Author Topic: Constipation Following [After] Childbirth  (Read 13678 times)

Offline trainmom

• Learning
Constipation Following [After] Childbirth
« on: May 10, 2007, 06:19:58 AM »
Has anyone else experienced horrible constipation and hemmrhoids after giving birth.  I also have a bit of a tear so pushing seems impossible but I can tell that I must go soon.  I am in a lot of pain and I don't know what to do.  It has almost been a week.  The constipation is making the afterbirth pains worse and I am in constant pain in the front and back.
Sorry to be so graphic but my Dr. is just telling me that I will be able to go when I have to but I have to NOW and I just can't.  I don't think an enema would be safe with all the hemmrhoids.  I think I have hemmroids on the inside also.
I was constipated after my first also and it took a week and it was almost as bad as giving birth. 
If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Offline SarahK

• Master
Re: Constipation Following [After] Childbirth
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 07:12:11 AM »
At this point I would recommend Milk of Magnesia and a bunch of water.  Should be .. uh... good to go in about 12-24 hours.  For the surface pain in that area, there is a spray called Dermaplast that is a topical antisthetic.  Once you get this first huge hurdle behind you (golly, the pun potential is huge here..), you should be back to near normal.  But since it has been a week, you want to get this thing taken care of ASAP so you can start feeling better.  To most folks, this fix won't fall into the catagory of "super natural".

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 07:24:16 AM »
Put 1-2 tsp of Epsom salts in a small glass of water.  You should have a bowel movement within a few hours. Hope you find some relief for your hemorrhoids!  I know how painful they can be.
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1731.0.html

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 08:16:21 AM »
How about mixing castor oil with orange juice and drinking some?  It REALLY got things going for me once.  It said to take 2 Tablespoons on the label, and I took 1 teaspoon and it was puh-lenty!  The OJ just makes it more palatable.

Sitting in salt water will help with the hemorrhoids and the tear, too.  I used the really cheap Morton's iodized salt in a warm bath that is about 5-6 inches high.  I super saturate the water with salt because around here it's like $.33 for 2 lbs.  Hope you feel better soon!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline mrs_zog

• Adept
  • Joseph's Coat rose bush:a gift from my parents
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 09:28:26 AM »
I know exactly what you mean by "almost as bad as giving birth." After our second child, I was so constipated, I would have rather given birth again than, well, you know.

Here is my Mom's bran muffin recipe. I made it and ate several the first couple of days, then two a day kept me happy until everything healed.

30-Day Bran Muffins

2 1/2 c. bran flakes
2 c. toasted wheat germ
1 c. sesame seeds
2 c. brown sugar
5 c. whole wheat flour
5 teas. baking soda
1 teas. salt
4 eggs
2 c. milk
2 c. buttermilk
2 c. boiling water
1 c. oil
1/2 c. molasses
1 c. honey

It's best to begin with fresh ingredients.
Mix all dry ingredients in very large bowl (4 quarts or bigger)
Mix all liquids except eggs and boiling water.
Make a well in the center of the dry mixture. crack the eggs into the center. Beat eggs, then pour in liquid mix. Mix well!

Add boiling water and stir thoroughly. Let sit for a while to let the baking soda "work." Then put in quart jars (4) or large containers. Refrigerate for up to 30 days, but it's better to bake often and/or freeze baked muffins.

Bake at 375 degrees, 15-20 minutes.

If batter separates while in refrigerator, just stir it until thoroughly mixed and proceed with baking.

Options: You can substitute for the wheat germ other ingredients like flax seed, sunflower seeds, all kinds of nuts other grains, raisins, coconut, etc. Add a little cinnamon for a different flavor.

It's one of those recipes that when Mom makes it, it never turns out the same twice as she cannot help but change things here and there--as evidenced by the options at the end. You could probably substitute other things for the sesame seeds too.

HTH!
A woman is like a tea bag--only in hot water do you realize how strong she is. ~Nancy Reagan

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 12:33:49 PM »
Eating only 6+ prunes a day will keep you regular!!  You might have to experement, but I did that when I was having a major problem with this.  The dried prunes that you can get at the grocery store.

Offline trainmom

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 12:57:09 PM »
Thank you for all the great information and ideas.  I don't know how to say this without totally embarassing myself but as I said, I am a bit desparate.  I think that what is in there is very hard.  So much so that I can feel it needing to come out.  I'm afraid of getting unconstipated up above and still not being able to move anything because I cannot push out what is stuck below.  Does that make sense?  Does anyone know if it would be safe to do an enema with the hemmroids?  I can't think of any other way of getting past this. 

Offline mrs_zog

• Adept
  • Joseph's Coat rose bush:a gift from my parents
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 01:03:17 PM »
I do't know anything about enemas. I have heard of some sort of solid suppository or capsule though. I think maybe it was glycerin. I wonder if it would be more gentle than an enema.
A woman is like a tea bag--only in hot water do you realize how strong she is. ~Nancy Reagan

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 03:30:06 PM »
   I'm afraid of getting unconstipated up above and still not being able to move anything because I cannot push out what is stuck below.  Does that make sense? 

