Author Topic: All About Birth Control  (Read 228336 times)

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
Re: All About Birth Control
« Reply #180 on: October 24, 2006, 11:09:17 AM »
I haven't tried it; I just take my temp and chart it along with my cervical fluid.  It would be cool to have, but an unnecessary expense for us.  I did start using fertility friend online for free.  I'm pretty sure I heard about here on WTM.  It's pretty cool, but since I'm bf'ing, my cycles are pretty erratic, and so it's not sure when to predict my fertile days or the day my period will start.  I imagine the online thing and lady comp both are more accurate once you've established a few regular cycles for the computer to compare.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2006, 11:57:51 AM »
So is everyone that has the LadyComp happy with it?  I am very interested in getting one, but it is quite the investment.  :o  I knew that it had been mentioned that it was expensive, but expensive was about half of what the price actually is to me.  So, is it worth it?  I'm trying to find something that both DH and I can agree upon.  Maybe your input will help him.

DH and I are planning on talking about getting one soon.  I will repost if we do get one and hopefully share some insight about whether we like it or not.  I do know that many places will allow you to pay interest fee monthly installment payments over a year's time.  I think it averages out to about $37 per month.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline livin4him

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #182 on: October 24, 2006, 02:41:18 PM »
Know I'm jumping in the middle of things here... what about "children are an heritage of the Lord ,and the fruit of the womb is HIS REWARD!!"(emphasis mine) or "the LORD opens and closes the womb''? I feel that Christians should not "limit" God- if God opens the womb- who are we to try to control it? I know very few families who feel this way- but am greatful for each one . Who of you don't want as many rewards(children) as God will give you?  Not me . May the LORD show you his will in each area of your lives :) :) :)

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #183 on: October 24, 2006, 03:33:51 PM »
Don't forget about our husband's feelings about the subject, and a woman's blessed position under his authority (and protection!) regardless of anyone's convictions about the subject. 

Offline Mrs. Davis

• Mrs. Davis
  • Adept
    • New Life Birth Services
« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2006, 05:05:25 AM »
Know I'm jumping in the middle of things here... what about "children are an heritage of the Lord ,and the fruit of the womb is HIS REWARD!!"(emphasis mine) or "the LORD opens and closes the womb''? I feel that Christians should not "limit" God- if God opens the womb- who are we to try to control it?

You know, I felt that strongly about 3 children ago.  I was saying the very same thing.  We now have eleven children and I know that they are all a blessing and a reward.  However, I am tired.  My body is tired as well.  My DH and I have decided that for us to know my cycle and time relations around that is the best thing for our relationship and our family at this point.  We could never do anything permanent or chemical, but just avoiding relations during certain times is something we both agree on and have prayed about. 

I wonder how many people with lots of children never have s*x because they are afraid of pregnancy.  They might say they are trusting God, but honestly, having relations when you already have a house full and are tired anyway is scary thing.  It would be tempting to avoid each other in that area all together if you had no idea of how a woman's body works.

I really think the Lord wants EACH couple to seek Him on the matter CONSTANTLY.  That is what is important.   Strong marriages and healthy families bring glory to Him.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2006, 05:07:50 AM »
Know I'm jumping in the middle of things here... what about "children are an heritage of the Lord ,and the fruit of the womb is HIS REWARD!!"(emphasis mine) or "the LORD opens and closes the womb''? I feel that Christians should not "limit" God- if God opens the womb- who are we to try to control it? I know very few families who feel this way- but am greatful for each one . Who of you don't want as many rewards(children) as God will give you? Not me . May the LORD show you his will in each area of your lives :) :) :)

This portion of the topic was already discussed quite extensively earlier in the post.  You may want to read some of it, if you are interested.

Might I re-emphasize the point made earlier that wives are to be subject to their husbands in this decision.  You are protected by your husband's authority.  So trust him and trust God to lead your husband rightly.

I believe that there is room for differing opinions on the matter, but the line must be drawn when trying to convince a person that they are doing the wrong thing by following their husband's judgement.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 05:12:28 AM by joyfullyhis »

Offline Charis

• Adept
« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2006, 06:06:20 AM »
So is everyone that has the LadyComp happy with it?  I am very interested in getting one, but it is quite the investment.  :o  I knew that it had been mentioned that it was expensive, but expensive was about half of what the price actually is to me.  So, is it worth it?  I'm trying to find something that both DH and I can agree upon.  Maybe your input will help him.

OK so I love my LadyComp. $37 a month not bad. Works out to be what birth control usually costs anyway. Just a word of advice.......don't have sex when the light is yellow unless you wish to be prego or you use some other sort of contraceptive that day to prevent pregnancy. ::) ::) ;D
"Momma can I have some fruit? I think my body needs some vitamin C." -Madelyn 5

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #187 on: October 25, 2006, 06:25:28 AM »
Thanks so much!  We talked a lot about it last night and I think we have just about decided to go for it.  Thanks for the tip on the yellow light.  ;)  It sounds like you are speaking from personal experience.   ;D  ;D
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #188 on: October 25, 2006, 08:47:46 AM »
Hey Charis, I am curently nursing my 7 mo. old son and have not had a cycle in 3 years because of pregnancy or breastfeeding.  My husband is currently taking the NEEM oil, and we are going to invest in a LadyComp.  Should I wait until my cycle returns to purchase one? 

We have been advised that we shouldn't have any more bio-kids (for my health) and my husband and I feel we should adopt the rest anyway.  So I don't want to get prego the first time I ovulate post-partum (like I did with baby #2, hence no cycle).  But with baby #2 my first ovulation was 12 mos. after he was born--- so it could still be another 6 mos. or more before I ovulate.  I have checked the site and know they offer technical support the first year free of charge, and I don't want to waste that on time I am not really fertile. 

Does that make sense?  Would you wait?  Thanks!

PS  I think some people's quivers may be smaller than others... just a thought.  :)
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #189 on: October 25, 2006, 09:19:37 AM »
PS I think some people's quivers may be smaller than others... just a thought. :)

I tend to agree :)

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2006, 09:39:23 AM »
 so I just use NFP (We are Catholic)

I used NFP until I got pregnant and that was the end of that.  I thought it was a great system to get pregnant with, but not for birth control.  There were few times that the charting allowed for relations to occur and that was not good for marriage.  I am one of the fortunate ones that lactation is my birth control until I wean or I should say, I have to wean in order to get pregnant.
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline Charis

• Adept
« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2006, 10:45:44 AM »
Hey Charis, I am currently nursing my 7 mo. old son and have not had a cycle in 3 years because of pregnancy or breastfeeding.  My husband is currently taking the NEEM oil, and we are going to invest in a LadyComp.  Should I wait until my cycle returns to purchase one? 

We have been advised that we shouldn't have any more bio-kids (for my health) and my husband and I feel we should adopt the rest anyway.  So I don't want to get prego the first time I ovulate post-partum (like I did with baby #2, hence no cycle).  But with baby #2 my first ovulation was 12 mos. after he was born--- so it could still be another 6 mos. or more before I ovulate.  I have checked the site and know they offer technical support the first year free of charge, and I don't want to waste that on time I am not really fertile. 

Does that make sense?  Would you wait?  Thanks!

PS  I think some people's quivers may be smaller than others... just a thought.  :)

Yes you need to wait for your cycle to return. I talked to the service rep about this very question. I know it's a long time to wait, but necessary for the temp readings to accurately chart ovulation days. I ordered mine from www.naturalmethods.com Susan is the service lady and is very helpful. I just love that I'm going to wake up to an alarm anyway so this is nice. It has a clock that stays lit when you have it plugged in. I finally had my own alarm clock! It has a very nice alarm sound unlike my husbands. :P Hope you like it as much as me. Read the instruction book really good. Entering  your BMI is tricky but I just emailed Susan and she walked me through it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 10:48:35 AM by Charis »

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #192 on: October 25, 2006, 10:57:33 AM »
Awesome!  Thanks; that was very informative.  I'm sure I'll dig it.  We did the regular thermometer and write down your body temp every morning for 2 mos and got prego with number one.  I'm not really good with numbers... or charting... and my cycles are irregular.   But I like to say "G-d had other plans".  It makes me sound less ditzy!   ;)

Offline Elizab04

• Adept
« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2006, 11:46:34 AM »

I used NFP until I got pregnant and that was the end of that.  I thought it was a great system to get pregnant with, but not for birth control.  There were few times that the charting allowed for relations to occur and that was not good for marriage.  I am one of the fortunate ones that lactation is my birth control until I wean or I should say, I have to wean in order to get pregnant.

