Author Topic: Dark Meat Chicken Recipes  (Read 18190 times)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
Dark Meat Chicken Recipes
« on: May 13, 2007, 11:31:26 PM »
I had a bunch of frozen chicken leg quarters. The door didn't get 100% closed the last time someone was in there & it started thawing. Some of it is getting refroze for the animals (& they really liked what they got of it tonight  ;D ) but it partially thawed once before so I don't want to refreeze the part the humans are going to eat before cooking it. It was the only thing in there which is the good news but now I have a lot of chicken to cook. When I got them I had planned on baking most of it but my oven is on the fritz so I am putting it into my stock pots & boiling it.

Does anyone have any good recipes for dark meat boiled chicken? I figure I can take it off the bone & freeze it in meal size amounts but some pre made meals that I can just heat & eat would be nice too. DH prefers white meat & often the kids & I eat the quarters when he is at work but if anyone has recipes that hide the fact that it's dark meat that would be great. So far I'm thinking sandwiches, burritos, soup, chili, chicken & rice, Spanish rice, & that's all I can think of. Right now I can only use the stove top but the oven could be fixed this afternoon if all goes well. If anybody else has some ideas I would appreciate it. Thanks. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
Re: Dark Meat Chicken Recipes
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 01:27:02 AM »
You should check out the Hillbilly Housewife site for some good chicken recipes.  I know she uses chicken quarters in her recipes ALL THE TIME!  Here's a link:  http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/recipeindex.htm

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 11:05:11 AM »
I had a bunch of frozen chicken leg quarters. The door didn't get 100% closed the last time someone was in there & it started thawing. Some of it is getting refroze for the animals (& they really liked what they got of it tonight  ;D ) but it partially thawed once before so I don't want to refreeze the part the humans are going to eat before cooking it. It was the only thing in there which is the good news but now I have a lot of chicken to cook. When I got them I had planned on baking most of it but my oven is on the fritz so I am putting it into my stock pots & boiling it.

Does anyone have any good recipes for dark meat boiled chicken? I figure I can take it off the bone & freeze it in meal size amounts but some pre made meals that I can just heat & eat would be nice too. DH prefers white meat & often the kids & I eat the quarters when he is at work but if anyone has recipes that hide the fact that it's dark meat that would be great. So far I'm thinking sandwiches, burritos, soup, chili, chicken & rice, Spanish rice, & that's all I can think of. Right now I can only use the stove top but the oven could be fixed this afternoon if all goes well. If anybody else has some ideas I would appreciate it. Thanks. Blessings ~herbalmom

Bump. The oven isn't getting fixed today so I really need some help. I did look at Hillbilly Housewife (thank you- I had forgotten about her site) & will be able to use a few of the recipes but I could use some more ideas.

Thanks. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 11:22:27 AM »
Braised Chicken in Red Sauce

3 lbs chicken  (more or less)
Remove skin and cut into serving peices (leg and thigh)

Rub with salt and pepper and fry in a bit of oil until browned.
Add:
1 small onion, chopped
Fry till onion is tender.  While onion is frying  mix together in a bowl:
2 Tbl ketchup
2 Tbl soy sauce
2 Tbl Worchestershire sauce
1 Tbl Tabasco sauce (less if you don't like spicy)
2 TBl raw sugar or 1 Tbl honey
2 cups water

Pour over chicken and braise covered on a med low heat about an hour until tender.  Add water if needed.  If there is a lot of liquid toward the end of cooking. Remove lid and increase heat and boil till sauce forms.  Watch carefully as it will burn easily toward the end.

Serve over rice. 
You may leave peices whole or pick off the bone and stir into the sauce. 
We love this!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 11:26:36 AM by chopchop »

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 11:24:40 AM »
Chicken Adobo

3 lbs chicken, skin removed
1/2 cup soy sauce
2/3 cup vinegar
1-2 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
1 tsp whole peppercorns

Simmer about 50 min until chicken is tender and sauce reduced by half.

Serve over rice.
  May be deboned first and returned to sauce if you wish or served as is.
Don't be put off by the amount of vinegar, it really doesn't taste like vinegar when it is finished.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 12:58:44 PM by chopchop »

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • Naturally-reared, moderately-sized Aussie puppies!
    • RunAmok Farm * Moderately-sized Australian Shepherds
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 11:52:41 AM »
Ok... this is NOT the board I should be on right now - LOL 

But, since I am totally thinking about food anyway, here is one you may enjoy.  I made this up one night and the whole family LOVED it, as does my husband's partner! 

It can have tons of variations, depending upon the season.  I prefer the dark thigh meat for this, as it is really moist -- but it is also very good with breast meat...  (This feeds 3 adults and 3 children).

Chicken Pita Sandwiches

6-7 boneless/skinless thigh pieces
10 - 12 pita pockets
1.5 - 2 cucumbers
5 Roma tomatoes or 2 larger slicing tomatoes
1 medium yellow or white onion
2 green onions
1/3 cup miracle whip
1/3 - 1/2 mayonnaise (to taste)
Mrs. Dash seasoning or salt/pepper to taste

In large skillet, cook thigh pieces with Mrs Dash seasoning (or lightly salt and add pepper).  As they are cooking, dice the medium onion and add to chicken.  Cover and let simmer.

While meat/onion is cooking; Cut pita pockets in half and lay out on a cookie sheet (this is so they can be heated in the oven - Herbalmom, you can heat these slightly in a frying pan on low).  After the pita pockets are ready to heat, stir the meat again and then begin cutting up the veggies.

The cucumbers need to be peeled, then diced into larger chunks.  (We like them about 1/2 - 3/4 inch cubes.)  Place in a large bowl.  Dice up the tomatoes and small green onions, adding to cucumbers.  Add the miracle whip and mayo to the veggies, stirring well.  Place in fridge to keep chilled.

Stir meat again (should be cooked now), and as you are stirring, use your spatula to cut the meat into small, bite-sized chunks.  Turn off the stove top.

Heat the pita bread; when warm, fill each pita pocket 1/3 full of meat mixture, then add the veggie mixture on top.

Serve immediately!  The warm meat/pita is super-yummy with the cool cucumber/tomato mixture. 

You can also add bacon to the chicken, for a different twist.

Hope you like it...

NR Australian Shepherds & SARF consultations
www.runamokfarm.com
Custom Pyrography (woodburning)
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 12:24:04 PM »
I love having boiled chicken around, only it goes so fast.
 - Most enchilada recipes call for cooked chicken
 - Put it in quesadillas for lunch
 - You can shred it with two forks and add barbecue sauce for BBQ sandwiches.
 - Or shredded you can add mexican spices and have shredded chicken filling for burritos - add rice, beans, salsa, sour cream and they are a lot like Chipotle's.
 - I seasoned some "Mediterranean-ly" the other day and put it in pitas with hummus, yogurt, and lettuce with couscous on the side.     
 - Maybe stir fry but it would have a different texture being already cooked when you start.
 - Oh, you could put it in salads - maybe fry it a little with breading first so it has some crispiness to it. 
 - Also pot pie and shepherd's pie.
 - Omelettes - Eggs and chicken mixed together seems a little weird to me though.
 - And soup.
I can't wait to try some of the recipes listed above!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 10:48:03 AM by JuliaofSunnyside »

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 12:33:18 PM »
Thank you. All the ideas & recipes sound really good. I will have my oven fixed within the next few days & I do have a toaster oven but that doesn't help much with cooking all this chicken right now. Please keep the ideas & recipes coming. My crew all have dairy allergies which knocks out a lot of recipes for me but go ahead & post if you have recipes with dairy because  other people can use them & sometimes I can tweak the recipe. I can always use ways to mask the dark meat for DH. He much prefers white meat but will eat dark meat if it's not so noticeable. Like in chili it's cut up small & the sauce soaks in. He will eat it in soup but again much prefers white meat. Frequently I cook breast for him & the leg quarters for us (I trained the kids to eat either) but money is tight right now & if I don't have to buy breasts & can still please DH that would be great. Needless to say, since I have to cook all this chicken we will be having more chicken dishes in the near future.   

RunAmok- I think your recipe would be really good also as wraps & we almost always have tortillas.

ChopChop- one of your recipes reminded me of the marinade I use for stir fry- good quality tamari sauce, honey & LOTS of chopped garlic. I like to marinate chicken or beef chunks or slices in it then flash freeze to use for stir fries. You can also marinate & cook right away. Unfortunately, DH only likes this used on chicken breast or beef, not dark meat. I wonder if I could dilute the marinade with water & cook rice in it & cook down the marinade with finely chopped dark chicken until the chicken is glazed & mix it with the rice. MMMMMM I'll have to play w/that & see if it works.

Thanks to everyone. I look forward to seeing what else everyone comes up with. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 01:01:57 PM »
I wonder if I could dilute the marinade with water & cook rice in it & cook down the marinade with finely chopped dark chicken until the chicken is glazed & mix it with the rice. MMMMMM I'll have to play w/that & see if it works.
. Blessings ~herbalmom

Actually, I have done this very thing.  Cook the chicken in the "marinade mixture"  Remove from sauce, use some in the rice and return deboned and chopped meat and boil down some more. It is good that way.  My dh prefers  the rice plain with the sauce as a topping so that is how we usually do it.  Good luck

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 02:36:16 PM »
I wonder if I could dilute the marinade with water & cook rice in it & cook down the marinade with finely chopped dark chicken until the chicken is glazed & mix it with the rice. MMMMMM I'll have to play w/that & see if it works.
. Blessings ~herbalmom

Actually, I have done this very thing.  Cook the chicken in the "marinade mixture"  Remove from sauce, use some in the rice and return deboned and chopped meat and boil down some more. It is good that way.  My dh prefers  the rice plain with the sauce as a topping so that is how we usually do it.  Good luck

Normally I would do it with the meat & sauce on top but with dark meat I think DH would prefer it finely chopped & mixed in- less noticeable that way.  ;) Now with breast meat he would want it in chunks & on top & would tell me not to forget the onion chunks as well.     ;) ;)  ;D ;D ;D Thanks Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 02:01:54 PM »
Bump- any more recipes or ideas? Thanks Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 02:17:54 PM »
Anything slow-cooked in liquid (curry chicken, chicken cacciatore), barbecued chicken or chicken salad are my favorites for dark meat.         ~L

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 04:12:09 PM »
Chicken Spinach Alfredo Lasagna
Chicken Bacon Spinach Soup
Potato chicken soup
Chicken & Rice W/ Orange Cranberry Glaze
Cashew chicken
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri