Author Topic: quick and easy desserts  (Read 49194 times)

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
Re: quick and easy desserts
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2007, 04:31:20 PM »
2 Ingredients:
8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 pkg. Oreos
Put in the f. pr. till oreos are blended.  Shape into balls with spoon or scoop (it may be helpful to chill a little first) then dip in melted choc.  They are fantastic!  I ate them first at a Christmas party, and thought they were some expensive dessert, only to find out it's just oreos and crm chz!  I have made them a couple times and they have disappeared in no time.  You can also drizzle them w/ white choc. to make them fancier, and I've also been told that they are as good or better if you use the "white" Oreos and dip in wht. choc.
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2007, 04:33:06 AM »
Here are two quick and easy and deserts that my mom used to make often. They both use canned biscuits so they're not that good for you but...

Take canned biscuits, separate them, and stretch each one out thin. Put some apple pie filling in the middle of each, fold over and seal. Fry in hot oil till puffed up and golden brown. If you want to get "fancy", take 'em out of the oil and drop 'em in some cinnamon sugar or wait a little bit and dust with powdered sugar. You can use other stuff as filling if you want, like cherry, or peach, ...or chocolate!

The other thing she used to do was take each canned biscuit, cut a hole out of the middle, fry them, drop them in cinnamon sugar while they are still real hot, and call them doughnuts. Then she'd fry the "doughnut holes" too.

WR
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 03:06:05 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2007, 05:11:50 AM »
My mom used to make these for us occasionally as a treat:

Make some cream cheese frosting -- any flavor.
Put it between Graham Crackers to make "sandwiches". 

It's really good, and depending how you make the frosting, it could be relatively "healthy".   ;) :D
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline SamsGirl

• Proverbs 3:5&6
  • Adept
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2007, 05:37:09 AM »
my mom does something similar to Katidids

she mixes pnut butter and whatever flavor jelly might be around (usually grape) - in a small bowl and then we kids use to dip our graham crackers, apples, into this and it was a yummy and quick snack - it looked kind of gross, but was good!
my earthly walk focuses on following Jesus, wife to Samuel, momma to Adela Grace and one more on the way

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2007, 06:32:15 AM »
my mom does something similar to Katidids

she mixes pnut butter and whatever flavor jelly might be around (usually grape) - in a small bowl and then we kids use to dip our graham crackers, apples, into this and it was a yummy and quick snack - it looked kind of gross, but was good!

Oh, yeah...we used to do similar with peanut butter and honey.  We called it "mixed" (like a noun) -- I think my brother started that. 
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline strawberrypeach

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2007, 07:09:27 AM »
2 Ingredients:
8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 pkg. Oreos
Put in the f. pr. till oreos are blended.  Shape into balls with spoon or scoop (it may be helpful to chill a little first) then dip in melted choc.  They are fantastic!  I ate them first at a Christmas party, and thought they were some expensive dessert, only to find out it's just oreos and crm chz!  I have made them a couple times and they have disappeared in no time.  You can also drizzle them w/ white choc. to make them fancier, and I've also been told that they are as good or better if you use the "white" Oreos and dip in wht. choc.
Wow, I am definitely going to have to try this sometime!!  ;)
Zephaniah 3:17

Offline mnbforever

• Learning
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2007, 06:01:09 PM »
No-Oven Peanut Butter Squares

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2 cups powdered sugar
1-1/2 cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
1 cup peanut butter
1-1/2 pkg. (12 squares) Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate

LINE 13x9-inch baking pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. Set aside.
MELT butter in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH 45 sec. until melted. Add sugar, graham cracker crumbs and peanut butter; mix well. Spread into prepared pan.
MICROWAVE chocolate in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1-1/2 to 2 min. or until melted, stirring after each min. Cool slightly; pour over peanut butter mixture in pan. Cool. Cut partially through dessert to mark 48 squares. Refrigerate 1 hour or until set. Lift from pan, using foil handles. Cut all the way through dessert into squares.

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2007, 08:28:52 PM »

2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup peanut butter

LINE 13x9-inch baking pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. Set aside.
MELT butter in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH 45 sec. until melted. Add sugar, graham cracker crumbs and peanut butter; mix well. Spread into prepared pan.
MICROWAVE chocolate in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1-1/2 to 2 min. or until melted, stirring after each min. Cool slightly; pour over peanut butter mixture in pan. Cool. Cut partially through dessert to mark 48 squares. Refrigerate 1 hour or until set. Lift from pan, using foil handles. Cut all the way through dessert into squares.

This is one of my fav recipes!  Ladies, word of caution:  try these once, and the addiction may be too strong for you to go without them again.  They are tooo good!  Unless you WANT to be addicted to a food, then don't do it!!   ;)  Naw, they're always a hit!
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline farmmom

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2007, 04:58:40 AM »
Whooooooo!!!!!!, I simply adore these things,they are truly addicting.
' When through firey trials thy pathway shall lie My Grace all sufficient shall be thy supply the flame shall not hurt thee I only design thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.'

