Author Topic: Toddler w/parasites - I feel like an awful mom!  (Read 61011 times)

Offline firecattx

• Adept
Toddler w/parasites - I feel like an awful mom!
« on: May 11, 2007, 06:19:52 PM »
My 18 month old has what we believe to be parasites.  After examining poopy diapers we have found light brown to black segmented parasites - we don't have any idea what kind they are. They seem to be dead (not moving etc.) I am just mortified! I don't know how/where/when he got them.  My question is, how do you treat for this in someone so young? I am nursing still and everywhere I look it says don't use wormwood and black walnut.  I am guessing that we should treat the whole family (4 kids). So, what do we use?  Especially for me and the 18 month old? We are all taking threelac and tummy tune-up already. I want to make sure they are ALL gone ASAP. Any advice?

Offline dara

• Master
Re: Toddler w/parasites - I feel like an awful mom!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 04:05:00 AM »
Don't feel like a bad mom! Kids eat dirt, it's a part of childhood!  ::)

I like Shonda Parker's children's parasite cleanse. It does have a little wormwood in it, but it was formulated for children, so I used it for my son when he was 2, and his system was fine with it. Here is a link to where I got it:

http://www.trilightherbs.com/Templates/frmTemplateX.asp?CatalogID=297&Zoom=Yes&SubFolderId=1
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 09:18:31 AM »
We just recently dealt with some parasite issues when my youngest was 11 months.  I did some research and found allot of information on pumpkin seeds as a gentle worming agent.  My grocery store carried them in bulk as salted and roasted so I just bought about a pound and had everybody eat some, it worked like a charm!  Nobody felt very good for a couple of days (including adults) and the kids especially were thirsty all the time so if you don't want to buy a product or system I recomend the pumpkin seeds :D.

-Heather

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 12:10:49 PM »
How did you get your little one to eat the pumpkin seeds? Did you grind them in a coffee grinder? My 18 month old is very picky and will not eat them whole.  I too bought some raw seeds from my local health store -- now what?

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 01:01:44 PM »
I would say a blender or a coffee grinder would work great and just add them to whatever.  I don't think they have a strong flavor so somebody suggested smoothy, if your having a casserole type dish you could just add some ground into that when your making it.  wherever you think you can slip it in unnoticed :D.

-H

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 04:07:27 AM »
Are you sure these are parasites? I remember one of mine had similar specks in diaper and I brought the diaper into the clinic...the Dr. said it was probably from bananas...I think this happened when the child was younger than 18 months and did not play in the dirt and such so that is  why they thought bananas?? Plus the child had plenty of bananas to eat. Not saying you are wrong, just wanted to add this tid bit  :)
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 03:58:18 PM »
I 2nd the banana idea and 2nd the if it is parasites don't feel like a bad mom...besides dirt parasites are all over the place...you'd be surprised I'm sure to know how many people have them. We think it is just a problem in other countries, but MANY N. Americans have them. Most of us just don't realize it. You can get them from lots of stuff...not just eating dirt. I guess it depends on what kind...but anyways, don't feel bad.

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 05:46:44 PM »
hhhmmm, bananas - he eats lots of those.  If it is parasites, would they show up in every bowel movement?  I noticed it in two dirty diapers and then nothing for a week and now they showed up in 3 dirty diapers in the last few days.  I wish I could find a picture, they look segmented, some light in color and most blackish.  I ordered worm out from trilight herbs.  It says for 2 and over but noted that it was 1/2 t. per 25 lbs. He's barely 25 lbs but that is what I'm going to try.

Offline rainydayz

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 06:05:59 PM »
Segmented?  Tannish/white segments usually means tapeworm.  You can see whole sections of the parasites which look like a flat segmented worm, or often you will just see the segments individually which look like rice, or cucumber seeds (depending on the species of tapeworm), around their rear or in their diaper.  That is called the proglottid. You can't get them from dirt though, they need an intermediate host.  That can be anything from a flea, to fish, to rabbits and rodents. You have to eat any of those things under cooked to get tapeworms (sushi!).  Also regular deworming medication does not usually kill tapeworms....  I really don't know what the spectrum of herbal dewormers are, but they may not get rid of tapeworms.  Something to look up anyway? =)

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 01:41:55 AM »
You can also get parasites from eating pork!  :(
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 08:44:19 AM »
can you find any pics on the web of parasites...that might help?

