Author Topic: Homemade Laundry Soap (Detergent Free)  (Read 296240 times)

Offline MadeAUTurn

• Learning
Re: Homemade Laundry Soap (Detergent Free)
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2006, 10:19:31 AM »
Hi All

I made my first batch of laundry soap this morning!!! ;D I've read several blog that say not to reuse your utensils for food preparation. I'm wondering what everyone here has been doing.

My soap was a bit grainy looking, but all in all I think it turned out alright. The recipe that I used made only 2 gallons. Has anyone tried a concentrated version?

Dona

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2006, 10:32:46 AM »
thanks layla--i made it a while back, not sure how much i used, but will try that soon.   :)
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2006, 10:36:50 AM »
I've read several blog that say not to reuse your utensils for food preparation.

I read that you can use the borax, washing soda, soap recipe to wash your dishes.  How would this be any different?  I used it to wash my dishes.  I wasn't pleased at how it cut the grease, but it did clean everything else well.  It just doesn't make any bubbles.  The water just looks like bath water after using a lot of soap, cloudy. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 10:47:20 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2006, 05:21:47 AM »
HB- will a five gallon bucket stay nice until it is all used up? It doesn't have any preservatives in it, so I'm wondering if it gets yucky with age (a few weeks in the basement...)
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2006, 07:37:06 AM »
HB- will a five gallon bucket stay nice until it is all used up? It doesn't have any preservatives in it, so I'm wondering if it gets yucky with age (a few weeks in the basement...)

I made mine on April 10th and it's still good, I just have to stir occaissionally to mix up the soap floating on top.  I've never made it before this, so I can't tell you if it will last any longer.  I am almost out, so I'm going to have to make another batch.  Seems I've been doing A LOT of laundry this month.   :-\

I'm not going to make 5 gallons this time though (unless I have to).  I'm going to use 1/3 the water called for in the recipe and make it super condensed for easier use.  Hopefully, it will fit in my old detergent bottle that I saved.  I'm not sure if it will work though.  I'm a bit concerned about it becoming to much like gelatin.  We'll see.   ::)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 07:39:30 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline jeasterb

• Learning
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2006, 09:34:58 AM »
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone that has tried this recipe in a front load washer that takes HE (High Efficiency) soap?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2006, 10:04:42 AM »
I'm not going to make 5 gallons this time though (unless I have to).  I'm going to use 1/3 the water called for in the recipe and make it super condensed for easier use.

I made 5 gallons (go figure).  I hate change.  *snicker*.  Anyway I did add an extra bar of soap and the soap is much thicker, so I only have to use one cup instead of two for each load.  Major improvement.  I get double the loads for $.50. 

Also, I just poured my new soap in on top of what was left of my first batch (about 1/2 gallon left) and mixed them together.  No problems.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 3boysmyjoys

• Adept
  • My Three Boys And My Joy
    • Contenders for the Faith
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2006, 07:39:32 PM »
I just made some laundry soap.  It turned out good without any "boogers".  It is very runny, though. Is that the way it is suppossed to be?  Someone said theirs jelled.  I did use regular baking soda instead of washing soda.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2006, 07:47:41 PM »
I just made some laundry soap.  It turned out good without any "boogers".  It is very runny, though. Is that the way it is suppossed to be?  Someone said theirs jelled.  I did use regular baking soda instead of washing soda.

I've made two batches and the first was almost like water but it worked well.  The second batch I decided to add an extra bar of soap as Beka did and it came out more like liquid detergent and it takes about half the amount I was using before.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2006, 03:25:29 AM »
it probably has something to do with the baking soda.   ???  though i've not made it liquid.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2006, 07:04:45 AM »
Hey, HB, did you make it without Borax?  I can't find it down here (Brazil) and would like to try some homemade laundry soap this afternoon.  Also, could one use real lemon juice instead of the essential oils?  I have ordered some oils but, they won't be here for a couple of weeks.
Thanks for any and all info.
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2006, 09:11:16 AM »
Beka made hers without Borax.  She said it worked fine.  I wouldn't recommend lemon juice though.  I'm not sure, but I think you'd have some trouble with it spoiling.  Beka used lemon oil which might be a better choice or you could just use the soap and nothing else.  That's how they did it in the olden days.

CLICK HERE.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2006, 09:16:22 AM »
Did Beka make a new batch w/o Borax? I thought she said she made hers with baking soda instead of washing soda, but with Borax. Hmmm.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2006, 09:30:33 AM »
Did Beka make a new batch w/o Borax? I thought she said she made hers with baking soda instead of washing soda, but with Borax. Hmmm.

You're right, she said she was going to try it that way next, but still in the olden days, soap flakes were just that, "FLAKES of SOAP".   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2006, 06:04:32 PM »
Hey Gals,
Well in case anyone is interested, I DID make the soap w/o the borax. 8)  I used two cups of baking soda with two bars of Dove (they were kind of small), and 4 1/2 gal. of water.  It took 2 or 3 days to thicken but washes and cleans just fine.  Today I got my essence oils in the mail and put some orange and lemon in the remaining half of the soap.  Could not tell a big difference in the scent though so, maybe I'll put some more in tomorrow.  I am really happy about the price difference!!  It is fun to save when it is so easy! ;)
Have a nice night!
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2006, 06:17:50 AM »
Well in case anyone is interested, I DID make the soap w/o the borax. 8)  I used two cups of baking soda with two bars of Dove (they were kind of small), and 4 1/2 gal. of water.  It took 2 or 3 days to thicken but washes and cleans just fine. 
How much do you have to put in each load.  Have you tested it on the really stinky stuff yet?

I've found that mine cleans cat urine without pretreating.  This is a huge deal, because in the past, we've found no other product on the market which will do this.  A cat tinkled on my favorite leather coat about 5 years ago and the leather cleaners wouldn't even take it, because they claimed they couldn't get it out, so we washed it, pretreated it with enzyme cleaners, etc, etc.  Nothing took it out.  I'm getting ready to wash it again with my new soap because I just washed something else with this horrible smell and it took it right out.  I'm excited.  I'll get to wear my fancy coat again (Christmas gift from hubby).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2006, 08:52:44 AM »
I think at some point I read this but now I can't seem to find it on this thread....
How much vinegar is needed as a fabric softener for a full load?  Also, can I use the cheap white vinegar or is another kind better?                  ~L

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2006, 06:45:01 PM »
I think at some point I read this but now I can't seem to find it on this thread....
How much vinegar is needed as a fabric softener for a full load?  Also, can I use the cheap white vinegar or is another kind better?                  ~L

White vinegar is recommended by most websites.  I started using ACV until I realized how much cheaper the white stuff is.  They both work very well.  As far as how much, I recommend you invest in a Downy ball.  It takes about 1-2 T to fill the ball to the marker line and then just throw it in and go.  It's fabulous - best 2.50 I've spent on laundry.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2006, 03:30:39 AM »
Hey Gals,
While the soap is still a little runny I use two cups.  When it thickens just one.  However, for the really stinky stuff as you put it, I soak in ammonia before I wash. ;)  I don't know if it is the humidity down or what but if things don't get really clean the first time and they go in the dryer, it is awful when you start sweating (especially my MAN) :-X.  But I must say I LOVE THIS SOAP!!!  It is soooooooo cheap and it really does clean.  One 500 gram bag of powder (about 2 large loads) cost $1.25!!!  So this is big thing with my MAN 8).  He is very impressed.  Just made my second batch yesterday and it thickend faster because I heated up all the water not just half of it. ::) 
Have a GREAT day!
Lisa
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline yanceysemdj

• Learning
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2006, 12:00:41 PM »
My husbands shirts smell after they're washed too (he works hard) unless I put about 3/4 cup of baking soda per large load.
Happy to be Mrs. Yancey and mom to Stephan 20, Elizabeth 19, Matthew 17, David 5, James - waiting for us in the arms of our Saviour, Anna 2, Faith- with the Lord, and ?? (anticipated January 2010)

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2006, 12:42:33 PM »
Hey gals, I am reading this thread with great interest. I've been getting more interested in making stuff for our home and making laundrey soap seems right up my alley! As a child I'd always mix all my mom's lotions and cosmetics together into some terrible "beauty" concoctions. My question is, how does this do on bright colors? I'm planning to put up a clothesline and I know the sun will fade my clothes if they are left out there too long...will this homemade laundry soap fade or protect colors, or do neither? Right now I buy the 80 washes for $5 stuff from Walmart and I'm pretty sure it's rough on my colors. Also, what is the unit cost per wash load? I have not seen that broken down yet.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2006, 01:28:45 PM »
My question is, how does this do on bright colors? I'm planning to put up a clothesline and I know the sun will fade my clothes if they are left out there too long...will this homemade laundry soap fade or protect colors, or do neither?

My colors are doing just fine.  Even my blacks, but I've only been using it for about 3 months.

Right now I buy the 80 washes for $5 stuff from Walmart and I'm pretty sure it's rough on my colors. Also, what is the unit cost per wash load? I have not seen that broken down yet.

I broke this down earlier in the thread.  It's on another page.  CLICK HERE.

Since I did the cost breakdown, I've started using 2 bars of soap for a more concentrated version, but I found 12 bars of soap for $3.50 at Walmart.  So that brings my price per bar of soap down to about 29 cents per bar times 2.  This would make the price per batch 58 cents instead of 50 cents.  If you leave out the borax or substitute baking soda for washing soda as Beka did, you'll save even more, but I'm pretty happy with my soap the way it is.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 01:34:42 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2006, 05:33:16 PM »
How much do you have to put in each load.  Have you tested it on the really stinky stuff yet?

I've found that mine cleans cat urine without pretreating.  This is a huge deal, because in the past, we've found no other product on the market which will do this.  A cat tinkled on my favorite leather coat about 5 years ago and the leather cleaners wouldn't even take it, because they claimed they couldn't get it out, so we washed it, pretreated it with enzyme cleaners, etc, etc.  Nothing took it out.  I'm getting ready to wash it again with my new soap because I just washed something else with this horrible smell and it took it right out.  I'm excited.  I'll get to wear my fancy coat again (Christmas gift from hubby).

Hi HB--did you get your leather coat clean?  i'm assuming it doesn't go in the washing machine.  i have some really nice luggage with cat pee on it.  would like to try your method if it worked!  thanks!

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2006, 06:29:09 PM »
My mom taught me a long time ago how to make homemade laundry soap.  We used basically the same recipe you've got but we never mixed it in water first.  We found that Fels Naptha bars grated finer than Ivory.  I think the key is to use very hot water in the wash.  Also, I found I had to add a spoonful of something like Oxiclean to help get hubby's socks and baby's clothes really white.  You can also boil whites in water with lemon slices to get them clean.

One thing about the vinegar that you have to watch out for is that it sets dyes and stains.  So if you accidentally put your red shirt in with hubby's white undies, and use vinegar for the rinse, well poor guy is stuck with pink.  But this property is nice if you rinse your new clothes in vinegar before wearing/washing them the first time -- the dyes will set better. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2006, 07:34:03 PM »
Hi HB--did you get your leather coat clean?  i'm assuming it doesn't go in the washing machine.  i have some really nice luggage with cat pee on it.  would like to try your method if it worked!  thanks!

Oh, WOW, I forgot.  Tis the season to go coatless and I spaced it off.  I have actually washed it in the washing machine about 5 times.  After the cat peed on it, I figured "what have I got to lose?".  The washer didn't hurt it at all.  I'll try that soon and let you know.

Have you ever tried "OUT, Pet Stain and Odor Remover" from WalMart?  It works on most things.  For some reason it didn't work on my coat, but when my Cricket (my 6-toed nuisance cat) was adolescing, he started spraying the air conditioner vents when he discovered this would perfume the entire house.  The OUT took care of the vents with only two treatments.  It also worked on our carpets, furniture and most clothing.  It cost about $3.50 for a regular spray bottle.  The trick is, that you have to saturate the stain completely and then let it dry completely in order to kick it.  It's an enzyme spray that actually eats the odor away.  It's pretty awesome stuff.  We have 3 cats, so we always keep a bottle of it around. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 07:38:47 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2006, 12:56:46 AM »
Am repeating a question some one asked earlier. Don't know if i missed the answer or what, but has anyone used the homemade soap on high efficiency washers? Thanks

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2006, 05:26:20 AM »
Have you ever tried "OUT, Pet Stain and Odor Remover" from Wal-Mart?
I can vouch for what HB said.  We brought some of that to Brasil with us to treat some furniture that was sprayed over a year before we were able to treat it, AND IT WORKED!  I only have about 1 bottle's worth left but, the male cats are fixed now so I think it will last me until the next furlough (2009).  Anyway, this stuff really works.
Lisa
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2006, 06:02:16 AM »
Am repeating a question some one asked earlier. Don't know if i missed the answer or what, but has anyone used the homemade soap on high efficiency washers? Thanks

What's a high efficiency washer?  And how would I know if I have one?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2006, 06:38:03 AM »
It's a front loader. Takes one third of the water and soap.  Mine's a Whirlpool, Neptune.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2006, 10:33:09 AM »
It's a front loader. Takes one third of the water and soap.  Mine's a Whirlpool, Neptune.

The homemade soap doesn't make lots of suds, so I would just try (if it were my machine, that is) using 1/3 cup of the soap I made with 2 bars soap, 5 gallons water, (optional 1 cup borax and 1 cup washing powder or baking soda).
  My favorite herb book!!