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2007, 10:12:26 AM »

2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup peanut butter

This is one of my fav recipes!  Ladies, word of caution:  try these once, and the addiction may be too strong for you to go without them again.  They are tooo good!  Unless you WANT to be addicted to a food, then don't do it!!   ;)  Naw, they're always a hit!

Mmmmm!  That sounds like Reeses!!

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2007, 09:57:39 AM »
Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

1 C. Peanut Butter   (natural should work)
1/4 t. Salt
1 t. Vanilla
1 C. Flour         (whole wheat should be fine)
1 1/4 C. White Sugar      (sub. w/ Honey?)
3 Eggs
6 T. Butter
1 1/2 C. Chocolate Chips   (there is a fairly healthy chocolate out there, right?)

Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl, combine peanut butter and butter until smooth.  Add sugar, eggs, and vanilla.  Beat until creamy.  Blend in flour and salt.  Stir in one cup chocolate chips.  Spread in a 9 x 13 pan.  Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until edges begin to brown.  Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.  Let stand 5 minutes until chips become soft.  Spread chocolate evenly over top.  Cool completely.

My dad made these last night.  The unhealthy way.... :)  They're really good. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:04:58 AM by *MommaJo* »

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2007, 10:52:44 AM »
Very unhealthy; very rich; very easy

Pot de Creme (pronounced "Po'h de' crem")

1 6 oz pkg of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup cream
2 eggs
2 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt

Heat cream in a saucepan till almost bubbly (stirring frequently).
Put chocolate chips, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a blender, but do not blend yet.  When cream is heated, pour over items in blender.  Now blend.  Pour into fancy cups. Garnish with whipped cream.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2007, 10:56:34 AM »
Ok, here is one for you. My hubby LOVES these and I will probably not make peanut butter cookies the "regular" way again.

Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg

Mix well, about 1 minute by hand. Spoon onto cookie sheet, then flatten with fork doing criss cross pattern.  Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until golden. Let sit for 10-20 minutes then eat. These ones really do need to sit or else they fall apart. makes about a dozen, maybe a little more depending on size. They are delicious! And wheat free!
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

YoopreMama

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2007, 11:49:30 AM »

1 cup cream
2 eggs
2 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt

Put chocolate chips, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a blender, but do not blend yet.  When cream is heated, pour over items in blender.  Now blend.  Pour into fancy cups. Garnish with whipped cream.
THANK you, floydian!  :-*  Looking forward to this!

Amy3js, your cookies are on the GF/CF thread...I think one variation has baking powder...another vanilla..another chocolate chips.  We love this recipe, too!  ;D

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2007, 01:23:49 PM »

1 cup cream
2 eggs
2 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt

THANK you, floydian!  :-*  Looking forward to this!

Amy3js, your cookies are on the GF/CF thread...I think one variation has baking powder...another vanilla..another chocolate chips.  We love this recipe, too!  ;D

Great on romantic date nights!!! ;)

Offline naelund

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2008, 05:54:46 PM »
We have dessert every Friday night, and this week I made basically an eggnog recipe from Mercola's site.  It was really easy, and even though it is good just as the recipe instructs, we added a little honey.  It even makes a froth on top.  It is very simple and the kids loved it.  Plus, raw eggs and milk are so healthy!

http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/A-Novel-Way-to-Consume-Raw-Eggs-12367.aspx

Thanks Nikole for that link. Eggnog has got to be one of my favorite treats around this time of year, but I don't really drink it anymore because of the sugar/corn syrup. I was thrilled to drink it again.

I also have some delectable and super simple chocolate recipes

Chocolate truffles (very healthy!)

8 oz 100% dark chocolate (pure chocolate, no sugar added)
1/4-1/2 cup honey (or more depending on how sweet you like it)
2/3 cup raw heavy cream or plain yogurt
cocoa powder for dusting

Melt chocolate, honey and cream in pot on low until all lumps are out. Set aside to set (about 1.5 hours-2 hours). Make into one inch balls and roll around in cocoa powder until lighty coated. Place on baking sheet with parchment paper and let set for about an hour. Rich and creamy and melts in your mouth! I made these for a dinner party and they were gone within minutes!

Homemade chocolate pudding

Cocoa powder
plain yogurt
honey

add ingredients to taste and mix all together. Yummmm! SOmetimes we add a banana and some peanut butter.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 06:03:24 PM by naelund »

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2008, 10:27:27 AM »
Follow a recipe for chocolate chip cookies, only leave out the chocolate chips, add 1/2 tsp almond extract, and a bunch of cinnamon (I didn't measure). The kids said they are wonderful and that they would be even better with icing like cinnamon rolls.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline ShannaC

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2008, 07:32:18 PM »
Haven't tried this, but it looks good! From, Eat Fat Lose Fat.

