Author Topic: Fused Vaginal Opening in Infancy (at Birth)  (Read 37093 times)

Offline Lavender~Rosemary

• Adept
Re: Fused Vaginal Opening in Infancy (at Birth)
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2007, 04:28:47 PM »
diaperswper,
This is just a thought, but have you checked her for pinworms?  Sometimes those nasty things do inter the vaginal area and cause irritation and itching.  The best time to check is late at night with a light.  I know this is not pleasant  either, but that is what comes to mind for me.  (unfortunately we have dealt with that too)
I never thought of that.  I'll have to check that out.  Thanks.
Stacy

Offline fairflowers

• Learning
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2007, 12:42:45 PM »
My midwife's daughter was born with this problem.  Her recommendation is to simply leave it alone - it will open on its own eventually.

I'm not sure I would put estrogen cream on a young child.   

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2007, 03:26:48 PM »
I had this when i was small, my mom took me to doc and had it snipped open, I dont remember any pain, I had a friend who had it and it was not taken care of, it severly interfered with sex after they were married. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2007, 07:26:36 AM »
I had this when i was small, my mom took me to doc and had it snipped open, I dont remember any pain, I had a friend who had it and it was not taken care of, it severly interfered with sex after they were married. 
Do you suppose this has anything to do with your problems with BV?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Jlynn

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2007, 12:34:13 PM »
Another praise for all the info here on WTM  :) ...my sister called this morning and said my niece had this problem and had I ever heard of it.  A week ago, I never had...until reading this thread. So emailed her the link and she was able to educate herself on it.  She used the coconut oil and worked it open herself and will be keeping an eye on her.  Thanks....
"It becomes us to spend this life only as a journey toward Heaven....to
 which we should subordinate all other concerns of life.  Why should we
 labor for or set our hearts on anything else, but that which is our
 proper end and true happiness?" Jonathan Edwards

Offline Lavender~Rosemary

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2007, 02:02:57 PM »
How wonderful!  I wanted to thank everyone for their input.  I truly appreciate your suggestions.  I'm glad to know the coconut oil worked.  That is great!
Stacy

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2007, 06:35:34 AM »
My one year old daughter seems to have a problem in her girl part.  It seems irritated often, and sometimes seems to be closing up.  I started giving her pau d' arco tea and lots of probiotics, and it seemed to open up again.  Well, I ran out of probiotics and started giving her blueberries (she also had bad, fishy smelling pee).  Well, her pee doesn't smell but she's looking closed up (not completely), squirms and cries when I wipe her, and has a mild, cottage cheesy looking discharge (there isn't very much of it, but it happened the last time she got really bad, when I had put disposable diapers on her for the first time in a while).  The only remedies I have been able to find are hormone creme and taking her to the doctor to rip it apart!  NOT doing that.

Has anyone had experience with treating this naturally?  I searched the internet and found nothing.  I don't know if it has a clinical name or not, couldn't find that either.  My poor baby!  I'm giving her probiotics again (just got them yesterday) and maybe I'll do some more pau d' arco with the blueberries......

I'd really appreciate any help I could get.  Thanks!!

Offline Issa

• Learning
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2007, 03:24:46 PM »
I need some insight if anyone has heard of this or dealt with it themselves and what to do!  My daughter is 1 and was born with her vagina partially closed.  The doc said to use estrogen cream to thin the skin and it would open the rest up (the top half is closed...looks stuck together).  I didn't like the idea of using that cream and my midwife said by age 2 it should open on it's own and to nothing but make sure it stays as dry as possible.  Im just looking for a 3rd oppinion so we don't have to deal with a surgeon down the road incase my doing nothing does not work. Thanks in advance!
If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2007, 03:33:33 PM »
HERE is a thread that addresses this issue!  I hope you find the answers you are looking for!

Blessings!
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline railroaderswife

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2007, 03:41:32 PM »
My daughter was born normal, but somewhere along the way she started getting recuring UTI's. We went to a urologist and he said that acidic urine caused the skin to get raw and then grew together. It looked like it was stuck together. Then the fact that the skin was together cause urine to pool behind the skin and cause more infections. We had to do the surgery thing and then they wanted me to do the estrogen cream. I said no on that. Any way - that was 2 years ago and we haven't had anymore problems. However - the nurse we had said that her daughter had the same problem at birth and that ALOT of baby's have this problem. I really don't have any advice I guess, but if it does come to surgery, let me say that it is DEFINANTLY harder on Mama! My daughter did just fine and we went home 2 hours later. Oh - the acidic urine was caused by to much OJ and the like.
Wife to Glenn and Mama to 4 (so far) rambunctious (just sometimes) kids.

Offline Issa

• Learning
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2007, 06:22:21 PM »
Thank you so much.  At least I know it isn't rare...but oddly enough it seems MOST parents dealing with it have never heard about it.  Now I know to look for UTI and limit her natural sugar intake just to be on the safe side...and let her diaper buns air out.  That thread had a lot  of info too...I like the recipe for petroleum replacement!  So thank you for your help. 
If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2007, 07:07:38 PM »
My daughter (18 months) is having the same problem.  I had never heard of it either!  She was closed up at her 1 year checkup, I used the cream for 2 weeks, and it opened up.  However, at her 18 month checkup it was closed again.  >:(  I told her doctor I wasn't comfortable with giving her estrogen cream over and over.   The doctor's answer was that it doesn't normally reclose after the age of two.  Since it is so thin, it's better to use the cream and solve the problem than have it close up worse and need surgery.  If I use the cream now, she probably won't need it again.   I will say that my doctor is very good, is not opposed to natural treatment, and has never argued with me about vaccinations, etc.  That makes me more willing to listen to her.  I decided to go ahead with the cream one more time.  Maybe we can compare notes in a few months...

Offline ShannaC

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2009, 07:06:45 AM »
This thread hasn't been 'in action' for a couple years so thought I would revive it and see if anyone else has any info. particularly on any natural treatments.  My 6 month old dd has his problem. The Dr. has given a prescription for premarin cream.  I am a little hesitant to use it but after just checking my dd again I'm getting more concerned. It seems like it is fused all the way up towards the front and I'm wondering how she even urinates.  Thankfully she does but I need to keep on eye on it. Besides the inner lips being fused, the outer lips are partially fused too.  I am going to try coconut oil for a while but may need to use that cream.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2009, 09:28:15 AM »
hmmm...I had read about lavender oil being a natural form of estrogen.  You may remember the news stories a few years back about some little boys whose Mama was using a lavender eo lotion on them, and they developed breast tissue...which went away after discontinuing the lotion. 

Wonder if coconut oil mixed with lavender oil would help resolve it for you?
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2009, 11:04:38 AM »
We have a thread on the lavender/estrogen thing & the basic agreement was that the Drs didn't take anything else into account that could have caused it & it likely WASN'T the ess oil. Here's the thread:

Lavender & Tea Tree Oil Cause Hormone Imbalance in Boys  

So anyways, point being that lavender MAY help, esp since it has simular components to tea tree oil & tea tree will open fusing skin when used on a healing cut but then again, it might not. Might be worth a try though.

Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2009, 12:41:01 PM »
I haven't read the general consensus on the lavender eo, but I did see it listed as a phytoestrogen (plant estrogen) on a website related to plant & xeno estrogens.  Here is more about it:
http://www.nobreastcyst.com/phyto.html

"From the youngsters and their parents, Bloch learned that at least five boys had been using a shampoo, hair gel, soap, or another topical product that listed lavender oil among its ingredients. One of the products also contained tea tree oil. "A couple of patients were putting pure lavender oil on their skin," he says.

Bloch recommended that the boys stop using lavender-containing products. When they followed his advice, gynecomastia disappeared within a few months.

To verify his hunch that the plant oils were hormonally active, Bloch contacted Derek Henley and Kenneth Korach of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences in Research Triangle Park, N.C. In their lab, the two investigators exposed human-breast cells to lavender oil and, separately, to tea tree oil. They found that each oil turned on estrogen-regulated genes and inhibited an androgen-regulated gene.

"These oils possess both estrogenic and anti-androgenic properties," Henley reported at the Endocrine Society meeting in Boston this week. He adds that the finding is the first to implicate "essential oils" from plants in gynecomastia.

The rapid reversal of gynecomastia that Bloch accomplished is a rare achievement in medicine, comments Ken Ong, a pediatric endocrinologist at the Medical Research Council in Cambridge, England. As such, it strongly suggested a link between the products and the boys' problem."
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline ShannaC

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2009, 01:59:05 PM »
Thanks ladies! I'll try it.

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2009, 06:33:12 PM »
I had this problem with dh #2.  Doc told me to use a little ky and to press down on the area that was fusing together.  Baby hated this!!!  I would get it open but then it would fuse together again.  Finally at 18m of age I applied ky and just forced things apart.  It wasn't too traumatic and she hasn't had any problems since.  She's 4 now and every once in a while I check it out to make sure it's still separated.
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline ShannaC

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2009, 09:18:21 AM »
Wonder if coconut oil mixed with lavender oil would help resolve it for you?

It's working after only 2 days! Yay! Thanks for the idea.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2009, 05:59:18 PM »
Yay!  I read a bit more on the lavender oil, and it not only has phytoestrogens, but it also blocks a hormone called androgenen...which is why it caused problems in boys.  But for something like this, it sounds like a good use!

Offline purewellspring

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2010, 06:27:25 AM »
I thought I'd read something about this on here before. :) Praise the Lord for WTM! I was just changing my 9 mo dd's diaper, and noticed she seemed completely closed except for her ureter...and I can't remember her ever looking like that before. I'll try to Lavender and CO....any ideas WHY this happens? Could yeast overgrowth/the like be a problem? I'm beginning to suspect this in both my girls (older dd, age 2, always seems itchy down there, although I've never noticed she's closed up), and myself. But I don't know how I'd know if this dd had a UTI or something, since she's so young...

just curious. :)

Offline ShannaC

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2010, 12:13:48 PM »
Thought I would update...I used the lavendar and CO for a week or two. It opened up after just 2-3 days. Now I will occasionally put some on. DD is now 20 months. I still think it is somewhat fused but she doesn't seem to have problems.  Our pediatrician said it looked fine and it may open up more during puberty when more estrogen kicks in.  I'm hope that is the case. But for now it seems okay. Hope the lavender and CO works for you!