Author Topic: Infrequent urination  (Read 4257 times)

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
Infrequent urination
« on: May 02, 2007, 05:45:25 AM »
I seem to have a strange...I hesitate to call it a "problem"...situation with my 4 year old son. He doesn't urinate very often. He can go all night and part of the morning before he feels the need to pee. He only pees twice a day. We quit using nighttime diapers months and months ago because he simply didn't need them. I am very impressed with his bladder control but it bothers me that he can't pee when he gets up in the morning. I give him water and have him sit for a long time but sometimes he simply can't do it! He doesn't seem dehydrated and I give him drinks throughout the day and he takes water to bed at night. He also can only pee if he is sitting on a potty chair...he has a terrible time on the big potty. He's done it before, but not often.

Should I be concerned? It does make my life easier that he doesn't need to pee often and he never has accidents, but I worry that there is some signal missing or a kidney problem of some kind.

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
Re: Infrequent urination
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 06:47:56 AM »
Should I be concerned? It does make my life easier that he doesn't need to pee often and he never has accidents, but I worry that there is some signal missing or a kidney problem of some kind.

I think it has to do with the size of his bladder.  My 3 (almost 4) yo is that way, he only needs to go about 2-3 times a day (but when he does, watch out ;) ) where his older 5yo brother needs to go every 2-3 hours.  They both drink about the same amount, if anthing the little one drinks more.

That doesnt mean there isnt a problem, but if he isnt in pain...the there probably isnt. KWIM.   I think its the size of the bladder.
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 07:06:36 AM »
maybe some people just have a bladder of steal. I have a great-neice that goes to bed early, wakes up early in the morning and does not need to pee until lunch time that afternoon. She is age 9. I dont know how she does it but her bladder must be as tuff as nails.

Maybe it is just an individual thing? I have noticed that males tend to be able to hold their urine in for longer then females, that might be something to consider also.

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 08:00:01 AM »
Thanks guys...my husband told me I was silly to worry but I just wanted to make sure!