Easy Coconut Pudding
2 cans whole coconut milk
2 cups freeze dired coconut

Where do you get freeze dried coconut? or can you use regular shredded coconut?
Thanks!

Offline ShannaC

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2008, 11:11:15 AM »
bump....

Offline gr8topraise

• Learning
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2008, 01:36:41 PM »
My friend gave me this recipe that her mom always made. It's a heart attack waiting to happen, but it's quick, easy, and insanely delish.

Chocolate Chip Pie
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup melted butter
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts(optional)
unbaked pie shell(I use a graham cracker crust)

Melt butter in a mixing bowl.  Add all of the ingredients, EXCEPT the chocolate chips.  Mix very well with a whisk or hand mixer.  Fold in chocolate chips.  Make sure you place the pie on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour.  Top will be golden brown.
Make the most of every moment. :D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2008, 03:39:14 PM »
Chocolate Peanut Butter FIX

When I made this I "dumped" everything in.  I then made it again and measured, but I'm thinking I should have added more cocoa.  I don't think you could really mess it up.  I got the idea from someone (sorry can't remember) who made something like this with coconut oil.  I was low on coconut oil and butter, so I just tried it like this.  Very good.

1/4 cup natural peanut butter
2 T Honey
2 T Cocoa
1 T Crushed Flax Seed

Mix well - careful the cocoa will fly!  Eat with a spoon or I suppose you could make balls or something out of it and chill like soft candy.  Ours didn't last long enough to worry about the shape or temperature.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2008, 09:10:07 AM »
HEEEEEEEEELP!
Today is my uncles birthday and I need an easy from scratch recipe for a cake.  I have jello, too.
Any ideas.
I was going to do a boxed angel food cake and I opened the box to find BUGS!

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2008, 09:11:43 AM »
HEEEEEEEEELP!
Today is my uncles birthday and I need an easy from scratch recipe for a cake.  I have jello, too.
Any ideas.

Are you going to have to go to the grocery store?

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2008, 09:23:36 AM »
Chocolate pudding cake is very easy and good and the ingredients are pretty simple.  I wish I had time to post the recipe but I don't.  I think MamaofAngels has a similar recipe on here.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2008, 09:51:34 AM »
HEEEEEEEEELP!
Any ideas.

If chocolate is OK this cake is excellent and fast and easy!:
Vinegar [Egg Free] Cake

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2008, 10:11:59 AM »
HEEEEEEEEELP!
Any ideas.

Are you going to have to go to the grocery store?

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,6171.msg65406.html#msg65406

Hey, I sent you this one before.  It is easy.  I promise.  And good too.

Although chocolate cake does sound wonderful today. 

Hmph.  Everything on here sounds wonderful today.  Trying to lose weight. >:( ::)

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2008, 04:05:07 PM »
Ok here's a quick one my family loves. i just need some suggestion in replacing the oil in it.
   Cocoa ALmond Pudding Treat
      1 1/3 cups of sugar (divided-but i don't use near this much)
      1 cup flour
      1/4tsp salt
      2 tsps baking powder
     1/4 cup vegetable oil (would butter work you think? coconut oil? with almond?)
     1/2 cup of milk
     1 tsp vanilla extract
     1/4 tsp almond extract
     1/4 cup cocoa pwder
      1 cup of boiling water

Preheat oven to 350degrees. Grease a 2-quart baking dish. combine 2/3 cup sugar, flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Add oil, milk, and vanilla and almond extracts to flour;mix well. Spread batter in prepared baking dish. Combine cocoa and remaining sugar in a small bowl. sprinkle over batter. pour boiling water over batter;DO NOT STIR!!  Bake until top looks cracked and crisp, about 30 mins. Let cool slightly; serve warm.

We eat this with some icecream or whipped cream OH SO GOOD and then i can get away with less sugar in the mix.

OH and note there are no eggs in this recipe!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2008, 04:58:21 PM »
Oh, that sounds heavenly, kittyninja!  I would substitute coconut oil, too!!  MMmmmmmm!!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2008, 05:05:46 PM »
It does sound good. I think I might play with it to see if I can turn it into a version my kids can eat.

Anyway, I think either coconut oil or melted butter would work just fine. I know that I have used melted butter in cake mixes that called for veg. oil & they worked fine. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Sunshine06

• Psalm 115
  • Adept
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2008, 04:01:35 AM »
As requested on the Chat thread, here's my cornbread recipe. This is a custardy, sweet cornbread that's great for dessert or breakfast.  ;)

Three-Layer Cornbread

½ - ¾ cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
½ cup sugar
¼ oil
3 cups milk
2 eggs
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon

Combine all dry ingredients, then add in wet ingredients. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake 350F for 45-50 minutes. Time will vary depending on oven. Center should be jiggly as it is a custard, but not watery. Enjoy! :)
Non nobis, non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory.