Author Topic: Dangers of Tea: White, green, or black  (Read 40451 times)

Offline sierra

• Learning
Re: Dangers of Tea: White, green, or black
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2007, 04:36:04 AM »
What about Kombucha?
I have the most wonderful job: wife to Craig,  mommy to Orrin (7), Mostyn (6), Praise (4),  Sasona Joy (2) and Berwynn (born 1-15-08)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2007, 04:39:43 AM »
I'm wondering if it's one of those things that the health benefits outweigh the risks.

It could very well be.  I have only been able to find a few internet sources and feel that it is up to each person to decide how beneficial it truly is to someone.

I think Kombucha tea is probably more healthy than regular tea because it is fermented, twice, I guess.  Kind of like soy is not so healthy unless it is a fermented type like miso or tempeh.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2007, 03:51:07 PM »
I found a link that gives suggestions to lower the flouride content in green tea:
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/fluoride-in-green-tea.html

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2007, 05:40:34 PM »
Agh!  :o  I'm totally freaked about drinking kombucha now.  My kids love it, and between all five of us in the family we go through about 4 gallons a week.  They already have a ton of allergies and things they react to, I'm wondering if they are having issues with the green tea in the kombucha?!?!  I should quit making it for awhile and see how it goes I guess.

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2007, 07:06:50 PM »
Not to say that the fluoride concentration in green / black teas is a non-issue, but... let's do some more research on this.

I don't think that fluoride content of any drink will change weight gain... but the sugar content certainly will. Add sugar, you'll get noticeable weight gain in most cases, don't add sugar and the stimulant properties will probably effect noticeable weight loss.

So, those of you that have made changes, please report your findings. Anyone know how to measure fluoride content?

--gabe

PS: interesting quote from here: http://www.raysahelian.com/fluoride.html

With regard to quality of tea products, the relationship with fluoride content was studied using 12 brands of tea products in four categories: green tea, oolong tea, black tea, and jasmine tea collected from six provinces. The fluoride level increased with the decline in quality and showed good correlation with the quality grades. The results suggest that the fluoride content could be used as a quality indicator for tea evaluation.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 07:11:07 PM by Gabriel Anast »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2007, 02:30:25 AM »
Anyone know how to measure fluoride content?

According to my above links, you are suppose to contact the company to find out the content of fluoride. 

I actually put the above link on so people wouldn't freak out too much about their green tea consumption, but I won't mention any names, ABBILYNN.  :D

Not to say that the fluoride concentration in green / black teas is a non-issue, but... let's do some more research on this.

Yes, I would like more people to do some investigating, too.  Looks like nobody was up for the challenge.  :-\

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2007, 03:10:59 AM »
Haha!  ;) :D  Yes, I know, I should be researching!  Just got a little frustrated b/c we are dealing with the kids reacting to sooo much around here, that when I read about the green tea my first thought was "oh great, now another thing to think about!"  Had I not already been full force into other research projects  I would've looked it up. heehee  ;D :D  But hey, HealthyinOhio, you're doing such a great job, I'll just wait to hear from you!   ;) :D  Just Kidding.

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2007, 07:47:43 AM »
I found a link that gives suggestions to lower the flouride content in green tea:
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/fluoride-in-green-tea.html

the woman drank 17 to 33 cups a day, double-strength. Over-consuming any healthy food is dangerous.

um.....DUH
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2007, 06:17:32 PM »
Anyone know how to measure fluoride content?

Here is the answer... its a Disolved solids meter that can use an Ion Selective Electrode... its about $800... and then you have to get the appropriate electrode, which for Fluoride is about $300 to $500... Wow.

I have always wanted to be able to measure the fluoride content of water, so I might get one or see if I can find one used somewhere... and do some research. I will tell you all if and when I order one... should be some fun... and I have always wondered what the Fluoride content of our ground water around here is, since all the city water is fluoridated.

--gabe

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2007, 02:32:41 AM »

I have always wanted to be able to measure the fluoride content of water, so I might get one or see if I can find one used somewhere...

What about asking a local water purification business to do it?  The business that tested and installed our reverse osmosis did our basic water testing for free(fluoride, lead, nitrates, chlorine, etc.).  One time I asked them if they did a cadmium testing, for I did some research that suggested certain water filters leaked cadmium into the water.  So, he said that they did not test that, but could be done if I paid $50 out of pocket.  But perhaps this will not even be the same thing as testing "tea".  Can we have just as good of a reading of the tea water as the leaves themselves?  Is this a stupid idea, or what?  :D

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2007, 05:14:23 AM »

Here is the answer... its a Disolved solids meter that can use an Ion Selective Electrode... its about $800... and then you have to get the appropriate electrode, which for Fluoride is about $300 to $500... Wow.

What about these on ebay?  Is it the same?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TDS1-HANNA-TOTAL-DISSOLVED-SOLIDS-METER_W0QQitemZ230131970987QQihZ013QQcategoryZ26230QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fisher-Combination-Ion-Selective-Silver-Type-Electrode_W0QQitemZ200113341506QQihZ010QQcategoryZ26237QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would be nice if it were the same.  It would sure beat $800!

