Author Topic: All About Birth Control  (Read 228754 times)

Offline joshs_rebekah

• Adept
  • Shalom-Girl
    • The Larson Log
Re: All About Birth Control
« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2006, 06:38:01 AM »
I don't have a whole lot of knowledge on the different types of birth control, but I would like to put some input in.

When God told Josh and I we could get married, I immediately went on the pill...I liked being on the pill, my moods calmed down hugely, and I was able to enjoy my husband without worry.  However, we realized that, although we said we were letting God decide if we were going to get pregnant, we didn't leave him a whole lot of wiggle room.  When I dtopped taking the pill, the Wicked Witch of the West came out of no where!  It was almost like my emotions had been stored up for the three months I was on the pill, and they were being released with a GUSH!

My emotions calmed down after a while...my husband is SO VERY patient with me!  We were both happy - life is much simpler when we let God do His job!  Until Hurricane Rita!  My husband and I stayed behind on one of our ships to ride out the storm (which is a good thing as the ship we were on got loose - all mooring lines snapped or broke the bits they were tied to).  Somewhere between Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, my beautiful Ruth was conceived.  Shortly after Rita, my period disappeared and I couldn't figure out why I was so tired...my Mom had to tell me!

All this to say, I am all for letting God be God.

Rebekah

Offline Tanya

• Learning
« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2006, 07:47:37 AM »
We are really liking the Billings ovulation method. You can check out the book at the library. Found out about it on Focus on the Family. It is natural. It is free. It is healthy. It only uses cervical mucus to determine fertility. Coming from Fertile Myrtle it has worked for two years!

Offline Mary1103

• Learning
« Reply #152 on: August 24, 2006, 06:59:38 AM »
Has anyone here read the book, "Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing" by Sheila Kippley?  I was just curious if anyone has tried using breasfeeding AP-style to purposely supress ovulation. 

My mom tried.  She had six babies in 7 1/2 years, no twins.  She was already pregnant before the last baby every had any solids.  I have two, and breastfed them both, I started after 6 weeks, and my girls are 11 1/2 months apart.  I get tired of people telling how breastfeeding will keep me from getting pregnant....  It just doesn't work for my family....

Now my MIL, on the other hand, has a different story.  All her kids are nicely spaced, 2 - 3 1/2  years apart.  She never started back before a year often much longer.  She breastfeed too. 

Sooo.... It wouldn't hurt to try, but don't depend on it.... I know!

My mom spaced her children using Lactation.  My body doesn't respond to lactation (i.e. I still ovulate) so I just use NFP (We are Catholic)

Offline marybplank

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2006, 10:46:20 AM »
My pregancy with my third baby was very rough.My health was  not good at all.With my other 2 pregnancies I didn't have much of a problem.My husband was so kind as to help me with everything and he still wanted me around so my we prayed about what we should do and felt like we should get my tubes tied.It was a very hard decision but we got it done after I had the baby.I wished I would have been more informed about it before I got it done but wasn't.I have three little ones and want to raise them for the Lord.Maybe in the future we can adopt a little one.I'm very thankful for the 3 that I have.

Offline Charis

• Adept
« Reply #154 on: September 14, 2006, 12:07:47 PM »
OK everyone, I ordered the Lady-Comp natural family planning device. My Ob/gyn told me they work very well. They are pricey but the sight I ordered from lets you make monthly installments of I think it was $37 with no intrest charges. It is 99.3% effective. It will also tell you if you have become pregnant! It tells you your fertile days and can tell on what day you are likely to start you period. I got it today and it's pretty detailed in the set up. I plan to start tomorrow. You take your temp. every morning before you get up. I'll let every one know how it goes. I'm a very fertile person, so if it keeps me from getting pregnant it works. LOL
"Momma can I have some fruit? I think my body needs some vitamin C." -Madelyn 5

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
« Reply #155 on: September 14, 2006, 05:28:13 PM »
I guess I missed something, What is Lady Comp??? Does insurance cover it?
We have let God have control of our fertility the past 3  years, and we have had a baby every 2 years, next one due if Feb., I think after this one,  I would like a short break to enjoy my husband and children without my hormones being crazy.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #156 on: September 15, 2006, 01:51:17 AM »
Charis, which site did you get it from.  It looks interesting and if we could do it on installments, I would LOVE that!
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline Mrs. Davis

• Mrs. Davis
  • Adept
    • New Life Birth Services
« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2006, 11:52:01 AM »
I am new here but I just had to jump into this conversation.  My name is Vicki ad my dh and I have been married 21 years and have eleven children.  After the last one, I am feeling wiped out!  My body is not what it use to be and things take longer to get normal again. 

