Author Topic: Is homeopathy bad?  (Read 8112 times)

kenshelpmeet

Is homeopathy bad?
« on: May 28, 2006, 05:24:14 PM »
I was wondering if y'all could help me with this.  I've done just a little bit of research due to limited time with five children and my dh deployed.  We've always used the Hyland's homeopathic teething tablets for the children, but was wondering if homeopathy in and of itself is a bad thing to get into.  I don't want to sound strange . . .but is it of occult origin or new age or something? ::)  I've seen two completely different viewpoints so far (as with most things) on the web.  If we use homeopathic remedies, is that something that God would not be pleased with? ???  Or is it a legitimate solution to physical ailments?

If anyone has any insight, I sure would would appreciate your input! 

Offline 3boysmyjoys

• Adept
  • My Three Boys And My Joy
    • Contenders for the Faith
Re: Is homeopathy bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 06:11:02 PM »
I am interested in an answer to this as well.  We've used them for years and just recently someone told me they originated in Africa with the witch doctors! ??? :o

Offline blessedwife

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 07:01:03 PM »
I had this same concern several months ago-- after purchasing a homeopathic "starter" kit for my kids.  It was only after purchasing the kit (I think it was $29 or something close to it) that I began to delve deeper into research on the subject.  I was even ready to make an appointment with a homeopath, only the rather large fee kept me in check. 

Anyway, the more research I did on the subject, the more suspicious I became.  I cannot really explain this clearly, but it there seemed to be something strange about the way in which homeopaths and those advocating the treatments were speaking of it.  For example, I found an article in Mothering magazine (I believe it was two or three months ago) where a mother who claimed to have successfully used homeopathy explained how it had affected her family.  There was some mention of physical healing (including a son with autism who is no longer autistic) but more than that, there seemed to be a greater focus on the subsequent "emotional/spiritual" healing.  Other articles that I found spoke a great deal about homeopathy and personal empowerment and other very New Age-y concepts. 

Finally, I focused my internet research on the Christian viewpoint on the subject (duh... this should have been my first avenue!).  I found a VERY good, informative article which I printed out and now for the life of me can't find. (sigh) When I do come across it, I will be sure to pass it on to anyone who is interested.  I found it by typing in "Christianity and Homeopathy." The article explained the origin of the philosophy/treatment as well as background info. on the homeopathic pioneer, Samuel Hahnemann (spelling may be wrong).  Among other disturbing info. that the article uncovered, I also learned that Hahnemann was VERY involved in Masonry which greatly influenced his medical practice (homeopathic medicine). 

As I prayed about the subject, I felt more and more convicted and then simply tossed out the homeopathic starter kit. 

The other thing that I found strange was that many homeopaths DO NOT advocate the use of herbal medicine (?!) 

I believe that people have been helped through the use of homeopathics, but I am very suspicious as to why it is working for them.  This is just my opinion, but I hope it is of some help.
God bless!

Offline jeniwren

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 07:04:43 PM »
I too use the Homeopathic teething tablets :) I haven't tried any other homeopathic remedies, but am not opposed to the idea. I have a book "Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child" that gives a little bit of history on the practice.
Here's a qoute:
                   "Homeopathy is a system of treatment that uses minute amounts of plant, mineral, and animal substances to stimulate the defensive systems of the body in a very subtle way...The theoretical and empirical basis of homeopathy is a concept called the Law of Similars, often summarized as "like cures like."...instead of focusing on the specific causes of disease (such as viruses and bacteria), it focuses on the specifics of the symptons of disease, as they are experienced by the individual patient."

According to this book the practice originated with Samuel Hahnemann of Leipzig, Germany. He tested his ideas on himself and then on friends and family.
There is no mention of African witch doctors though. It says that homeopathy is practiced mainly in Europe as well as Greece, India, and South America.

I hope this helps. We are open to homeopathic remedies but tend to use herbal remedies first because they're less expensive since you can make them youself.

kenshelpmeet

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 05:21:36 AM »
Thank you, ladies, for your responses.  I certainly don't want to get into anything that would be detrimental spiritually to my family's life.   :-\

I also read somewhere that the remedy called Thuja (I think) has been used to rid the body of the ill effects of immunizations.  I guess maybe it supposedly cleans out the poisons from your system or something.  This is one of the main reasons I started looking into homeopathy a bit more. 

Offline Jason

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 06:45:30 AM »
I see this kind of question all the time. "Is [insert inanimate object] bad because it was invented/made/thought up by pagans?" The Bible tells us the path to heaven is extremely narrow. There are tons and tons of souls barreling down the huge gutter that is the road to hell. You can bank on most of the junk you use on a day-to-day basis being of pagan or heathen origin.

I'll bet snake antivenin was thought up by a person who's probably damned. I'll bet the current stocks of antivenin in my local hospital were made entirely by a chain of pagan or unsaved, nasty people. Were I to get bitten by a snake, I'd probably have to see a whole slew of adulterers, drunkards, liars, and thieves to get some of this stuff that's been made by the hands of unclean people.

I'm still going to get my injection.