Offline Mrs. Visionary

• Adept
    • PureBulk, Inc.
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2007, 07:43:50 AM »
As far as I can tell, these are for detection of total dissolved solids and don't distinguish what those solids are.
H

Offline Mama_KK

• Learning
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2007, 12:37:38 PM »
Never know what I'm going to come across - just when I think I'm doing good.  Wham!  I get hit with another bit of info that blows my plan apart  :) 

I've been giving our fam green tea capsules as our daily antioxidant, ahhh!  So... guess we'll be pulling this from our shelves and looking for another form. 

Any suggestions?  We were taking the green tea because it came in capsule form (wasn't very consistent on pouring 5 lil' cups of berry juice on a daily basis).  Have been giving the lil' ones a chewable orange supplement w/ rose hips and am purchasing Bee Immune from Beeyoutiful which has antioxidant properties, are these sufficient?  Thanks  :)

Mama_KK

Offline P31Mom

• Learning
  • So much to learn, so little time
    • Michelle's Family
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2007, 02:48:34 AM »
My family is NOT very healthy at all and I'm trying to change that...slowly.  I bought a water filter yesterday and filtered water pitcher after finding out our city water was contaminated last month with something (not sure what...hubby told me there was an announcement on the water bill, and he's already paid it so I don't know what that was).

Anyhow, I came on here looking for more info on the dangers of city water to find out if my $70 was well spent.

I was surprised to read all of this about the tea.  I'm wondering if we made the tea and then poured it through a filtered pitcher like I bought yesterday, would that remove the fluoride?  It almost seems like that would enable us to have the best of both worlds. Also, as a native South Carolinian, I know you can buy tea grown in South Carolina...does anyone know if tea grown in the US has the same problems as the tea in China?

What do you all think?  Also, does anyone else feel like EVERYTHING is linked to something and is unhealthy???

It is very overwhelming to me...and depressing.  I feel like nothing is really safe.  On top of that, I can't afford all of the organic stuff (though I buy as much as my budget will allow...and I ask God to fix any damage done by the rest).

Thanks for any info.  BTW, if anyone has any good links or info...or can just point me in the right direction,  on filtered water vs. tap water, I would greatly appreciate it.

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2007, 03:23:59 AM »

What do you all think?  Also, does anyone else feel like EVERYTHING is linked to something and is unhealthy???

It is very overwhelming to me...and depressing.  I feel like nothing is really safe.  On top of that, I can't afford all of the organic stuff (though I buy as much as my budget will allow...and I ask God to fix any damage done by the rest).

Read the book "What the Bible Says about Healthy Living" and it's three main guidelines:
1.  Eat what God intended to be food
2.  Eat the food as close to how God made it as possible (little processing)
3.  MOST IMPORTANT - don't let food become your God.  I was getting frantic about food oh, 10 years ago when I was learning alot and this book put me on the straight and narrow.  Learn what you can, do what you can and trust God about it all.

Offline P31Mom

• Learning
  • So much to learn, so little time
    • Michelle's Family
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2007, 05:40:00 AM »
3.  MOST IMPORTANT - don't let food become your God.  I was getting frantic about food oh, 10 years ago when I was learning a lot and this book put me on the straight and narrow.  Learn what you can, do what you can and trust God about it all.

I haven't read this book but I've read (most of) The Makers Diet, Mommy Diagnostics, and use as a reference Perscription for Nutritional Healing and The Green Pharmacy amongst a few others.

I'm left feeling rather confused about some, if not all, of the info.  For instance we know that in the Bible, they processed food by cooking it.  And I truly do not mean to sound contentious, but I wonder if that's such great wisdom.  After all, they were plagued with diseases in the Bible as well.  Again, not meaning to sound contentious, but am confused about it all. I also know that one of the main ways people get food poisoning is by eating raw fruits (especially those shipped in from out of the US).  But processing generally destroys vitamins from my understanding. 

I've so much to learn.  I don't think I'm in any danger of making food my god though.  It's too much effort for that, lol. ;D 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 05:42:52 AM by P31Mom »

Offline steadygirl

• Adept
    • My church home page
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2007, 07:05:57 AM »
I'm left feeling rather confused about some, if not all, of the info.  For instance we know that in the Bible, they processed food by cooking it.  And I truly do not mean to sound contentious, but I wonder if that's such great wisdom.  After all, they were plagued with diseases in the Bible as well.  Again, not meaning to sound contentious, but am confused about it all. I also know that one of the main ways people get food poisoning is by eating raw fruits (especially those shipped in from out of the US).  But processing generally destroys vitamins from my understanding. 

Some of the diseases that Israel were plagued with were  punishment for their sins. It is nice to know that God doesn't deal with us that way! :) We also need to remember that the world is sin-cursed and even a perfect diet wouldn't keep us from getting sick sometimes and eventually, unless the Lord comes before then, dying.
Some processing, such as cooking, can actually make certain nutrients more available than in their raw form. It is good to eat both raw and cooked foods. Buying locally as much as possible can prevent a lot of the food poisoning you could get from produce. It is cheaper sometimes,too.

