Author Topic: All About Birth Control  (Read 217959 times)

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: All About Birth Control
« Reply #600 on: August 09, 2009, 04:03:55 PM »
floydian, I tried to find some actual research on the web that wasn't filled with a bunch of other nonsense that I don't particularly care to recommend and couldn't find anything right off the cuff.   Sorry. 

My midwife had a magazine article many years ago with some research about the spermicide effect of an acidic solution, like acv or lemon juice.   Since the commercial preparations weren't something we wanted to use, we decided to use the acidic solutions.   Never did check with a microscope, but . . . .   ::)  seemed to work. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #601 on: August 09, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »
I was just doing a little googling myself on similar issues, and I did find something referring to lemon juice as being a sperm imobilizer (this is what the wikipedia spermicide article described it as).

This article has more on its use historically as a spermicide.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2910

But please, don't take this as a personal testimony...I've never tried it. :)

More historical spermicidal options (according to http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761588849/spermicide.html )

"One of the earliest mentions of spermicide appears in the Ebers Papyrus, a medical guide written in 1550 bc. The guide suggested that a lint tampon medicated with a mixture of acacia tree leaves, dates, and honey would prevent pregnancy. Acacia leaves break down into lactic acid, which today is recognized as a spermicide. Other substances once used as spermicides include lemon juice, vinegar, soap solutions, cocoa butter, and crocodile and elephant dung."

crocodile and elephant dung...really?
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #602 on: August 09, 2009, 05:12:57 PM »
http://www.ehow.com/how_2160941_juice-as-birth-control-alternative.html
How to use lemon juice as a birth control method.

and Dr. Mercola weighs in (at the bottom of the article)
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2002/10/26/lemons.aspx
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #603 on: August 10, 2009, 04:09:21 AM »
cocoa butter, and crocodile and elephant dung."

I think I'll pass!   :P  :D ;D :D
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #604 on: August 10, 2009, 07:04:41 AM »
Other substances once used as spermicides include lemon juice, vinegar, soap solutions, cocoa butter, and crocodile and elephant dung."

Actually, I think they got a little confused. The crocodile and elephant dung wasn't used as a spermicide, but rather as a very, very effective deterrent. It was the desperate man, indeed, who persisted in spite of the crocodile dung!  ;D
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #605 on: August 10, 2009, 11:15:24 AM »
i use manuka honey with my diaphragm. there is a diaphragm and caps yahoo group that gives info on that... also how to use other natural spermicide alternatives. http://groups.yahoo.com/adultconf?dest=%2Fgroup%2FDiaphragmsAndCaps%2F

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #606 on: August 12, 2009, 05:25:43 AM »
man none of those options sound too nice...I've sprayed diluted vinegar down there before and thought I was having a baby!  :o  I think Praire child is right about the dung being a deterent!!! that is toooooo funny!! and gross, I don't think I want to know any more about that!!!

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #607 on: August 29, 2009, 05:47:54 PM »
yes, more info please. :) I mentioned this to a friend and she also couldn't get into the group...

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #608 on: August 30, 2009, 04:40:19 PM »
Yes, it is only a certain kind of honey. Manuka honey with umf of 16 or higher. I buy mine at vitacost. No, it doesn't cause yeast issues as it is considered to be medicinal honey, antiviral and antifungal.

you have to join the group to access it, it is a women's only group.

btw, you have to actually use it for it to work... I'm pregnant now, but it certainly wasn't the diaphragms fault. :D

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #609 on: August 30, 2009, 04:51:44 PM »
Here is a link that gives a general idea of how the honey cap works...http://thewelltimedperiod.blogspot.com/2007/05/honey-cap.html

Here is a cut and paste of some detailed info from the yahoo group...

in regards to the use of honey, would you coat the D
in the honey, if not storing in the honey, then insert it? and I was
reviewing the files section, as per Q&A, if using honey it is good
for 72 hours?

Trevor says 72 hours is the accepted standard in Europe.

per your MD Trevor. And his anwser in the Q and A
wasn't clear, does MORE honey need to be added after each act? and
how would you get the honey up there?

No, you would not need to add any additional honey for the entire 72
hours. It is acceptable to do this, but the diaphragm must be stored
and kept in honey for 12 hours in between uses to kill bacterial and
to gather enough honey to act as a spermicide. Then the diaphragm is
inserted without washing and can be worn for the 72 hours. After
removing the diaphragm it should be rinsed and replaced into the
honey for minimum 12 hours. Trevor says many honey users need two
diaphragms and two honey jars for this reason.

Regarding the AVLJ spermicide, it is not advisable to substitute
limes for lemons simply because there have not been any tests to
determine if using a lime as active ingredient is effective.

Please feel free to ask questions anytime you have them.

Jennifer

Offline pelican

• Learning
« Reply #610 on: July 29, 2010, 01:35:05 AM »
Prairie Child, do you actually buy the honey cap that is impregnated with honey from the UK or elsewhere or do you use the diaphragm from a local gyn. and just use it with honey?  Do you also keep it in the honey or only add when it will be used?

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #611 on: July 29, 2010, 11:40:04 AM »
I'm curious how the honey effects anyone w/ yeast infections???

Offline pelican

• Learning
« Reply #612 on: July 29, 2010, 03:05:21 PM »
Bump.....Anyone else with any experience with this? 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #613 on: March 22, 2012, 04:35:21 AM »
I am "reviving" this thread. DH and I are going to have to do something after this baby comes and are looking at ALL our options. Basically we've narrowed it down to 2. Vasectomy or NFP.  We would go with NFP hands down but pregnancy is not an option. So we lean toward vas BUT are concerned about the long term affects. SO all you out there that have gone this route can you please tell me if you have had long term (I'm thinking REALLY long term) affects. Like 20 and 30,40,50 years. Concerns are but not limited to : prostate cancer, impotency, on going pain,pregnancy risk. I have read all 21 pages of this post so I am looking for any new info. And please don't blast me with your "spiritual" answers. Just facts please.

this question certainly warrants it's own discussion.  i split it and moved it here.

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,28865.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #614 on: August 29, 2012, 03:44:13 PM »
First off I want to say I just FOUND A LADY COMP ON EBAY FOR $135 BUY IT NOW. I also went to www.allofcraigs.com and www.amazon.com Lots of these places have some that or 200 or 300 buy it now but on ebay I saw more than one starting bids off at around 100 dollars.

Secondly, I have seven children and have learned a bit about natural spacing of my children. My seventh child is about a year and a half and I just got my period back. This is not always so with the other children, as sometimes I get my cycle back sooner, and I have found a direct link between how my child is raised and how quickly my fertility comes back.

For the longest spacing I do ALL of the following....
NEVER give the baby ANY solids or liquids until THEY want the food and reach for it.
I always SLEEP with my baby until they are done nursing.
I NEVER, unless it is a VERY special occassion, get a baby sitter. The baby is WITH ME. Day and night.

If any of these things start to slip I will likely ovulate and start my cycle again. I think this is where many women make mistakes and say nursing does not work. (Not all- just many women give it a bad rap) You have to do all three. Pumping so you can work or go someplace even once a week is dangerous! Getting a sitter for a few hours here and there is not advised. Baby has to be in bed with me (I don't know why... my body just knows)

Yes, it does get frustrating at times to have a baby in bed tossing around- get a bigger bed- we live in the USA and have that luxery LOL

And I would like to say I AM VERY, VERY, VERY fertile. Like usually I only have 1 to 3 cycles before I am pregnant again. I have seven children aged 15 down to 1. Some closer together than others and always directly affected by how I raised them as babies.

Hope that helps someone....
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].