Offline Mom2four

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 10:29:01 AM »
Don't have any information to help, just encouragement.  Don't feel bad!  When I think of all the dirt my kids have played in and probably eaten...  :P  I feel sure we could all use a good parasite cleanse!   ;)

Personally, I would try the pumpkin seeds first.  Seems more gentle that a full-fledged cleanse unless you know for sure that is what it is.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 07:45:56 AM »
I can't remember which site I found this on...but I read that to do a cleanse for kids to have them do a juice fast and eat all the pumpkin seeds and raisins they want. Seems easy and harmless enough...just make sure the juice doesn't have any sugar of any sort (besides the fruit of course :))

Offline naelund

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 11:28:49 AM »
It's easy to pick up parasites. We are always picking them up from those around us, food and pollutants. I've read Dr. Hulga Clark's book, "The cure for all disease" and she gives her parasite cleanse recipe in there.

If you're sure they are parasites, here's the recipe for parasite cleanse. If there are no other symptoms (sickness, lethargic, etc), I might not do it, but I would give  this to my own children (in child size doses) if they needed it.

This cleanse is the adult dosage.

1. Black Walnut Hull Tincture (from the black walnut tree): 2 tsp. on an empty stomach, like before a meal.
2. Wormwood capsules (from the Artemisia shrub): 7 capsules (with 200-300 mg wormwood each) at once on an empty stomach.
3. Common Cloves: 3 capsules (about 500 mg. each, or fill size 00 capsules yourself) at once on an empty stomach.
4. Take ornithine as needed.

These three herbs must be used together. Black walnut hull and wormwood kill adults and developmental stages of at least 100 parasites. Cloves kill the eggs. Only if you use them together will you rid yourself of parasites. If you kill only the adults, the tiny stages and eggs will soon grow into new adults. If you kill only the eggs, the million stages already loose in your body will soon grow into adults and make more eggs. They must be used together as a single treatment.

Offline naelund

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 11:33:29 AM »
How is your child doing? Any updates? Were they actual parasites? I found the parasite cleanse thread that mentions the same herbs I listed above.

Posted by Helen:

"for a very fast and easy deworming I would do the para rid from mountain meadow herbs. we are doing it right now after my sister inlaw  reported fantastic results, it kills over a hundred diffrent kind of parasites.  it is easy to take, you take half a teaspoon full for 6 days and then a month later another doseage like that,  then you dont have to do it for a year. or untill you want to again. good luck"

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 10:22:30 PM »
My one year old, Meorah, had parasites when my premie Merry was born.  She was 10 weeks early and born just under 2lbs. on Christmas Eve.  I was in bed for two weeks sick, not having eaten.  I ended up delivering her because of a case of severe pneumonia and a collapsed lung. 

Knowing that they [parasites] were very contagious, we were SO fearful that we wouldn't be able to erradicate them before she came home from NICU.  God was faithful.  After one week and heavy doses of antibotics to knock my fevers and pneumonia they sent me home.  Merry stayed in for five weeks before they sent her home.  In the meanwhile, we were in a quest to remove this worm in Meorah's stool.  We could see that she'd wiggle her bum at night . . . be irritated and want to scratch.  Then we could see the thread-like worm move around on her anus.   ???

We did lots of reading and found that the research showed that coconut was used in India for parasites.  SO, we ended up giving Meorah virgin coconut oil in her foods (ingestion), then we used a little peeled garlic clove soaked in coconut oil as a suppository.  When we took the swatch tests back to Kaiser it was a FREE and CLEAN of parasites!  AND it didn't even spread to the other family members!  At the time, I had seven children.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,
Charity
»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«

Brian, Charity
Jimella, Eden, Philip, David, Mark, Abigail,
Meorah, Merry, Titus & Hope CALLIS
www.TheHomeGrownFamily.com
Coconut/Palm Oil | ERGO baby carriers | Grain Mills | BOSCH | Natural Products
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 03:14:22 AM »
I have been meaning to write a post asking about my dd, but until last night, i wasn't thinking about parasites.  She is very small for her age, weight wise, also very tall for her age, which make her look all the more skinny.  (She is almost 3, and can wear 18 months pants, like capres, and they are still loose).  I have started worrying about her, as she is not gaining.  Sometimes, she can eat a ton of food, and it just won't stick.  She gets colds very easy, and throws up pretty frequently.  We have been thinking that something was wrong with her digestive tract and started giving her digestive enzymes, but aren't seeing any difference.

Anyway, yesterday, I was cleaning up her room, and found a dirty diaper that has gotten under her bed.  It was probably 4 - 8 days old.  :o  Something caught my I and I opened it up.  It was alive!!! :-X  I mean crawling FULL of worms, like hundreds of them... :-X :-X :-X  They were not maggets, I think.  Maybe 1/2 inch long, dark, smooth, kinda clearish skin.  I am assuming that there were parasite eggs in her poop, that later hatched.  I have NEVER seen anything like it.

Any suggestions about what they were and what I should do, now?