The Couple to Couple League has a great NFP program.  They also teach and emphasize how to build your relationship and be intimate with your spouse during abstinate times.  I haven't yet used the program myself, but have heard and read about it.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2006, 01:32:48 PM »
We just recently started NFP taught by the couple to couple league. This is different from the natural family program we "tried" ;) before. Give NFP through C_C_L  a try if you are wanting BC without herbs/drugs/orchemicals.
It is a lot of abstinence especially since we do NOT need to get pregnant with the health things we are going through, BUT even my dh says it is better than using BC that we didn't feel totally comfortable with. After a weird surprise pregnancy/miscarriage despite two forms of BC we feel more comfortable with this. According to your own conscience you can find ways to take care of dh.

The Couple to Couple League has a great NFP program.  They also teach and emphasize how to build your relationship and be intimate with your spouse during abstinate times.  I haven't yet used the program myself, but have heard and read about it.

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2006, 01:36:57 PM »
Rebekah,
I am sending you a personal message because I wasn't sure if you would notice a random post.   You said that you and Gabe were using the Neem oil, and now I've noticed that you are expecting, CONGRATULATIONS!!!  I was wondering if you were "suprised" by this pregnancy or if the Neem oil worked as long as you were using it?  We are also expecting, #5, and I get severe morning sickness and dh thinks this might be the last time the family can endure it.  We are both personally opposed to getting the surgery for either of us, as well as using the pill or anything abortificant, and so we're trying to check out our options before we are in need of something.  Would love to hear your experience with the Neem.  Feel free to copy and paste this in a thread if you want to share publically.  Thanks for your time, Mrs. H

Just an update and clarification. My husband took Neem oil in capsules for 18 months, during which time I ovulated every month, while nursing our last baby. We also kept to the timing method during my peak ovulation days as best we could tell - I didn't always know for sure. I believe I was off once or twice, but mostly succeeded in knowing when I was ovulating. The last month he took Neem, I'm pretty sure we came together when I was near my peak day of ovulation, but no pregnancy resulted.

He stopped taking Neem oil in April of 2005. Six weeks later I conceived with this current pregnancy. I expected it to take another month or so for the Neem to be out of his system enough to allow for conception, but the six weeks were obviously sufficient. We did want another child, and so the pregnancy was not really a surprise.

I believe the Neem does work, but also plan to continue with the timing method as well after this pregnancy, as double insurance.

As a side benefit, the Neem oil successfully combatted and destroyed a long-term systemic blood infection that kept recurring whenever Gabe sustained an open wound. He was very healthy and disease resistant during that 18 months, which may be incidental, or it may have been the Neem oil.

There is more information about the effects of Neem oil as a birth control earlier in this thread for those of you who joined the discussion recently.

-Rebekah
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 01:39:13 PM by BeeyoutifulGirl »
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2006, 01:55:24 PM »
Thanks for clarifying the timing, Rebekah. When you posted about the pregnancy I tried to estimate and was wondering if the neem worked at all ;D
Maybe we could try neem. I had pretty much written it off ;D I guess I should have just asked!

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #197 on: October 25, 2006, 02:20:41 PM »
Quote from: BeeyoutifulGirl
He stopped taking Neem oil in April of 2005. Six weeks later I conceived with this current pregnancy.

-Rebekah

WOW that is one long pregnancy :D,  You give the elephant a run for her money ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 03:48:10 AM by healthybratt »

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2006, 02:29:04 PM »
Woops - LOL. No doubt. Yeah, it was obviously 2006.

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline russiabear

• Learning
« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2006, 08:01:51 PM »
Where is a good place to order Neem Oil?  Back on page one you mentioned www.organixsouth.com

They have pure Neem oil 1fl. oz. for $10.95 - is that what you're talking about?  And just take 2-3 drops per day?

I'd like to order some and was just wondering where...?
Thanks!

Offline mrsjtwalker

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #200 on: October 26, 2006, 09:13:46 AM »

I haven't posted here before, but thought I'd offer my experience about Ladycomp.  My husband and I used Ladycomp successfully after my daughter's birth for about 10 months.  I am a, "fertile myrtle," let me tell ya, so I know that it was effective!    :)   I conceived our first baby 2 weeks into our marriage while using NFP lazily, and sometimes condoms.  After that we got our Ladycomp and used condoms only on the, "red light" days (for those unfamiliar with the device, it gives green lights for, "safe" days, yellow lights for, "cautious" days, and red lights for, "fertile" days, which for me were only 3 or 4 per month).  We usually just treated the yellow lights like green lights after the first month or two, and still had success.  The very first that month we ignored the red light, I got pregnant!

I should mention, I have always tended to have irregular cycles, and this device still worked well for me.  I purchased a refurbished one from www.naturalmethods.com and saved over $100.  For me, though, even the price of a new one would have been worth it, because it literally does all the work of charting for you, and all you do is take your temperature early in the morning, and then go back to sleep if you want.