I'm also still going to wear sandals, I don't care if it was or wasn't pagan philosophers that came up with the idea for the footwear. Same goes for lots of things in my life. We don't celebrate Christmas in my home, but no one's going to tell me I can't give a gift, whether it be on December 25 or any of the other 364 days in the year.

Brothers and sisters: Don't get caught up in semantics. You may not see coming what's truely evil out there! Praise God when we can find something that genuinely helps our families, especially if he used the devil to bring it to us. I'm reminded of the cliché Christian joke of the starving old woman and the atheist. "Praise the Lord. He brought me all this food and made the devil pick up the check!"

For the record, my family does not use homeopaths. I've never found them to be effective and I consider the concept rather absurd, but that's just me. If they work for you, fantastic. Keep popping 'em.

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 03:32:27 AM »
Jesus formed every part of every plant on the earth, and He made man ruler over it. It doesn't matter what man says or does; God is sill the Lord of all Creation and the cattle on 10,000 hills still belong to Him.

The idea of making tea originated in Buddhist China. Essential Oils were first extracted in uncircumcised Persia and morbid Egypt. The pills you are perscribed by your local doctor were most likely forumlated by atheist scientists in a lab funded with the same funds that also support abortionists and embryo testing.

It doesn't matter if some heathen shaman witch doctor did do a pagan dance over every plant used in your bottle of tablets. All he did was get some excercize. He's not capable of harming your soul or cursing your body. You're bought with a price. God purchased you with the blood of His Son, Jesus Christ. No lost, damned pagan, serving Satan (also damned), can honestly tamper with a soul whom Jesus Christ has washed clean and called His Own. "And [Peter] saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending upon him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' But Peter said, 'Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.' And the voice spake unto him again the second time, 'What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.'" - Acts 10:11-15
Jesus saved you from your sins, not to leave you open to be cursed by someone else's sins. The old man, the earthly man, is dead. You're alive to life.  :D

Next time you take a tablet, give the Lord due praise. "Thank you Jesus for --------." Let the little ones hear you say it.  ;)

"And, having made peace through the blood of His cross, by Him to reconcile all things unto Himself; by Him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven." - Colossians 1:20

:)

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 05:49:53 AM »
The Wikipedia article on Homeopathy is a very good introduction to the subject. There are a few important points to be made.

1) Homeopathy is based on the idea that a substance can "transmit" its properties to water in the process of shaking.
2) Homeopathy does not limit itself to herbs and plants... but to just about anything that can be shaken in water.
3) Homeopathic preparations often contain no amount of the original herb or whatever was used to "sensitize" the water
4) Homeopathy seems to work in many cases.

I am not saying that Homeopathy is bad... however, it is not a very likely philosophy in my opinion. There are a lot of "frequency medicine" folks out there, some have very interesting ideas. I especially like the idea behind the Rife Machine and other frequency generators.

Having said all that, I have indeed used Humphrey's #3 Homeopathic for teething... and it seemed to work pretty well. Of course I have also used three drops of clove oil diluted in a tablespoon of olive oil. You can put this in a little jar and just dab your finger in it and then rub it lightly on your child's gums. This also works pretty well!

--gabe

kenshelpmeet

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 07:19:58 AM »
Thanks so much for all of the info.  You've all helped ease my mind on this matter!  Our God is Lord over all, isn't He!  :D Gina

Offline Prov31Woman

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 11:56:26 AM »
I'd just like to give my experience with homeopathy.  We were introduced to it by a Christian midwife a dozen years ago and I use it as commonly as herbs or vitamins.  I loooove Arnica.  When you take it before, during and after childbirth, you can just about ride a bicycle the next day.  I do not exaggerate!  ;D   Arnica is very useful for shock (accidents and traumatic injuries, surgery, broken bones) and bruising from impact.  We've spared many a painful bruise to kids who've sofa-dived headfirst into tables and so forth.  We were also able to successfully heal a fractured tailbone (earned jumping over a mogul on my son's first skiing run out on his second day ever skiing!!!) within a little over a week with a combination of internal Arnica and an arnica ointment applied to the skin over the coccyx.  Cantharis, Aloe and vitamin E shortened the healing of a very severely burned palm when my son was a baby quite dramatically, and prevented any scarring at all.

Three of my four children have a genetic bone disease which we manage with herbs, supplements and homeopathy, instead of the potentially dangerous (kidney-damaging in this case) allopathic drugs which are typically prescribed.  We use various homeopathics (phosphorous, calc phos, calc carb and so forth) to mitigate some of the bad effects of their disease ... gum abscesses, loose teeth, severe growing pains (bone pain) at times. 

It's been a real blessing to our family in many ways, just as herbal medicine, homebirth, natural diet and other various natural means to health have been.  We continue to love and serve the Lord with passion and joy, to share his gospel, and to help others in whatever appropriate ways we can, and have never given much concern over it.  I know herbs are used by worldly midwives to encourage abortions in women who don't want to be pregnant, yet herbs have preserved the life of one of our babies in utero.  I thank God for continuing to reveal knowledge of his incredibly complex and magnificent creation to us, that we can use it for good and not for evil!