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 04:22:48 AM »
 He has a bedwetting problem and he grinds his teeth.  He mostly grinds when his allergies flaring up.  I have read though that both can be sign of parasites. 

Hmm.. my three year old was pottytrained but now it's like he's lost all control. He is also thin and tends to look bloated. I'd always thought he had a yeast problem but maybe I'd better look into parasites again. I've given him lots of garlic before and didn't see anything. I have some black walnut. I'll have to give that a try. I want him to be healthy and I'd really like less laundry ;)
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 04:33:33 AM »
I just bought  Dr. Natura's parasite stuff for kids.

Here is the link.

http://www.drnatura.com/paranil_jr.php

I just pray that this solves her problem! 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 11:09:54 AM by healthybratt »

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
Toddler w/parasites - I feel like an awful mom! -- TRY COCONUT OIL & FLOUR
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 06:46:25 AM »
Anyway, yesterday, I was cleaning up her room, and found a dirty diaper . . . . . . .   Something caught my I and I opened it up.  It was alive!!! :-X  I mean crawling FULL of worms, like hundreds of them... :-X :-X :-X  . . . . . .Any suggestions about what they were and what I should do, now?

I would use coconut oil and coconut flour in her diet.  It's baby safe, natural and anti-parasitical.  We were very pleased with our results.  You can get it on our website. . . (below).  I would recommend the TT Virgin Organic Green Label 24 oz.  It's a good size for the job.

See our testimony from a previous post.

Regards,
Charity

RECIPE IDEAS:  send me a PM if you're interested.
»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«

Brian, Charity
Jimella, Eden, Philip, David, Mark, Abigail,
Meorah, Merry, Titus & Hope CALLIS
www.TheHomeGrownFamily.com
Coconut/Palm Oil | ERGO baby carriers | Grain Mills | BOSCH | Natural Products
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 07:11:40 AM »
He has a bedwetting problem and he grinds his teeth.  He mostly grinds when his allergies flaring up.  I have read though that both can be sign of parasites. 

Hmm.. my three year old was pottytrained but now it's like he's lost all control. He is also thin and tends to look bloated. I'd always thought he had a yeast problem but maybe I'd better look into parasites again. I've given him lots of garlic before and didn't see anything. I have some black walnut. I'll have to give that a try. I want him to be healthy and I'd really like less laundry ;)

I have heard that magnesium can really help with bedwetting. Maybe give him 1 t. of molasses in milk everyday.

I have wondered about parasites, I have heard that we all have them present in our system to some degree. Just like we will see parasites hatch in rotten meat, parasites may hatch in feces in the same way.  I probably am oversimplifying things but maybe if we have healthy bacteria and essential minerals in our diets our bodies will handle these parasites better.  The levels of digestive enzymes in our system could very well be the problem also. ACV or Kombucha seems to help my family with digestion.

I am learning to try the least expensive options first!   :)
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 12:24:42 PM »
DESPERATE FOR HELP!!
  In early February my 4 children and I came down with a very nasty stomach bug.  My 20mo son and I got hit the hardest, and I assume it was because he was so young and I was so tired and newly pregnant that our systems didn't fight as hard.  Since then everyone has been healthy with the exception of my 20mo.
      I am not sure if it is related of not, but every he started a terrible cycle of what seems to be a recurring mini-relapse.  He wakes up (either in the middle of the night or early morning) and throws up his completely undigested dinner.  He also throws up any other foods/liquids he tries to swallow during the day and has horrible, wicked-smelling diarrhea that is purely liquid.  The weird thing is that he recovers 100% by the next day.
  This cycle started out every two weeks like clockwork, but this last time was a bit different:  he only had 10 days between.  It also came back a second day, but I think he was exhausted because I was unable to stay home and let him rest while he was sick. 
  We have not been able to logically trace this to any food allergies or contaminated products and no one else gets sick, so I don't think it is a new illness each time.  We have a cat that never goes outside, eats raw meat, etc. and we wipe her paws and fur every morning & night plus a bath every two weeks (for dander) so I don't think it could be from her.
  I finally scheduled an appointment with a pediatrician for tomorrow and I plan to ask for parasite and allergy testing, and I was considering taking him to the chiropractor for an evaluation because he did fall down a couple of steps, but my husband told me to hold off on that.
  PLEASE, if anyone has any idea of what this is or how to treat it tell me.  Even if it's a long shot.  Thanks!  ~L

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 12:57:53 PM »
maybe with the stomach flu puking everything in his belly up it got rid of all good and bad stuff in his belly. Have you given him a good probiotic to repopulate his gut? How many times has he had it? Has anyone else in the house had a "re infection" ?  Does he get a fever at all? will be praying

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 03:11:31 PM »
I did give him the TTU once, but it was difficult to get it down.  (I plan to start this more diligently after the stool samples or whatever tests he has done tomorrow because I don't want anything misleading to show up.  No one else has had a relapse, and he never gets a fever which is why I was thinking parasite.  But I wasn't sure what kind or what to do for a little one.  Thanks for the prayers!   ~L

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 04:20:14 PM »
Could it be an allergy, possibly to milk? 