I don't have experience to support this, since I was unable to nurse my firstborn past 8 weeks, but my guess is that Ladycomp would work for a nursing mother whose cycles have returned, though it would probably have a larger margin of error.  It works based on your body's patterns, so it should be able to tell, based on your BBT, if you're ovulating, regardless of whether you're nursing or not.  It might take a couple of months following your pregnancy to be accurate, though.

Sorry I can't give more experience . . . after my 2nd baby was born 15 months ago, I wanted another right away, so we didn't use the Ladycomp at all.  It still took me a year to get pregnant (I'm due May 2nd), but I was nursing exclusively for 8 months, and then still frequently until his first birthday, so not too surprising about the delayed fertility.  If it were up to me, after the research I've been doing lately about neem as a male contraceptive, and then reading this wonderful thread, I'd rather go that route, just because it's less work and you'd never, in theory, need to watch for fertile days.

HTH!

-  Lauren

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #201 on: October 26, 2006, 11:54:47 AM »
Thanks, Lauren.  I have always had irregular cycles, too.  I mean irregular.  Like, 6 mos. and no cycle (before I got married so there was no chance of pregnancy).  I am a small build, so that probably has something to do with it, but it's nice to know that the LadyComp isn't going to tell me "Error" because I'm irregular.  Congrats, too, on your pregnancy! 

Offline russiabear

• Learning
« Reply #202 on: October 30, 2006, 06:03:01 AM »
*bump*
ShabbyChic or anyone else taking Neem oil..
Where do you buy yours??  I would like to order some this week and have found several places on-line... is organixsouth a good place??   Is 100% Neem oil and 100% Neem seed oil the exact same thing??  Confused..

Thanks!  I mean this is NOT something I want to buy the wrong stuff for! ;D ha!

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #203 on: October 30, 2006, 06:55:38 AM »
It is almost decided...we are probably going to buy the ladycomp.  Those of you who use it, where did you purchase yours from?  I would like to get the best deal, and I hear there are some places who will allow you to pay for it over a year?  So any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Offline Charis

• Adept
« Reply #204 on: October 30, 2006, 07:05:05 AM »

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #205 on: October 30, 2006, 09:42:02 AM »
Natural Methods seems to be the best place to buy the lady comp, and Banyan Botanicals has the best deal on neem.  You get 4 oz. for like $12 when you include tax and shipping.  The cheapest place to get the capsules (to put the neem in) is Bulk Herb Store.  Here are the links:

banyanbotanicals.com
bulkherbstore.com

If you'd like to buy the neem in capsules that are already made, they are more expensive, but the site is Organix South.

organixsouth.com

My husband puts about 6 drops in a capsule and takes one in the morning and one before bed.  We are very fertile, and so it might be overdoing it, but 7 mos. post partum with my second and I'm just getting "back".   As far as I know (not much) the neem oil and neem seed oil are the same; you can call the folks at Banyan and ask them ANYTHING.  They are very knowledgeable.

We will also do the lady comp as soon as my cycle returns.  I think using the neem and lady comp combo will be good.  And on a somewhat related note, it really makes so much sense to me for the husband to take the herbs as he is our head of household. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 09:45:19 AM by ShabbyChic »

Offline Kristin_19_78

• Learning
« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2006, 12:35:52 PM »
there are alternatives to the LadyComp that are less expensive

Ladycomp is a fancy thermometer and mini-computer that takes the woman's temperature and does the needed calculations to determine fertility. It's pretty expensive, and it relies on body temperature - which can be thrown off by a fever, use of an electric blanket, or forgetting to use it before you get out of bed on a cold morning.

Persona reads hormones in urine. Once you have it calibrated, you only need to test 8 times a month. IN addition to the cost of the device, there is $10 to $15 a month for test strips.

Luna reads hormones indirectly. It uses saliva rather than urine, and has no ongoing expense. It's also the least expensive of the three

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2006, 02:39:37 PM »
I also found that you can purchase a refurbished lady comp for about two hundred dollars less than you would pay for a completely new one.

Offline Bethany

• Adept
« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2006, 09:03:02 AM »
another option you might check into is the OV watch: http://www.ovwatch.com/ or Clear Blue Easy Fertility Moniter. I've heard that eBay can be a good option for better deals on those, too.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #209 on: December 01, 2006, 03:29:41 PM »
Anyone heard of this?  What are your thoughts?

essure.com