Offline onPurpose.ps39

• ~Andrea Gatekeeper~
  • Learning
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2008, 01:36:15 PM »
... its a Disolved solids meter that can use an Ion Selective Electrode... its about $800... and then you have to get the appropriate electrode, which for Fluoride is about $300 to $500... Wow.

I have always wanted to be able to measure the fluoride content of water, so I might get one or see if I can find one used somewhere... and do some research. I will tell you all if and when I order one... should be some fun... and I have always wondered what the Fluoride content of our ground water around here is, since all the city water is fluoridated.

--gabe
[/quote]

Seems like filtering like this would help people grow their own herbals without risks of flouride.
(I think you're refering to filtering?)
"I'd rather be a gatekeeper in the house of my God than to dwell in the tents of the wicked."

Offline Jeanne Carol

• Learning
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2008, 06:28:41 PM »
Does stevia or the Rise and Shine tea from bulk herb store give any of you the jitters?  I was so excited to get my order from BHS and made some of the rise and shine tea in my little 3 cup teapot with 4 - 5 teaspoons of tea, and 1 teaspoon stevia leaf for sweetner.  This was the first time I had ever tried either.  After a few sips, I felt like I had had several cups of coffee.... nervous.  I stayed that way for over an hour.  I'm wondering if it was the rise n shine or the stevia, or possibly the two together ???  I'm scared to experiment, because I don't want to feel like that again.   :P :-[ If you have any wisdom to share here, thanks!  ~ Jeanne

Offline Jeanne Carol

• Learning
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2008, 02:17:13 AM »
Does stevia or the Rise and Shine tea from bulk herb store give any of you the jitters?  I was so excited to get my order from BHS and made some of the rise and shine tea in my little 3 cup teapot with 4 - 5 teaspoons of tea, and 1 teaspoon stevia leaf for sweetner.  This was the first time I had ever tried either.  After a few sips, I felt like I had had several cups of coffee.... nervous.  I stayed that way for over an hour.  I'm wondering if it was the rise n shine or the stevia, or possibly the two together ???  I'm scared to experiment, because I don't want to feel like that again.   :P :-[ If you have any wisdom to share here, thanks!  ~ Jeanne

I did try the rise and shine tea without the stevia and it has not had any ill effects.  It must have been either the stevia (too much or just my reaction to it) or the stevia mixed with the R & S tea.  I think this needs to be in another thread... about stevia. Has anyone had jitters from using stevia leaf?  Thanks ~ Jeanne

Offline kper

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2008, 04:33:34 AM »

I did try the rise and shine tea without the stevia and it has not had any ill effects.  It must have been either the stevia (too much or just my reaction to it) or the stevia mixed with the R & S tea.  I think this needs to be in another thread... about stevia. Has anyone had jitters from using stevia leaf?  Thanks ~ Jeanne

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5216.0.html
" Elections belong to the people. It is their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters." 

Abraham Lincoln

Offline handsful l--l_

• Learning
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2008, 11:28:16 AM »
The fluoride level increased with the decline in quality and showed good correlation with the quality grades. The results suggest that the fluoride content could be used as a quality indicator for tea evaluation.

Does anyone know some teas that have good quality?  Several people have mentioned that they like Celestial Seasonings, but the Fruit Tea Sampler of theirs that we have - all of the teas contain soy lecithin.
I was signing along to music on my headphones one night and my brother looked over at me and asked, "Are you listening to sign language?"

Offline all4him

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2009, 05:33:11 AM »
I have a question-- dont know if this is where to post it or not, but here goes-- DOes the "mamma's red rasberry brew mix (dry) ever go bad by sitting in the cupard to long? I am due in about 6-7 weeks, and thot about the brew I drank with my last preg, and remembered it's still in the glass jar in the cupard on top of the stove!? my last preg was about 2 1/2 yrs ago, so do y'all think it wud be safe for me to drink it? thanx for any help!
The Joy of the Lord is my Strength!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2009, 05:43:51 AM »
I have a question-- dont know if this is where to post it or not, but here goes-- DOes the "mamma's red rasberry brew mix (dry) ever go bad by sitting in the cupard to long? I am due in about 6-7 weeks, and thot about the brew I drank with my last preg, and remembered it's still in the glass jar in the cupard on top of the stove!? my last preg was about 2 1/2 yrs ago, so do y'all think it wud be safe for me to drink it? thanx for any help!

It won't be 'bad' but it probably won't have any vits or medicinal qualities left either. Or flavor for that matter. Herbs should be stored in a cool place & above the stove is one of the worst places for herbs. If you take a look at it you will probably see that it's faded, lost it's bright color & doesn't smell like it used to.

Better to pitch it or add it to the compost pile & get fresh. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline all4him

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2009, 11:15:46 PM »

It won't be 'bad' but it probably won't have any vits or medicinal qualities left either. Or flavor for that matter. Herbs should be stored in a cool place & above the stove is one of the worst places for herbs. If you take a look at it you will probably see that it's faded, lost it's bright color & doesn't smell like it used to.

Better to pitch it or add it to the compost pile & get fresh. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom
thanx!
The Joy of the Lord is my Strength!