Author Topic: Homemade Laundry Soap (Detergent Free)  (Read 298971 times)

Offline queentea

• Adept
Re: Homemade Laundry Soap (Detergent Free)
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2006, 06:17:41 AM »
Okay, I have all my ingredients and I am really excited to make my first batch of laundry soap.  I hope it will save some money as I am always doing laundry with a family of seven!  My question is about how long does the process take, so that I can plan it for a day when I don't have anywhere to be...just the critical cooking and stirring time, I know that it can take up to two days to thicken up.  Thanks!!
Lisa

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2006, 06:30:49 AM »
I got all my dry ingredients together, and couldn't want to spend all that time melting it and adding heavy water to it (my kitchen and laundry are not on the same floor), so I've been using it dry- 1 T. per load. So far so good, and HB- we test it on pee every day!  ::)
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2006, 06:56:31 AM »
I GOT MY RECIPE FROM THE FAMILY HOMESTEAD.COM [MS. MILLER ,MOTHER OF EIGHT AND LOTS OF WISDOM] I HAVE BEEN BLESSED BY HER WEB SITE.
Just learn'n but pioneer at heart.
Sherri

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2006, 01:44:33 PM »
Okay, I have all my ingredients and I am really excited to make my first batch of laundry soap.  I hope it will save some money as I am always doing laundry with a family of seven!  My question is about how long does the process take, so that I can plan it for a day when I don't have anywhere to be...just the critical cooking and stirring time, I know that it can take up to two days to thicken up.  Thanks!!
Lisa

Depending on the ambient temp it will probably take a whole day of babysitting.  You can soak your soap overnight to help dissolve it, or you can cook it on low and this may take 1-3 hours (less if you soaked it before hand).  Then you mix and stir once or twice an hour until it cools to room temp.  I give mine a stir about once a week too just to break up anything that floats or settles.  I keep a stick by the bucket just for this purpose.\

If you get called away from the house and you're still babysitting, don't fret, you can fix it.  If it "boogers" up or settles too much, just reheat it a bit, stir and cool and stir again.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2006, 01:45:32 PM »
I GOT MY RECIPE FROM THE FAMILY HOMESTEAD.COM [MS. MILLER ,MOTHER OF EIGHT AND LOTS OF WISDOM] I HAVE BEEN BLESSED BY HER WEB SITE.

Would you be willing to share your recipes and results?  We're all very interested.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2006, 06:40:06 PM »
I have been using that recipe for six months now and like it better than the all free & clear that I used to use, it even got out the smoke smell in my husbands clothes during fire season.
I do use extra soap, and I do skim the soap as I put it into my washer so as not to have undissolved chunks.
I got my recipe from www.thefamilyhomestead.com and her calculations say .61 cents for 64 wash loads if I remember correctly.
Sherri
Sherri

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2006, 06:44:33 PM »
I also chop my soap with a knife to little pieces and it only takes me 30 min to make 5 gal. of soap. and it sets up over night.
Sherri
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 06:46:41 PM by SHERRI REEL »
Sherri

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2006, 06:57:12 PM »
I also chop my soap with a knife to little pieces and it only takes me 30 min to make 5 gal. of soap. and it sets up over night.
Sherri

I just read your recipe.  I think it's pretty much the same one everyone else is using or some variation of it anyway.  Glad to hear you've had good success with it.  I use 2 bars of soap to 1 cup of borax and 1 cup of washing powder.  I found I had to use way too much soap without the extra bar in the mix.

I think there are a lot of factors that must determine the effectiveness of each recipe.  The odiferousness of the individuals' clothes, climate, water hardness and my personal favorite - how good is your smeller ???  I have an uber smeller.  I can smell stuff a dog wouldn't notice.  *snicker*, and as a result, I almost choke to death walking down the soap isle in the store.  Most perfumes make me nauseous and B.O., well...let's just not go there.  LOL  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2006, 01:38:24 PM »
HB, I just noticed that the original recipe you gave only used 1 bar per 5 gal and I use 1 bar per 2 gal so when I make soap it is nice and strong.
Maybe that will help someone if not my advice is to alter it to meet there likings.
Sherri
Sherri

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2006, 01:43:50 PM »
Hey i learned from Alton Brown of Good Eats that essential oils are volatile and will just evaporate in warm or hot liquid. just thought i'd share cos i wanna add smelly good stuff to mine but someone said it didn't end up smelling like anything, but then it worked for Beka!  Sorry if you all already know this!
Kittyninja

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2006, 01:48:13 PM »
HB, I just noticed that the original recipe you gave only used 1 bar per 5 gal and I use 1 bar per 2 gal so when I make soap it is nice and strong.
Maybe that will help someone if not my advice is to alter it to meet there likings.
Sherri

Yeah, I didn't change the original recipe post (maybe I'll do that now), but I did double my soap.  I now use 2 bars for 5 gallons and it works pretty well.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 01:50:14 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2006, 01:49:28 PM »
Hey i learned from Alton Brown of Good Eats that essential oils are volatile and will just evaporate in warm or hot liquid. just thought i'd share cos i wanna add smelly good stuff to mine but someone said it didn't end up smelling like anything, but then it worked for Beka!  Sorry if you all already know this!
Kittyninja

I only wash in cold water.  Maybe Beka does too ???  Hot/warm water, I've found, sets stains, so I avoid it.  Also when we moved, hubby didn't even hook up the hot to the washer, so I can't use it anyway.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2006, 02:15:22 PM »
I recalculated my soap cost.  I edited the original post for anyone reading from start to finish, but I thought I would post it here too for anyone just reading the new stuff.

With my doubled soap, I now only need 1/2 to 3/4 cup for each load.

$ .44 / 2 bars soap        (found bulk at Walmart for $ .22 a bar)
$ .40 / 1 c Borax           ($4/box 7-8 batches from one 76 oz box)
$ .42 / 1 c WashPowd   ($3/box 6-7 batches from one 55 oz box)

5 gal water       (cost of water ??? )

$1.26 for 5 gallons of soap

5 gallons / 3/4 cup = 106 loads of clothes
$1.26/5 = $ .26 per gallon
$1.26/106 = $ .012 per load[/b][/color]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 02:33:27 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2006, 11:52:11 AM »
I went to my local grocer to the bakery dept. and asked for their icing buckets and got 5 for free and they are food grade so that's good for soap or food.
my 7yo wants to buy her bro a leapster for his b-day so she asked if she could sell laundry soap for her own $$$ to buy it for him, I thought that was great.
Sherri

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2006, 02:34:58 PM »
I went to my local grocer to the bakery dept. and asked for their icing buckets and got 5 for free and they are food grade so that's good for soap or food.
my 7yo wants to buy her bro a leapster for his b-day so she asked if she could sell laundry soap for her own $$$ to buy it for him, I thought that was great.

WOW, if you could find a market for it, you could probably sell it for $1.00 or more a gallon.  Commercial detergent costs 4 times that much.  PROFITS, yeah!
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2006, 03:18:06 PM »
Good idea!!

I made some more today. 6 gallons, 2 bars of soap, 1 1/2 cp baking/washing soda, and 3 droppers full of GSC (Grapefruit Seed Crush) and several drops each of lemon and lime oil once the mix had cooled down a bit. I skipped the borax as I want to keep my gray water friendly for the verds. (My mint is growing like crazy in the front yard this year.)

I put in the GSC for extra bacteria killing power.  ;D

I think I'll spend money (since this is so cheap) on buying more expensive soap that has a more natural list of ingredients and a natural scent. The white Ivory that I used (one bar) is just too toxic smelling for me. The second bar was a natural olive oil and rosemary bar. It smelled great.

The overall result is good, though.

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2006, 07:23:15 PM »
Did you use baking soda or washing powder this time?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2006, 01:12:15 AM »
O.k. i took the plunge and made soap. It set up pretty firm. Is that how it's supposed to be, and will it dissolve in the washer?

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2006, 01:50:40 AM »
BG, I am wondering about the cleaning power of these gentler herbal soaps. My LS is working fine on clothes and sheets, but not as well on towels and dishcloths... I'm afraid if I skip the Borax too, I'll really notice it. I used baking soda this last time, though. Did you use washing soda? I have a hard time using up my GSE in LS. Keep us posted on how well it works for you.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2006, 06:04:19 AM »
O.k. i took the plunge and made soap. It set up pretty firm. Is that how it's supposed to be, and will it dissolve in the washer?

Did you stir it??  Is it firm all the way through or just on top??  It's possible you've had some settling.  If not, it should dissolve just fine, but I do recommend putting the soap in before you put your clothes in to help prevent soap spots.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2006, 07:57:29 AM »
I guess it's technically just plain old Baking Soda. The box says "Arm and Hammer Pure Baking Soda for baking, Cleaning and Deodorizing" and then a subtitle: "Fresher, Cleaner Clothes!"

I didn't use borax, but the soap seems really strong, and gets my clothes clean. Infact, it seems stronger than the last batch I made -  maybe because there was more soap??? The olive oil and lye soap was natural, but strong.

This batch did not gel, or become thick like the first in which I used borax. Maybe borax is the thickener. This batch is just very soapy like a liquid detergent.

I put the lime and lemon oils in when the water was cool, and so they smell nice and strong.

Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2006, 08:44:02 AM »
I guess it's technically just plain old Baking Soda. The box says "Arm and Hammer Pure Baking Soda for baking, Cleaning and Deodorizing" and then a subtitle: "Fresher, Cleaner Clothes!"

So, except for the Ivory you liked it?  I actually like the smell of Ivory and it's cheep cheep cheep.  I'm just afraid I'm going to try it your way and wind up with 5 gallons that won't clean my stinking clothes.  My tribe is pretty stinky.  LOL

I like the idea of using baking soda though because I think it's even cheaper than the washing powder and then eliminating the borax would lower the cost even more more more. 

I suppose I could just keep the borax on hand and use it like I used to use bleach - very sparingly and only when necessary (sour dishrags  :-X).

Thanks BG

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2006, 01:37:08 AM »
Question -
Does Grapefruit Seed Extract actually have a grapefruit scent?  I LOOOOOVE the smell of grapefruit!!   ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2006, 05:40:49 AM »
Question -
Does Grapefruit Seed Extract actually have a grapefruit scent?  I LOOOOOVE the smell of grapefruit!!   ;D

Doesn't smell like grapefruits to me.  It comes from the seed, not the fruit.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline jessica

• Adept
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2006, 12:09:38 PM »
To those who have asked about using homemade detergent in a front loading washer, I have a front loader and I have made the recipe at the family homestead website and I do not think it works very well on anything that only lightly dirty.  That includes stinky clothes or towels and anything that has dirt on it that normally should come out in the wash.  So I am not impressed with that recipe and I have even tried making it with double the washing soda & borax with the same not good results.  I did try putting tea tree oil in one batch and it seemed to get things a tad bit cleaner, I don't knowwhy.  I am going to try the recipe everybody is using here and see if that works better, the ingredients seem to be the same just in different proportions and stirring it all day instead of letting it sit for 24 hours to gel.  hopefully it will work better, I will let you know.
Jessica

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2006, 04:34:29 AM »
OK, guys, I made my LS yesterday in liquid form instead of powder, and it did not gel at all! It is curdley (there's another new word for you, HB) and watery. I was making it for a friend, but I can't give it to her like that! She'll think "all natural, yuk!".  What did I do wrong? I did mix everything in the pot at once in a gallon of water. Did that ruin it? (It smells great, so I'll try using it).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 04:53:43 AM by dara »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2006, 07:59:02 AM »
OK, guys, I made my LS yesterday in liquid form instead of powder, and it did not gel at all! It is curdley (there's another new word for you, HB) and watery. I was making it for a friend, but I can't give it to her like that! She'll think "all natural, yuk!".  What did I do wrong? I did mix everything in the pot at once in a gallon of water. Did that ruin it? (It smells great, so I'll try using it).

Mine always curdles a little bit, but if it's all watery underneath, then your water and soap separated, so after you use the soap on top, all you'll have left is water.  I would scoop out the curds and reheat them to very hot without scalding.  Pour them back into the bucket and stir out any remaining curds or bumps and continue to stir throughout the day to keep it from separating again.  Some (very little) settling will still occur, but I just keep a stir stick close to stir it on laundry day.\

If you want to give some to a friend, put it in a detergent bottle while its still mixed (after it's cooled).  Then just tell her to shake it before she uses it.  She won't even see what it looks like before she pours it.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2006, 08:10:22 AM »
The problem I had yesterday with heating it is that when I stired it, it foamed so much it tried to climb out of the pot (and this is a big 3 gal. pot). What I have right now is a thick layer of curdles on top of a bucket of water, like you said. I might try one more time, but it's not looking hopeful. I might just have to use it up myself. Funky stuff.

Offline sew

• Learning
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2006, 08:14:25 AM »
I wouldn't have the time to make homemade soap, but store bought is expensive.  I use to use 1/2 the amount, still with good results.  Then for a baby shower, someone gave me a WONDER BALL.  You put this ball in the washer and you don't use any soap.  It softens the water and doesn't have any chemicals or smells (which botter me).  It lasts about 2 years/2,000 washes.  I can't remember how much they cost, since I bought 4 of them on sale and stuck them in my freezer.  THe web site is www.mysticwondersinc.com or 888-452-4968  The only downer is that you can't forget and put the ball in the dryer (but I don't have a dryer so. . . )

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2006, 11:35:34 AM »
The problem I had yesterday with heating it is that when I stired it, it foamed so much it tried to climb out of the pot (and this is a big 3 gal. pot). What I have right now is a thick layer of curdles on top of a bucket of water, like you said. I might try one more time, but it's not looking hopeful. I might just have to use it up myself. Funky stuff.

You probably have your heat too high.  Mine foams a bit, but not that much.
  My favorite herb book!!