Author Topic: Homemade Wild Yam Cream: Recipes, Tips & Tricks  (Read 66423 times)

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
Re: Homemade Wild Yam Cream: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2007, 02:13:30 PM »
I ended up making an infused oil of wild yam with a bit of yarrow thrown in (mainly just because I hated having the wild yam be all alone).  I'm thinking of scenting the final salve with cinnamon (cassia) as I think it would go well.  I used a coconut oil with a splash of olive oil.
The only problem is that I have been using the oil the past few days (rubbing it over the ovary area) and I have felt as if I were on the verge of hysterics and have been severly depressed.  This could all be the result of the weather (very muggy and rainy, but hot), but I'm thinking the wild yam may not agree with me so much.  Anyone else??
BTW... I was mainly making this to sell/give away.

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2007, 04:25:07 PM »
I dont know what to tell you- I have no knowledge on the use of wild yam.

I just started making a salve with it. I soaked the wild yam until it absorbed all the water.Filled an 8 oz. jar with it, then added coconut oil right to the rim. I put the jar in a water filled crock like I always do when I make tinctures.

should this be good? When it is done (I am assuming in a day or so) Should I add olive oil to the finished, strained salve?

I am making this for my mother in law. she had a partial hysteryceomy years ago. She has been run down lately and the pharmacist told her to get on a wild yam cream cream.

Does anyone have any info. on older women taking it after menopause?
jessica
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2007, 04:38:02 PM »
The only difference is I left mine in the crockpot for 3 days. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2007, 07:16:02 AM »
I ended up making an infused oil of wild yam with a bit of yarrow thrown in (mainly just because I hated having the wild yam be all alone).  I'm thinking of scenting the final salve with cinnamon (cassia) as I think it would go well.  I used a coconut oil with a splash of olive oil.
The only problem is that I have been using the oil the past few days (rubbing it over the ovary area) and I have felt as if I were on the verge of hysterics and have been severly depressed.  This could all be the result of the weather (very muggy and rainy, but hot), but I'm thinking the wild yam may not agree with me so much.  Anyone else??
BTW... I was mainly making this to sell/give away.
you might want to decrease your dose until you get used to it.  Made me pretty cranky when I first started using it.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2007, 07:18:14 AM »
Should I add olive oil to the finished, strained salve?
It depends on whether you're going to add a preservative of some kind.  If you don't, you'll need to put it in the fridge to prevent mold and the coconut oil will harden like a rock unless you cut it with olive oil.  Out of the fridge, it will be soft enough and the plain coconut oil version is less greasy and easier to absorb.  I've done both.  HTH
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2007, 09:58:24 AM »
I would like it to be stable- what can I use to preserve it?
Jessicah

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2007, 01:30:28 PM »
you might want to decrease your dose until you get used to it.  Made me pretty cranky when I first started using it.  ;D
I didn't use it yesterday and last night started to feel back to my normal self; this AM I used only the tiniest amount and have felt great all day. 
I would like it to be stable- what can I use to preserve it?
I would am going to use what I normally do for salves... vit E oil, essential oils (cassia, I think for this one) and GSE

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2007, 03:51:39 PM »
I never heard of cassia- what is that?

Also, are you going to use all three, the cassia, vit. E and GSE?

Would grape seed crush from morethanalive work the same as GSE?
Jessicah

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2007, 04:27:10 PM »

Grapefruit Seed Crush is GSE.  It is a slightly stronger solution than a lot of others out there so be sure to modify your usage accordingly.  HTH  :)
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2007, 05:58:31 AM »

Cassia is cinnamon.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2007, 03:12:50 PM »

I ended up only using the cassia (cinnamon) essential oil and the GSE this time.  (I couldn't find the vitamin E oil in my herb cabinet ???) I used only 4 drops of the cassia per 2oz of salve because I was afraid of overpowering it with scent.  It is actually kind of weak in the cinnamon smell, but overall seems okay.

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2007, 06:59:04 PM »
my wild yam cream has been in the crock for two days, with the crock lid off.
It definitely has an aroma other than the coconut. and the coconut liquid has turn a very faint honey color.