Anyway, we have been thinking about gettin a LadyComp so to see it come up in conversation got me thinking about it more.  Do you like it so far Charis?  I know you haven't had it very long, but do you find in convenient so far?

Offline naelund

• Adept
« Reply #158 on: September 20, 2006, 03:45:34 PM »
I checked out the site, www.malecontraceptives.com and it seems from studies mentioned on there, that papaya seed extract might be even more effective than neem oil. The stronger the better for us.  :) I'm preganant with blessing #4 and need a break after this. Our oldest is in Kindergarten and homeschooling him is a bit difficult sometimes with an active 3 year old and a determined 17 month old. I'm also quite tired a lot during my preganany (I always get anemia and low blood sugar- been taking alfalfa and Supermom this time). I've been pregnant or breastfeeding for 6 years of marriage. With every baby, my period would come back exactly one month after. No matter how much I breastfed. I also seem to have more than one peak day during a cycle, so makes it difficult to plan sometimes :). We've done NFP throughout the marriage. My kids love babies though and alway tell me to have lots and lots of babies! Last night, my oldest said, "mom, I love babies. I want 100 babies! Can we have 100 babies?" Gotta love that. ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2006, 04:32:24 AM »
I am new here but I just had to jump into this conversation.  My name is Vicki ad my dh and I have been married 21 years and have eleven children.
Unless I missed something, I think you hold the WTM record for the most kids.   :o Congrats!  Wow, you are my hero.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline fish7inTN

• Learning
« Reply #160 on: September 29, 2006, 08:46:09 AM »
I have spent the last 30 min. reading every comment on all 6 pages of this discussion.  I wish I had checked it earlier.  We have 4 kids (spaced 19-24 mths. apart) and number 5 is on it's way.  Nursing has always been our form of birth control.  But after number 4 we thought about adopting instead and were forced to talk about B.C. since we decided not to go back to the pill.  We did NFP by Debi's recommendation years ago - got the Focus on the Family tape, the Ovulation Method book w/ calendar, stickers and all.  It worked for us but it made my hubby very very frustrated. Basically as someone mentioned long ago, it makes 1/3 of the mth. off limits (and it wasn't a sweeter time for us, I promise!) or use condoms.  Well, that just made my husband very upset to have to use condoms.  Thus number 5 was conceived.  I was just going to check into the diaphram, thinking I could use that during that 10 day off time, right around the time I conceived.   :o

So correct me if I'm wrong, but no one has mentioned the diaphram.  Does anyone recommend this in addition to the NFP method?  We just need something to help those off days (Of course I won't need this for over a year, but just covering the grounds now).  Rebekah, didn't you mention that you use NFP with the Neem?  I might have misunderstood and have no clue which of the 6 pages to check.   :-\ I just need something to use for those 7-10 off days that is non-evasive with no bad side effects.  Is Neem something that needs to be taken daily during (like the pill is) or something you can take just when ovulating?  My body is pretty clear about when it's a "ripe" time and when it's not.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #161 on: September 29, 2006, 06:24:06 PM »
i heard about this thing about a year ago, but haven't bought one yet.  i just heard about it again the other night.  a not sure of it's name, but it looks like a lipstick tube.  inside there is a glass that you lick.  you then put it on the tiny flashlight.  you let it sit for 20 min.  after 20 min you check, if you see one or two ferns, you are beginning to get fertile.  if you see more or if it's covered with them then you are very fertile.  if you are not fertile you will see crystals.  it costs about $75, though my friend bought a cheaper version over the net.  it was $25.  she wasn't thrilled with it though. the midwife who told us about it said a record should be kept of what you find each day.  i wish i could share my experience, but haven't actually done this yet.  i just thought it sounded great.  she said it's been used in england for more than 10 years.  a great way to check your fertility if it works!  has anyone else heard about this???  ???
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 10:51:06 AM by fivewittletids »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #162 on: September 29, 2006, 06:57:24 PM »
So correct me if I'm wrong, but no one has mentioned the diaphram.  Does anyone recommend this in addition to the NFP method?  We just need something to help those off days (Of course I won't need this for over a year, but just covering the grounds now).  Rebekah, didn't you mention that you use NFP with the Neem?  I might have misunderstood and have no clue which of the 6 pages to check.   :-\ I just need something to use for those 7-10 off days that is non-evasive with no bad side effects.  Is Neem something that needs to be taken daily during (like the pill is) or something you can take just when ovulating?  My body is pretty clear about when it's a "ripe" time and when it's not.
I have had a diaphram for several years now and have not had any problems with it.  I felt like I was "all thumbs" at first.  It takes a little practice.  The only thing I don't like about it is having to leave it in for at least 6 hours.  :(     

Offline Charis

• Adept
« Reply #163 on: September 30, 2006, 02:41:52 AM »
I am new here but I just had to jump into this conversation.  My name is Vicki ad my dh and I have been married 21 years and have eleven children.  After the last one, I am feeling wiped out!  My body is not what it use to be and things take longer to get normal again. 

