinging-in-the-toe-foot-or-ankle/healthwise--aa12788.html
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 03:12:57 PM »
My 7 y.o. has been bothered by tingling in his lip (some swelling) and then in his feet and fingers.  Very brief episodes.  Any thoughts?

Offline aireachail

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 09:06:30 AM »
Yooper, have you ruled out allergic reactions? I know they can cause tingling in the lips. My husband gets a mild tingling sensation when he eats avocado.

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 09:29:58 AM »
Is it possible that his spine needs an adjustment? My hands go numb when my back is out.
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

YoopreMama

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 10:32:11 AM »
Those are the 2 things I'm considering...he was chewing a pencil, I think, when the lips went tingly.  ???  And he sure hits the ground hard, being a boy...

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 05:46:14 PM »
Lyme can cause those sensations.

Offline bakermom

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 01:17:45 PM »
I get occasional numb tingly feelings in my lower rt back for the last two months.It is rt at the rib cage to the kidney.  It comes and goes and no pain.  Any thoughts?

Offline unwoeden

• Wide Eyed
    • springhill group south korea news
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 10:50:08 PM »
I have read the medical technique that uses only needle, they call it acupuncture; know in Asia and one of the traditional medicines of Korea and China.  The thin needle is inserted into the body’s acupoints and controlled to treat the patient.
...live healthy!!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 07:37:14 AM »
I have read the medical technique that uses only needle, they call it acupuncture; know in Asia and one of the traditional medicines of Korea and China.  The thin needle is inserted into the body’s acupoints and controlled to treat the patient.
Acupuncture is something entirely different than the tingly, pins and needles feeling that is classified under the medical term parasthesia.  :)

Offline drfalk

• Learning
    • Abundant Homestead-Kombucha and More!
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 11:48:26 AM »
Ladies help me figure this out.
For the last week parts of my face and right arm have been experiencing light numbness and tingling. Everyday it's been a little different. Started Monday night with partial numbness to lower right side of face. Went to the doctor on Tuesday. He had nothing but antibiotics to give and set a appt up for me to talk to a brain doctor. Went on Wednesday to brain doctor. Passed all his tests. He said the nerves behind my eyes looked healthy, but he still wanted to schedule a MRI to see if my nerves are inflamed. He did give me a grace period to see if it would go away. Everyday it's been different. On Thurday-Friday it left my right side of the face and moved over to my left cheek and slightly in my right arm. Saturday it was just mostly in my arm but I had no weakness and could function. Sunday(today) it is now in my right facial cheek and slightly more in my right arm. It is distracting and unnerving, pun unintended.
 I am 32 yrs old without anything else wrong.

Thank you all in advance.

Offline Precious

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 09:43:53 AM »
Sounds like Bell's Palsy to me.  Can you move the parts of your face that feel numb?

A vitamin B12 deficiency can cause Bell's Palsy (are you vegan or vegetarian?).  The flu vaccine and Hep B vaccine have also been associated with Bell's Palsy.