I don't know anything about enemas having never done one but I know exactly how you are feeling - I was the same after my secondborn.  Oh- it feels so horrible!  You can loosen everything up above a blockage if the blockage is that dense and that will make you feel even worse.  I don't know what natural things to recommend - my 3 yr old dd has major problems at the moment and all the food advice in the world is not making a difference.  I was prescribed some kind of cream in a tube that reduced the haemorroids and helped with the constipation and after I'd sorted it out medically then I made sure to keep up with the prunes, water, kiwifruit etc to make sure it didn't happen again.  The biggest problem was the haemorroids - mine were internal and it felt like I was trying to push out broken glass!  Am feeling very sorry for you - hope and pray you find relief soon.
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline EverLearning

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 03:59:45 PM »
I recently had a problem with constipation.  On recommendation, I fasted for a day and drank a gallon of apple cider (not vinegar, just pure cider).  It took until evening and then I had gentle diarrhea (sp?) with no cramping or discomfort several times within a period of two hours or so.  The next morning, I passed a long, thick, bowel (solid and twisted - looked like an umbilical cord).  Yes, I know it's gross, but it was such a relief.  I have had no problem since.  I am also nursing a 4 month old and it had no adverse effects on her.  I hope that you will get some relief soon.

Amy

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 04:29:44 PM »
I do't know anything about enemas. I have heard of some sort of solid suppository or capsule though. I think maybe it was glycerin. I wonder if it would be more gentle than an enema.

I use the glycerin suppositories and I find them to be very helpful.

Offline trainmom

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 06:10:37 PM »
lalalalalalalalalalalalallalalalalalalallalalalalallalalalallallalalalallalal....................................
Okay, I did the enema and everything was so compacted and the hemmrhoids were so bad that I could hardly get anything out.  It was AWFUL.  Extremely painful.  A lot did come out but not everything so I used more and it was even worse the next time but more did come out.  It made my hemmrhoids even worse and now I hurt every time I try to stand up or sit down but all in all I do think it was worth it.  It feels very good to not still feel constipated and the cramping is gone so that is a relief.  Now I am going to eat a ton of fruit over the next few days and drink lots of water and maybe even try those muffins and see if I can keep things going.  Thank you for all the input.

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 06:18:55 PM »
You still need to deal with the haemorroids though or it will continue to hurt :-\  Glad things are getting better though.
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline jyoungwerth

• Wide Eyed
    • Jim's Devos
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 05:01:45 PM »
I think I may have gotten c. difficle while having a surgery after giving birth (I birthed at home but had to go to the hospital to be repaired afterwards.).  Can anyone recommend a natural therapy with probiotics that would work?  I just ordered a bunch from beeyoutiful to restock my supply  :)

Also, even though I am having bouts of diarrhea, I keep getting horribly constipated since giving birth on May 17th every time I try to take my Supermom vitamins.  I had no trouble with constipation during pregnancy.  I would really like to take the Supermoms because I have had low iron and low blood volume since the birth and the doctors are starting to get concerned.  Any tips to help me alleviate the constipation?

Thanks for any help!!!!!
Jenny

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 05:12:36 PM »
Hi there!  :)  My 7 yr.old had Clostridia.  He also caught his in a hospital during a stay for a severe infection (or at least we think that's when he caught it).  Anyway, he was tested for yeast and the Clostridia showed up on there, that's how we knew he had it, plus the symptoms of crankiness, diarrhea, irritability, etc.  The nutritionist at the lab said the only strain of probiotic that will SPECIFICALLY attack the clostridia was called Culturelle.  You can get it from Kirkman's Lab, New Beginnings, or Organic Pharmacy.  They had us treat him for three months, one month off, then four more months of treatment.  I think it is gone now.  We just finished his last box last month.  So far the symptoms have not returned.  It is difficult to get rid of, and it always returns after the first treatment.  Once we started treatment he got worse before he got better, but then he started showing improvement.  You can also supplement with S. Boulardii (a beneficial yeast) to help get rid of it.  Anyway, hope some of that info helps!  ;)  It was definitely a difficult thing to deal with for him!  But the Culturelle was great.

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline hodgy

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 01:19:29 AM »
I've also seen this Culturelle available at Wal-mart in the gastrointestinal section. 

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 03:51:58 AM »
I've also seen this Culturelle available at Wal-mart in the gastrointestinal section. 

Are you sure it was the same thing?  Culturelle is a patented product that cannot be reproduced and requires refrigeration at all times.  When you order it from one of the companies that carries it, they have to ship it by 2 day air with ice packs and stuff.

abbilynn

http://www.nbnus.net/shopexd.asp?id=108
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline hodgy

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 11:20:50 AM »
From the look of the picture, it's the same stuff.  I noticed they started carrying it last year.  The instructions at the bottom of the page are the same as the ones that come in the package at Wal-mart.  After I started seeing it at Wal-mart I noticed the HFS also started carrying it. (But now that you mention it, it was in the refrigerated section of the HFS.) Maybe they formulate it different for Wal-mart type shelving.? That was an unusual flip-flop in who had what first!  It costs about $16.00 or $17.00 at Wal-mart.  Which is actually why I don't buy it very often.  Maybe I should re-think that. :) 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 11:23:49 AM by hodgy »