Anyway, we have been thinking about gettin a LadyComp so to see it come up in conversation got me thinking about it more.  Do you like it so far Charis?  I know you haven't had it very long, but do you find in convenient so far?

I love it so far. I haven't found it inconvenient at all. It wakes you with a very gentel alarm and you take your temperature. I just set the alarm for the time I would be getting up any way. It gives you a 6 hour window to take your temp. 3 hr. before alarm and 3 after. So if a baby wakes up an hour before your alarm goes off you can go ahead and take your temp before you get up just in case you might not be able to go back to bad. You have to take your temp before starting to move around. It's still learning my cycle so I haven't had any green lights yet(nonfertile). As soon as I have a period it will be able to tell my cycle. I forgot to take it with me once when I went to my mom's. I've done that with the pill before too. Not so good to miss a pill, it doesn't really matter with the ladycomp especially when it learns your cycle. I'll keep ya'll posted.
"Momma can I have some fruit? I think my body needs some vitamin C." -Madelyn 5

Offline maideninwaiting

• Adept
« Reply #164 on: September 30, 2006, 06:37:25 AM »

We have let God have control of our fertility the past 3  years, and we have had a baby every 2 years, next one due if Feb

I so admire women like you (and the dear lady with the 11 blessings)!! Its such an honor to allow GOD be the CONTROLLER! Bless you and your lovely family!

About the diaphram which someone mentioned: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure that because it prevents a fertilized egg from planting in the uterus, it is an abortificient, as well as the "pill" itself.  :'(
"I am the LORD: For they shall not be ashamed that wait for me." Isaiah 49:23

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #165 on: September 30, 2006, 07:43:58 AM »

About the diaphram which someone mentioned: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure that because it prevents a fertilized egg from planting in the uterus, it is an abortificient, as well as the "pill" itself.  :'(

The daiphram is a barrier between sperm and cervix.  Thus the name indicating a membrane like the one between chest cavity and abdominal cavity.  They are similar to a cervical cap and often are used with spermicide. 

The conception is prevented by blocking sperm from entering the cervix.  If enough sperm get by the diaphram, they can travel on & potentially fertilize an egg.  The diaphram does nothing to prevent implantation of a fertilized egg.

You may be thinking of an IUD (inter-uterine device).

Please correct me if I'm wrong -it's been about 10 years since I reviewed these sorts of things...

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #166 on: September 30, 2006, 07:47:49 AM »

We have let God have control of our fertility the past 3  years, and we have had a baby every 2 years, next one due if Feb

I so admire women like you (and the dear lady with the 11 blessings)!! Its such an honor to allow GOD be the CONTROLLER! Bless you and your lovely family!

As far as I know the diaphragm is a barrier method just like a condom.  Unless you add spermicides there is no chemical reaction.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2006, 07:52:22 AM »
  Rebekah, didn't you mention that you use NFP with the Neem?  I might have misunderstood and have no clue which of the 6 pages to check.   :-\ I just need something to use for those 7-10 off days that is non-evasive with no bad side effects.  Is Neem something that needs to be taken daily during (like the pill is) or something you can take just when ovulating?  My body is pretty clear about when it's a "ripe" time and when it's not.
I have no personal experience with this, but Beka's husband is the one who takes the Neem and he takes it daily for the intentions of birth control.

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,785.msg5107.html#msg5107
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline fish7inTN

• Learning
« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2006, 08:52:47 AM »
Thank you for the information on the diaphram.  I don't mind the 6 hrs. prior as I would just use it on the off-days and could make the time a planned time w/ hubby.  I just wanted to see if any of you had heard, read, or had personal experiences that were negative - like infections, irritations, etc.  If so, please pass those along.

Another question about the Neem was if your husband is taking it daily, do you have to still avoid the fertile days?  That seems the be our issue over here is the 1/3 mth. off stuff.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2006, 06:14:27 PM »
I don't mind the 6 hrs. prior

I think that you can actually insert it at the last minute, if you choose.  Its gotta stay in 6 hours afterwards, to prevent the sperm from reaching the eggs.

I've never used one, but have read about them. 

Offline mamaketler

• Adept
  • Jumping on the bed is fun!
« Reply #170 on: October 01, 2006, 04:23:06 AM »
 Ovoulation tester! i bought one at walmart for 20 bucks. But..... I also got pregnant with #4. ;D Mybe i am no sciencetest after all. LOL  You have to do it 2 hours after eating and drinking anything. best time is in the morning.
Did you know that I am SUPER MOM?

Offline maideninwaiting

• Adept
« Reply #171 on: October 01, 2006, 05:40:48 PM »
You're right about the diaphram. I did have it confused with  the IUD. I am still uncomfortable with ANY form of birth control, but that's just me and my "insane" convictions".  ;D
"I am the LORD: For they shall not be ashamed that wait for me." Isaiah 49:23

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #172 on: October 01, 2006, 06:34:06 PM »
I don't mind the 6 hrs. prior

I think that you can actually insert it at the last minute, if you choose.  Its gotta stay in 6 hours afterwards, to prevent the sperm from reaching the eggs.

I've never used one, but have read about them. 
Yes, you read right. 

I chose a diaphram because I had so many miscarriages we needed to use something.  (I just don't think I can handle another one.)  And I didn't want to use a method that would actually let conception happen and then not let it implant.

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #173 on: October 01, 2006, 07:16:18 PM »
I just wanted to see if any of you had heard, read, or had personal experiences that were negative - like infections, irritations, etc.  If so, please pass those along.
Nope.  No infections or irritations here.  I haven't heard of any of these being a problem.  I don't know if there could be a problem with someone being allergic to the rubber in them.  You could ask you doctor about that.  You would have to go to be fitted for one. 

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2006, 02:04:18 AM »
If you are allergic to latex you could very well have an allergic reaction to any natural rubber product, including a diaphragm or latex condoms.  If you have not experienced prior difficulty with latex/rubber then don't worry, otherwise, you should be cautious.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #175 on: October 16, 2006, 08:21:41 AM »
My kids love babies though and alway tell me to have lots and lots of babies! Last night, my oldest said, "mom, I love babies. I want 100 babies! Can we have 100 babies?" Gotta love that. ;D
Congrats on having an oldest child who WANTS more younger siblings!  It's been my experience that most firsts are a tad more selfish and really don't care a lot about having more children join the family.  i can say this with some authority because I was #1 of 3, and my oldest (son) is the same (currently 7+step-siblings).  He loves the younger ones, sure, but I think that HE thinks he'd be better off without them!  Of course I know better.  My dh's oldest (girl) was/is the same, although I think a lot of her ambivalence towards the younger ones was her mom leaving them in her care for the past several years.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2006, 08:51:29 AM »
It has been mentioned before, but kinda got passed over.  I am interested in information about spermicide.  Does anybody know anything about its pros/cons?

Offline AnnaBanana

• AnnaBanana
  • Adept
  • Aloha ke Akua!
    • Lilia Designs & YINIA!
« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2006, 09:14:34 AM »
Wow, thank you for all this good information!  We are far from being done with having children, but vasectomy was the route I was most interested in.  Not dh!  ;)  Now, I see he knows what he's talking about.  LOL!  We use the P&P method when we don't want to get pg, but I'm thinking God built in an automatic timer for me.  I'm 19mo postpartum from my second and still no ovulation.   :o  Rebecca, I am really interested in the further study of the neem oil as well.  I'd even be a tester for it right now if we weren't wanting to get moving with the third.  :D

Offline Elizab04

• Adept
« Reply #178 on: October 16, 2006, 12:10:22 PM »
It has been mentioned before, but kinda got passed over.  I am interested in information about spermicide.  Does anybody know anything about its pros/cons?

Spermicide

What is it?
A spermicide is a chemical that kills sperm. One type of spermicide, Nonoxynol-9, is the main active ingredient in nearly all popular brands (foams, creams, jellies, vaginal tablets, suppositories and sponges). There are many brand names of spermicides, including Ortho-Creme, Gynol II, Semicid, Conceptrol and Delfen.

A spermicide can be used alone as a method of birth control. But because the failure rate is so high, it is often used with a condom.

How does a spermicide work?

A spermicide must be used no more than an hour before intercourse if it is to be effective in killing sperm. If the hour passes, the spermicide may no longer work.

Do spermicides have side effects?

Yes. Some affect either women or men:

vaginal or penile irritation and itching
vaginal or penile soreness
Spermicides also offer no protection against sexually transmitted diseases including AIDS.

There are additional side effects for women:

vaginal discharge
vaginal dryness
painful urination
toxic shock syndrome
possible birth defects in future children

Source: www.all.org

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #179 on: October 24, 2006, 08:49:02 AM »
So is everyone that has the LadyComp happy with it?  I am very interested in getting one, but it is quite the investment.  :o  I knew that it had been mentioned that it was expensive, but expensive was about half of what the price actually is to me.  So, is it worth it?  I'm trying to find something that both DH and I can agree upon.  Maybe your input will help him.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9