How do I know if has been long enough?

Jessicah

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2007, 05:12:36 PM »
This is the recipe that I have used to make wild yam salve.  I combined a couple of the recipes found here to where they would be do-able for me.

I soaked the wild yam in filtered water in a glass jar for about 6 hours so that it could soak up the water.  I then stained it to remove any excess water.  I then placed the wild yam in a quart mason jar filled about 2/3 full.  I covered the herb with a mixture of coconut oil and olive oil and put it in the crockpot.  I made sure that there were several cups/quarts of water in the crock so that the mason jar was about 1/3-1/2 way submerged.  My crockpot has 3 heat settings and I kept it initially on the medium setting with a towel over the lid to seal in any extra heat.  Later the first night in the crock I topped off the oil with the olive oil as some had soaked in.  I let it "brew" for 3 full days.  The last 24 hours I added some dried yarrow (only 3 or 4 pieces) mainly just because I like adding things.  I made sure that the water level in the crockpot stayed consistent and after about 24 hours I turned it to low.  The crock water never boiled. 
After 3 full days I strained out the herbs and added beeswax,gse, and cassia.  I added 4 drops of cassia/cinnamon eo per 2 oz of salve.  The wild yam smells pretty much like sweet potatoes and I thought that a touch of cinnamon might be nice, but not overpowering.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2007, 10:02:35 AM »
I covered the herb with a mixture of coconut oil and olive oil

Do you know what ratio you used?

and put it in the crockpot.

Did you cover or seal your mason jar?  How tightly?  Did you place a towel under the jar or was glass touching glass?

I strained out the herbs and added beeswax,gse,

Do you have amounts for these?

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2007, 03:38:56 PM »
The coconut and olive oil were of equal amounts initially.  I used olive oil to top it off. 
I did not seal the mason jar, but laid the flat lid on top of the jar without the ring.  The jar sat directly in the crockpot, it was touching the bottom.  This crockpot is a 2 piece one (they may all be this way now) with a ceramic insert sitting in the heating part, so I did feel that it was buffered to a certain degree, but not completely.
I added 4-5 drops of gse per 2 oz, but did not measure the beeswax.  I believe that it was around 1/3-1/2 cup (loosely packed/grated) for 20 oz of oil.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2007, 08:35:25 AM »
The coconut and olive oil were of equal amounts initially.  I used olive oil to top it off. 
I did not seal the mason jar, but laid the flat lid on top of the jar without the ring.  The jar sat directly in the crockpot, it was touching the bottom.  This crockpot is a 2 piece one (they may all be this way now) with a ceramic insert sitting in the heating part, so I did feel that it was buffered to a certain degree, but not completely.
I added 4-5 drops of gse per 2 oz, but did not measure the beeswax.  I believe that it was around 1/3-1/2 cup (loosely packed/grated) for 20 oz of oil.
Thanks.  I made mine in the pressure cooker and I think yours is stronger (results are still pending).  The first time I made it, I actually cooked it twice with fresh yam the second time because I thought I had botched it because the pressure cooker didn't work right, but I think I actually got a stronger batch the first time because of this, so if you have a choice, I'm guessing the crock pot method will probably work the best if you're going for maximum potency from your ingredients.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2007, 06:36:26 AM »
This thread is for making wild yam cream.  Recipes, tips and tricks.  The discussion on the effects, when & why of using wild yam cream is here.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2059.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 3BoyzatHome

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2008, 09:20:47 AM »
Hey you guys
First time posting--
I read through the ENTIRE "no poo" thread---thought it was about constipation for the first dozen pages---(I'm slow sometimes!) but that led me to this thread.

I have been diagnosed w/uterine fibroids and read through that thread, too.  (DH thinks I'm going herbally freakish)

I can relate to HB's doc cause my dh is in the military and the military docs do not like herbal remidies.  They want me to go on the pill for the fibroids.  I already have a tubal ligation and don't want to complicate my matters by introducing more estrogen.   I read about the saliva test but $170 is kind of steep...