On the down side of homeopathy, I don't think people commonly make their own homeopathics.  It's not a hard thing to wildcraft herbs or grow your own and brew up a cup of tea or make a poultice.  Vitamins and other supplements (i.e. glandular extracts and so forth) and homeopathics, on the other hand, do not encourage self-sufficiency very well.

Just my 2 cents!

Offline Mom2four

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 01:49:30 PM »
I just wanted to comment on this topic.  I logged on to ask the exact question:  Is homeopathy bad?? ALittleMore, thank you for your post - it was excellent and very encouraging.  I was introduced to homeopathics a few years ago by our Christian chiropractor.  I just took her word for it and we started using a few things - pretty much Arnica, Apis Mellifica, and Belladonna.  I only recently started hearing conflicting things about the origin of homeopathics and the "essence" of an herb.  It sounds absurd to me -- and I can't give rave reviews on anything else, but that Arnica works!!!  It will take away bruising and soreness almost instantly.  Taking it after childbirth works wonders!!

We have kind of moved away from it and use herbs now, because I really like learning about it and I would love to someday grow our own herbs.  I just enjoy the learning process more.  I have to say, I still have plenty of arnica on hand though, but maybe when it runs out, I will buy some Arnica leaf and make a tincture!

Offline kentuckymommy

• KentuckyMommy
  • Adept
    • The Path Less Traveled
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 03:48:36 PM »
I too have heard many conflicting arguments for and againest homeopathic remedies and their use. While I am not sure what to believe, I do know that there are many herbs and supplements also made by newagers and pagens and witches which 'we' take unknowingly. Unless we know the source of every thing put into our supplements how can we know...
My family takes the stand of avoiding things we know are 'unclean' and praying over EVERYTHING we take into our bodies.
How can we lose if we give all things over to Christ?!
Ashley, sweetheart to Jesse and mamabear to five little babes...Emily Grace (10), Jeremiah David (8.5), Joshua Caleb (6), Bethany Joy (3.5), and Jonathan Paul (14 months)!

Dear hubby scared Miah when we was 18 months and Miah told Daddy," You carin' me dad, you care!" Very cute!

Offline happysprings5

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 04:51:22 PM »
My two cents.....
My hubby & I both see a homeopath....Let me share how it worked for me...I was having trouble w/ bleeding for 3+ weeks and the OB wanted to put me on BC, I instead made an appt w/ a lay homeopath.....long story short, she met w/ me and we talked about 2 hrs about my health history etc.....they want to get a picture of your overall health, not just treat the one symptom, but treat your overall health...anyway, it went well. She gave me a homeopathic remedy and it has worked well to stop the bleeding & get me back on track on my cycle......I believe this was an answer to prayer & something God used in my life, plus a great opportunity to share Christ's love with this lady.We have had several opportunities to witness to her. She does not discourage the use of herbs either. Just my experience~ hope this encourages someone! Pray about it!! God will give you wisdom about what methods to use (herbs, homeopathic remedy or even Dr's).....

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 03:26:26 AM »
I find that SOME homeopathic remedies work well, however, I find their reasoning (basis for the method) to be questionable. Just as injecting someone with enough of an illness to cause their immune system to respond and create a resistance to the disease (immunizations) can have detrimental effects (and don't always work), I find that homeopathy follows similar lines of logic. So, while I might test a remedy here and there, I would be wary of placing a loved one under the care of a practitioner.

To my mind, all of this comes under the heading of a line of thought that 'treats' the disease instead of supporting the health of the body so that it can defend itself successfully against the disease/illness -- although I am aware that some of homeopathy does recognize the body's systems and attempt to support them. Just as with trained MD's, I would be cautious, educate myself on my options and take their advice as just that -- advice. The final decision is yours.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline MommabyHisgrace

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 03:32:53 AM »
I find that SOME homeopathic remedies work well, however, I find their reasoning (basis for the method) to be questionable. Just as injecting someone with enough of an illness to cause their immune system to respond and create a resistance to the disease (immunizations) can have detrimental effects (and don't always work), I find that homeopathy follows similar lines of logic. So, while I might test a remedy here and there, I would be wary of placing a loved one under the care of a practitioner.

To my mind, all of this comes under the heading of a line of thought that 'treats' the disease instead of supporting the health of the body so that it can defend itself successfully against the disease/illness -- although I am aware that some of homeopathy does recognize the body's systems and attempt to support them. Just as with trained MD's, I would be cautious, educate myself on my options and take their advice as just that -- advice. The final decision is yours.

Well said!  I couldn't agree with you more!  It is best to really educate ourselves in all areas of alternative medicine and make sure that it we are open to how God would lead us in these areas.  Some of the origins of these alternative ways of healing are very contradictory to God's word.  And remember we couldn't be lured in if none of them worked!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 04:53:13 AM »
I would have to agree with ALittleMore's position on homeopathy.  My family has used a wide variety of allopathic and natural medicine over the years, with a variety of results.  We now are wholeheartedly believers in natural medicine. 
As far as the history of alternative medicine and practices, don't forget to educate yourself regarding allopathic (MD's) doctors as well.  Start by reading 'MalePractice'.   Although there is a lot of money and prestige behind the MD's, they are relatively new to the scene. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13