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 05:28:38 PM »
My guess is that his gut wasn't repopulated so well and maybe a parasite took up residence or there is still some of the bug in him. I would guess some gr8dophilus/ttu and basic parasite cleanse stuff like pumpkin seeds, etc. would help.
Based on what I normally keep on hand I would do

-Sambucol - 1/2 - 1 tsp of Sambucol 3x a day. I use Nature's Way Original syrup even w/ my little ones (22 months)
http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:FTCoTSgPZWMJ:www.sambucol.com/index.cfm%3Fid%3D343+sambucol+parasites&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=firefox-a1- (about Sambucol and parasites/immunity)

-GSE - 1-3 drops 3x a day. I use Nutribiotics which has 33% citradel (you have to dilute this properly) (I would do it in the 1/2 -1 tsp of Sambucol w/ a little extra water added...but I've never researched as to wether those 2 would counter act or contradict each other)
http://www.pureliquidgold.com/parasites1.htm (about GSE & parasites - at the bottom of the page)

- 1-2  tsp of Virgin Organic Coconut Oil in food in separated "doses" through out the day (in oatmeal, on bread, etc etc)
http://www.coconut-connections.com/parasites.htm (about coconut oil and parasites, again mostly at the bottom of the page)

-Pumpkin seeds

-2-3 caps opened up and sprinkled in his mouth of gr8dophilus (TTU)

I would also probably add goat milk yogurt/kefir and get some fresh young coconuts and have him drink some of the coconut water daily. That's my 2 cents...they are all things that would be no harm regardless (w/ the exception of GSE...I wouldn't do that w/ my kids internally on a regular basis...but the rest I could see no harm in doing even if it wasn't parasites) and most of the things I mentioned are anti-virals...so if it was a lingering virus it should kick that too! I would make sure he drank PLENTY though cause all those things should CLEAN HIM OUT BIG TIME!

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2008, 04:26:41 AM »
  DMWT, My first thought was also a milk allergy  ;) because he always drank raw milk until recently, but I have already cut that out completely and there was no improvement.   
  Chrissyjoy, thank you so much!  I was actually planning to follow almost exactly that regimen but it took me all night reading and researching to find so many safe and gentle things for a little guy.  You have them all listed so nicely in one post!
  The doctor said that we should collect a stool sample the next time he has a bout because the parasite would be more concentrated then, so I think I will wait to treat until after I collect a sample.  I feel badly putting him through another day of misery, but I would like to know exactly what he has so that I can be sure to handle any side affects.
  (I know this isn't likely, but my dh found out this weekend that a friend's wife had an undetected parasite for years and by the time it was diagnosed, it had attacked other organs and done too much damage.  She will not live much longer.  Obviously this is rare, but I promised I would take all the precautions I could if he would let me treat at home before trying the meds they recommend.)   ~L

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 04:02:57 AM »

Here is the link.

MexMarr,
I'm curious as to what happened to your daughter.
Is she free of parasites? Is she growing?

Offline Missy

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 11:27:33 AM »

Here is the link.

MexMarr,
I'm curious as to what happened to your daughter.
Is she free of parasites? Is she growing?

Bump!  I would like to know as well!

Offline McAfeeFam

• Learning
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2009, 09:43:33 AM »
Help! I am so confused.
I have been reading on this topic for days but I just don't know what to do. It has actually kept me up at night!
I am pretty sure our family has parasites. We have a dog, cats, chickens and horses and live in AZ where the temp is pretty nice all year.
We have 5 kids ages 10,8, 4, 2 & 11 mo. I am still nursing the 11 mo old.
I'm afraid we are on a very limited income and can't afford to buy the popular anti-parasite formulas to treat the whole family.
I have started giving my 10 and 8yr old GSE/OJ 2X a day, spoonful of coconut oil and handful of raw pumpkin seeds.
For the 4 & 2 yr old I have given them Pumpkin seeds & coconut oil
For the baby I give him Coconut oil and ground pumpkin seeds in yogurt and I have been taking GSE, probiotics, enzymes & swallowed a garlic clove.
All these things we already had on hand.
So I am basically asking (begging) for someone to give me the best plain and simple way to treat all these ages and really get rid of these nasty creatures.