We live on organic fruit and eat only venison and halibut (we live in AK right now).  We've cut out soy, too.  But i'm interested in trying to make my own Wild Yam Cream.  I copied the recipe but don't know what gse is.  I'm planning on ordering some wild yam root and beeswax from the bulkherbstore (praise God for NGJ, btw)...but want to make the order complete.

I know this has been an old thread, so I'm hoping for any help you can send my way.

Thanks
In Him,
Samantha

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2008, 12:46:52 PM »
GSE is grapefruit seed extract and it's used only as a preservative of the cream.

If you want to try to monitor you progesterone levels, I've been watching the basal temp thread and I found that using basal temps, you might be able to figure out your progesterone levels without expensive testing.  Here's my original post, start there and read forward for the details and explanations.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1668.msg158632.html#msg158632

Also you don't have to have the beeswax.  All you need is fat and wild yam for the cream to do it's job.  The type of fats and the beeswax will only help to aid in a desired consistancy of the cream.  Personally I don't like the creams with olive oil as much because they are sticky/oily/gooey/messy, but you still get the effects of the yam if made correctly.  For consistancy I much prefered the coconut oil, but the problem there is in the storage.  GSE is supposed to keep it from growing mold but if you don't use it, you'll have to fridge it and if it gets cold,, it gets brick hard and difficult to dose out of the jar for daily use.  When I get around to making some more, I may use coconut oil and GSE  (or Vit E which is reputed to be another natural fat based preservative) only so I can keep it at room temp.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 12:50:23 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 3BoyzatHome

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2008, 07:56:50 AM »
Hey, thanks for the information!  Live and learn, eh?  I spoke w/my dh yesterday and he thinks that maybe the gyn on base here will do the hormone level tests at my request.  That'd be nice (and much cheaper for us, too!)

Love this site; thanks for the wisdom.   :)

Samantha

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2008, 05:07:36 PM »
Just thought I'd add this for future reference (the original posters may know this by now, but those new to making tinctures and salves may not).

The crock pot method makes a stronger salve because it subjects the herb (or yam, in this case) to low, slow heat.  Higher heat (like a pressure cooker or even a canner on the stovetop) will often alter the natural properties of the herb, and won't draw out as much as the crock pot method.  If you're in a hurry, and want a weaker concentration, then the stovetop/higher heat methods would do the trick.

The towel (or washcloth folded in half) on the bottom of the crock pot is to buffer the glass from direct heat contact.  It keeps the jar from getting too hot and cracking.  The water that surrounds the canning jar is the conductor or heat transfer medium...it helps the heat remain gentle and constant and conducts it up the sides of the jar.  This helps keep a nice even temperature throughout the salve, to gently and effectively extract all those compounds.  Crock pots are pretty good about holding in moisture so you don't really have to babysit it very much Just check it every 6 hours or so.  Some Crock Pots do have moisture vents now, and you'll want to watch those more closely. 

If you want to make a smaller batch, I found a baby food/bottle warmer by Avent at a yard sale for cheap.  It fits the smaller jelly jars just perfectly, and has the temperature setting just like a croc pot. It takes up way less space on the counter, and doesn't require a towel...it's designed to give gentle heat through a water bath.  It's half the size of a quart jar, so it doesn't take up much space in my cabinets.

HTH!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 06:53:28 PM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2011, 06:35:29 AM »
I have a question that needs to be answered very soon because my oil is soaking into the roots terribly fast. I have my wild yam roots in a pan on my stove on my warmer. I have olive oil and coconut oil covering the roots but this is day 3 and the oil is getting very very low. Nobody told me this would happen so now I dont know if i need to add more oil or if I have just really screwed up and wont have much oil for my salves now. :(

Also...on day one my daughter turned the warmer off that night and I didn't know it until the next morning so the oil and roots sat out on the stove and got cold. Does this matter?
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »
I don't think that the roots getting cold overnight matters.

I really don't know about adding more oil. Will you be pressing the root when you are done infusing? You may get alot of it back out. I'd be tempted to just add some more oil as well, but I have not idea if that's the right thing.