Author Topic: Can i make soap without lye?  (Read 2247 times)

Offline firecattx

• Adept
Can i make soap without lye?
« on: May 03, 2007, 05:31:05 AM »
I am interested in making bar soap but do not want to attempt lye at this point (too many young kids around).  Are there any other ways to make bar soap?  Can I use glycerin?  Different oils, milk etc? Any recipes and ideas would be great!

Offline Sarahsboys

• Adept
Re: Can i make soap without lye?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 06:03:47 AM »
You can just melt glycerin and add essential oils for scent, if you'd like.  Check out glorybee.com.  Click on Craft Supplies and you will find they have tons of neat stuff to make your own soap.  They have glycerin that you can melt down, or they also have castile soap bases and regular soap bases that you just melt, and add your own fragrance.  I am saving my pennies so I can order from them and make my own glycerin soaps.  They seem to work really well and, on the plus side, they keep my tub from getting gunky with soap scum.  Hope this helps, and happy soap making!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 07:59:37 AM »
Well, you can melt glycerine soap base, and add EOs, but this is not the same stuff as food grade straight glycerine that you might use, for instance, to make tinctures. In this way, you're not technically having to "make" soap, you're just re-melting and re-shaping the soap.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline Sarahsboys

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 08:18:46 AM »
Oh my, yes!  It has to be glycerine soap base.   :) Sorry I wasn't clearer there. I just assumed you'd know what I meant.  Melt and pour soap bases let you "make" soap without having to use lye - on it's own. That has already been done for you. It can be kid-friendly too.  I've done it in the past and am now getting ready to make castile soaps using pre-made soap bars, melting them down and adding lavender oil and flowers.  By doing this you can take basic soap base and make custom soaps for yourself or friends.  The bases at GloryBee are the least expensive I've seen anywhere, and I highly recommend them as I have used their products in the past.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 12:51:51 PM by Sarahsboys »

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 08:38:07 AM »
Sorry, but SOAP (saponification) is what happens when a base (lye) reacts with an oil. You cannot arrive at soap without saponification taking place. Glycerine is one of the by-products of this process.

So, if you are just looking to reassemble soap by-products, you can do so as the lye has already been utilized and neutralized. However, you cannot make soap without lye and oil.

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soapmakingbasics/g/saponification.htm
Definition: Saponification is the chemical reaction that occurs when fats or oils (fatty acids) come into contact with lye (a base.) Saponification literally means "soap making" from the root word, "sapo", which is Latin for soap. The by-products of the saponification reaction are glycerin and soap.

Oils and fats will also have what is called a “saponification value”, which is the amount of lye needed to completely neutralize them into soap with no lye left over. Each oil has a different value, which is why it’s important to always run your recipes through a lye calculator.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 12:19:46 PM by SC »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 12:21:22 PM »
I have done this before with glycerin.  It may not be "real" lye soap, but it works.  My boys get filthy and glycerin soap works on them.  :)  They also sell real soap base here too.
Yes, yours is real lye soap. The glycerin you purchase is a by-product of lye and oil, as is the soap base.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com